EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

 

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2009, 01:14 PM   #241
Seidhkona

Loremaster
Seidhkona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,115
Default

LadyMist wrote:

wow I almost feel like I am reading a eq2flames thread here lol

you dont pay,

yes i do

you dont pay

yes i will

I want that char name duh herr!

wash rinse repeat with big paragraphs and insults

You forgot: 99% of the names people want released are doofus names to boot.

__________________
Seidhkona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:55 PM   #242
Lord Hackenslash

Loremaster
Lord Hackenslash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 496
Default

[email protected] DLere wrote:

LadyMist wrote:

wow I almost feel like I am reading a eq2flames thread here lol

you dont pay,

yes i do

you dont pay

yes i will

I want that char name duh herr!

wash rinse repeat with big paragraphs and insults

You forgot: 99% of the names people want released are doofus names to boot.

Cmon! VVolvveriinee and Driizzttt are awesome names! I dont know what you are talking about?!?

__________________
Lord Hackenslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:03 PM   #243
Ahlana

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,238
Default

[email protected] DLere wrote:

LadyMist wrote:

wow I almost feel like I am reading a eq2flames thread here lol

you dont pay,

yes i do

you dont pay

yes i will

I want that char name duh herr!

wash rinse repeat with big paragraphs and insults

You forgot: 99% of the names people want released are doofus names to boot.

QFE

__________________
Ahlana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:28 PM   #244
Gungo

Loremaster
Gungo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Crushbone
Posts: 5,378
Default

Well my issue is these 1,000's of unpaid accounts causes my paid accounts to have database lag.(This is the reason given to players who want more characters creation slots)

And I do not see any reason why active subscibers should suffer for long unpaid accounts. It is also completely unreasonable to think SOE should keep increasing database requirements as more and more accounts are created and the games active base becomes smaller and smaller.

If removing accounts over 18 months unpaid decreases database latency and allows players in game to have a better experience i am 100% for this change.

There hasnt been 1 reasonable debate stating why we shouldnt remove these accounts from the active database and the active subscribers who continue to foot the bill for these deliquent subscribers.  

Gungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:59 PM   #245
Dasein

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,847
Default

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] DLere wrote:

LadyMist wrote:

wow I almost feel like I am reading a eq2flames thread here lol

you dont pay,

yes i do

you dont pay

yes i will

I want that char name duh herr!

wash rinse repeat with big paragraphs and insults

You forgot: 99% of the names people want released are doofus names to boot.

Cmon! VVolvveriinee and Driizzttt are awesome names! I dont know what you are talking about?!?

If these names are violating the naming policy, then they should be changed. If not, then they are valid names then there is no reason not to free them up for paying customers to use.

__________________
Troll Lord Casywdian
Dasein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:04 PM   #246
Wingrider01

Loremaster
Wingrider01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 5,999
Default

erin wrote:

Wingrider01 wrote:

/rofl - So you are basicly saying that if you want to play eq2 and keep your characters becasue all the "cool and neat names are taken", make sure you do not go into a profession that requires you to travel extensively to locations that do not have acceptable bandwidth available to continue your play for an extended period of time, or be ready to throw your money away to keep your accounts active. Or for that fact, luck forbid that you lose your means of income because of the poor economy for an extended length of time

Yes.  I do not see your logic of a NON paying subscriber having any rights.  You baffle me with that to be honest. How can you possibly feel you have a right to come back and expect your char and your char name to be intact if you STOP PAYING?  If I stop paying for even 1 month, I have no RIGHT to an expectation that anything will be intact when I start paying again.  SOE has, over the years, set the bar high with their keeping of chars intact for many years, but I don't have a right to expect it.

Why is that concept so difficult to understand?  You aren't a paying customer.  You could come back to a blank account.  Sure you could get upset, but to get angry that SOE cleared out their database is illogical at best.

Wingrider01 wrote:

never is a an acceptable time period for any account that has had a paid subscription to it, 3-6 months for a trial account that has never had a paid subscription attached to it.

Wow.  And wait... during this period of time where you ARE NOT PAYING, you expect SOE to pay for maintaining your char right?  However little it is, someone is paying money to keep your char intact.  It sure isn't you.

So SOE can implement a palce holder subscription, a buck or two or so a month that holds your subscription in a semi-active state, you can't play but no one can complain and try to obtain the "cool and neat names" that you have on those accounts. That works, still earns SOE money and protects the accounts

__________________
Fixing computer issues, one SOC7 at a time.

Yes Jim, the user has experienced the dreaded PICNIC error

Wingrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:10 PM   #247
Gungo

Loremaster
Gungo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Crushbone
Posts: 5,378
Default

Wingrider01 wrote:

erin wrote:

Wingrider01 wrote:

/rofl - So you are basicly saying that if you want to play eq2 and keep your characters becasue all the "cool and neat names are taken", make sure you do not go into a profession that requires you to travel extensively to locations that do not have acceptable bandwidth available to continue your play for an extended period of time, or be ready to throw your money away to keep your accounts active. Or for that fact, luck forbid that you lose your means of income because of the poor economy for an extended length of time

Yes.  I do not see your logic of a NON paying subscriber having any rights.  You baffle me with that to be honest. How can you possibly feel you have a right to come back and expect your char and your char name to be intact if you STOP PAYING?  If I stop paying for even 1 month, I have no RIGHT to an expectation that anything will be intact when I start paying again.  SOE has, over the years, set the bar high with their keeping of chars intact for many years, but I don't have a right to expect it.

Why is that concept so difficult to understand?  You aren't a paying customer.  You could come back to a blank account.  Sure you could get upset, but to get angry that SOE cleared out their database is illogical at best.

Wingrider01 wrote:

never is a an acceptable time period for any account that has had a paid subscription to it, 3-6 months for a trial account that has never had a paid subscription attached to it.

Wow.  And wait... during this period of time where you ARE NOT PAYING, you expect SOE to pay for maintaining your char right?  However little it is, someone is paying money to keep your char intact.  It sure isn't you.

So SOE can implement a palce holder subscription, a buck or two or so a month that holds your subscription in a semi-active state, you can't play but no one can complain and try to obtain the "cool and neat names" that you have on those accounts. That works, still earns SOE money and protects the accounts

I actually would have no problem with that. Although I think the database cost is marginal and you would be overpaying, but in your specific example its fair since you would need long times away due to work.

I even think if this was added (which i doubt it would) many accounts would still fall under the canceled subscriptions over 12-18 months and thus be either permanatly deleted or removed from the active database. < this is really my main cause since I believe it would significantly improve loading and database latency for current active subscribers. (This beleif is based on the developers statements that new character slots are limited due to running at or near database capacity)

Gungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:10 PM   #248
Wingrider01

Loremaster
Wingrider01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 5,999
Default

Gungo wrote:

Well my issue is these 1,000's of unpaid accounts causes my paid accounts to have database lag.(This is the reason given to players who want more characters creation slots)

And I do not see any reason why active subscibers should suffer for long unpaid accounts. It is also completely unreasonable to think SOE should keep increasing database requirements as more and more accounts are created and the games active base becomes smaller and smaller.

If removing accounts over 18 months unpaid decreases database latency and allows players in game to have a better experience i am 100% for this change.

There hasnt been 1 reasonable debate stating why we shouldnt remove these accounts from the active database and the active subscribers who continue to foot the bill for these deliquent subscribers.  

So those that are "suffering" can add a another letter to GGGGGAAAAAANNNNDDDDAAAALLLLFFFF or SammieDAAAVIISJRRRR and get a representation of the "cool and neat name"

Hmm 18 mknths now, someone is a previous post claimed that 3 years what the time period that was being bandied about, interesting.

that is a big "IF" you have no knowledge that the purging of account would decrease database access latency, maybe outside of the account database, when correct database and data wharehouse coding 10 or 10 billion records will not make a difference in retrevial time.

Just exactly how are you "footing the bill for these deliquent subscribers"?  What bill and how much are you paying?

__________________
Fixing computer issues, one SOC7 at a time.

Yes Jim, the user has experienced the dreaded PICNIC error

Wingrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:16 PM   #249
Yimway

Loremaster
Yimway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 9,707
Default

Gungo wrote:

I even think if this was added (which i doubt it would) many accounts would still fall under the canceled subscriptions over 12-18 months and thus be either permanatly deleted or removed from the active database. < this is really my main cause since I believe it would significantly improve loading and database latency for current active subscribers. (This beleif is based on the developers statements that new character slots are limited due to running at or near database capacity)

If rows for inactive subscriptions are stored in the same tables / databases as rows for active subscription and thats a performance issue, then I'd like to slap around thier DBA with a very large slimy fish.

There is absolutely no reason to do this.  I'll wager there are more inactive subscriptions than active ones, and it will probably always be true.  

You can store these records on a seperate very low powered database and simply have a procedure that runs when the account is reactivated that moves those records over to live.  Yes, there might be a BRIEF delay from your activation before you can log in, but it would be very brief.

You set up another procedure that runs weekly that moves all inactive rows off live over to the other db for storage.

Distributing databases in this manner is commonplace and any dba worth half his pay would have moved to this model if there was an actual performace issue attributed to inactive subscriptions.

We do this _all_ the time as the storage and cpu space on our primary systems is extremely expensive where are secondary systems have larger, slower, cheaper disks.  Our tertiary storage has disks that don't even spin until that table is requested to lower power requirements for archive data.

__________________
Yimway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:16 PM   #250
Wingrider01

Loremaster
Wingrider01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 5,999
Default

Gungo wrote:

Wingrider01 wrote:

erin wrote:

Wingrider01 wrote:

/rofl - So you are basicly saying that if you want to play eq2 and keep your characters becasue all the "cool and neat names are taken", make sure you do not go into a profession that requires you to travel extensively to locations that do not have acceptable bandwidth available to continue your play for an extended period of time, or be ready to throw your money away to keep your accounts active. Or for that fact, luck forbid that you lose your means of income because of the poor economy for an extended length of time

Yes.  I do not see your logic of a NON paying subscriber having any rights.  You baffle me with that to be honest. How can you possibly feel you have a right to come back and expect your char and your char name to be intact if you STOP PAYING?  If I stop paying for even 1 month, I have no RIGHT to an expectation that anything will be intact when I start paying again.  SOE has, over the years, set the bar high with their keeping of chars intact for many years, but I don't have a right to expect it.

Why is that concept so difficult to understand?  You aren't a paying customer.  You could come back to a blank account.  Sure you could get upset, but to get angry that SOE cleared out their database is illogical at best.

Wingrider01 wrote:

never is a an acceptable time period for any account that has had a paid subscription to it, 3-6 months for a trial account that has never had a paid subscription attached to it.

Wow.  And wait... during this period of time where you ARE NOT PAYING, you expect SOE to pay for maintaining your char right?  However little it is, someone is paying money to keep your char intact.  It sure isn't you.

So SOE can implement a palce holder subscription, a buck or two or so a month that holds your subscription in a semi-active state, you can't play but no one can complain and try to obtain the "cool and neat names" that you have on those accounts. That works, still earns SOE money and protects the accounts

I actually would have no problem with that. Although I think the database cost is marginal and you would be overpaying, but in your specific example its fair since you would need long times away due to work.

I even think if this was added (which i doubt it would) many accounts would still fall under the canceled subscriptions over 12-18 months and thus be either permanatly deleted or removed from the active database. < this is really my main cause since I believe it would significantly improve loading and database latency for current active subscribers. (This beleif is based on the developers statements that new character slots are limited due to running at or near database capacity)

The bottom line is I KNOW I am coming back to the game as soon as the contract is over, even if it is being extended, but with this attitude, I will be missing a some, if not all of my characters because I exceeding the 12 months lower end that you and others have put forth. 

BTW if you research - the last thread concering character slots - it wsa posted it was not a database issue primarily but a contractureal and legal issue with the rest of the SOE divisions

__________________
Fixing computer issues, one SOC7 at a time.

Yes Jim, the user has experienced the dreaded PICNIC error

Wingrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:10 PM   #251
Gungo

Loremaster
Gungo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Crushbone
Posts: 5,378
Default

Wingrider01 wrote:

Gungo wrote:

Wingrider01 wrote:

erin wrote:

Wingrider01 wrote:

/rofl - So you are basicly saying that if you want to play eq2 and keep your characters becasue all the "cool and neat names are taken", make sure you do not go into a profession that requires you to travel extensively to locations that do not have acceptable bandwidth available to continue your play for an extended period of time, or be ready to throw your money away to keep your accounts active. Or for that fact, luck forbid that you lose your means of income because of the poor economy for an extended length of time

Yes.  I do not see your logic of a NON paying subscriber having any rights.  You baffle me with that to be honest. How can you possibly feel you have a right to come back and expect your char and your char name to be intact if you STOP PAYING?  If I stop paying for even 1 month, I have no RIGHT to an expectation that anything will be intact when I start paying again.  SOE has, over the years, set the bar high with their keeping of chars intact for many years, but I don't have a right to expect it.

Why is that concept so difficult to understand?  You aren't a paying customer.  You could come back to a blank account.  Sure you could get upset, but to get angry that SOE cleared out their database is illogical at best.

Wingrider01 wrote:

never is a an acceptable time period for any account that has had a paid subscription to it, 3-6 months for a trial account that has never had a paid subscription attached to it.

Wow.  And wait... during this period of time where you ARE NOT PAYING, you expect SOE to pay for maintaining your char right?  However little it is, someone is paying money to keep your char intact.  It sure isn't you.

So SOE can implement a palce holder subscription, a buck or two or so a month that holds your subscription in a semi-active state, you can't play but no one can complain and try to obtain the "cool and neat names" that you have on those accounts. That works, still earns SOE money and protects the accounts

I actually would have no problem with that. Although I think the database cost is marginal and you would be overpaying, but in your specific example its fair since you would need long times away due to work.

I even think if this was added (which i doubt it would) many accounts would still fall under the canceled subscriptions over 12-18 months and thus be either permanatly deleted or removed from the active database. < this is really my main cause since I believe it would significantly improve loading and database latency for current active subscribers. (This beleif is based on the developers statements that new character slots are limited due to running at or near database capacity)

The bottom line is I KNOW I am coming back to the game as soon as the contract is over, even if it is being extended, but with this attitude, I will be missing a some, if not all of my characters because I exceeding the 12 months lower end that you and others have put forth. 

BTW if you research - the last thread concering character slots - it wsa posted it was not a database issue primarily but a contractureal and legal issue with the rest of the SOE divisions

The last post on character slots was posted by rothgar. In it he stated it was due to the database and that they will revist the character slots once they do a major database upgrade in the near future.

Gungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:45 PM   #252
Skwor

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 338
Default

Funny thing is if a purge occurs I will use all my empty slots (only have 2 characters) to book those popular names if they are available. As my account has never not been paid they will be locked forever SMILEY Never know when I may actually want to use one of those names.

Even funnier is I assure you I am not the only one who does this. So in the end it seems pointless to purge.

Skwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:58 PM   #253
Jonaroth

Loremaster
Jonaroth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 761
Default

I would LOOOVEE a name purge, that would be great. Coming up with new names is hard.. Whenever I make a new alt, pick a new name and found it has already been taken, I look up who has that name already; its ALWAYS a lvl 1 n00b thats unguilded and prolly hasnt logged in 3 years or so.

SOE should definitly do a purge. Or atleast allow new players that are joining the game choose existing names as long as they are under only taken by people under lvl 10, havevnt payed thier account in like a year, or something like that.

I mean who really cares about the rights of someone who QUIT the game? I mean they quit, too bad, you lose. Give it up to someone whos actually PAYING still. If they actually decide to return to the game, they can make a new lvl 1 toon, how hard is that?

__________________
Jonaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:07 PM   #254
Seidhkona

Loremaster
Seidhkona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,115
Default

Gungo wrote:

Well my issue is these 1,000's of unpaid accounts causes my paid accounts to have database lag.

The size of a database has nothing to do with its performance. Databases use indexing to achieve lookups. What lags a database is the number of queries it receives. The more reads and fetches a database has to do to find and retrieve data, the slower it will be.  The architecture of a database also effects this. If the queries have to do a crapton of table joins, then that's a lot slower than a simple fetch.

But absolutely the number of accounts sitting dormant in the database isn't "lagging you out".

__________________
Seidhkona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:24 PM   #255
Seidhkona

Loremaster
Seidhkona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,115
Default

Jonaroth wrote:

I would LOOOVEE a name purge, that would be great. Coming up with new names is hard..

No, it really is not hard.

There are TONS of sources for names out there.

__________________
Seidhkona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:33 PM   #256
agnott

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 710
Default

Kendricke wrote:

Wingrider01 wrote:

So you are basicly saying that if you want to play eq2 and keep your characters becasue all the "cool and neat names are taken", make sure you do not go into a profession that requires you to travel extensively to locations that do not have acceptable bandwidth available to continue your play for an extended period of time, or be ready to throw your money away to keep your accounts active. Or for that fact, luck forbid that you lose your means of income because of the poor economy for an extended length of time

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if SOE chooses to merge a server you're on while you're out of town for several months, you'd have to deal with these things.  Any characters who aren't at least level 10, who do not have at least a certain amount of coin, and which are on accounts which are unpaid or inactive will lose their names anyway.

Nothing being suggested here is so beyond the pale that it couldn't possibly happen to you right now as is with the current status quo.  It's not as if SOE never merges servers in their games. 

Yes SOE does merge servers but only when "the game is growing"

agnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:42 PM   #257
Armawk
Server: Everfrost
Guild: Nos Es Rutilus
Rank: Tirones

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,240
Default

[email protected] DLere wrote:

Gungo wrote:

Well my issue is these 1,000's of unpaid accounts causes my paid accounts to have database lag.

The size of a database has nothing to do with its performance. Databases use indexing to achieve lookups. What lags a database is the number of queries it receives. The more reads and fetches a database has to do to find and retrieve data, the slower it will be.  The architecture of a database also effects this. If the queries have to do a crapton of table joins, then that's a lot slower than a simple fetch.

But absolutely the number of accounts sitting dormant in the database isn't "lagging you out".

It is a little more subtle than that, and the literal size of the tables can have a performance impact, especially when very large. however its certainly true that the extrapolation being made here from 'database issues with more character slots' to 'dormant characters are lagging me out' is 100% invalid without some statement from the devs that it is so, followed hopefully by an embarrassed cough that they could optimise better than that SMILEY

What *I* think is likely the case is that more characters on one account could cause problems because there are likely many queries done during gameplay against your own list of characters. Those can be very time sensitive queries, so even adding another slot could be a performance issue. The other side is that, assuming most players use all their slots, one more is a literal 14% increase in overall active data, which is significant.

Armawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:59 PM   #258
agnott

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 710
Default

Just a tad off topic. I have been away a bit but just before I left I thought I saw a SC item that would allow you to change your name.

Is that in the game, or should I cut down on the mushrooms?

Thanks

agnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:07 PM   #259
Gungo

Loremaster
Gungo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Crushbone
Posts: 5,378
Default

shaunfletcher wrote:

[email protected] DLere wrote:

Gungo wrote:

Well my issue is these 1,000's of unpaid accounts causes my paid accounts to have database lag.

The size of a database has nothing to do with its performance. Databases use indexing to achieve lookups. What lags a database is the number of queries it receives. The more reads and fetches a database has to do to find and retrieve data, the slower it will be.  The architecture of a database also effects this. If the queries have to do a crapton of table joins, then that's a lot slower than a simple fetch.

But absolutely the number of accounts sitting dormant in the database isn't "lagging you out".

It is a little more subtle than that, and the literal size of the tables can have a performance impact, especially when very large. however its certainly true that the extrapolation being made here from 'database issues with more character slots' to 'dormant characters are lagging me out' is 100% invalid without some statement from the devs that it is so, followed hopefully by an embarrassed cough that they could optimise better than that

What *I* think is likely the case is that more characters on one account could cause problems because there are likely many queries done during gameplay against your own list of characters. Those can be very time sensitive queries, so even adding another slot could be a performance issue. The other side is that, assuming most players use all their slots, one more is a literal 14% increase in overall active data, which is significant.

While i would love to take your OPINION on the matter.  The fact is the ACTUAL people who run the database claims otherwise. The fact that adding an additional slot is unfeasible at this time due to database. So excuse me as i take those OPINIONS as a grain a salt. Although i am more inclined to beleive shaun's theory. I will take the statement i have from the developers as proof that added characters are causing database latency and lag issues. And while i doubt there would be some massive perfomance increase in database latency. ANY help for an ACTIVE PAYING subscriber is better then none.

Gungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:22 PM   #260
Armawk
Server: Everfrost
Guild: Nos Es Rutilus
Rank: Tirones

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,240
Default

Gungo wrote:

While i would love to take your OPINION on the matter.  The fact is the ACTUAL people who run the database claims otherwise. The fact that adding an additional slot is unfeasible at this time due to database. So excuse me as i take those OPINIONS as a grain a salt. Although i am more inclined to beleive shaun's theory. I will take the statement i have from the developers as proof that added characters are causing database latency and lag issues. And while i doubt there would be some massive perfomance increase in database latency. ANY help for an ACTIVE PAYING subscriber is better then none.

Wow try actually reading my post before you wade in and respond so strangely next time.  The devs have said that adding ACTIVE CHARACTERS PER ACCOUNT would cause a database issue, and I therefore take that as a fact because they are informed on this issue. My speculation was about how that effect may be manifest. What does that have to do with people claiming a dormant character/account purge much less a name purge would improve performance? There isnt any evidence that it would do so until someone informed says so.

Armawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:42 PM   #261
Jonaroth

Loremaster
Jonaroth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 761
Default

[email protected] DLere wrote:

Jonaroth wrote:

I would LOOOVEE a name purge, that would be great. Coming up with new names is hard..

No, it really is not hard.

And that's coming from a guy named "SIGRDRIFA"... How do you even pronounce that? Is it english, or do you have to pronounce it spanish style rolling the Rs? ... Maybe pronounced like Sigredrifa? You can't have a name with 4 constanents next to eachother, thats just not right in the english language. No offense man; just sayin'. Don't take it personal.

BTW Thanks for providing those links, they will be helpful, next time I make an alt.

__________________
Jonaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:56 PM   #262
denmom

Loremaster
denmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Paradigm Clutch: Never shift reality without one...
Posts: 2,490
Default

agnott wrote:

Just a tad off topic. I have been away a bit but just before I left I thought I saw a SC item that would allow you to change your name.

Is that in the game, or should I cut down on the mushrooms?

Thanks

Aye, it's on SC.

One for name, another for gender, and a package deal with one of each.

__________________
What I do when not playing EQ2: Paradigm Clutch
denmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:02 PM   #263
erin

Loremaster
erin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,834
Default

shaunfletcher wrote:

[email protected] DLere wrote:

Gungo wrote:

Well my issue is these 1,000's of unpaid accounts causes my paid accounts to have database lag.

The size of a database has nothing to do with its performance. Databases use indexing to achieve lookups. What lags a database is the number of queries it receives. The more reads and fetches a database has to do to find and retrieve data, the slower it will be.  The architecture of a database also effects this. If the queries have to do a crapton of table joins, then that's a lot slower than a simple fetch.

But absolutely the number of accounts sitting dormant in the database isn't "lagging you out".

It is a little more subtle than that, and the literal size of the tables can have a performance impact, especially when very large. however its certainly true that the extrapolation being made here from 'database issues with more character slots' to 'dormant characters are lagging me out' is 100% invalid without some statement from the devs that it is so, followed hopefully by an embarrassed cough that they could optimise better than that

What *I* think is likely the case is that more characters on one account could cause problems because there are likely many queries done during gameplay against your own list of characters. Those can be very time sensitive queries, so even adding another slot could be a performance issue. The other side is that, assuming most players use all their slots, one more is a literal 14% increase in overall active data, which is significant.

I have some vague recollection of a dev stating that characters aren't actually in a database, or at least something like that (maybe they said it wasn't a enterprise style database, I don't really recall).  That would make any speculation on the matter o how its organized kind of pointless.

erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:11 PM   #264
Armawk
Server: Everfrost
Guild: Nos Es Rutilus
Rank: Tirones

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,240
Default

Jonaroth wrote:

And that's coming from a guy named "SIGRDRIFA"... How do you even pronounce that? Is it english, or do you have to pronounce it spanish style rolling the Rs? ... Maybe pronounced like Sigredrifa? You can't have a name with 4 constanents next to eachother, thats just not right in the english language. No offense man; just sayin'. Don't take it personal.

BTW Thanks for providing those links, they will be helpful, next time I make an alt.

Try googling Sigrdrifa before posting. Really you should have...

Armawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:38 PM   #265
Jonaroth

Loremaster
Jonaroth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 761
Default

shaunfletcher wrote:

Jonaroth wrote:

And that's coming from a guy named "SIGRDRIFA"... How do you even pronounce that? Is it english, or do you have to pronounce it spanish style rolling the Rs? ... Maybe pronounced like Sigredrifa? You can't have a name with 4 constanents next to eachother, thats just not right in the english language. No offense man; just sayin'. Don't take it personal.

BTW Thanks for providing those links, they will be helpful, next time I make an alt.

Try googling Sigrdrifa before posting. Really you should have...

Meh, just 'cause a word is real, doesn't make it a good name. No offense, signerdifia. I'm not trying to make fun here, but I'm just saying finding a unique name is difficult, if you have to dig through pages of Norse mythology just to find a name that's not taken in EQ2, that just further proves my point that we need a naming purge.

__________________
Jonaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:01 PM   #266
Rijacki

Tester
Rijacki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 7,842
Default

Jonaroth wrote:

shaunfletcher wrote:

Jonaroth wrote:

And that's coming from a guy named "SIGRDRIFA"... How do you even pronounce that? Is it english, or do you have to pronounce it spanish style rolling the Rs? ... Maybe pronounced like Sigredrifa? You can't have a name with 4 constanents next to eachother, thats just not right in the english language. No offense man; just sayin'. Don't take it personal.

BTW Thanks for providing those links, they will be helpful, next time I make an alt.

Try googling Sigrdrifa before posting. Really you should have...

Meh, just 'cause a word is real, doesn't make it a good name. No offense, signerdifia. I'm not trying to make fun here, but I'm just saying finding a unique name is difficult, if you have to dig through pages of Norse mythology just to find a name that's not taken in EQ2, that just further proves my point that we need a naming purge.

Since I'm betting she has had that name, since around the time of game launch, that name wasn't because of a lack of "good" names but was an intentional and conscious choice.

My name, Rijacki, is Macedonian for shrew. I found it a few weeks before EQ2's launch. It's not in English, but I didn't pick it because I couldn't find something unique. I used it because it IS unique. I'm betting Sigrdrifa did the same.

__________________
Rijacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:30 PM   #267
Vonotar
Server: Butcherblock

Loremaster
Vonotar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,697
Default

I'll say the same as I've said before.

Decide a cut-off point, say 12 months of unpaid time (i.e. subscription time lapsed over six months ago, not counting 'free time' offered as part of a promotion).

All characters on said account are 'character transferred' to a 'graveyard' server which has no actual zones and just stores unused characters, character will have their ID appended to the end of their name to ensure a unique reference.

If the customer decides to re-activate their account they will see that their characters are currently 'suspended' and upon attempting to play them they will be prompted to select a server (and if needed a new name) for the character to be transferred to.

This achieves a number of things:

- Relieves the actual live servers of a lot of unneeded player information, especially regarding accounts not used since 2004-2005!  Think of all those broker items (which are still in the DB regardless of whether they show on the broker for sale), house items, stats etc.  Everytime you click visit on a house door or use the mailbox I suspect the DB has to sift through masses of dormant characters.

- Releases a lot of character names back into the pool for new players to use, I know people should think of more unique names rather than Keith, Tommy etc, but on some servers we are at the point where you can spend half an hour trying to find an elven sounding name that hasn't already gone, that doesn't help the new player experience.

- If the player comes back to the game they effectively get to re-choose what server they want to play on, considering how many people I know are waiting for the next free transfers before re-subscribing (as they don't want to pay out 7 times the transfer cost) being able to tell them that because their character has fallen dormant they can move server for free is a bonus.

The only consideration I see is links to guilds, so simply have the characters appear as dormant in the guild (i.e. they appear on the guild list, with status amount and notes preserved), if the choose to come back to the same server they will be automatically relinked to the guild, if not they lose their guild membership (same as current character transfer).

Vonotar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:51 PM   #268
Seidhkona

Loremaster
Seidhkona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,115
Default

Jonaroth wrote:

And that's coming from a guy named "SIGRDRIFA"... How do you even pronounce that? Is it english, or do you have to pronounce it spanish style rolling the Rs? ... Maybe pronounced like Sigredrifa? You can't have a name with 4 constanents next to eachother, thats just not right in the english language. No offense man; just sayin'. Don't take it personal.

BTW Thanks for providing those links, they will be helpful, next time I make an alt.

That's "a middle-aged lady named Sigrdrifa".

See-yur-dree-fah. The r's are trilled a bit, standard European vowels.

The name is Old Norse and literally "blizzard of victory", a metaphorical phrase for battle, calling to mind a storm of arrows and flung spears. The name has come back into use in Scandinavia since the 1800s, with a standard nickname form of "Drifa".

Why would a fantasy name have to have English roots? Tolkein named the dwarves of Lord of the Rings right after the dwarves in the Old Norse Poetic Edda.  His high elves spoke a language based in part on Finnish. The Rohirrim were based on the Anglo-Saxons. And so on.

__________________
Seidhkona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:57 PM   #269
Jonaroth

Loremaster
Jonaroth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 761
Default

Rijacki wrote:

Jonaroth wrote:

shaunfletcher wrote:

Jonaroth wrote:

And that's coming from a guy named "SIGRDRIFA"... How do you even pronounce that? Is it english, or do you have to pronounce it spanish style rolling the Rs? ... Maybe pronounced like Sigredrifa? You can't have a name with 4 constanents next to eachother, thats just not right in the english language. No offense man; just sayin'. Don't take it personal.

BTW Thanks for providing those links, they will be helpful, next time I make an alt.

Try googling Sigrdrifa before posting. Really you should have...

Meh, just 'cause a word is real, doesn't make it a good name. No offense, signerdifia. I'm not trying to make fun here, but I'm just saying finding a unique name is difficult, if you have to dig through pages of Norse mythology just to find a name that's not taken in EQ2, that just further proves my point that we need a naming purge.

Since I'm betting she has had that name, since around the time of game launch, that name wasn't because of a lack of "good" names but was an intentional and conscious choice.

My name, Rijacki, is Macedonian for shrew. I found it a few weeks before EQ2's launch. It's not in English, but I didn't pick it because I couldn't find something unique. I used it because it IS unique. I'm betting Sigrdrifa did the same.

Well thats fine if you enjoy having a Norse/Greek/Macedonian name and have had it from launch, but what about those of us paying customers who would like an ENGLISH name that isnt taken? 'bout only way you can get that done today is by spelling it wrong, just because that lvl 1 noobie that hasnt logged in in 3 years is holding all the goods. Lame.

__________________
Jonaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 01:25 AM   #270
Seidhkona

Loremaster
Seidhkona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,115
Default

Jonaroth wrote:

Well thats fine if you enjoy having a Norse/Greek/Macedonian name and have had it from launch, but what about those of us paying customers who would like an ENGLISH name that isnt taken? 'bout only way you can get that done today is by spelling it wrong, just because that lvl 1 noobie that hasnt logged in in 3 years is holding all the goods. Lame.

Your argument holds no water.

Checking vs. early 17th c. English names for men and seeing what's available on Blackburrow, in about 15 minutes I found:

  • Anthony
  • Christop
  • Dickon
  • Edmunde
  • Jenatt
  • Oswold
  • Oswoulde
  • Samuell
  • Michall
  • Clement
  • Ketheron
  • Phillipe
  • Emett
  • Emericke

These are all names from England with the original spellings from source documents. I'm sure with a few minutes more looking I could have found lots more. And I could have also checked the 1400s and earlier articles.

__________________
Seidhkona is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:54 PM.

vBulletin skin by: CompleteGFX.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All threads and posts originally from the EQ2 and Station forums operated by Sony Online Entertainment. Their use is by express written permission.