EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-30-2009, 12:27 PM   #1
sargonnath

Loremaster

Hello,

This happened in my guild few days agos, and before I wasn't aware of the trap I was caught in.

Most of my characters are levels 50 - 65. I decided the time was good to begin some raids.I go to my guild forum where all the raids advertised are of level 80. Then, I asked for the lowers raids available. Not since more than six months, did I learn. Most of the members have lot of work to do with their 80 characters, as most of them have now the V2 armor set, and they are running for the V3 armor set (or molds), or even the V4... I am not sure.

Whatever, they told me that even if I reach the level 80 one day, they won't allow me to join their raids.The least is to reach 200 AA points, and the Armor set V2.Due to the fact that I have currently 80 AA points and not even the Armor set V1, it will take me one year or a bit more to gather all the molds of the V1, then the V2, and join eventually my guildmates, provided they won't have gained V3 Armor set at this time. Else, my trouble will continue.

But what is sure, no raids for me for a long long time.I am happy to be a rather old player. Because I can't figure how much new comers may feel lonely. Will they find a group? May be. Enter a raid? They shall not have this hope! Players go through diplomas, called armor sets, and you can't expect being a real player if you don't have what is required at the due time.

It means that you are no more able to enjoy the whole game if you are not able to spend a bunch of few thousands hours to gain the level of equipement and character advancement of the elite players.

And I am not sure that Everquest 2 has so much players that it can offers itself the luxury of reserving raids only to some selected players. Sorry, but I am sure that this is what I see today.

Sargonnath.

sargonnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 12:56 PM   #2
Landiin

Loremaster

Once you reach 80 V2 armor isn't hard to get. Plus being this late in the exp and only being in v2 means your guilds raid force isn't that deep into TSO raids if at all. So if you really wanted to you could catch up to them fairly quickly. As for AA's they are tons easier to get and I have no clue why they would req 200 at their progression. It just depends on your personality and class knowledge on how fast you can catch up to every one.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:58 PM   #3
BMonkeeus

Loremaster

Join a more casual guild.

BMonkeeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 01:03 PM   #4
zhiDarkivel

Loremaster

Do you have any ideas how to fix this?  I mean the question seriously.  Because I don't think this is game design -- this is the people who play the game.  

With mentoring, achievement XP, the new achievement system, it seems like SOE is dropping all the carrots they can to get people interesting in going back to do lower level content -- hopefully with the inclusion of lower level characters -- but they can't force people to play any one way or another.

In every MMO, there will always be the exclusionist elite players.  There will also be people who care more about playing with their friends and family and hanging out than min/maxing their characters and driving to be top end.  But you can't have it both ways.  (And I was in an EQ1 guild that tried really hard -- and almost succeeded, but didn't.)  If you want a raiding guild capable of doing the uber-hard stuff, they're going to want the best geared/best specced characters possible.  If you want a guild with people who will play with you whenever and whatever you are doing, you're not going to get to do the top tier raids.

I don't think there's a game mechanic in the world that will stop people from playing the game the way they want to play it.  

Old 08-30-2009, 01:11 PM   #5
Neskonlith

Loremaster

sargonnath wrote:

And I am not sure that Everquest 2 has so much players that it can offers itself the luxury of reserving raids only to some selected players. Sorry, but I am sure that this is what I see today.

Raids are considered end-game content, which normally means that SOE has designed it to be stuff to do when you have already done everything else and have come close to maximizing your character with abilities and equipment in your reach.  The current set of end-game raiding requires more than just lvl80 for successful participation, it requires you to go nearly full AA and have the highest gear you can possibly achieve to help cope with the instant-fail spamfest script demands - this is nothing that anyone can avoid since SOE has designed it this way.

You also expressed interest in lower level raids, so it may interest you to note that SOE is introducing Chronomagic to help you achieve access to previous content with less hassle, so it will soon be possible to gain access to earlier raid zones that were in comparison often far more forgiving and a lot more fun for a casual gang of pick-up adventurers out to loot the mobs.  Perhaps such a feature will offer you a lot more enjoyment as you try to catch up to your guildies, and give you a viable alternative to a boring skills grind in the meanwhile.

Some of the older raid zones were a blast, and it would be a true loss if they were not seen again.

"...Gibbets, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of carrion in the morning. You know, one time we had Freeport TG defended, pvp for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked to their revive spot. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' QQ body. The smell, you know that putrescent smell, the whole writ house. Smelled like… victory..."

- Apocalypse Gnome
Neskonlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 03:39 PM   #6
Tehom

Loremaster

sargonnath wrote:

But what is sure, no raids for me for a long long time.I am happy to be a rather old player. Because I can't figure how much new comers may feel lonely. Will they find a group? May be. Enter a raid? They shall not have this hope! Players go through diplomas, called armor sets, and you can't expect being a real player if you don't have what is required at the due time.

It means that you are no more able to enjoy the whole game if you are not able to spend a bunch of few thousands hours to gain the level of equipement and character advancement of the elite players.

It's probably not really elitism, just pragmatism - the raids are probably difficult enough for them that having members which don't meet those requirements would severely compromise their chance for success, particularly if they're someone inexperienced to raiding overall and doing the harder TSO raids which introduce mechanics that a single player who doesn't know what he's doing can destroy the entire raid. Players without the V2/tier 2 armor sets don't have any critical mitigation yet, which makes them enormously vulnerable in even early TSO raids.

Getting 200 AA is easier than it seems - just focus on going through zones you haven't been before and finishing quests. Going through all the TSO instance zones will both get you AA and shards for getting your armor sets. Going through lower level zones while mentoring and killing named mobs, particularly low level raid zones, is an extremely fast way to get AA also - Spirits of the Lost is probably the single fastest chunk of AA you can get, while many other zones are enormously lucrative too (Pillars of Flame, etc). But mentoring requires partners in various level ranges, so questing or TSO instances are kind of a default if you can't find that.

One thing you -haven't- mentioned that surprised me is about your mythical. If they had the other requirements, I assumed it'd probably include that as well. If they're only doing RoK content and getting people their mythicals, then I would tend to agree their requirements are a bit excessive.

Tehom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 04:46 PM   #7
feldon30

Fansite Staff

sargonnath wrote:

Hello,

This happened in my guild few days agos, and before I wasn't aware of the trap I was caught in.

Most of my characters are levels 50 - 65. I decided the time was good to begin some raids.I go to my guild forum where all the raids advertised are of level 80. Then, I asked for the lowers raids available. Not since more than six months, did I learn. Most of the members have lot of work to do with their 80 characters, as most of them have now the V2 armor set, and they are running for the V3 armor set (or molds), or even the V4... I am not sure.

Whatever, they told me that even if I reach the level 80 one day, they won't allow me to join their raids.The least is to reach 200 AA points, and the Armor set V2.Due to the fact that I have currently 80 AA points and not even the Armor set V1, it will take me one year or a bit more to gather all the molds of the V1, then the V2, and join eventually my guildmates, provided they won't have gained V3 Armor set at this time. Else, my trouble will continue.

That seems excessive to REQUIRE 200AAs and T2 for a beginning raider. I'd keep shopping around. But as far as raiding, yes T6 and most of T7 is only done for AAs, not cause folks want to raid that content.

feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 04:51 PM   #8
Katanalla
Server: Mistmoore

General

You could always get like 172 aa, join a dif guild and get like 4pc of the raid armor set in like 1 week easily enough >.>

Katanalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 06:13 PM   #9
Skwor

Loremaster

First T2 is FAR from elite, please, anyone running in T2 is at best casual, second 200 AA is insanely easy. Anyone can go from creating a character to level 80 and 200 aa in 15 days. (done it, it is easy and all about playtime, and I am not talking 24/7 either). Also, most high end guilds typically want 170+, not 200 required; is 200 a plus, yes but definatly not a must. Raid guilds are more interested in playtime and compitency than anything else, with those two everything else can be easily made up. Truth is the more acurate description for real raiding is playtime. Now with that out of the way, do yourself a favor, join another guild, a group of people who think you need 200 aa to raid and are raiding in T2 are just clueless. There are plenty of mid level guilds that have less restrictions.

If you can dedicate 4 days a week or more, to raiding, look for a Mid to High end guild, IF your compitent they will show you the rest and your gear will upgrade FAST, in one month you will easily be in 4 pieces of T4

If you can only dedicate 3 days look for a Semi Casual to Mid end guild, again if you understand your class you will have 3 pieces of T4 in a month.

If you can only raid 2 days or less a week look for a casual to semi casual guild and if they raid X2's you will have 3 to 4 T3 pieces in month.

Finally, if you can't raid at all find a family and friends guild and stop worrying about how fast you can get T2 pieces. You don't need that many when your playtime is that low. The time you do have will be doing low end quests and instances and by the time you can finish those the next expansion will be just around the corner.

Skwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 06:51 PM   #10
erin

Loremaster

The only thing clear from your post, OP, is that you are in the wrong guild.  You don't have to change how you play, you just have to find a guild that's more compatible.

erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:05 PM   #11
Nayawk

Loremaster

I guess what I find a little sad is that you can't even think about raiding until you are cap, even through there are epics to kill as low the rumbler in Ant. 

The content is there, but there seems to be a lack of willing to use it by alot of guilds even if they have members in that level.

I would like to think that with the new heirloom tag on raid gear and self mentoring that more guilds might include some older raids for younger members rather than just tell them to get a 80 as quick as possible.

Nayawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:59 PM   #12
sargonnath

Loremaster

You got the point perfectly: you begin to raid at the time your character has reached its absolute limits in levelling, AA advancing and have the best gear.

Then, yes. You are qualified to do your first raid.

Isn't that the fastest way to wreck a game? It's a MMORPG, but there is only a level that count: 80 (only if 200 AA).There is a list of stuff you are expected to wear: the armor sets.

There is no more leveling. Only one very well described character you must conform too.You can have a Guardian, but 80, 200 AA, Armor set 2.You can have a Brigand, but 80, 200 AA, Armor set 2.You can have a Mage, but 80, 200 AA, Armor set 2.You can have a Templar, but 80, 200 AA, Armor set 2.If you don't have that, you might even not exist to the eyes of the raiders. And sometimes, for some groups too.

Don't you believe SOE should allow the new players to start their characters at level 80 with 200 AA, if the game just doesn't exist before?That the way hard core gamers, selfish and careless guilds members, lead the game. If Everquest 2 fails under 1% of market share, I believe we won't have to search the reasons very far: it can't be considered as an RPG anymore. But a game with only one level: the 80. But players are absolutely, completely, responsible of this state.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:28 PM   #13
Guy De Alsace

Loremaster

Leave your guild - simple as. They sound like a guild who have a tight raidforce. If you arent in at the start then you arent in ever. Sadly, a lot of raids at the top end now require the kind of single mindedness that a closed raid force can provide.

None of my toons have 200 AA or full T3 but I've done quite a few raids with the guild and PuG's anyway.

Guy De Alsace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:50 PM   #14
Littlelove
Server: Crushbone
Guild: Witness Protection Program

Loremaster

sargonnath wrote:

Don't you believe SOE should allow the new players to start their characters at level 80 with 200 AA, if the game just doesn't exist before?

NO.   It takes all of a couple weeks to get to lvl 80 and another couple weeks to get 200 AA.  Should be even quicker once the auto-mentoring comes live.  Spend that time learning your character.

Do you also want a full set of T4 gear free too?  If you want to start with a 80/200 character, go to an exchange server and buy one.

Other than that, listen to what others have said here and find a new guild.  Or join some pickup raids.  There are plenty of pickup raids on my server for Labs, PR, and other easier ones (everyday)  that don't require lvl 80 or any shard gear/mythical.

Littlelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:02 PM   #15
feldon30

Fansite Staff

[email protected] wrote:

NO.   It takes all of a couple weeks to get to lvl 80 and another couple weeks to get 200 AA.  Should be even quicker once the auto-mentoring comes live.  Spend that time learning your character.

Do tell how one does this in "a couple of weeks". And I don't mean being power-leveled through every T2-T7 raid zone out there, killing every named. Most folks do not have an endless supply of mentor targets and groups of these various levels available to them.

Frankly, whenever you guys say that you level from 1-80 with 200 AAs in "a few weeks" I think you are completely full of bluster. Personally I think a raid force that will only take you if you have 200 AAs is missing the point. Experience, willingness to listen, and gear matter more than how many mind-numbing soul-crushing hours you did solo quests which don't teach you how to play your class at all.

Many classes you cannot even tell the difference in benefits betwen 175 AAs and 200 AAs because the KoS/EoF choices for some classes aren't very good.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:26 PM   #16
Armawk
Server: Everfrost
Guild: Nos Es Rutilus

Loremaster

Guy needs to join a casual raiding guild thats clear. I would not expect or want a hardcore raid guild to have room for me as a noob to raiding.

However the exhibition of both hyperbolic nonsense (200AAs and presumably at least basic starter gear for raiding in handful of weeks for a player who doesnt have a guild team prepared to drag him through everything and also prepared to carry his dead weight for long enough to get it? Not ever going to happen) and 'Go suck it noob' arrogance displayed by a couple of posters here is precidesly what drives people away from raiding. Well done guys, I sincerely hope you dont represent your actual demographic.

Oh and it IS a terrible shame all that pre 80 raid content goes begging. At least the devs could revisit the loot tables, that with the auto mentor and the heirloom tags might make that content worth some usage.

Armawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:37 PM   #17
feldon30

Fansite Staff

Hate to bring up this issue again, but making T6 raiding have a very high chance of dropping 50's masters would have made a big enough audience for it.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:45 PM   #18
StaticLex

Loremaster

sargonnath wrote:

You got the point perfectly: you begin to raid at the time your character has reached its absolute limits in levelling, AA advancing and have the best gear.

Then, yes. You are qualified to do your first raid.

T2 is hardly the best gear.  lol

Look man, people don't raid the stuff around your level because they already raided it 3 or 4 years ago.  You're a caveman in terms of the game chronology.  If you want to raid caveman stuff then you need to find other cavemen to do it with.  It's that simple really..

When you've played this game for ten years and gone to bat seven-thousand times and gotten two-thousand hits do you know what that really means? It means you've gone zero for five-thousand. --- Reggie Jackson
StaticLex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:01 PM   #19
Seidhkona

Loremaster

On every server there are some guilds AND pick up raids that hit the lower level raid zones.

I run lower level raids, everything from Spirits of the Lost through the KOS raids and EOF raids. I do them as people need them or want them in guild. Plenty of people do Labs raids and such still for fun, AA, and trophy heads.

Your guild is NOT responsible for you having fun. YOU are the only one responsible for your own fun.

If the guild you are in isn't opening up play opportunities that suit you, shop intelligently for a guild that has players at your level, people with similar playstyles and play times, and people you have fun doing stuff with. Ask questions, ask around, find out what people are working on. Group with people in teh guild before you join.

Most of all, don't whine because you are not getting what you want. Whining is the #1 way to not get invited to do stuff with other people. Be proactive, look for folks doing what you want to do, or heck, organize a lower tier raid yourself!

Old 08-30-2009, 11:37 PM   #20
Guy De Alsace

Loremaster

I think currently the game has never been more open to raiding even for people who dont normally raid. You can get very nice gear from doing groups - with a quite decent chance of a fabled item or two along the way, which should be enough to get you at least into Shard of Hate if nothing else. WoE is also relatively straightforward for the first half and doable by people without any T3 gear (isnt that the point since u need to do WoE to get it?).

Heck if a slacker like me can get his mythical on at least one toon anyone can!

Guy De Alsace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 01:53 AM   #21
Lleren

Loremaster

sargonnath wrote:

Hello,

Sargonnath.

Most guilds currently recruiting for raiding do not require 200 aa's, Raiding Guilds do mostly require the second set of shard armor or better, sometimes fabled epic, sometimes mythical epic.  Once you start on the RoKunark quest chains your AA will raise quickly.

It sounds though like you are in the wrong guild for you, unless you intent to concentrate on one character for now and get them to level and aa cap. 

Some servers run more pickup raids then others, on Kithicor most pick up raids are Ruins of Kunark era or earlier with a few Wards of the Elements pick up raids.  

I do not know how often or how much you play.  At 1 zone a night it will only take 22 days to aquire the full first version of shard armor, and about anotehr 2 months to get the second version of the shard armor, there are workarounds that can get you 8 shards per day though as opposed to the 2 shards a day you would get from doing 1 zone.  There is also a soloable single shard quest each day once you hit level 80.

Then again early next year the next expansion will come out with a level cap raise to 90, and at that point everyone gets to explore the new expansion at pretty much the same starting point.  If you can get 1 character to 80 before that happens the main difference is you will be quickly replacing all your gear with questrewards and mastercrafted, while the other players will have to decide between the new gear and thier old gear.

hunting for cheese in all the wrong places.

Lleren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:06 AM   #22
bryldan

Loremaster

sargonnath wrote:

Hello,

Sargonnath.

I am not sure what the deal is with your guild that you are currently in. Usually 200 AA is only wanted for very high end guilds that are far into progression but of course usually those guilds want better than v2 shard armor. If its a raid thats not far into prosgression then they have some problems with their raiding requirements especially since you will more than likely have all your usefull AAs by 180......

Now this is the most important thing that I am not getting. You seem to be very casual or you would not be talking about taking a year to get shard armor. If you can only log on a couple times a week for a few hours then raiding IS NOT FOR YOU especially with guilds who are doing end game raiding. To be able to beat the encounters you have to first know the encounters and usually the best way to beat the encounters are with the same ppl each raiding learning the scripts together. That is why most guilds will also have min raid appearances for you and that you must attend so many raids a month. What you seem to need is a guild that is not trying to get all of the current raid completed and one that just raids anything that they feel like doing that night whether that be previous tier stuff or maybe doing a couple of named inside of ToMC.

bryldan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:33 AM   #23
Noaani

Loremaster

sargonnath wrote:

And I am not sure that Everquest 2 has so much players that it can offers itself the luxury of reserving raids only to some selected players.Sargonnath.

EverQuest 2 has more raiding below the level cap than it does at the level cap.

There is plenty of raiding to be done from level 20 upwards. Your issue is not with the game, not with the content, not with the development, not even with the production. Your issue is between you and your guild.

The superior man knows what is right.
The inferior man knows what will sell.

Confucius

Noaani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:18 AM   #24
Cisken
Server: Crushbone
Guild: Aenigma

Loremaster

If you are interested in doing lower tier raids, perhaps go looking specifically for "progression raid guilds" (or for casual guilds doing the older zones, as other people suggested).

Check each server message board for recruitment messages from progression raid guilds, there might be one or two around across all servers which are currently recruiting. Depending on how much you play weekly it might involve a server transfer for your main or you can reroll a new char (and a class desired by your choosen guild) on that server and level it up quickly to catch up.

Especially if you haven't seen all the "old" raid content, you're gonna have a blast! I did the progression raid thing myself (Dec 08 - Apr 09, 1x a week) with Madcap on Crushbone (from Prismatic 1.0 till T7 MMIS, joined too late for the T5 stuff personally though), enjoyed it a lot and learned much about raiding conduct in the process which in turn helped me being able to be useful in current endgame raids.

Since you can down the older mobs in MC gear while they con blue or even green (while your raid leader hopefully has a clue about the necessary strats from 3 years ago...) the gear issue becomes moot and it is all down to player (and leader's) skill for class and raiding in general.

Sidenote: I know a couple of people having had "raid-ready" 80s (epic, basic endgame gear, decent AA, sufficient resists etc.) in 7 days /played, in one case on a defiler, even. You're gonna need about the same time to elevate the class to a decent level of survivability and effectiveness, but yes, they were in business basically after 7 days playtime (of course they did nothing else but focus on leveling as fast as possible).

Old 08-31-2009, 11:27 AM   #25
Yimway

Loremaster

feldon30 wrote:

That seems excessive to REQUIRE 200AAs and T2 for a beginning raider. I'd keep shopping around. But as far as raiding, yes T6 and most of T7 is only done for AAs, not cause folks want to raid that content.

We require recruits to have 180aa, mythical, and 55 crit mit as a minimum.

Its not as much about being 'elitest', but simply if your not at those numbers your going to be too far behind the pack to be a functional raider.

My advice to the OP is to move to a guild further behind in raiding and get caught up there.  I know on Unrest there is a guild still working its way into VP atm, so there must be similar guilds elsewhere.

Getting 80, 140aa, and t2 shard gear would be a good basis to recruit to a lower rung raid guild to get you moving.  You could roll a new character tomorrow, play 20 hours / wk and have it to that point in 5 weeks, so it shouldn't take you a year to get there...

Old 08-31-2009, 11:39 AM   #26
Finora

Tester

OP, I'm not even going to read all the responses.

It sounds to me like your guild is full of a***ats. Seems that they would at least mention, hey, we aren't going to help you do anything to get to the level we require for raids so you'll probably never get to raid with us but you can join our guild anyway (before guilding you).

(let me say I have absolutely no problem with guilds with stated requirements to join)

Really.

My advice is to find another guild.  There are plenty of guilds out there and I'm sure one of them could fill your needs better than what seems to be a group of pompous l33ter than thous.

Then again, if you joined a high end raid guild will full knowledge that they were a high end raid guild, you really have to expect high qualifications to get into one of the endgame raids.

My guild occassionally is invited to raid with an endgame guild, when they are running people back through VP for myths and such.  I'd NEVER expect them to invite us along on their end TSO content raids as the majority of us are underequiped for that level of raiding.

Finora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 12:02 PM   #27
Kendayar

Lord

sargonnath wrote:

Hello,

Sargonnath.

You are in a guild with endgame players. What in the world do you expect? Do you really think 24 people of an established raid force (assuming they are established, hence why the leaders said they probably wouldn't let you in) are going to stop what they're doing? Stop all their progression and getting gear for the raiders to bring *1* character along to 80, complete with endlines and decent gear? You're in the wrong guild, my friend.

At this point, you are completely worthless to a current expansion raid guild. There's no way around it, just face the facts. You're a liability to the force. If you want to run with the big dogs in the raid scene who are killing the biggest internet dragons in the game right now, apply to them actually being worth something instead of somebody who is 99.99999999999% likely to be oneshotted by trash AOEs and be dead the whole zone and they probably only brought you along because you can make mender bots. 

RoK guilds are lax on requirements and generally anyone with a pulse can join it. TSO progression guilds want characters that have mythicals, endlines, good gear (full set of t3 is usually the preferred minimum), and can perform. And honestly if it's gonna take you a year to get even t1 armor or t2 armor, I think you have more important things to worry about than slaying internet dragons on EQ2.

No offense, but the guild you're in is just too far along to bring you with them at this time. You're basically the guy who played backyard football trying to play in the super bowl, so to speak.

My post isn't meant to be discouraging but rather putting it in perspective. Case in point, join another guild.

There is a man riding a horse on my shirt.

Kendayar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:04 PM   #28
sargonnath

Loremaster

I am not as casual as you believe. I have ten characters, and I enjoyed them the most while they were between levels 10 and 40. Eventually, after five years of playing for about 15 to 20 hours a week, time come where channels 10-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49 and even 50-59 are empty.Maybe a part of my problem is that our server has nearly 250 characters logged on it the good days.

If you want a group, you must be at least 60, no other way to find one. So I levelled a little bit. I was in search of raids, to gain some gear that I was not able to find in the broker, in levels where it is empty because they are no more sellers.I then faced what I told you. It's the second guild who cause me such trouble, but of course I can try a third and then a fourth one.

Then, the only players that remains, are playing EQ 2 a manner that they ensure the best quality for themselves, that's true. But that they are burying the game too, because any new comer will quickly think about choosing another game. Community tend to have less and less interest, become less and less helpful.

Far, far, far from the spirit of EQ 1.Another kind of game, due to another kind of players.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:27 PM   #29
Kendricke

Loremaster

sargonnath wrote:

I am not as casual as you believe. I have ten characters, and I enjoyed them the most while they were between levels 10 and 40.

Fact is, you are as casual as I believe.  You just stated you've been playing for five years, that you have 10 different characters between level 10 and 40, and yet you have no level 80 character.  From what I can tell, you don't have a level 70 yet. 

First off, it takes me less than an hour to create a level 10 character on a brand new server without any powerlevelling at all.  I wouldn't even count such characters in any discussion where I was trying to prove how "not casual" I am.  If I actually tried to powerlevel or use other means to level up (collections, potions, recruit-a-friend) then I could level up even faster. 

This doesn't mean that I have a stable of level 80 characters sitting around, only that breaking out the "I have 10 characters between level 10 and 40" fact isn't going to change the perspective of many of the truly endgame players here (here's a hint - I'm not even an endgame player, and I have multiple level 80s). 

As it's been said before, you're likely in the wrong guild (assuming everything you've said about them here is accurate and not hyperbole).  My advice on that is simple:  adapt or move on.

You want to "raid" old tier content, but you belong to a guild that is apparently not interested in old tier content.  You have two choices:  adapt or move on.  Either adapt your playstyle to match the guild's desires or adapt your desires to no longer bring yourself into conflict with the guild's desires (stop worrying about raiding) or move on to a new guild or game. 

Over the years, I've been approached by a number of newer members who felt that my leadership style was wrong, that we weren't hitting enough difficult raid targets, who felt that we were hitting too many difficult raid targets, that felt we were to hardcore, that felt we were too casual, that felt I wasn't pushing hard enough on our less advanced raiders, who felt that I was pushing too hard on our less advanced raiders, who felt that ...well, you get the point.  Ultimately, I've learned that it's often best to take these members aside and ask them what makes them happy about the guild.  If they can't really figure this out or if they seem to find the wrong things about the guild making them happy (but not happy enough), then it's time to confront those members and ask them if this guild is really the guild for them. 

Sometimes, the complaints back down a bit (but never entirely).  Other times, the member leaves the guild.  In no case have I felt that it wasn't ultimately best for both the guild and the member after such confrontations.  Either they move on and find a guild that matches their playstyle a bit better or they stay and adapt to the guild a bit more. 

So, even though I'm not your guildmaster, I'd ask you the same things if I were.  What makes you happy about the guild?  What's changed about those things?  Are you really sure you'll still remain happy with that guild?

* -Opinions expressed in this post do not represent any current or past employers.
Kendricke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:27 PM   #30
Kendayar

Lord

*scratches head* The spirit of EQ1 at launch, maybe. If you think it's easy to make a toon and start raiding in EQ1 now, I promise you have another thing coming. Also, I don't understand what your problem could be in regards to being useful to a guild. Raid guilds *do not* go back and help bring people's characters up. They're expected to do that themselves. What you need is a casual guild that does not raid to start yourself off. It goes in a manner like this. 1) Casual guild helps get you to 80 2) If they don't raid RoK, go to a guild that can raid RoK and clear VP. 3) Now that you have your mythical, you need to still focus on getting good pieces of gear and raising AA. 4) Once your AA is a reasonable amount and you have some fairly decent gear, try applying to TSO raiding guilds. You can't go from just hitting 80 and expect guilds to fall all over themselves for you. (Also what server do you play on that has such low population?)

There is a man riding a horse on my shirt.

Kendayar is offline   Reply With Quote