EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-17-2012, 06:12 AM   #1
roblinb

Loremaster

The last time I played I made a character on Vox because once my guild fell apart I couldn't make any money, and I've always played within the rules... but I was desperate for cash and not much sells in the auction house in this game.  Now we've got this station exchange that allows you to buy bells and whistles mostly... mounts and bags are cool, but now I got my girlfriend playing (I'm gold, she's free right now) and we're both broke.  Quests are getting harder because our gear sucks.  We're level 16 and still got some starter stuff on.  I put any rares I harvested and extra collection quest items on the market a day ago and none of it has sold.  I think I have 50 silver to my name, and even gear our level costs between 50 gold and several plat on our server.

I've been gone since 2007 (really since late 2006) and man the difficulty making money in this game has not changed.  EDIT - at low levels, since I hate crafting especially.

Any positive advice is appreciated, we're depressed because it's a struggle.  Oh also, we're exiles now because we want to make Qeynos our home lol... so yea.  I love this game, but I sure don't miss being broke.

Thanks for listening.

roblinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:28 AM   #2
General_Info

Lord

dont worry about coin or gear. try to get into a guild and doors will open for you wether those take the form of advice, free crafted gear(you'll be hard pressed not to find a guildie willing to craft you a free suit of low-level armor).

dont let the broker fool you they are listed at those prices to sell to people with high level toons who have rolled alts and have the coin to expend (or is transmutable gear used by adorners)

when i got into a guild i rolled as an armorer so i could keep myself equipped as i leveled if the gear i'd looted wasn't useful or couldn't be used by my class. I often throw or mail craftables to lowbies who join the guild i'm in.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:46 AM   #3
roblinb

Loremaster

Thanks for the reply, man.

Is there any way I can upgrade a friends (or girlfriends) account for them?

Old 08-17-2012, 06:53 AM   #4
Regolas

Loremaster

Just do the quests. Each zone has a set of gear for each tier. If you're behind on gear, do the green mob quests. Go to Antonica, Commonlands or Crushbone in Greater Faydark. You'll get gear and a little coin eventually. There's some player run event on most servers soon. Pay it Forward, to help new people like you. Check it out on the player run events forum.
Regolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:32 AM   #5
Kewstu121

Loremaster

It is easy to make money at lower and mid levels, just harvest shinies and put them on the broker, easy way to make plat.

Kewstu121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
Leawyn

Loremaster

Treasured and better (including adept books) sell extremely well at low levels, as people buy them up to level up transmuting.

Maelani | Maelya | Maerie | Maehymn | Maewyn | Maekita | Maelynne
Leawyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:17 AM   #7
Gilasil

Loremaster

The prices on the broker are inflated by the fact that many people using it have hundreds of plat on maxxed out characters and are buying the stuff to twink alts.

I've started several characters recently and, for the most part, have made each pay it's own way.  I know what you mean about no money.  There's definately things you can do:

1.  About the gear.  In each newbie zone there are a series of quests which will get you geared up.  The first gearing quests start at level 1 and get you some 1-10ish gear I believe.  The follow on starts right after that and gets you some mid-teens gear or so.  I STRONGLY recommend you do those quests.  It'll take care of immediate gearing issues.  All the rewards are treasured I believe which means your girl friend won't have any trouble with them even on a bronze.

If you do the quests all the way through you'll also get a mount.

So basically, do all the quests in the newbie zones.  Since you're already in your mid teans you might as well skip the level 1 -10 stuff if you can handle the mid teens quests in your current gear.  If you can't just go back and do grey quests (the feather may have disappeared from the heads of some of the quest giveres but they should still give the quests if you haven't done them).  I"m not sure the easiest way to jump into the middle but start grabbing quests where you can.

2.  For more long term:  Hang onto whatever loot you get and put it on the broker.  Not just shinies but spells, gear, whatever.  For example, any time an adept spell drops you can't use, put it on the broker next time you're near one.  Get yourself an apartment (starter is dirt cheap) which gives you more slots to put stuff on the broker.  Don't be surprised if some things take many days to sell.  High end stuff can take even longer.  Some things take weeks.  However, once you get a pipeline going you'll have a steady stream of cash.  Get some big bags/boxes/whatever and put them in those slots.  Start with one and add more as they fill up.  You can buy those on the broker too.  For my first cut I often upgrade the bags I'm carrying and then put the old ones on the broker to hold more stuff.  Later you can just buy some nice boxes which hold a LOT of stuff. 

Not everything will go on the broker.  No drop and hierloom items won't.  Oh well.  They can still be sold to a vendor for chump change.  Better then nothing if you can't use it.

When putting stuff on the broker I do things in the following order:

1.  Drop my latest haul onto broker bags.

2.  For setting the price:  Open up the broker tab and go to something which has "No" for whether it's on sale.  Double click on it which opens up the "buy" tab just for that one thing.  This lets you see what others are asking for that exact same item. 

3.  Price yours a bit lower then the lowest listed.  Keep in mind the broke charages a 20% commission so you actually have to price it at least 20% below the lowest listed.

4.  Every few days go back to the broker and go through each item you still have on sale.  Double click on each to make sure you're still offering the lowest price.  If you aren't, lower the price more.

5.  If you and your girlfriend can go into a dungeon do so.  (Although I generally don't bother with dungeons until I've gotten the second round of gear in my late teens).  Also, if either of you has Age of Discovery you can hire a mercenary which will also help with the dungeons.  The thing about dungeons is there are better drops.  If you can use the stuff fantastic, if you can't put it on the broker if it'll let you.  If you get a Master spell you can often sell it for plat even at low level.  But by all means scribe it if you can and hold onto it if it's for youc class but just for a higher level.  Otherwise, onto the broker it goes.

I find that my biggest staple is adept spells.  Nothing fancy, just plain adepts.  Even at low level they'll sell for several gold each and there's always a demand.  Of course, selling a few masters will make me rich but the adepts provide a nice steady income once I've got a few bags full of them on the broker.

I've got a level 27 with about 30 plat, almost all of which came from broker sales.  I've got a 92 with about 600 plat from broker sales.

Back before all apartments let you have six slots on the broker, I'd invariably upgrade to the biggest house I could find in my home city after I'd been doing this awhile as by then the cost was negligable and I wanted as much broker space as I could get.

Anyway, that's how I get my starter gear and pocket change.  Hope it helps.

P.S.  Once you hit level 20, make sure you have your research assistant going nonstop.

Gilasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:18 AM   #8
LordPazuzu

Loremaster

Follow the linear quest paths in Darklight Woods or Frostfang and you wont have to worry about gear until 20.

LordPazuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:22 PM   #9
roblinb

Loremaster

Wow thanks so much guys.  You guys are great, especially Gilasil your post is so helpful and not overly wordy.  I actually copy and pasted it in an email to my girlfriend.

Yea I just got AoD through the store, so I'll get a henchman to help us out.  Thanks everyone.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:25 PM   #10
roblinb

Loremaster

Oh hey real quick... what low level dungeons do you guys recommend me and my girlfriend do?  I'm 20, she's 16.  Once we finish our exile to Qeynos quest we'll be looking into that.  I'm a Brawler, she's a Wizard so obviously we want some kind of healing henchman.  Any suggestions?

Again thanks, I forgot how good the community was here.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:24 PM   #11
Raffir

Loremaster

Harvest rares and shinies...sell em on the broker.  Until you get to level 80-ish or so. Then start running PR and OofA to supplement sales.

I stay pretty flush that way....

Raf

Raffir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:24 PM   #12
Gilasil

Loremaster

Thanks!   

So you're betraying to Qeynos!  Cool!  I've betrayed several of my toons lately.

The healer I've always used is Stamper Jeralf.  He's in Freeport though so hire him before you start the betrayal quests, or at least before you're KoS.  He's down by the docks.  Once you've hired him you can use him even after you betray. I THINK you can hire him even after you're KoS if you don't mind sneaking around Freeport; however, I've never tried. Otherwise there's a good healer merc in Qeynos but I don't know it as I always use Stamper.  Maybe someone can enlighten us.

As for dungeons.  Take these words with a huge grain of salt.  I think Blackburrow should work well for you.  Also Wailing Caves.  Fallen Gate might work although EQ2i gives 18 as a minimum level.  Or at least the front parts of it.  Which you do probably depends on whether you prefer killing gnolls or undead.  A lot of this will depend on what your difficulty comfort level is.

Once you're a bit higher you may want to head over to Stormhold which is pretty fun.  After that Varsoon.  There's a lot of overlap in the level range of those dungeons so you can go back and forth if you like.  And you can always just stick your heads in and decide after you fight a few monsters. 

EQ2i has some good info on all these dungeons with recommended level ranges.

You may also want to eventually download EQ2maps which I've found to be very handy.  It'll make your in-game map much more useful.

P.S.  I thought about it some more and realized that if you're doing the betrayal quests at that level -- and especially the ones requiring you sneak around Freeport -- you're probably skilled enough to take things a bit tougher.  A brawler, wizard, and healer merc will probably eat Blackburrow alive. You might want to check out Stormhold sooner rather then later.  Beyond that, after you've done it a bit,  you're probably the best judge of what you're comfortable with.

P.P.S.  They've changed the betrayal quests from what they used to be.  Nowadays you can betray at any level.  There are level 90s betraying.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:39 PM   #13
><>

Loremaster

Gonna have a problem hiring a merc with 50 silver since they cost 5 plat to hire and 25 gold every 30 mins.

><> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:19 PM   #14
Puckbone

Historian

Not 5 Plat and 25g upkeep for all levels for mercs:

Upkeep

Level range

Upkeep

Hiring

1 - 10

1s

2s 50c

11 - 20

2s 50c

10s

21 - 30

10s

50s

31 - 40

25s

1g

41 - 50

50s

25g

51 - 60

5g

75g

61 - 70

10g

1p 50g

71 - 80

20g

3p

81 - 92

25g

5p

Also, I know you said you are not interested in crafting, but it takes so little time and effort to get to only level 20 in crafting that if you did only that you would be able to make Master Crafted armor (and girlfriend could make MC jewelry) that will completely suffice until you start you Armor Quests at level 20.  And MC low level items usually sell quicker than just low tier rares.  Plus, after you see how much you can make, you might have a change of heart and take up crafting as a side line.

By the way, how did you make money when you were in a guild?  Or am I just misunderstanding you, and you meant you didn’t need money when you were guilded?

Puckbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:35 PM   #15
Gilasil

Loremaster

At the 20- level range I think mercs cost a few silver.

Ack nm.  I didn't realize you'd done list of merc costs in black.  My background is also black so it looked like you'd posted nothing.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:39 PM   #16
Raffir

Loremaster

What Puck said!  I abhor crafting, but I went ahead and leveled up an armorsmith and a weaponsmith to provide for my many alts and I've never regretted it. MC armor is plenty good til lvl 85 or so.

My toons usually end up wearing a mix of MC and quest gear anyway.

Raf

Raffir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:43 PM   #17
Kraeref

Champion

Learn tradeskill as somebody has already suggested. But do not forget to learn adorning, tinkering and trunsmuting. At the higher lvl is going to be a butter on your piece of bread. Pl costantly looking for crafters and tip well for work done. Adornments and trunsmutted items which used for making adornments cost a heck of money on a broker.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:53 PM   #18
BeeJay

Loremaster

[email protected] DLere wrote:

Follow the linear quest paths in Darklight Woods or Frostfang and you wont have to worry about gear until 20.

Actually, do the quest paths in Darkligth AND Frostfand AND Kelethin  AND Gorowyn, quests in all these areas cover level ranges 1 - 20 and available to all regardless of good/evil alignment. Only small problem is guard at one of the quest hubs in Darklight who will attack good players, but he's easy to kill especially if you duo and/or have merc in tow.

As a gold player, you can level lock by moving the AA slider to 0 putting all XP gains into your AA tress. Your gf, not being gold sub, will have the slider locked at 50. However by the time you done all the quests (around 400) in these 4 zones you'll have some decent AA and some decent gear, which will set you up for the level 20 zones.

Have fun

BeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:49 AM   #19
Trebien
Server: Nektulos
Guild: Raging Phoenix

Loremaster

Gilasil wrote:

The prices on the broker are inflated by the fact that many people using it have hundreds of plat on maxxed out characters and are buying the stuff to twink alts.

I've started several characters recently and, for the most part, have made each pay it's own way.  I know what you mean about no money.  There's definately things you can do:

1.  About the gear.  In each newbie zone there are a series of quests which will get you geared up.  The first gearing quests start at level 1 and get you some 1-10ish gear I believe.  The follow on starts right after that and gets you some mid-teens gear or so.  I STRONGLY recommend you do those quests.  It'll take care of immediate gearing issues.  All the rewards are treasured I believe which means your girl friend won't have any trouble with them even on a bronze.

Like later mentioned, you really should go through and do all of the quests for the beginner zones.  You won't regret it if you self-mentor, because you can use the quest rewards (that are tradeable) and mob drops to either raise your transmuting skill, or sell on broker to other people for THEIR transmuting skill ups.  You will be able to transmute items from level 1-6 right away.  If you hit Isle of Mara before you harvest, you can start a harvest quest line that will be a great benefit as you level.  Any rares that you get can be used to either make mastercrafted items to sell, use, or transmute, or you can sell the rares for others to make into mastercrafted.  Almost anything that is treasured and higher, except for furniture and consumables, can be used for transmutable skill ups.  You can also transmute your attuned gear, if it's treasured or higher.

If you do the quests all the way through you'll also get a mount.

You can get a mount, I believe, from all of the t3 zones that you head to when following the newbie quest lines.  Butcherblock also has two crafter mounts, one gives you beneficial stats toward harvesting (and transmuting).

So basically, do all the quests in the newbie zones.  Since you're already in your mid teans you might as well skip the level 1 -10 stuff if you can handle the mid teens quests in your current gear.  If you can't just go back and do grey quests (the feather may have disappeared from the heads of some of the quest giveres but they should still give the quests if you haven't done them).  I"m not sure the easiest way to jump into the middle but start grabbing quests where you can.

If you can't tell, I strongly recommend trying to work on anything that helps get you gear for transmuting skill ups.  It's a really nice thing to work on as you level, and you should definitely keep the raws that you get from transmuting.  You can use any tier adorning raws to skill up your adorning, even grey recipes will give you skill ups.

2.  For more long term:  Hang onto whatever loot you get and put it on the broker.  Not just shinies but spells, gear, whatever.  For example, any time an adept spell drops you can't use, put it on the broker next time you're near one.  Get yourself an apartment (starter is dirt cheap) which gives you more slots to put stuff on the broker.  Don't be surprised if some things take many days to sell.  High end stuff can take even longer.  Some things take weeks.  However, once you get a pipeline going you'll have a steady stream of cash.  Get some big bags/boxes/whatever and put them in those slots.  Start with one and add more as they fill up.  You can buy those on the broker too.  For my first cut I often upgrade the bags I'm carrying and then put the old ones on the broker to hold more stuff.  Later you can just buy some nice boxes which hold a LOT of stuff. 

Don't simply look for the cheapest bags, you can find the largest non-rare bags for very cheap.  This is because everyone is making them and selling them.  I was still able to sell my smaller bags for more than I was selling my larger bags, because people weren't checking for the 44 slot bags.  It's the bearhide bags, I don't remember the name off hand.  Bags have more slots than the largest boxes, so get the bags.  If you have veteran rewards, you may have a veteran box.  It's a broker box that gives you, I believe, 44 slots?  And the broker fee is only 10%, instead of the usual 20%.  And if you place the box in your house (put in broker, go to your house, click broker window again and right click the box, select place, then place the item in your house), others can go to your house and not have to pay the broker fee.  You have to pay for your rent and make sure visitors can come to your house (click your house door while inside, access, make sure general access is visitor instead of default of none).  All of your toons will have the box if you get one.  If you have a custom user interface (find them at eq2interface.com), you might find the broker window will flag any item that you are attempting to sell for less than a merchant might purchase them.  The merchant might not give you as much, but you won't be cutting your own throat by selling for less than a merchant would give you.  And most people sell for 20%, so just go a silver less than they do, if you are selling for 20% broker fee.  Or a few copper, whatever.

Not everything will go on the broker.  No drop and hierloom items won't.  Oh well.  They can still be sold to a vendor for chump change.  Better then nothing if you can't use it.

If you both are grouped and something no-trade or heirloom drops, more than likely you can trade between you for a couple days.  So if you win something she can use, she may still be able to get it from you.  Heirloom can be traded to your toons on your account.  So if you get a heirloom item and don't have a toon on your account that can use it, but she can on another toon on her account, trade it and she can transfer it to that toon.

When putting stuff on the broker I do things in the following order:

1.  Drop my latest haul onto broker bags.

2.  For setting the price:  Open up the broker tab and go to something which has "No" for whether it's on sale.  Double click on it which opens up the "buy" tab just for that one thing.  This lets you see what others are asking for that exact same item. 

3.  Price yours a bit lower then the lowest listed.  Keep in mind the broke charages a 20% commission so you actually have to price it at least 20% below the lowest listed.

Just target the item, see how much the person is paying in broker fees.  If it's 20%, then just undercut their base price and recheck the broker to make sure you did indeed undercut them.  If they are selling for 10% broker fees, then it's going to be a steeper loss, unless you are also using a 10% veteran box.  And if you are, then you can make more money undercutting the 20%ers, because you gain that extra 10% for your pockets.

4.  Every few days go back to the broker and go through each item you still have on sale.  Double click on each to make sure you're still offering the lowest price.  If you aren't, lower the price more.

Remember, custom ui may allow you to have a general idea of what the merchant will pay you.  Items that you make through crafting will definitely be the correct price, but mob drops will likely garner a lower price from the merchant than what the ui will say.  However, it still prevents you from accidently putting something up for broker than you could have sold for more to merchant.  Shinies are a BIG money maker, so make sure to sell all of them you can on broker.  Also, anything that says fertilizer is also a big money maker, since they can be turned in to a gardener for random shinies.  They are bones, dirt, and water, so keep an eye out for those.

5.  If you and your girlfriend can go into a dungeon do so.  (Although I generally don't bother with dungeons until I've gotten the second round of gear in my late teens).  Also, if either of you has Age of Discovery you can hire a mercenary which will also help with the dungeons.  The thing about dungeons is there are better drops.  If you can use the stuff fantastic, if you can't put it on the broker if it'll let you.  If you get a Master spell you can often sell it for plat even at low level.  But by all means scribe it if you can and hold onto it if it's for youc class but just for a higher level.  Otherwise, onto the broker it goes.

I find that my biggest staple is adept spells.  Nothing fancy, just plain adepts.  Even at low level they'll sell for several gold each and there's always a demand.  Of course, selling a few masters will make me rich but the adepts provide a nice steady income once I've got a few bags full of them on the broker.

I've got a level 27 with about 30 plat, almost all of which came from broker sales.  I've got a 92 with about 600 plat from broker sales.

Back before all apartments let you have six slots on the broker, I'd invariably upgrade to the biggest house I could find in my home city after I'd been doing this awhile as by then the cost was negligable and I wanted as much broker space as I could get.

Unless you have the vet box, I'd just suggest getting the newbie inn, then not worrying about paying rent on it.  Nobody will be able to buy from your house unless you have a vet box or a special sales box, and those require rares.

Anyway, that's how I get my starter gear and pocket change.  Hope it helps.

P.S.  Once you hit level crafting level 20, make sure you have your research assistant going nonstop.  They help you get crafting levels, rares, common raws, and reactants.  Oh, and it's level 10 that you can start using a research assistant, if you have the expansion.

Oh, and edited to change the color.  I keep forgetting that blue doesn't show up well when I click submit, but yellow does much better.

I thought I would expand a bit on the excellent information already provided.  Oh, and did I mention that transmuting is something you want to work on? Heh.

Trebien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:05 AM   #20
roblinb

Loremaster

Wow so much helpful info here!  Sorry for the noob questions, but I haven't played for a long time lol

Got some more...

1) Were almost halfway done the exile quests, (I forgot how awesome and long the quest chains can be in this game) but if we wanted to get hirelings now can we?  I assume we can go to a neutral city still. 

2) Without drinking any of my vet reward xp potions I am outleveling my girlfriend about 2.5 levels to her 1.  What is causing this?  I have had an account with SOE since early 2005 when I first started playing, but I stopped my subscription from 2008 until just 3 days ago.  I made a new character to play with her, but it's nuts how I'm just blasting past her.  I know I can shut off xp and all that, which I'm probably going to do, but was just curious... am I getting extra experience because of account longevity.  The next of the aforementioned exile quests are in Nektulos forest and since she's only level 16 that's too low to go there because mobs will aggro from pretty far away.

3) UPDATE - I upgraded her to Gold.  She was getting depressed because she's trying to learn how to play, and could only have 2 bags.  I also showed her how to buy a mount in the station store with her points.  It's going a lot better now.

4) We tried Wailing Caves last night, we had moderate success (got a few Adept spells that we needed) but with no henchmen we tried the spider boss and died.  We almost had it, but when my Brawler got killed, she as a Wizard was ripped to shreds.  Should we try Blackburrow if we don't have companions.

5) I have a level 71 ranger "from back in the day."  He's Qeynos aligned... can he group with my girlfriends exile character?

Thanks in advance to the awesome answers to my silly questions

Old 08-18-2012, 08:56 AM   #21
RippedMonk

Lord

roblinb wrote:

Wow so much helpful info here!  Sorry for the noob questions, but I haven't played for a long time lol

Got some more...

1) Were almost halfway done the exile quests, (I forgot how awesome and long the quest chains can be in this game) but if we wanted to get hirelings now can we?  I assume we can go to a neutral city still. 

2) Without drinking any of my vet reward xp potions I am outleveling my girlfriend about 2.5 levels to her 1.  What is causing this?  I have had an account with SOE since early 2005 when I first started playing, but I stopped my subscription from 2008 until just 3 days ago.  I made a new character to play with her, but it's nuts how I'm just blasting past her.  I know I can shut off xp and all that, which I'm probably going to do, but was just curious... am I getting extra experience because of account longevity.  The next of the aforementioned exile quests are in Nektulos forest and since she's only level 16 that's too low to go there because mobs will aggro from pretty far away.

3) UPDATE - I upgraded her to Gold.  She was getting depressed because she's trying to learn how to play, and could only have 2 bags.  I also showed her how to buy a mount in the station store with her points.  It's going a lot better now.

4) We tried Wailing Caves last night, we had moderate success (got a few Adept spells that we needed) but with no henchmen we tried the spider boss and died.  We almost had it, but when my Brawler got killed, she as a Wizard was ripped to shreds.  Should we try Blackburrow if we don't have companions.

5) I have a level 71 ranger "from back in the day."  He's Qeynos aligned... can he group with my girlfriends exile character?

Thanks in advance to the awesome answers to my silly questions

1. Yes you can enter either a neutral city or a city of the alignment that you are betraying to without much worry.

2. Are you running an XP potion? What is your AA/XP slider set at?

4. You could probably get through the first few levels of Blackburrow without much trouble. At least it would give y'all some other mobs to kill for XP.

5. Yes a higher level alt can group with her and mentor down to her level. It gives her a 10% bonus to XP for being mentored and you higher level character will be able to kill mobs faster due to having more abilities at its disposal.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:13 PM   #22
roblinb

Loremaster

Ripped:

1) Yeah once we found out how to get into the sewers of Freeport, then on to Thieves way we were golden.  We only got 5 more left in the Qeynos bounty quest line!  We're excited about that.

2) I am not using XP potions, but I do have 200% experience going on lol... crazy.  As far as AA/XP slider I'll have to check that.  AA's just came out around the time I quit and back then they weren't the same as they are now, just something else I'm learning.

3) Okay we did the first bit of Blackburrow just fine.  When we ran into groups of double and triple up arrow mobs that's when we got killed a few times and backed out of it.  We tried Firemyst Gully as well and had a bit more success.  We got two Legendary drops and a handful of Adept spells.  It was worth it.  My girlfriend got about a level and a half.  I shut my XP off at first, and then mentored her for awhile.  Right now she's 18, I'm 21.

4) I did mentor her with my (then) level 71 ranger.  He destroyed everything in his path, named boss mobs etc, but I got overzealous and died LOL... but I dinged 72 somehow which made us both laugh.  My pride hurt immensely from that death.

Another quick question... at what faction level do the city guards not kill us on site?  We're currently Apprehensive with Qeynos, but we both have quests to turn in or update in locations in Antonica that have guards near the NPC's.  We checked out a guard when we were Dubious and they still would attack us then.  I really hope it's at Indifferent, because Amiable seems so far away even though there's just 5 more quests to go.

Yes we're going to start crafting once we get to Qeynos and become citizens.  At that point our game can really begin!

I just wish Oasis had a bit larger population.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:16 PM   #23
Bipolar

Loremaster

roblinb wrote:

but now I got my girlfriend playing

what's a girlfriend?

Old 08-18-2012, 04:59 PM   #24
Rendoir

Loremaster

I hate crafting, but once you get used to it its actually super easy, and fast to level - IF you are in a guild with crafting tables and harvesters.

It also gets you status points doing a few writs every now and then. 

As for getting cash, harvesting, shinies. 

Clue - you can go into higher level zones and get shinies. 

Clue - you can do the harvesting questline from quo augren in mara and harvest in higher level zones. 

Clue - you can get level 20 and then go farm a few places - blackburrow, wailing caves, the caves, oakmist forest, and get low level fabled and legendary and trash to sell to others.

Clue - learn to be a trader - if you don;t manage your broker sales you will have to wait for cash until higher levels. If you play every day, go to your broker and check through the prices.

Clue - do crafting. Spend a couple of sessions getting to around level 40, yes that is all it takes. Use eq2wiki to guide yourself through the quest lines, get free rares on the way, a free mount I believe, and then you casn make twink lowbie armor, weapons and spells. 

Clue - you and your girlfriend need to make crafters that make your spells. Fighter - alchemist. Healer/mage - Sage, Scout - Jeweler.

Rendoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:49 PM   #25
roblinb

Loremaster

Thanks Impact! So can anyone tell me when city guards will not KoS any more? We'd like to turn in or update some of our Antonica quests this evening, but are currently exiles with only just Apprehensive faction with Qeynos. We still have 5 more quests in the Qeynos bounty series until we get into the city and apply for citizenship. I assume it's when we get to Indifferent, but you know what they say about people that assume

Old 08-19-2012, 12:49 PM   #26
Gilasil

Loremaster

roblinb wrote:

Ripped:

1) Yeah once we found out how to get into the sewers of Freeport, then on to Thieves way we were golden.  We only got 5 more left in the Qeynos bounty quest line!  We're excited about that.

2) I am not using XP potions, but I do have 200% experience going on lol... crazy.  As far as AA/XP slider I'll have to check that.  AA's just came out around the time I quit and back then they weren't the same as they are now, just something else I'm learning.

3) Okay we did the first bit of Blackburrow just fine.  When we ran into groups of double and triple up arrow mobs that's when we got killed a few times and backed out of it.  We tried Firemyst Gully as well and had a bit more success.  We got two Legendary drops and a handful of Adept spells.  It was worth it.  My girlfriend got about a level and a half.  I shut my XP off at first, and then mentored her for awhile.  Right now she's 18, I'm 21.

4) I did mentor her with my (then) level 71 ranger.  He destroyed everything in his path, named boss mobs etc, but I got overzealous and died LOL... but I dinged 72 somehow which made us both laugh.  My pride hurt immensely from that death.

Another quick question... at what faction level do the city guards not kill us on site?  We're currently Apprehensive with Qeynos, but we both have quests to turn in or update in locations in Antonica that have guards near the NPC's.  We checked out a guard when we were Dubious and they still would attack us then.  I really hope it's at Indifferent, because Amiable seems so far away even though there's just 5 more quests to go.

Yes we're going to start crafting once we get to Qeynos and become citizens.  At that point our game can really begin!

I just wish Oasis had a bit larger population.

I didn't check the boards yesterday because I was also betraying a character to Qeynos LOL

Sorry for the length of what follows:  In the words of Mark Twain I didn't have time to make it shorter.

You may already know the following by now but here it is just in case:

If you do the faction quests, they'll stop repeating and send you off to your new city at a faction of +10,000.  In the case of Freeport to Qeynos those are the quests given by the barbarian in the tower in Commonlands  outside the Freeport entrance.  Gil something or other I believe.    

Unfortunately, you need the Age of Discovery expansion to hire a mercenary.  No way around it that I know of    However, only one of you needs the expansion if you only want one mercenary.  It also includes a new class (beastlord) and other things you may or may not care about.  But mercenaries open up the low level game so much I'd recommend AoD on that basis alone.

On the bright side, you won't need Vellious until you're closing in on 90.  However, once you get to that point both of you probably should be on a gold subscription as virtually EVERYTHING is legendary or above.  I.e. all quest rewards are legendary.  You'd spend a fortune in unlockers.

Sorry about the low popuplation on Oasis.  For future reference right now I think the highest population server is Freeport followed closely by Antonia Bayle.  Unfortunately moving to a new server is painful since it involves either buying a transfer token for each character (not sure of the price, think it's 1000 SC) or leveling up a new character.

--------------------------------------

I saw several people pushing tradeskills.  I agree that if you find it interesting you absolutely should do them.  Otherwise I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on their importance.  I don't consider tradeskilling important for an adventurer if you don't like to tradeskill.

I leveeld up an alchemist and a tailor and hated it so all my toons since then haven't done anything.  Tradeskilling wasn't for me.  Subsequent toons of mine never tradeskill and I haven't missed it.  Nowadays I never log on the alchemist and only log on the tailor to make bags for new characters which I could have bought off the broker if I'd wanted.

It turns out that for most levels below max there's a nice assortment of items on the broker.  On my server (Freeport) it's usually possible to buy fabled or legendary gear off the broker which is cheaper then master crafted and at least as good  (often better).  Often a LOT cheaper.  So that's what I do. 

At max level currently the Withering Lands solo questline will get you outfitted very well although it may be awhile before you need to worry about that.

There are two caveats to what I just said which may apply in your case:

1.   The recent addition of Mastercrafted/Fabled.   I don't know enough about that to know if it changes things.

2.  If your girl friend is still on the bronze.  Mastercrafted doesn't require an unlocker but fabled and legendary do.  This could get expensive.

In any event, you'd need three tradeskillers to get one character completely outfitted -- one to make the armor, one to make the weapon, and one to make the spells. 

If you want to do tradeskilling by all means do it.   I'm just saying it may not be all that critical if you don't like it. In fact many people just level up in treasured and do fine (although treasured is NOT fine for end game).  Your choice.

In short, concentrate on what makes things fun for you.

I think players describing EQ2 are like the blind men describing the elephant.   There are many aspects to the game -- casual adventuring, tradeskilling, raiding, house decorating, questing, etc.  Nobody does them all.  Everyone tends to think the things they do are what most people do which may not be the case.  You'll probably have to chart your own course.

---------------------------------------------

P.S.  As you discovered, mentoring is broken nowadays for its intended purpose (so players of different levels can do stuff together) Nowadays it leaves people horribly overpowered for the level they're supposed to be at.  Some people will use that to powerlevel a character.  As you also discovered, you can often get more experience mentored down slaughtering low level mobs then you can at your natural level.  Whether you want to do that is up to you.  It'll get you to the end game faster of course.  Probably a lot faster.   I personally avoid it, but that's me (back to blind men and elephant there).

P.P.S.  At some point you may want to hook up with a guild.  The 'u' key should open up a guild finding tool which may help.  You can search it, to a degree, by aspects of guilds which you care about.  A perusal of the Guild Recruitment board on this site may also help.  Of course, if you can get 4 more friends (six total) you can start your own guild.  If you start your own I think that initial group has to be the same alignment as you have to do it in a city. 

Old 08-19-2012, 07:36 PM   #27
Halo of G4

Loremaster

15,000 plat here. If you were on Crushbone I would have probably given you both 20 plat each.

Added Raid Zone:

The Goldrush: Dwell into the depths of RED base to defeat the Heavy, a powerful foe that even the Nameless fears.

Halo of G4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:54 PM   #28
General_Info

Lord

roblinb wrote:

Thanks Impact! So can anyone tell me when city guards will not KoS any more? We'd like to turn in or update some of our Antonica quests this evening, but are currently exiles with only just Apprehensive faction with Qeynos. We still have 5 more quests in the Qeynos bounty series until we get into the city and apply for citizenship. 

If you are negative faction with them at apprehensive, dubious or threatening they will not attack you.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:09 PM   #29
roblinb

Loremaster

Halo that would be cool, but actually a few things have sold.  ALSO some person had a Fabled leather chest piece (for Mystics, and some other class... maybe Warden) in the market for 55 silver.  I immediately bought it and put it back on the market for 15 plat (about 50 gold cheaper than the next listing of said item) so if it sells I'll be laughing to the bank. 

We finally got amiable with Qeynos last night and will be getting the citizenship quest with Gil today.  Now we're moving along!  I can hire mercenaries because I have AoD, so we're looking at doing Stormhold soon.

More tips or advice are appreciated, and thanks!

Old 08-20-2012, 09:14 AM   #30
CLARA

Elder

CLARA is offline   Reply With Quote