EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Support Forums > Tech Area > Connection Support
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-11-2012, 08:55 PM   #1
Rothrandir
Server: Permafrost
Guild: Grievance

Loremaster

In February I had the launcher mysteriously decide to replace its configuration file, switching itself into streaming mode in the process.  There was a bunch of reports on the forum around that time.  I'd hoped you guys would do something to fix the issue.  Well, this afternoon the Launcher tried to do it again:

**** Starting at Wed Apr 11 16:43:47 2012 with plug-in 1.0.3.170 ****12b4-00:00:00:Checking game installation...12b4-00:00:00:Found 3 file(s) to update.0c44-00:00:00:Replacing mozilla/components/xpti.dat0878-00:00:00:Replacing LaunchPad.ini0c44-00:00:00:Replacing eq2_default.iniFinished downloading 33,161 bytes in 0.163 seconds (203,441 bytes per second)12b4-00:00:00:Beginning asset preload...1334-00:00:47:Asset preload complete

After this I got an error about no streaming assests being present when I tried to launch the game.

Once again, I went up to the web site and downloaded the Full client installer and repaired my Launcher installation.  Please fix this before it happens again

Edit:  It seems several other people in my guild had the same thing happen this afternoon.  So, its not just an isolated incident.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:59 PM   #2
Drakah

Loremaster

This just happened to me 2x now as well.

Now the patcher is "preloading assets" with alot of MB to preload, so I had to cancel it AGAIN.

Why is this thing doing this??

Drakah Sha`Kahr

www.shakahr.com / www.eqinterface.com
Drakah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:40 PM   #3
Squeeble

Loremaster

I'm having the same problem, too.  My wife had this issue a few months back, and we found a way around it but of course now I can't remember what we did.  Please don't tell me I have to uninstall and reinstall?

EDIT:  I have my launcher by default to "Run as administrator"; I decided to not run it as an administrator and the "preloading assets" was not an issue now...however after logging into the game I get a runtime error message: "Program: C:ProgramDataSony Online...yadda yadda       R6025 -pure virtual function call"

So I haven't solved my problem yet

EDIT:  So before posting this, I left the game window up with that error message, made this post and went back to it and the game was loaded.  It's still loading the assets in the background and I have that stupid little dragon in the corner of my window (which I rarely ever see).  So, still don't know what's going on

Squeeble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:41 PM   #4
Solarax

Loremaster

same here . it destroyed my pak folder on my SSD drive that i use exclusively for eq2 which really #$%# me off

Solarax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:43 AM   #5
DeathtoGnomes

Loremaster

13,366 MB of Assets? so yet another moronic yesman decides to patch the launcher and just says " oh ya, sure boss, it will work no problem" 

Old 04-12-2012, 08:32 AM   #6
Armawk
Server: Everfrost
Guild: Nos Es Rutilus

Loremaster

To delete 16GB+ of data from someone's machine without their permission beggars belief. When it may cost that person money to redownload its even worse. 

How do you even write a program to do that without knowing you are doing so? Why would you ever write a program to delete that in the first place without large warnings/confirmations?

And then to just ignore the playerbase completely and let more and more people run into the brick wall you set up? Have you no shame?

Im lucky. I have multiple machines and backups. Most people do not have that.

Armawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:25 PM   #7
CantbeBothered

Loremaster

What on earth??  Non Streamed assets present or something, now its downloading 14319MB and my pak's folder is empty....

Who's testing these changes?

CantbeBothered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #8
Yavie

Tester

So, yesterday suddenly this non-streamed assets present or something is showing up.   If I had WANTED streaming, when this new launcher came out, I would have CHOSEN streaming.  I HATE streaming client.   

So, now that that's off my chest:  I had the choice of saying yes/no/cancel to streaming or full download.  I said yes and my pc locked up hard.  What's that about?

And now when I try to log ito eq2 I get a red box that does nothing.  /sigh

Anyhow, please fix this thing where you try and move everyone to streaming client whether we want it or not.

Thanks.

Yanu/Yavie

YAVIE 90 WARDEN/90 CARP., PERMAFROST
Yavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:42 PM   #9
Piestro

Community Relations

Reposting from the main thread:

MattMeyer wrote (edited):

Yeah, I caught wind of this last night.  There is some code that is trying (incorrectly) to detect what version it thinks you should be running and making bad things happen when it tries to fix it.

We are working to address this issue in an upcoming patch.  Meanwhile, if you get this error too, do the following:  In the LaunchPad, if you are in streaming mode, open the Advanced Settings menu, Select Game Version, and check the FULL ASSET box.  Let it finish patching the pack files (if you are done patching and it says preloading assets then you are finished...you dont need to wait for them) then close the LaunchPad.  Before launching, go the game install directory and DELETE the assetcache folder, assetslib.vpl, and !RunUntilLaunch.dll.

Locate the LaunchPad.ini file and make sure it looks exactly like this:

[Settings]digestURL=http://manifest.patch.station.sony.com/patch/sha/manifest/launchpad/lp4-live/live/lp-eq2-full.sha.soeappName=EverQuest IIappIcon=EQII.icoid=eq2width=917height=638options =tcg:1,full:1[Logging]Address= lvs-gt-els01.station.sony.com:20060[CrashReporter]Address=recap2.freerealms.net

Once that is done and verified, relaunch the LP and you should be back in Full mode.  If you do get that popup that says a configuration error was detected and do you want to change modes, just CANCEL it.  It should go away with the next patch.

We're verifying these steps, however this is a fix that one of our developers got to work last night. A great place to get LP related issues addressed is the Launchpad Discussion subforums on the Station Forums. We'll continue to look into these issues and get them addressed as promptly as possible.

Thanks,

EverQuest Community Relations Manager

Piestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:04 PM   #10
Cronqar

Loremaster

Hmm, here is a copy/paste of some additional text by MattMeyer.

"Yeah, I caught wind of this last night.  There is some code in the game client that is trying (incorrectly) to detect what version it thinks you should be running and making bad things happen when they try and fix it.

They are removing this code in the Game Update that is going out next Tuesday.  Meanwhile, if yo........."

Tuesday? Are you serious? And Piestro, how many forums do you want us to check?

Cronqar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #11
Piestro

Community Relations

Cronqar wrote:

"Yeah, I caught wind of this last night.  There is some code in the game client that is trying (incorrectly) to detect what version it thinks you should be running and making bad things happen when they try and fix it.

They are removing this code in the Game Update that is going out next Tuesday.  Meanwhile, if yo........."

I reposted the data here so that it would be available. The purpose of the link is to make people aware there are other places where information may be more readily available before I get a chance to repost it. SMILEY

Tuesday was an older estimate, it may or may not be accurate (hence my edited version). If I have more news on this topic I'll share it.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #12
Geothe

Loremaster

Piestro wrote:

Cronqar wrote:

I reposted the data here so that it would be available. The purpose of the link is to make people aware there are other places where information may be more readily available before I get a chance to repost it.

Tuesday was an older estimate, it may or may not be accurate (hence my edited version). If I have more news on this topic I'll share it.

In the mean time, all those players that had 12+ GB of files deleted from their computers and have data limits on their internet plans are truely SOL due to SoE breaking their patcher, right?

Smed: 5) This [LoN] is not some slippery slope towards selling items directly in EQ & EQ II.

Lie #3: Station Cash. Enough Said.

Geothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:57 PM   #13
Piestro

Community Relations

Piestro wrote:

Cronqar wrote:

I reposted the data here so that it would be available. The purpose of the link is to make people aware there are other places where information may be more readily available before I get a chance to repost it.

To update the situation, we've patched the patcher so this should no longer be occuring. Please let us know if you continue to see this behavior.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:15 PM   #14
Sulaimon

Defender

Your new patch apparently broke the patcher...I've not been able to get the game to launch for a few hours 

and keep getting an error that reads -

ERROR!

Unable to write to Exception: Cannot open file - D:/EQ2/EverQuest2.exe (13) - http://eq2.patch.station.sony.com/p...74ecd060ba21a2. The file may be in use or you may lack the necessary permissions to install.

Sulaimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:58 AM   #15
Wolf250

Loremaster

STILL streaming and now 10:00 (GMT)

If i am stuck re-loading all my dam pak files again i will leave this as i cannot afford the bill i will get from my ISP.

Please tell me you test these things before you give them to us?

Wolf250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:59 AM   #16
oldsnowy

Loremaster

On Splitpaw -

I got thrown to Streaming yesterday, it deleted my PAK folder. I reinstalled... (and made a backup).

This morning, it threw me straight into Straming, no warning, no choice, just logged in to a sloooow opening - took minutes to load the Zone for starters. The game is virtually unplayable. I've even got a tiny dragon-thing in the corner, showing download %age - its new, and annoying!

I've tried loading straight from eq2.exe, but that gets overwritten, a new Patcher takes over stratightaway. 

There is no Option in the “Advanced Settings” to do anything about this. It gives NO CHOICES. On “Seelect Game Version” it allows language choice, that is all – no choice of Full or Streaming.I’ve looked in the directory, PAK folder is still there, but it WILL NOT ALLOW ME TO USE FULL setup.

Where oh where is a “Full Verison” box to tick???

PLEASE sort this out!

oldsnowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #17
Pimmy
Server: Splitpaw
Guild: Amenta

Loremaster

Piestro wrote:

Piestro wrote:

Cronqar wrote:

To update the situation, we've patched the patcher so this should no longer be occuring. Please let us know if you continue to see this behavior.

Your update seems to have caused more damage than it fixed. The checkbox for full download is missing and new Launchpad FORCES the use of Streaming Client at least on EU players on Splitpaw!!!

Now we have NO WAY to play NORMAL WORKING NON-LAGGY FULL DOWNLOAD VERSION !!!!

Please fix this and get rid of the whole stupid streaming client. It is the most idiotic thing ever.

EDIT:

The game did not give any errors or warning. It silently forces you to streaming. Game is unplayable.

Pimmy (90 Shadow Knight/Alchemist/Adorner)

Nysse (90 Warden/Sage)

Rutto (90 Defiler)

Varjotar (90 Troubador)

Villi (Beastlord)

Splitpaw server
Pimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:48 PM   #18
oldsnowy

Loremaster

There is a way round it - for today, on splitpaw, for me and a few others at least.  After much mucking about, we found that if you run the "Everquest 2.exe" file - note, NOT the EQ2.exe one - then all seems fine.

This works - for today. I did not have to do that yesterday, as the instructions given here worked fine then. They DO NOT work today; who knows what tomorrorow will bring SMILEY 

Good job someone worked out a work-around, but sadly no thanks to SOE...

oldsnowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:23 PM   #19
Jrral

Loremaster

If the servers have been fixed, what I've found works is to delete the cache, assetcache, logincache-* (varies by region) and fixedassets folders from your game folder. Then download the full-download client from the link on http://launch.soe.com/eq2/ and tell it to install a new copy into your existing game folder (change the install location to your existing folder). That replaces the launchpad binaries and gets you back without a big patch, as long as the servers aren't still forcing the streaming client on you. It won't help until SOE fixes the launchpad servers, unfortunately.

Jrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:44 PM   #20
Bjerde

Loremaster

I have been fine, no problems with the launcher. Then last night after trying to get on Test it started streaming the regular client on me when I tried to log into the regular game. I did not even log into Test, but got to the char select screen so there was some download.

I did not change anything, I just went to Test. So, there has to be something that wasn't updated on there. I am now stuck in streaming mode and came here to find a solution.

Everfrost.Wikkan - Battlegrounds
Bjerde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:22 PM   #21
Nebbeny

Tester

oldsnowy wrote:

There is a way round it - for today, on splitpaw, for me and a few others at least.  After much mucking about, we found that if you run the "Everquest 2.exe" file - note, NOT the EQ2.exe one - then all seems fine.

This works - for today. I did not have to do that yesterday, as the instructions given here worked fine then. They DO NOT work today; who knows what tomorrorow will bring  

Good job someone worked out a work-around, but sadly no thanks to SOE...

This only works untill they update the game, then we're SooL once again.  Thanks for breaking the launchpad guys, it's a shame there wasn't a working version of it that we were able to use before you forced us to this new groundbreaking (or code breaking, i can't keep up these days) launcher.

Nebbeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #22
TSR-MattG

Customer Service

[email protected] wrote:

I have been fine, no problems with the launcher. Then last night after trying to get on Test it started streaming the regular client on me when I tried to log into the regular game. I did not even log into Test, but got to the char select screen so there was some download.

I did not change anything, I just went to Test. So, there has to be something that wasn't updated on there. I am now stuck in streaming mode and came here to find a solution.

There's another bug that's popped up causing regions to not switch when changed in the launchpad. If you close/reopen the launchpad after switching to Test/EU/US regions it should repatch then. I'm reporting on this now.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:16 AM   #23
Twofeets

Loremaster

They claimed to have fixed this issue, but as of 4/17, 10am my time (2 hours past london time) it is still going on!

I completely unstalled EQ2, I removed all registry entries about EQ2, I then installed the full download version again.  And its still giving me that dumb dragon and streaming!  It makes the game completely unplayable for me!

Twofeets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:05 AM   #24
ailees

Loremaster

Same problem for me, Launcher is in STreaming mode and does not offer me the switch between both.

everquest2.exe can start the game correctly.

NOTHING CHANGED.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:33 AM   #25
Gladiolus

Loremaster

Another patch and still this hasn't been fixed. How're we supposed to play when every step the character takes needs a download? Walk to the crafting table, pause for the dragon to appear with some numbers. Walk to the fuel merchant, same thing. Back to the crafting table, same thing. Six years ago EQ2 was smoother than this. If I play on the American servers, it doesn't happen. Even going to the new lands for the first time was no problem there.

Can we please have the European side fixed?

Gladiolus is offline   Reply With Quote