EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-05-2012, 03:34 PM   #1
Wolfmyth

Loremaster

Which genius invented the bottom yellow bar where if two same level ^^^ mobs are attacking him makes him just decide to quit, stand there and cower....

If a merc is supposed to suplement a player then why have this restriction making some mercs for some classes close to usless. I can hop onto my tank or DPS hire a healer merc, pull a room and the healer will keep healing me. However if I decide to play a healer and grab a DPS merc, he can't even handle two mobs.....nice one.

Wolfmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
Jrral

Loremaster

Well, yes. DPS aren't supposed to be tanking. You'd be advised to look for a high-damage tank type instead of a DPS type.

Yes, I know players tank easily on DPS classes. The devs aren't obliged to change their concept of the roles to fit your play-style.

Jrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:52 PM   #3
Miss_Jackie

Loremaster

Meh, I feel that mercs are meant as a last resort until I find a group going on.

Miss_Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:02 PM   #4
Wolfmyth

Loremaster

Wow seems like the Brig merc cowers from two green ^^^ ......

I tried the Guardian merc before and found the Brig to be a much better tank (easier to heal). I wonder if the higher up you go in levels the more they can take, because I don't recall having these issues on my 50ish warden.

Still the cower mechanic just punishes some classes (healers mainly) while it won't matter at all to the others.

I might as well just pick up the inq merc on my healer also, and just tank on my healer...

Old 01-05-2012, 04:13 PM   #5
Wolfmyth

Loremaster

Wolfmyth wrote:

I wonder if the higher up you go in levels the more they can take, because I don't recall having these issues on my 50ish warden.

Nope, just hopped into him to test him out again, two blue ^^^ made the merc usless, lovely.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:48 PM   #6
Kenazeer

Loremaster

I tried out the brig Merc and didn't seem to have a problem with him at level 60 in Den of the Devourer where the mobs were orange. I don't know if maybe the mechanics made him feel "safe" with my tank, or maybe he was just killing them so fast that he didn't have a chance to morale out, or whatever the case may be, but I spent a couple hours with him and never even noticed him cowering once. Maybe they have changed it since then though (which was probably 10-14 days ago) and I haven't notice because I havent had him out since then.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:56 PM   #7
Rainmare
Server: Oasis
Guild: Pillage

Loremaster

it's becuase they are both ^^^. while we as players can handle two of them, the npc sees both of them together as something WAY beyond his power to handle. you aren't paying him enough to go on suicide runs.

as far as the merc is concerned, your wanting to take the two of you, and deal with mobs that it should take 12 people to handle. (2 'groups' one per mob) and yeah. he sees that, and basically tells you to go to hell, you ain't paying him enough for that.

the priest's job is just to try and keep you alive. you do crazy stunts like that, and die..the priest can, supposedly at least, rez you, tell you your an idiot, and tack on an extra service fee SMILEY

Rainmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:13 AM   #8
Elomort

Loremaster

Wolfmyth wrote:

I can hop onto my tank or DPS hire a healer merc, pull a room and the healer will keep healing me. However if I decide to play a healer and grab a DPS merc, he can't even handle two mobs.....nice one.

Maybe you should consider hiring a tank merc if you want a tank? That way the poor merc wont be "In over his head" as the debuff is called.

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.
Elomort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:34 AM   #9
feldon30

Fansite Staff

Elomort wrote:

Wolfmyth wrote:

I can hop onto my tank or DPS hire a healer merc, pull a room and the healer will keep healing me. However if I decide to play a healer and grab a DPS merc, he can't even handle two mobs.....nice one.

Maybe you should consider hiring a tank merc if you want a tank? That way the poor merc wont be "In over his head" as the debuff is called.

If the Brigand merc didn't have better tanking and survivability than the Guardian and Paladin mercs, I'd agree with you.

feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:43 AM   #10
Valonia

Loremaster

feldon30 wrote:

Elomort wrote:

Wolfmyth wrote:

If the Brigand merc didn't have better tanking and survivability than the Guardian and Paladin mercs, I'd agree with you.

I second that. At least the guardian merc is a sad excuse for a tank and dies nearly twice as fast compared to the brigand.
Valonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:45 AM   #11
Banedon_Toran

Lord

They're a merc, they do the minimum they think they can get away with for the money you are paying. If you don't like their performance sack 'em. If certain merc's become massively underused I suspect Sony will tweak them anyway, but if you want something more powerful or more willing to do exactly what you request then hire a player.
Banedon_Toran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:58 AM   #12
Armawk
Server: Everfrost
Guild: Nos Es Rutilus

Loremaster

feldon30 wrote:

Elomort wrote:

Sorry are you guys saying the Brigand merc is too good or not good enough? Or both? Because he is good enough that you want to use him as a tank, he should therefore be even better so you can use him as a tank?

Armawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:12 AM   #13
Luterin

Lord

Elomort wrote:

Wolfmyth wrote:

If Tank Mercs had any mitigation, then I am sure they would be used A LOT more!

Luterin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:17 AM   #14
Brigh

Loremaster

I don't know what the problem is. The brigand merc handles at least two mobs on him just fine.

-Stephen Colbert

CoD3 double XP Rank Up promotion lesson for kids
Brigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:02 AM   #15
Zhadowsee
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Keepers of Darklight

Loremaster

I've used both Swash and Brig mercs with great success.  I can say the same for the Wizard and Warlock mercs which both also pack quite a punch.  

Maybe the OP just doesn't know how to use mercs?  

Zhadowsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:05 AM   #16
Wolfmyth

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

I've used both Swash and Brig mercs with great success.  I can say the same for the Wizard and Warlock mercs which both also pack quite a punch.  

Maybe the OP just doesn't know how to use mercs?  

Please point me to the mechanic that I can bypass cowering from 2 ^^^, non linked seperate mobs since your so good at using mercs.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:18 AM   #17
Elomort

Loremaster

feldon30 wrote:

Elomort wrote:

Wolfmyth wrote:

The Guard and Paladin have better healing than Stamper... who only likes to cure... but I wouldn't take one in to a fight expecting them to fill the role.

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.
Elomort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:20 AM   #18
Arcturys

Lord

I keep encountering an issue that seems random. There are times when the healer merc will just stand there and die rather than heal himself. I was soloing in the Erudin Research Halls and he was getting pounded by AE. I was barely getting scratched, so he wasn't busy healing me. He basically just stood there the last half of the fight and then bit it because he refused to heal himself. This is random. Sometimes he will heal himself, but only about half the time.

Arcturys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:55 AM   #19
Avirodar
Server: Oasis
Guild: Tyranny

Loremaster

Arcturys wrote:

I keep encountering an issue that seems random. There are times when the healer merc will just stand there and die rather than heal himself. I was soloing in the Erudin Research Halls and he was getting pounded by AE. I was barely getting scratched, so he wasn't busy healing me. He basically just stood there the last half of the fight and then bit it because he refused to heal himself. This is random. Sometimes he will heal himself, but only about half the time.

The merc was probably watching TV, or getting a drink, or off to bio for the 9th time in an hour.It looks like SOE coded mercenaries to act like the typical PUG member.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:08 AM   #20
Neiloch

Loremaster

I had these problems in other MMO's with NPC helpers. If you think of their bugs/shortcomings as players simply being bad, they are surprisingly accurate.

"So I have half health and you think its a good time to try out your priest DPS? Awesome."

"You'd probably have a better time tanking if you weren't in offensive stance in your barely up to par gear."

"Hey I heard of this exploit where if people in the group actually follow the tank and assist him the group works WAY better, we should try it."

"at what point did you think running out heal range while taking the mob out of the tanks melee range was a 'l33t strat?"

Old 01-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #21
S_M_I_T_E

Loremaster

The only value of the tank mercs is that they're tuned heroic and can keep agro if you hold back.

Honestly, I find that there's plenty of big room mobs in the game that stifle you to keep you from acting, your merc cowers, and then the mobs just beat on each other.

I want to know when the Warlock merc will be back. They feel they have to take it out of the game quick but the Brig is more powerful by far for taking hits and doing more damage than the tank ones.

For that matter when is the SK is going to be in game that was in the preview.  I want it to tank like the brig and have the AOE dps of the warlock.

S_M_I_T_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #22
Felshades

Loremaster

Elomort wrote:

feldon30 wrote:

Elomort wrote:

Wolfmyth wrote:

The Guard and Paladin have better healing than Stamper... who only likes to cure... but I wouldn't take one in to a fight expecting them to fill the role.

Don't tell him to assist anyone and he'll heal.

Heals me just fine.

Felshades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:02 PM   #23
Citadelli

Loremaster

The only merc i've even seen hold his own (whether it be damage out or damage in) over all of them is the brig... (they took out the mages so i have no idea bout them).  The tanks are a joke especially the pali one, the healers have come in handy in unfamiliar situations.

There's really not a good balance yet in this system to be honest.

Citadelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:15 AM   #24
Deago

Loremaster

Eh just put elite mercs on sc already and be done with it all.  I mean you can cry about how it will take away from real people but all you hear 24/7 on high end groups other then guildies (which you wouldnt replace with a merc anyway due to them being pals etc..) is pug is terrible omg df stinks blah blah blah

Sell us or let us quest or something for the hoss mercs (the % on finding the rare merc is worse then finding flavor in cardboard)....code them to drop if you want for new zones and/or certain "new" areas if you wish to please everybody imho. 

You dont want your elite merc taking raid spots? fine code them out of say sf+ raid zones. 

They already have the mechanics to drop/lock groups out of zones just twink that code for elite mercs SMILEY

Could introduce an "equip your merc" interface but i just see trouble in that SMILEY

Old 01-08-2012, 03:23 PM   #25
Alenna
Server: Guk
Guild: Defenders of the Light

Loremaster

Miss_Jackie wrote:

Meh, I feel that mercs are meant as a last resort until I find a group going on.

^^^This.

Mercs were never supposed to out do live players just be a way for some who couldn't find groups enjoy more of the content.