EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-11-2011, 09:43 AM   #1
Lasai

Loremaster

Seriously.  Ok it's zoneless.  and?

Let me see.. old WFP, Bells, banker, multiple places to craft in the shops, HQ and cellar.  Broker.  SFP the same.  EFP the same. 

The only zoning done was to get to unique npcs for quests, collections, class and faction NPCs.  Was this really such an issue?

So, Freeport is zoneless at the cost of massive lag.  In some instances you are running further to find common services like bank and broker than you did in the old Zone.

In addition we lose choices in where to live.  We lose roleplay choices.  You don't LIVE in a suburb now.. you don't choose why to go there.. you now follow someone else's canned scripline to visit there.. period.  There is no possible storyline other than the one given, no option to make your home there for whatever reason.  A staggering loss of personal story, options, self determination.. choice.

We lost shops, characters, buildings, ambience.  The "reknowned Brushwhittle" is now a ragged street artist for example.  The quaint row of shops across from the Jade tiger is now a sewer fountain?  the whole city is full of sorry tradeoffs. The city is a  soulless facade.. but zoneless

We had that.. in Thurgadin. New Halas.  People already had the choice of living in that environment.  The "new" Freeport is not new. it has just been made to be as those are.   You can say Freeport is bustling now with the new quests.. well so did Terens Grasp.  So did Paneal.  So has every new quest hub.. and like those.. in 6 months it will be as abandoned as those places are now and the people currently ectatic over the "new" shiny quest hub will have moved on.

You can tell me forever that less is more, because it is shinier.. and Im not buying it.

Nothing will change.  Just like when mountspeed choices were ripped from us. 

But, I do want to thank you.  For years I have returned to this game, for the familiarity, for the memories, for the persistance of the town I started in, the memories on every corner,  the ability to seamlessly re enter at least one area of the game that remained largely as it was, an anchor.  I think you all have finally given me the impetus to walk away from this.

Enough is Enough.  You destroyed mount speed options, destroyed crafting, destroyed itemization, destroyed  multi stat customization and consideration, destroyed having to think about gear, and continue to destroy options and choices.. all the while telling me that the Emperor's New Clothes are what I REALLY wanted all along.

I took all that.. But now.. you have taken my history, my city, my home.  Too Much.

Ironic.  For years I paid to be here, and still pay.. in spite of losing reasons to.  Now.. the game is free and I have no wish or reason to be here.. at all.

Please.  Reconsider Qeynos.  I do not want others to feel as I do now.. and I dont want to see those people lose what we have.  I don't wish for them to log in.. look around.. and log out as I do now.

Please.. consider giving us back ONE generic traditional suburb.. small, instanced, less lag, Inn with all room options, craft cellar, banker, broker, mender, etc. Give us a choice to be a part of Freeport, but not shoved into the "new" freeport.  Give us an option back.. please.

Lasai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:03 AM   #2
Mohee

Lord

/agreed

I don't remember anyone asking for this change = and most the people I know were only looking forward to flying around freeport. I hardly know anyone in-game who likes the new freeport.

When I heard they were re-doing Qeynos and Freeport to be zoneless and able to fly in them, myself and everyone I know was under the impression the city would be the same, just remove the zoning doors and make it a fly zone. That would be awesome

Imagine swooping in from Commonlands/Antonica straight over the city walls into Freeport/Qeynos (but still the exact same city). That would have been a truly awesome change!

EQ'ing since 1999
Mohee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:32 AM   #3
Riftsburn

Tester

I took all that.. But now.. you have taken my history, my city, my home.

As a roleplayer myself, I don't look at the world of Norrath as a static, unchanging thing.  I think it adds to the immersiveness, rather than taking away from it.  So, the Overlord decided to put a shiny face on Freeport to try to impress the rest of the world.  What my little Freeportian sees is that he shined everything up at the cost of "the little people"- He threw people out of their homes (my character being one of them.  I loved the Bloodhaze. SMILEY), the slum are all in an uproar, and he would have the world believe that Freeport is some shiny, powerful place, when it's just the same old Freeport, with a spitshine.

Now, I personally love the new Freeport, but I understand that one's mileage may vary.  I just don't look at it as a loss of roleplay ability.  It doesn't negate your character's history, it adds a layer on to your character's future, I think.

~Amis, ever hopeful. SMILEY

Riftsburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:48 AM   #4
Katz

Loremaster

While I can see that the city can be made to look more prosperous, I don't see that the suburbs being removed from common use was needed.    It's too late for Freeport, I hope that they will not remove the suburbs from Qeynos.  

Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:01 AM   #5
Lasai

Loremaster

[email protected] DLere wrote:

As a roleplayer myself, I don't look at the world of Norrath as a static, unchanging thing.  I think it adds to the immersiveness, rather than taking away from it.  So, the Overlord decided to put a shiny face on Freeport to try to impress the rest of the world.  What my little Freeportian sees is that he shined everything up at the cost of "the little people"- He threw people out of their homes (my character being one of them.  I loved the Bloodhaze. ), the slum are all in an uproar, and he would have the world believe that Freeport is some shiny, powerful place, when it's just the same old Freeport, with a spitshine.

Now, I personally love the new Freeport, but I understand that one's mileage may vary.  I just don't look at it as a loss of roleplay ability.  It doesn't negate your character's history, it adds a layer on to your character's future, I think.

~Amis, ever hopeful.

It negates an entire sphere of roleplay.. the village.  If I had the chance and choice to flee "urban renewal" by returning to Beggars Court, I would.   Dirty, grimy, old.. but every bit as much of a "Village" in concept as WillowWood or Baubleshire.

Do we really want to embrace the loss of that concept totally?  Is there no room in this game for the quiet village?

In freeport, that choice is forever gone.  If people do not raise thier voices now.. the village concept will be gone forever when Qeynos is Thurgadined.

Personally, I think it is too much of a loss.

And I will add one more thought.. the entire revamp is pretty much a failure because of opposed mandates.  To make the area zoneless required loss of polycount and load.  The "artistic" revamp added thousands of unneeded polys and load.  I would hate to hazard a guess just how many polies just the horrible tent added.. vs the old structure.. how many were added with the spiked open lattice towers vs the old simple geometrics.. the load added of multiple floating citadels, just for starters.   Far more could have been spruced up with art and textures vs the addition of hundreds of thousands of polys of dubious artistic merit.  Too much was removed in favor of unneeded and overly complex objects with high polycounts.   Art is the illusion of detail.. and they modeled far too many unneeded objects.   Freeport could have been vastly improved with art.. and they chose polys.. then had to toss polys because of zoneless.. and so things like the Seafury ship were tossed..along with so much more.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:04 AM   #6
SOE-MOD-04

Community Moderator

This post has moved: /eq2/posts/preList.m?topic_id=50011...post_id=5679939 removed for trolling
SOE-MOD-04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:28 PM   #7
Riftsburn

Tester

Lasai wrote:

As a roleplayer myself, I don't look at the world of Norrath as a static, unchanging thing.  I think it adds to the immersiveness, rather than taking away from it.  So, the Overlord decided to put a shiny face on Freeport to try to impress the rest of the world.  What my little Freeportian sees is that he shined everything up at the cost of "the little people"- He threw people out of their homes (my character being one of them.  I loved the Bloodhaze. ), the slum are all in an uproar, and he would have the world believe that Freeport is some shiny, powerful place, when it's just the same old Freeport, with a spitshine.

~Amis, ever hopeful.

It negates an entire sphere of roleplay.. the village.  If I had the chance and choice to flee "urban renewal" by returning to Beggars Court, I would.   Dirty, grimy, old.. but every bit as much of a "Village" in concept as WillowWood or Baubleshire.

Do we really want to embrace the loss of that concept totally?  Is there no room in this game for the quiet village?

In freeport, that choice is forever gone.  If people do not raise thier voices now.. the village concept will be gone forever when Qeynos is Thurgadined.

Personally, I think it is too much of a loss.

And I will add one more thought.. the entire revamp is pretty much a failure because of opposed mandates.  To make the area zoneless required loss of polycount and load.  The "artistic" revamp added thousands of unneeded polys and load.  I would hate to hazard a guess just how many polies just the horrible tent added.. vs the old structure.. how many were added with the spiked open lattice towers vs the old simple geometrics.. the load added of multiple floating citadels, just for starters.   Far more could have been spruced up with art and textures vs the addition of hundreds of thousands of polys of dubious artistic merit.  Too much was removed in favor of unneeded and overly complex objects with high polycounts.   Art is the illusion of detail.. and they modeled far too many unneeded objects.   Freeport could have been vastly improved with art.. and they chose polys.. then had to toss polys because of zoneless.. and so things like the Seafury ship were tossed..along with so much more.

Ok, so actually, most of your issues are OOC issues.   That's fair enough.  I was just pointing out that roleplay shouldn't be static when we "live" in a changing world.  Characters should be able to (and in some cases *have* to) adapt to their environment.

If you, as a player, don't like the changes, that's fine, everyone's got an opinion, but don't say it kills roleplay, when it clearly does the opposite, or rather gives the opportunity for character depth.  It may take away from what you as a player want to do with your character, but, and I mean no disrespect at all here, them's the breaks, sometimes-especially in a game where so many different things can and should affect your character every time you log in.

Old 12-11-2011, 12:48 PM   #8
Mizlek

Loremaster

Lasai wrote:

Enough is Enough.  You destroyed mount speed options, destroyed crafting, destroyed itemization, destroyed  multi stat customization and consideration, destroyed having to think about gear, and continue to destroy options and choices.. all the while telling me that the Emperor's New Clothes are what I REALLY wanted all along.

I took all that.. But now.. you have taken my history, my city, my home.  Too Much.

Word for word, this is exactly how I feel. Exactly. I told myself, if they "messed" up Freeport, that it would be the last straw. I feared not only what the city would become, but how it would perform, given how the other cities do. On that last point, it performs far worse than I imagined. I suppose there's some hope for improvement there though. Freeport unfortunately, is lost. I don't know what I'm going to do now.

Ironically, *now* I feel like a refugee. My toons kicked out of their homes and forced to live in a place that I do not like and where I do not want to be.

Besides some friends, I don't know what's left.

-Miz

Old 12-11-2011, 01:14 PM   #9
d1anaw

Loremaster

Lasai wrote:

Seriously.  Ok it's zoneless.  and?

Let me see.. old WFP, Bells, banker, multiple places to craft in the shops, HQ and cellar.  Broker.  SFP the same.  EFP the same. 

The only zoning done was to get to unique npcs for quests, collections, class and faction NPCs.  Was this really such an issue?

So, Freeport is zoneless at the cost of massive lag.  In some instances you are running further to find common services like bank and broker than you did in the old Zone.

In addition we lose choices in where to live.  We lose roleplay choices.  You don't LIVE in a suburb now.. you don't choose why to go there.. you now follow someone else's canned scripline to visit there.. period.  There is no possible storyline other than the one given, no option to make your home there for whatever reason.  A staggering loss of personal story, options, self determination.. choice.

We lost shops, characters, buildings, ambience.  The "reknowned Brushwhittle" is now a ragged street artist for example.  The quaint row of shops across from the Jade tiger is now a sewer fountain?  the whole city is full of sorry tradeoffs. The city is a  soulless facade.. but zoneless

We had that.. in Thurgadin. New Halas.  People already had the choice of living in that environment.  The "new" Freeport is not new. it has just been made to be as those are.   You can say Freeport is bustling now with the new quests.. well so did Terens Grasp.  So did Paneal.  So has every new quest hub.. and like those.. in 6 months it will be as abandoned as those places are now and the people currently ectatic over the "new" shiny quest hub will have moved on.

You can tell me forever that less is more, because it is shinier.. and Im not buying it.

Nothing will change.  Just like when mountspeed choices were ripped from us. 

But, I do want to thank you.  For years I have returned to this game, for the familiarity, for the memories, for the persistance of the town I started in, the memories on every corner,  the ability to seamlessly re enter at least one area of the game that remained largely as it was, an anchor.  I think you all have finally given me the impetus to walk away from this.

Ironic.  For years I paid to be here, and still pay.. in spite of losing reasons to.  Now.. the game is free and I have no wish or reason to be here.. at all.

Please.  Reconsider Qeynos.  I do not want others to feel as I do now.. and I dont want to see those people lose what we have.  I don't wish for them to log in.. look around.. and log out as I do now.

Please.. consider giving us back ONE generic traditional suburb.. small, instanced, less lag, Inn with all room options, craft cellar, banker, broker, mender, etc. Give us a choice to be a part of Freeport, but not shoved into the "new" freeport.  Give us an option back.. please.

Actually, I look forward to Qeynos being done. I find it annoying as hell to have to zone in and out of each area. And I also think some people take a video game waaaaaay to seriously.

d1anaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:35 PM   #10
Iad

Loremaster

My issue is that they spent months "updating" Freeport, and have basically nothing to show for it. There are still very few reasons for anyone to go there, it will be a ghost town within a couple of months, just like it was before. This would be okay, if guild halls did not exist, but they do.

Guild halls are great, but completely kill the social aspect of the game when they can do everything a city has to offer and more. If you want the cities to thrive you either need to limit what guild halls offer, or include reasons for people to want to go to cities, a pretty new city with nothing to offer over guild halls will not get people to go there.

Iad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:44 PM   #11
Peogia

Loremaster

They advertised it as Supporting flying and flying mounts ect then on release date they admitted lying and say it wont support flying because that would make it easier to do some new quests there

The flying was the only good thing that could of come from it that I wanted that and allowing us to start in our home citys again

Zone-less doesn't really help anyone unless there on a first generation p4 with 512MB-768MB-1GB ram and always get stuck zoning or having to wait 40 minutes to zone each time

The FBI is encouraging users to visit a website run by its security partner, http://www.dcwg.org , that will inform them whether they're infected and explain how to fix the problem. After July 9, infected users won't be able to connect to the Internet.
Peogia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:15 PM   #12
Lasai

Loremaster

Ok, so actually, most of your issues are OOC issues.   That's fair enough.  I was just pointing out that roleplay shouldn't be static when we "live" in a changing world.  Characters should be able to (and in some cases *have* to) adapt to their environment.

If you, as a player, don't like the changes, that's fine, everyone's got an opinion, but don't say it kills roleplay, when it clearly does the opposite, or rather gives the opportunity for character depth.  It may take away from what you as a player want to do with your character, but, and I mean no disrespect at all here, them's the breaks, sometimes-especially in a game where so many different things can and should affect your character every time you log in.

I have to vehemently disagree.  Forcibly removing open access to the suburbs while at the same time evicting every person from them removed a tremendous amount of roleplay choices and venues from the game.   These were free roam open zones with housing, of distinctly different flavor, that have been replaced by the lobby of the Jade Tiger.  If you cannot see just how much was lost in this.. roleplay wise.. then I don't know what to say.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:17 PM   #13
Michayla
Server: Najena
Guild: Valhallas Guard

Loremaster

As I recently said in another thread concerning the newbie starting isles that have been long out of our reach, taking away content is never a good thing. If SJ and the rest of the developers thought the suburbs were irrelevant, then they should've just reworked those zones, not take them away completely.

Freeport now, in my opinion, is personality-less. While the asthetics are pretty to look at, there's little else. I don't get that same feeling walking around Freeport now as I did before the revamp. Not to mention, even on my high end system, I still lag like crazy there. Even on the "newer" server hardware, and my top-of-the-line system, I am lagging. 

Too many resources poured into one tiny area. Zoneless is nice and all, but at what cost? 

Michayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:20 PM   #14
Fantasay

Loremaster

Hey at least it didn't become a giant spiral access ramp because people were too lazy to learn the lifts. I rarely go to Gorowyn anymore since they sucked the joy from it.

Fantasay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:22 PM   #15
Lasai

Loremaster

d1anaw wrote:

Actually, I look forward to Qeynos being done. I find it annoying as hell to have to zone in and out of each area. And I also think some people take a video game waaaaaay to seriously.

Ironic.  I find, myself, that people who become "annoyed as hell" at a 15 second zone in as taking travel time in a video game waaaay too seriously.

funny how that works.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:57 PM   #16
EndevorX

Loremaster

taking away the other bankers & brokers was wrong & MUST BE UNDONE, even if replacements are adjacent to where they originally were

EndevorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:17 PM   #17
Vortexelemental
Server: The Bazaar
Guild: Wherever the Wind May Blow

Loremaster

Anyone perhaps taken a video, or an official overhead video I can see of this new freeport? I admit I'm curious to how bad it is.Sounds like the entire 2 year long attempt at "spiffing" the cities up was a misguided view that anything was wrong with them in the first place.Options are the spice of life.Eventually, if you keep removing rungs on the ladder, it's just going to break.

Ah, you went and made me giggle.

There goes my sandwich.
Vortexelemental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:21 PM   #18
EndevorX

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

As I recently said in another thread concerning the newbie starting isles that have been long out of our reach, taking away content is never a good thing. If SJ and the rest of the developers thought the suburbs were irrelevant, then they should've just reworked those zones, not take them away completely.

Freeport now, in my opinion, is personality-less. While the asthetics are pretty to look at, there's little else. I don't get that same feeling walking around Freeport now as I did before the revamp. Not to mention, even on my high end system, I still lag like crazy there. Even on the "newer" server hardware, and my top-of-the-line system, I am lagging. 

Too many resources poured into one tiny area. Zoneless is nice and all, but at what cost? 

tis a mournful occasion indeed, that the municpalities couldnt be included :

EndevorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:28 PM   #19
Michayla
Server: Najena
Guild: Valhallas Guard

Loremaster

Furthermore, I wonder if it ever occurred to the devs to just combine North/South/East/West Freeport into one cluster-you-know-what of a zone and leave the suburbs the way they were.

Would that have been so terrible? Seems like a win/win to me.

Michayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:33 PM   #20
Peogia

Loremaster

[email protected] Bazaar wrote:

Anyone perhaps taken a video, or an official overhead video I can see of this new freeport? I admit I'm curious to how bad it is.Sounds like the entire 2 year long attempt at "spiffing" the cities up was a misguided view that anything was wrong with them in the first place.Options are the spice of life.Eventually, if you keep removing rungs on the ladder, it's just going to break.

No better way to see it then login and view it for your self

http://launch.soe.com/installer/EQ2_setup.exe

The FBI is encouraging users to visit a website run by its security partner, http://www.dcwg.org , that will inform them whether they're infected and explain how to fix the problem. After July 9, infected users won't be able to connect to the Internet.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:45 PM   #21
Rainmare
Server: Oasis
Guild: Pillage

Loremaster

Peogia wrote:

They advertised it as Supporting flying and flying mounts ect then on release date they admitted lying and say it wont support flying because that would make it easier to do some new quests there

The flying was the only good thing that could of come from it that I wanted that and allowing us to start in our home citys again

Zone-less doesn't really help anyone unless there on a first generation p4 with 512MB-768MB-1GB ram and always get stuck zoning or having to wait 40 minutes to zone each time

Flying was entirely Smoke. He said at fanfaire there would be flying, and the zone designers took him to task on it. he's admited that several times in the webcasts. He basically was putting the cart before the horse when he said that there would be flying.

But, they DID try it. and they found that even the best machines basically either froze up, or crashed, when they did add flying, so they obviously opted not to do it.

Rainmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:00 PM   #22
S_M_I_T_E

Loremaster

Peogia wrote:

That's the only downside of the new Freeport in my book.  They decided last minute to NOT let us fly.  Who cares if we can fly.  I'm certain it's just 'toggleable' per zone.  If enough of us say we got jipped they'll turn it on and if they're worried about obscuring the view during executions they can just have a no-fly zone in the stands so no ogre on a flying mount blocks the view.

The more polished run around the quests in the hovels with heavy flavor is only good.  The regular executions that should have always been there are there now.  I only see advantages in the new Freeport. 

S_M_I_T_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:02 PM   #23
The_Cheeseman

Loremaster

I personally love the new Freeport, and I know plenty of people who agree with me. It may not be to your personal tastes, but trying to claim that it is objectively bad is simply dishonest. I like it a lot better than the old version, and I am looking forward to seeing the same level of quality applied to Qeynos sometime in the coming year. Sorry you don't like it, but there are plenty of people who do, and not everything in the game can please everybody.

I would also like to see what data you're referencing when you talk about the supposedly massive increase in polycount in the new Freeport geometry. I highly doubt it's any higher than other modern EQ2 zone. My PC is old as the hills, and I don't have any problem with the new Freeport zone.

Old 12-11-2011, 04:03 PM   #24
Bipolar

Loremaster

i miss Big Bend.

Old 12-11-2011, 04:05 PM   #25
Buneary

Loremaster

all they need to do is put old Freeport back in (the Freeport BEFORE the SF's event where Lucan got kidnapped and his citidel blew) and give us the choice whether or not to zone there or the new Freeport, when zoning in from outside.

the new Freeport is terrible. used to like being in FP, not so much now, and avoid going there (used to be like my favorite city...).

SoE is just ripping all the original "feel" of the game out. Qeynos is next... then what? is EQ2 gonna get the "cataclysm treatment" and they are gonna re-do the whole shattered lands? really, ruin this game some more...

Buneary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:06 PM   #26
The_Cheeseman

Loremaster

S_M_I_T_E wrote:

Peogia wrote:

That's the only downside of the new Freeport in my book.  They decided last minute to NOT let us fly.  Who cares if we can fly.  I'm certain it's just 'toggleable' per zone.  If enough of us say we got jipped they'll turn it on and if they're worried about obscuring the view during executions they can just have a no-fly zone in the stands so no ogre on a flying mount blocks the view.

The more polished run around the quests in the hovels with heavy flavor is only good.  The regular executions that should have always been there are there now.  I only see advantages in the new Freeport. 

As was mentioned above, they were unable to implement flying in Freeport because there were so many objects and NPCs viewable from above that performance tanked on even the most modern computers. If they were to turn it on, we'd have tons of complaints about how people would be crashing constantly when trying to fly around Freeport, and that's not good for anybody. Disabling flight was not some cruel plan to make fetch quests more time consuming, it was entirely for technical performance purposes.

Old 12-11-2011, 04:25 PM   #27
Enica
Server: Everfrost
Guild: Casual Alliance

Loremaster

The_Cheeseman wrote:

I personally love the new Freeport, and I know plenty of people who agree with me. It may not be to your personal tastes, but trying to claim that it is objectively bad is simply dishonest. I like it a lot better than the old version, and I am looking forward to seeing the same level of quality applied to Qeynos sometime in the coming year. Sorry you don't like it, but there are plenty of people who do, and not everything in the game can please everybody.

I would also like to see what data you're referencing when you talk about the supposedly massive increase in polycount in the new Freeport geometry. I highly doubt it's any higher than other modern EQ2 zone. My PC is old as the hills, and I don't have any problem with the new Freeport zone.

I'm with you. I also love it. Most of my characters are evil and even though we don't start in FP anymore, I move most of them there as soon as I can. But I never move them into the suburbs because for me, the suburbs were horrible, dirty places that I never wanted to be in. They either lived in an inn or if they could afford it, one of the nicer houses.

I love not having to zone anymore, I like the new look of the place, and I see no problem with removing shops that haven't been used by anyone since the game launched.

Like was already stated, Norrath is a changing world. This isn't the EQ2 of 2004 and I'm glad to see that it's always evolving.

Enica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:29 PM   #28
Peogia

Loremaster

The_Cheeseman wrote:

S_M_I_T_E wrote:

Peogia wrote:

As was mentioned above, they were unable to implement flying in Freeport because there were so many objects and NPCs viewable from above that performance tanked on even the most modern computers. If they were to turn it on, we'd have tons of complaints about how people would be crashing constantly when trying to fly around Freeport, and that's not good for anybody. Disabling flight was not some cruel plan to make fetch quests more time consuming, it was entirely for technical performance purposes.

Sounds exactly like Sentinels of fate and Public quests ect, turn on flying already

Old 12-11-2011, 04:29 PM   #29
Riftsburn

Tester

Lasai wrote:

I have to vehemently disagree.  Forcibly removing open access to the suburbs while at the same time evicting every person from them removed a tremendous amount of roleplay choices and venues from the game.   These were free roam open zones with housing, of distinctly different flavor, that have been replaced by the lobby of the Jade Tiger.  If you cannot see just how much was lost in this.. roleplay wise.. then I don't know what to say.

I can see how much was *changed*, which is my point.  These changes are great for my character's development.  She's mad about being tossed out of the Bloodhaze so it could be torn down, so she moved right the heck out of the Jade Tiger. Sure she has to pay a little more now (and she gripes about it), but she also isn't gonna take it up with the Overlord, so there we are.

I was trying to show that it's not all downside for folks who were attached to the hoods, but it's up to you whether roleplaying in a fluid changing world is your cup of tea.  I like it, as I said before, it gives me options for depth in my character, but your gameplay may differ.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:07 PM   #30
yohann koldheart

Loremaster

Lasai wrote:

So, Freeport is zoneless at the cost of massive lag.

not sure what lag your talking about,  im on a 2 year old system and have not seen less then 45fps will running the quest lines.

yohann koldheart is offline   Reply With Quote