EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Scout's Den > Ranger
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-06-2009, 03:11 PM   #1
Dolgan

Lorekeeper

I have ACT and think I have aa timing pretty much down. 

Health8,593Cold Resist4,044
Power7,670Heat Resist5,094
Strength635Poison Resist3,077
Agility652Disease Resist2,832
Stamina459Magic Resist4,852
Intelligence304Divine Resist1,792
Wisdom62Mental Resist10,780
Attack1,624

Using Seb croaking dirk and Ranger's blade of hardened lava also Mythicaled.

running Caustic, Tugur and Enfeeble poisons with Regimental Elixir of combat.

AAs: Agi 4-8-8-8-1 / Int 4-4-6-8-1 / STR What setup would you use for this stat?  Would you put more into melee crit vs straight str?  Does Melee crit matter that much if we don't melee aa?

Almost almost no VP set gear.  Some gear I have has the +4 Traitor's hood or +5 RC Steel Coiled Shoulders and Imbuned Chainmail greaves.  Would you get the Maurader's void shoulders in place of Steel Coiled Shoulders?  5% base damage to CA vs RC....  Str imbuned MC ring or Void rings?  STR vs the RC/RDA?  Are there any itmes that speed up reuse timers?  I often find in raid they pulls are so fast not all my CAs are up and then the recast of Honed and Feral is so long that I sometimes don't even get a chance to get them off on a mob.  Normal?  Do you use them when they are up or do you save them for bigger mobs?  Do you use feral and honed together or space them out?

Any help would be appreciated.  I see some peeps posting 13k parses and have yet to dream that.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:56 AM   #2
Ranja

Loremaster

Dolgan wrote:

Attack1,624

AAs: Agi 4-8-8-8-1 / Int 4-4-6-8-1 / STR What setup would you use for this stat? Would you put more into melee crit vs straight str? Does Melee crit matter that much if we don't melee aa?

Almost almost no VP set gear. Some gear I have has the +4 Traitor's hood or +5 RC Steel Coiled Shoulders and Imbuned Chainmail greaves. Would you get the Maurader's void shoulders in place of Steel Coiled Shoulders? 5% base damage to CA vs RC.... Str imbuned MC ring or Void rings? STR vs the RC/RDA? Are there any itmes that speed up reuse timers? I often find in raid they pulls are so fast not all my CAs are up and then the recast of Honed and Feral is so long that I sometimes don't even get a chance to get them off on a mob. Normal? Do you use them when they are up or do you save them for bigger mobs? Do you use feral and honed together or space them out?

Any help would be appreciated. I see some peeps posting 13k parses and have yet to dream that.

Just to clarify - you have your Mythical? Not the Fabled version. Just checking b/c you say you have no VP gear and are still using t2 RoK gear. The only way you are gonna see high parses 6k+ is with your mythical. Let's get that out of the way now

Answer your questions. In TSO, most rangers dropped intox and picked up perfectionist. Alot of group encounters in RoK. Never put points into a stat. It is a waste of points imo. Put 4 into str and max out melee crits especially since we now have crit multipliers for all of our melee arts. Melee crit matters even more for us now in TSO.

I chose maruaders over coiled. 3RDA >5RC plus they have str and the empowered arts. Much better choice.

Str imbued ring is a must for rangers. Personally, I am just going to use the trueshot jewlery (wrist, ear, cloak). This is the infused jewerlyt (t2).

Not much speeds up re-use. The RE2 cloak, ring of four winds (TFD) some other maybe I am forgettting.

I only used honed and feral on named fights. Boith of those buffs put me over the cap respectively so the benefit I get from them is minimal. Honed will put my haste up around 250 with is a waste and feral puts my DPS up around 180.

EDIT: looking at your stats there is no way you can have your mythical. I will take that as a mistype. Also, use the Voracious Shield of Striking instead of the blade. The blade has no str on it and your str is way way way too low for a 80 ranger. I am 900 str 500 agi. You want your str to be around 800 solo.

Thoghmor, 70 Troll Bruiser

Rotir, 90 Dark Elf Swash

Terrano, 82 Dark Elf Dirge

Aymon, 90, Barbarian Shadowknight

The Destroyer of Worlds:

http://s7.gladiatus.com/game/c.php?uid=84341
Ranja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:07 PM   #3
Zizzu
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Veeshans Fury

Loremaster

Dolgan wrote:

Attack1,624

AAs: Agi 4-8-8-8-1 / Int 4-4-6-8-1 / STR What setup would you use for this stat?  Would you put more into melee crit vs straight str?  Does Melee crit matter that much if we don't melee aa?

Almost almost no VP set gear.  Some gear I have has the +4 Traitor's hood or +5 RC Steel Coiled Shoulders and Imbuned Chainmail greaves.  Would you get the Maurader's void shoulders in place of Steel Coiled Shoulders?  5% base damage to CA vs RC....  Str imbuned MC ring or Void rings?  STR vs the RC/RDA?  Are there any itmes that speed up reuse timers?  I often find in raid they pulls are so fast not all my CAs are up and then the recast of Honed and Feral is so long that I sometimes don't even get a chance to get them off on a mob.  Normal?  Do you use them when they are up or do you save them for bigger mobs?  Do you use feral and honed together or space them out?

Any help would be appreciated.  I see some peeps posting 13k parses and have yet to dream that.

Keep in mind that most of the high end rangers already have there RC and probably RDA capped in a raid setting. Therefore, they are looking elsewhere to achieve +10k parses (like proc gear for example).

Old 01-07-2009, 03:06 PM   #4
Dolgan

Lorekeeper

I got my mythical 2 days ago.  I was raiding on my templar and was able to purchase items for my Ranger as an alt.  In YIS i parsed 5.5k with spikes over 6k.  That is about it.  So you think I should forget about the void armor ring?  Is that becausee of the proc on the str increasing agi and str, dps and such?

Picked up a blade in YIS off strange stalker that had 100 rating and +str, +pwr, +rc +rda.  Replaced the Ranger blade with that.  My profile (Mendle.Befallen) is open on the players site so if you can look at it and tell me what to replace that would be great.  Gonna get the gloves replaced with the void stuff, and also got the trueshot bangle.  WIll work on the shoulders.  Need more shards.  which would be better the t1 shoulders and other stuff or save up a bunch and get the t2 shoulders with no more other stuff.  I feel it would be better to get the lower cost first and then other items.

I figured my timing and combat was not really the issue but my gear was and it appears to be that way judging from everything I see here.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:31 PM   #5
Ranja

Loremaster

Dolgan wrote:

I got my mythical 2 days ago. I was raiding on my templar and was able to purchase items for my Ranger as an alt. In YIS i parsed 5.5k with spikes over 6k. That is about it. So you think I should forget about the void armor ring? Is that becausee of the proc on the str increasing agi and str, dps and such?

Picked up a blade in YIS off strange stalker that had 100 rating and +str, +pwr, +rc +rda. Replaced the Ranger blade with that. My profile (Mendle.Befallen) is open on the players site so if you can look at it and tell me what to replace that would be great. Gonna get the gloves replaced with the void stuff, and also got the trueshot bangle. WIll work on the shoulders. Need more shards. which would be better the t1 shoulders and other stuff or save up a bunch and get the t2 shoulders with no more other stuff. I feel it would be better to get the lower cost first and then other items.

I figured my timing and combat was not really the issue but my gear was and it appears to be that way judging from everything I see here.

For void shard gear: Gloves, Boots Shoulders

RoK Patters: Legs, BP and Helm

Hellfire Armguards for bracers

The t1 jewelry sucks but t2 like I said the trueshot gear is pretty good.

The Str imbued is a good ring for rangers and not much out there that can replace it. I use it along with the proc ring from SoH ( i forget what it is called).

If you are raiding, TSO go with the t2 although it is not an upgrade for rangers just gets you the critical mitigation. I am not gonna upgrade until I see myself wiping in TSO raids to AoEs. Until we get to that point, I will joust the AoEs and stick with the t1 armor

Right now your biggest most glaring deficiency is your utter lack of str. Get on that strengthSMILEY Get it to 800-900 solo and then start working on RC and RDA which should both be over 60 solo as well. So in raid, they are both near 100

Rotir, 90 Dark Elf Swash

The Destroyer of Worlds:

Old 01-07-2009, 03:40 PM   #6
Dolgan

Lorekeeper

I am using the trooper scale boots for the adreniline boost.  gives proc for ranged bonuses.  Thinking of staying with that for the procs.  gonna be adding str adornments to all items I can.  DPS and SPD to the others.

http://eq2players.station.sony.com/...terId=415465201

Old 01-07-2009, 04:37 PM   #7
Ranja

Loremaster

Dolgan wrote:

I am using the trooper scale boots for the adreniline boost. gives proc for ranged bonuses. Thinking of staying with that for the procs. gonna be adding str adornments to all items I can. DPS and SPD to the others.

http://eq2players.station.sony.com/...terId=415465201

The void boots are better. Perma 3 RDA is better than a proc. Plus they also have more str.

Rotir, 90 Dark Elf Swash

The Destroyer of Worlds:

Old 01-07-2009, 05:34 PM   #8
EQ2Magroo

Loremaster

For DPS, then for basic stats you're going to want to concentrate on STR + INT, the others don't matter.

However, what's equally important are your DPS Mod, Haste, Ranged Crit, or Ranged Double Attack stats.

I would say you should be looking at the following stats *solo* buffed for any TSO Ranger:

STR - 900+

INT - 350+

DPS Mod - 30+

Haste - 80+

RC - 55+

RDA - 30+

Then make sure you get in a group to buff your RDA (IA is good for this) and anything you can get to buff your DPS Mod and STR stats, and then you should be getting good parses.

For reference, what sort of DPS figures are you getting ?

EQ2Magroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:56 PM   #9
dbmoreland

Loremaster

Dolgan wrote:

I got my mythical 2 days ago.  I was raiding on my templar and was able to purchase items for my Ranger as an alt.  In YIS i parsed 5.5k with spikes over 6k.  That is about it.  So you think I should forget about the void armor ring?  Is that becausee of the proc on the str increasing agi and str, dps and such?

Picked up a blade in YIS off strange stalker that had 100 rating and +str, +pwr, +rc +rda.  Replaced the Ranger blade with that.  My profile (Mendle.Befallen) is open on the players site so if you can look at it and tell me what to replace that would be great.  Gonna get the gloves replaced with the void stuff, and also got the trueshot bangle.  WIll work on the shoulders.  Need more shards.  which would be better the t1 shoulders and other stuff or save up a bunch and get the t2 shoulders with no more other stuff.  I feel it would be better to get the lower cost first and then other items.

If you did 5.5K zone wide in YIS with individual fights over 6K then you are doing just fine with what you have. The only way you are ever going to see 13K is if you have the absolute best gear in the game playing with 23 others that also have the absolute best gear in the game, i.e. the top 5 or so guilds in the game. The rest of us will have to "settle" for 6K.

As for were you want each stat, Magroo's list is a good reference

dbmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:34 PM   #10
Dolgan

Lorekeeper

[email protected] wrote:

If you did 5.5K zone wide in YIS with individual fights over 6K then you are doing just fine with what you have. The only way you are ever going to see 13K is if you have the absolute best gear in the game playing with 23 others that also have the absolute best gear in the game, i.e. the top 5 or so guilds in the game. The rest of us will have to "settle" for 6K.

Well it wasn't enough to get me voted out of the 2nd best guild on this server.  My 2 week recruitment came up after I got my mythical and was voted out for lack of dps.  Expound pls on Magroo's list.  IS that a website?  I want to be able to parse at least higher solo or grouped to show improvement to them and be allowed back in.  So I guess I am gonna have to DD and quest away to get the void armor.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:39 PM   #11
Rasttan
Server: Unrest

Loremaster

Trash in YIS only 5 ykesh patrolmenMendle 1361654 | 98.55 | 4435.36

Trash in Hate same nightAll: (36:56) 177156349 Mendle 7787009 | 97.73 | 3513.99

He is a good guy some one help him out

Rasttan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:15 PM   #12
Dolgan

Lorekeeper

I must have my parser set up wrong then.  I am not disputing you claim rasttan just need to know how to set mine up right.  Cuz now I am showing inflated numbers and might be turning away help.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:30 AM   #13
Nevao

Loremaster

Are you looking at DSP or Ext DSP? That could easily explain the difference and is an easy mistake to make.

Cibilie : 90 Brigand (Main), Dirtnap on Oasis

Enaki : 90 Ranger, Dirtnap on Oasis

Nevao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:36 AM   #14
Dolgan

Lorekeeper

ahh okay got it.  still my numbers seem to be off from rasttan's.  Lower even.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:46 AM   #15
EQ2Magroo

Loremaster

You need to post your DPS, Haste, RC and RDA values for us to see if there's a problem. A screenshot of your ACT parse would be cool too.

Also, can you post your actual auto-attack min-max range using /weapon command ?

The group make-up makes a big difference for Rangers, you can be the best Ranger in the world but with a bad group you're not going to achieve your full potential.

For example, I can hit a group instance and pull out all the stops and get 2.5K ZW. Go back the next day and do the same thing and get 3.5k-4k without breaking a sweat. The difference is the other people in the group using the right group buffs and debuffing the mob (very important).

Those Rangers getting 10k+ parses have the best gear and know how to maximize their DPS, but also have a raid full of other players who know exactly the same thing.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:40 AM   #16
Darow

Lord

Ranja wrote:

The void boots are better. Perma 3 RDA is better than a proc. Plus they also have more str.

Just a quick aside, im trying to figure out at what point does a perma RDA boost and an RDA proc equal each other.  For example, I currently have the culinary apprentice coat (perma +2RDA), but considering void chest (proc - 6% RDA t1, 8% RDA t2).

EQ2Magroo wrote:

...you should be looking at the following stats *solo*...Haste - 80+...

See I was under the impression you should be going for around 35-45 haste, as any more than that leads to the haste buff on FA being wasted since you are beyond the point of diminishing returns and at the 4.0 sec weapon delay cap.

Finally, how feasible is it to get to 60+ RC and RDA if not raid equipped; or more specifically, if not able to get raid gear what are some ballpark RC and RDA I can expect?  I don't have the playtime to anything but PUG raids, but would like to maximize my DPS for groups.

Darow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:01 PM   #17
Ranja

Loremaster

Darow wrote:

Ranja wrote:

Just a quick aside, im trying to figure out at what point does a perma RDA boost and an RDA proc equal each other. For example, I currently have the culinary apprentice coat (perma +2RDA), but considering void chest (proc - 6% RDA t1, 8% RDA t2).

EQ2Magroo wrote:

See I was under the impression you should be going for around 35-45 haste, as any more than that leads to the haste buff on FA being wasted since you are beyond the point of diminishing returns and at the 4.0 sec weapon delay cap.

Finally, how feasible is it to get to 60+ RC and RDA if not raid equipped; or more specifically, if not able to get raid gear what are some ballpark RC and RDA I can expect? I don't have the playtime to anything but PUG raids, but would like to maximize my DPS for groups.

FA is used for the crits and the DPS boost not the haste portion. you want to be hasted around 80 solo so your delay is always around 5 on your bow. Who cares if you go over the cap for 10 seconds that give you 100% crit and nice DPS boost.

Rotir, 90 Dark Elf Swash

The Destroyer of Worlds:

Old 01-08-2009, 12:05 PM   #18
ChodeNode1

Loremaster

What class has what group buff that increases RDA? I want to make sure that I get it when I'm running instances and such.

That's interesting about weapon speed being capped at 4 seconds. I didn't know that.

ChodeNode1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:30 PM   #19
Nevao

Loremaster

Darow wrote:

EQ2Magroo wrote:

Finally, how feasible is it to get to 60+ RC and RDA if not raid equipped; or more specifically, if not able to get raid gear what are some ballpark RC and RDA I can expect?  I don't have the playtime to anything but PUG raids, but would like to maximize my DPS for groups.

RCA at 60 and RDA at 30 is definitely feasible. My ranger just hit 80 before the holidays and I'm just shy of those numbers (or will be when I get my fabled epic in the next few weeks). I still have several pieces of Void Shard armor to get and my jewelry is still a mix of Legendary/Treasured (though almost all of it has + crit of some kind on it). Off that list the hardest thing I'm seeing to hit for me personally is the INT, the rest I'm near or at least know what gear I need to get to hit it. I'll post my profile later when I get back from my next meeting.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:31 PM   #20
Nevao

Loremaster

ChodeNode1 wrote:

What class has what group buff that increases RDA? I want to make sure that I get it when I'm running instances and such.

That's interesting about weapon speed being capped at 4 seconds. I didn't know that.

Bards and Illy's but both are through AA's so your milage may very (though both are pretty much standard configs).

Old 01-08-2009, 01:15 PM   #21
Darow

Lord

Ranja wrote:

FA is used for the crits and the DPS boost not the haste portion. you want to be hasted around 80 solo so your delay is always around 5 on your bow. Who cares if you go over the cap for 10 seconds that give you 100% crit and nice DPS boost.

Ah, makes sense, thank you Ranja -- I guess I was putting too much emphasis on the haste portion of it.  

Nevao wrote:

RCA at 60 and RDA at 30 is definitely feasible. My ranger just hit 80 before the holidays and I'm just shy of those numbers (or will be when I get my fabled epic in the next few weeks). I still have several pieces of Void Shard armor to get and my jewelry is still a mix of Legendary/Treasured (though almost all of it has + crit of some kind on it). Off that list the hardest thing I'm seeing to hit for me personally is the INT, the rest I'm near or at least know what gear I need to get to hit it. I'll post my profile later when I get back from my next meeting.

Ok RCA 60 and RDA 30 is kind of what I expected.  Im sitting at roughly RCA 40 and RDA 20 with my fabled epic, but still have some work to do on t2 void armor and jewlery.  Infact I am always open to, and would greatly appreciate, any tips on non-raid gear I should be shooting for by reply or PM.  Anyways, thanks for the input.

Darow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:43 PM   #22
EQ2Magroo

Loremaster

From memory I think I'm always at the following stats when solo buffed:

STR - 927

INT - 370 (ish)

Haste - 81

DPS - 34

RC - 51%

RDA - 31%

I use temporary adornments and potions though to increase those numbers, specifically the DPS (+15 to give 49) and the RDA (+5 to give 36%). If I'm feeling extravagent I'll also throw in a Halasian Ice Brew as my drink.

DPS and RC also get increased by the two buff CAs.

I don't have any raid gear or tier 2 void armor. Everything is quested, instance drops, or tier 1 void armor. Actually I have just upgraded to a piece of t2 jewelry, but that was "only" 13 shards anyway so should easily be in reach of most Rangers. Click on my sig to see my EQ2Players profile which should show you the gear I have.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:09 PM   #23
dbmoreland

Loremaster

Dolgan wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Well it wasn't enough to get me voted out of the 2nd best guild on this server.  My 2 week recruitment came up after I got my mythical and was voted out for lack of dps.  Expound pls on Magroo's list.  IS that a website?  I want to be able to parse at least higher solo or grouped to show improvement to them and be allowed back in.  So I guess I am gonna have to DD and quest away to get the void armor.

Ok so you are aiming to be one of the top 2-3 rangers on your entire server. Good luck with that. You are already way ahead of 95% of the rest of us. The list I was referring to was in the post by Adeyia above, where he listed the target value for each stat. In order to top 10K add 20 to each one.

I assume you have all of your CAs at Master I. I assume you are using the very best of every single temp buff item in the game, including food, drink, poisons, oilstones, potions, etc. I assume you are timing your CAs perfectly in relation to each other, including the best use of Focus Aim, Honed Reflexes and Killing Instinct.

You do need to improve your gear. You are in direct competition with the Rangers and other top dps classes that have been raiding RoK for a year now and have a complete set of VP armor. You cannot expect to compete with them unless you have something similar. You need at least a full set of T2 Void Shard armor or the better drops from the hardest TSO instances. The same with your jewelry, you need much better stuff. The problem is that you typically need a top guild to get this top stuff, so it is somewhat of a catch 22 when it comes to someone trying to “break in” now.

One last thing is what some others have said. Rangers are very dependent on everyone else in the raid in how much DPS they can do. If they are getting exactly the right/best buffs at exactly the right/best time their DPS can skyrocket without the ranger doing anything different themselves. If I am in the “short bus” group (no illy, no dirge) and therefore I am getting no RDA, Haste, DPS or RC buffs, my DPS can be 1000 pts lower than if I am in a group with an illy and dirge getting these buffs at M1/2. Also are you timing your CAs, and are they timing theirs so that you are getting the most use out of them? Are you waiting for the mob to be fully debuffed before you use Focus Aim (and all of your other ranged CAs)? Are they getting jesters cap on you right after Focus Aim (and all of your other ranged CAs) go down? There is a reason there are only 2-3 top rangers on each server. They are the ones that are playing with the 50 other top players on each server. And most of them have been doing it for 4 years now.

dbmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:17 PM   #24
Dolgan

Lorekeeper

Thank you so much for the info.  I will try to post screenshots of what you requested.  I was raiding with my templar but I hate feeling like my Ranger is shelved.  I got a chance to get into a raiding guild with him and took it.  No of course I realize my lack of dps or even raiding with him at all since ROK/TSO cam out hurt.  I will post this stuff tonight when I get home from work.

Also I am going to get my templar to craft my ranger the gloves, boots and shoulders from the t1 void set.  I figured the 3 pieces of armor would be better than 1 piece of jewelry at this point.  Should I replace the legs and chest?  Or keep one of the others (ie boots) to replace legs/chest?

Old 01-09-2009, 04:07 PM   #25
Venez
Server: Unrest
Guild: Vendetta

Loremaster

Hi Mendle, give me a tell in game if you would like, I can probably get you on the right track. Friday is a off night so anytime should be ok.