EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

 

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Fighter's Arena > Guardian
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2006, 06:58 AM   #1
Fierc

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7
Default

So, i realize Guardians arent gona be the pick of the litter in pvp. However i am curious to all of u Raiding Guardians with mostly fabled gear, how well do u do in duels? Thought maybe some of u uber MTs may have some comments etc, plz post cuz i am very curious SMILEY
Fierc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 08:35 AM   #2
Wabit

Loremaster
Wabit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 802
Default


Fierce1 wrote:So, i realize Guardians arent gona be the pick of the litter in pvp. However i am curious to all of u Raiding Guardians with mostly fabled gear, how well do u do in duels? Thought maybe some of u uber MTs may have some comments etc, plz post cuz i am very curious SMILEY

i don't even bother...  think i've dueled like 3 times ever, and that was just to show an assassian he couldn't assassinate me...  and a wizzy he couldn't kill me with icecomet...

no dps or heals makes killing anyone rather hard...  hell i can barely chew through a palys wards to get at his HP...

__________________
Wabit- 80 guardian

Trixr- 70 carpenter - Oasis (part time Warden)

Thoog- 80 monk - Oasis
Wabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 10:46 AM   #3
stelle

 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 77
Default

i could maybe see us in a PVP server 6 man group
 
ive been thinking about it for awhile , i think the pvp servers will be a ton of 6 vs 6 and if you can get good run speed you can theoreticly plant most of thier melee dps to you so they cant get to the casters and healers
 
basically my dream 6 man team is....
 
coercer(or troubadour), brigand, fury, defiler, guardian, warlock
stelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 06:12 PM   #4
chadawok

General
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 41
Default

tbh Guardians along with other tank classes are going to be quite useful in pvp Groups, as they are changing taunts in duels/pvp to keep the aggro on the guard/tank, so this will help the mages/scouts kill them quicker and with the guardian def buffs and there ally defence and all the taunts i'd say they'd be wanted abit more
chadawok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 11:54 PM   #5
Pry

 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 408
Default

I laughed so hard, I think I broke a window!
Pry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 05:53 AM   #6
Crim001

Loremaster
Crim001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere in So Cal
Posts: 305
Default


chadawokie wrote:
tbh Guardians along with other tank classes are going to be quite useful in pvp Groups, as they are changing taunts in duels/pvp to keep the aggro on the guard/tank, so this will help the mages/scouts kill them quicker and with the guardian def buffs and there ally defence and all the taunts i'd say they'd be wanted abit more

Whew.....this brightened my day SMILEY.
__________________
Crim001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:50 AM   #7
JNewby

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 644
Default


Fierce1 wrote:So, i realize Guardians arent gona be the pick of the litter in pvp. However i am curious to all of u Raiding Guardians with mostly fabled gear, how well do u do in duels? Thought maybe some of u uber MTs may have some comments etc, plz post cuz i am very curious SMILEY

I have all fabled gear and I lose big time to a zerker with no fableds all legendary and lost to a templar with fableds.. and almost beat a ranger with half fabled

 

JNewby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 09:33 AM   #8
Nyven

Loremaster
Nyven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 44
Default

I'm planning on playing a guard on the new pvp server, so I've kinda been browsing around seeing what other people say they are playing.  I'm pretty sure that guardian will actually be one of the rarer classes on that server, as I can't seem to find anyone saying they are going to play one and the beta accounts I've read about say nothing about the class.
__________________
Nyven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 02:16 AM   #9
Pry

 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 408
Default


Nyven wrote:I'm planning on playing a guard on the new pvp server, so I've kinda been browsing around seeing what other people say they are playing.  I'm pretty sure that guardian will actually be one of the rarer classes on that server, as I can't seem to find anyone saying they are going to play one and the beta accounts I've read about say nothing about the class.

You think that there just might be a reason that nobody is playing them on PvP server?  In the world of PvP they suck more than a black hole in the middle of outer space?  Nah, that can't be the reason, they must have some kind of hidden talent that nobody is seeing and it will be a diamond in the rough!

SOE doesn't want Guardians anywhere, so they are going to do whatever they can to make you switch classes.  Be that making you [Removed for Content] in PvP, letting you switch to berserker, nerfing you so that your Superman is now Robin.   I told you all this 6 months ago, but few believed it.   When you build a game around what you (the developer) likes to do, and what you like to play *cough*bruiser*cough* then don't expect there to be any kind of customer focus.

I don't like to slam on anyone's work, but let's face it, this is the worst developed game on the market with the worst combat system, worst rewards for the most time put in.  It's like eating a poo sandwich, and to top of it all off they instead of addressing anything, they hire this kiss-butt lackey army to make sure that they don't have to fix anything that may make their bruisers less simple to play.  It's a shock to me that anyone still plays this game.  Really.

Pry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 06:38 PM   #10
Splintered

Loremaster
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 344
Default

Dispite whether what you say is true or not (which I don't believe it is). You have almost 700 post and I'm guessing you don't play the game anymore, so why troll the boards?
__________________
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Splintered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 08:00 PM   #11
Fuury

Loremaster
Fuury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 42
Default

You have to love people that "HATE" the game and still come to the boards to [expletive haxx0red by Raijinn].  Go find another game and another board to go troll on.   Maybe...just maybe...there ARE people that like the game and don't gives a RATS [Removed for Content] that you think the game stinks.

And for the posters question, play what you want, if it doesn't work out then try another class, it is only a game.

Fuury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 09:47 AM   #12
Crim001

Loremaster
Crim001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere in So Cal
Posts: 305
Default


Caleum123 wrote:
Dispite whether what you say is true or not (which I don't believe it is). You have almost 700 post and I'm guessing you don't play the game anymore, so why troll the boards?
I thought you had to have an active account in order to post though?
__________________
Crim001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 06:24 PM   #13
Pry

 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 408
Default


Fuury wrote:

You have to love people that "HATE" the game and still come to the boards to [expletive haxx0red by Raijinn].  Go find another game and another board to go troll on.   Maybe...just maybe...there ARE people that like the game and don't gives a RATS [Removed for Content] that you think the game stinks.

And for the posters question, play what you want, if it doesn't work out then try another class, it is only a game.


I don't give a rats [Removed for Content] that you like it.  Who are you?  A troll by definition is someone like you with 8 posts who pops into forums to make idiotic posts like this.  I have hundreds, in which 99% of them are in this forum, so I hardly qualify as a troll.  Please drive through, k tks bye.

Furthermore, yes you do have to have an account, yes I do have an active character on a recently moved server, and like I have said many times before I will continue to post until I feel that a) my Guardian is sufficiently playable by my standard, or b) I no longer feel the need to throw $21 USD at games I don't really want to play anymore. 

Pry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 06:35 PM   #14
Pry

 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 408
Default

Now, back to the original question:

Guardians, easily ganked in PvP make for low Guardian population on PvP servers.

OR

Guardians, so complicated to play that nobody chooses them, but they're filled with hidden untapped talents if someone is bright enough to figure them out.

Which answer seems more plausable?

Pry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 04:01 AM   #15
Uumuuanu

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 355
Default


Prynn wrote:

 

Guardians, so complicated to play that nobody chooses them, but they're filled with hidden untapped talents if someone is bright enough to figure them out.

Which answer seems more plausable?


 

This one honestly.    I am certainly not  SOE fanboi,  actually most of what they have done since the start of the game has been completely useless to guardians and even completley hurtful.

However,  having been able to duel now for a while,  there are alot of secrets to learn to doing PvP with a guardian.  Over all, are we on the top of the PVP chain, no, we never will be, that relies 100% on DPS .   However in raw dueling,  guardians can do quite well.   I have gone head to head with numerous classes and taken them down.  Yes there are some that beat us down, but if you know its coming and know how to play, its not that bad.

Now to answer the new question,  would I go make a guardian on the fresh PVP servers.  No, not a chance.

Uumuuanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 04:38 AM   #16
Shizzirri

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 440
Default

If another class gets root off on you, your screwed.
If another class snares you, your screwed.
 
I'm not going to spend and use potions for dueling its a waste of money, bottom line is people probably didn't make a guardian to pvp or duel, although beating up on a level 15 wizard sure was fun.
Shizzirri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 04:40 AM   #17
Crim001

Loremaster
Crim001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere in So Cal
Posts: 305
Default


Uumuuanu wrote:

This one honestly.    I am certainly not  SOE fanboi,  actually most of what they have done since the start of the game has been completely useless to guardians and even completley hurtful.

However,  having been able to duel now for a while,  there are alot of secrets to learn to doing PvP with a guardian.  Over all, are we on the top of the PVP chain, no, we never will be, that relies 100% on DPS .   However in raw dueling,  guardians can do quite well.   I have gone head to head with numerous classes and taken them down.  Yes there are some that beat us down, but if you know its coming and know how to play, its not that bad.

Now to answer the new question,  would I go make a guardian on the fresh PVP servers.  No, not a chance.


Only real type I can almost see myself taking down is a mage because of interrupts. Other than that, anything else can pretty much out DPS or outlast us.

Maybe I'm just stingy, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to use ToS in order to win a duel.

__________________
Crim001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 04:48 AM   #18
Uumuuanu

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 355
Default


Crim001 wrote:

Uumuuanu wrote:

This one honestly.    I am certainly not  SOE fanboi,  actually most of what they have done since the start of the game has been completely useless to guardians and even completley hurtful.

However,  having been able to duel now for a while,  there are alot of secrets to learn to doing PvP with a guardian.  Over all, are we on the top of the PVP chain, no, we never will be, that relies 100% on DPS .   However in raw dueling,  guardians can do quite well.   I have gone head to head with numerous classes and taken them down.  Yes there are some that beat us down, but if you know its coming and know how to play, its not that bad.

Now to answer the new question,  would I go make a guardian on the fresh PVP servers.  No, not a chance.


Only real type I can almost see myself taking down is a mage because of interrupts. Other than that, anything else can pretty much out DPS or outlast us.

Maybe I'm just stingy, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to use ToS in order to win a duel.


I would and do use ToS, it totally pisses of rangers and thier sniper shots.    It hillarious to see a ranger hit you with Sniper or Storm of arrows and not take one ounce of damage, they wig out because they just wasted a 15 minute timer.  

Now again, as I said, would I make or have a guardian on a live pvp server, no.

Uumuuanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 10:04 PM   #19
Griffith1026

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6
Default

I completely agree with this form

i mean yeah if i fight a Enchanter 1 on 1 with my gaurdian im going to break him into the ground because the worst im sure he would ever hit me with is a Mana drain(If i dont stun him first lol), but with no Defense or heals the Enchanters just going to take a beating

ill even be able to break any ranger or assassin , even a Wizzy if i dont get rooted lol.

buuuttttt

I think Even a Templar could take a gaurdian at PvP if hes at the same level with the best armor  , i mean that would seem like a close fight .

A pally in my opinion for pvp is best , maybe even a monk. but a gaurdian isnt really the best PvPer , with no heals or anything it wont take long before he runs out of mana using his best attacks that are getting either Warded or Resisted then becomes just a big punching bag lol.

Griffith1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 04:29 AM   #20
Crim001

Loremaster
Crim001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere in So Cal
Posts: 305
Default

Healers own vs. me in PvP period. Just for fun I dueled a mystic that was around 8-10 levels below me i think. Took me around 10 minutes to kill him the first time because he could just keep healing himself. Took some planning when he was at around 40% to win.....mainly because I couldn't drain or stun him long enough...
__________________
Crim001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 05:04 AM   #21
Death0Matic

Loremaster
Death0Matic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 42
Default

Guards in pvp aren't that good.   I'm an almost fully fabled guard with my str being 300+ in defensive stance (400+ in offence) and alway 300+ sta i still get beat down by equaly matched fighters  except by other guards.  Zekers, paly's, sk's, bruisers ( haven't fought enough monks) all kick my [expletive haxx0red by Raijinn] if they are equaly matched.  I have fought many that are only gear in handcrafted legendary and have won some of the time (maybe due to their skill) but still it is a tough fight.  All guards +'s are just their mit and sta which isn't a very useful when your against zekers, paly's, and sk's who have alot of hp and the same mit. 

Healers are a tough fight it must be very well timed to beat them.  I myself have beat a # of healers but yet to beat a defiler/mystic...i gave up on them...we don't have enough dps to break thos wards fast enough.  Caster types....only if u get the jump on them.

About the new pvp i'm not sure how we will be but if they make no changes to us then expect the same.

 

60 guard

Death0Matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 05:05 AM   #22
BoneSmasher

Loremaster
BoneSmasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 130
Default

Ok, I am going to roll a Guardian on the PvP beta tonight and check it out.  I will tell you this, the ones I have been fighting against are darn hard to kill.
 
You cannot compare dueling in the PvE servers with the PvP game in any way at all.  Dueling in the PvE game is not balanced at all.  My wife's warden killed my 60 guardian in about 40 seconds dueling.
 
Then she did the same to my son's 54 warlock. 
 
Until you play one on PvP there is not any reason too thinik they are good or bad.
 
So I will do jsut that, parse it and let you guys know.
 
Brand Cygian
60 - Guardian
Grobberfrost ( Everfrost Server)
Shattered Dawn
 

Message Edited by BoneSmasher on 02-19-200604:06 PM

__________________
BoneSmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 07:41 AM   #23
BoneSmasher

Loremaster
BoneSmasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 130
Default

Ok I rolled a 60 guardian on the Beta PvP server.  He did excellent.  Much better than I anticipated.  one on one, I killed scouts  and mages.

 Gaurdian 2 = Scouts 0

A guardian, as we all know, has a lot of hitpoints.  But I was impressed with the DPS he did against other players.

Shield stun is a must have so don't go duel wield for PvP.

I parsed it out and auto attack DPS was 114.  With CAs, I hit 384 DPS against a scout.

The scouts dealt more DPS than me, but the4 difference in mitigation and hitpoints tipped the balance in my favor, letting me win by a narrow margin each time.

So, the good news is, if you want to play a guardian, I think he did as well as my monk.  Just did it differently.

 

Brand

 

 

 

 

 

__________________
BoneSmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 08:33 AM   #24
NotGonnaUseHybr

General
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5
Default

I actually beat monks all the time, and the only scout class I have trouble with is a brig... Big debuffs.Only challenge I have is healers, and other plate tanks.Other then that I can smack em, root em and kill em.
NotGonnaUseHybr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:02 PM.

vBulletin skin by: CompleteGFX.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All threads and posts originally from the EQ2 and Station forums operated by Sony Online Entertainment. Their use is by express written permission.