EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-06-2012, 07:20 PM   #1
CoLD MeTaL

Loremaster

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...topic_id=523996

GENERAL

Memberships: There will no longer be coin limits on any account types.

They caved or is it just for BETA?

CoLD MeTaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:32 PM   #2
Tigger85

Historian

It would be a good change imo.  I'd also love to see them get rid of the slider restriction.

Tigger85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:44 PM   #3
ZUES

Loremaster

Krono - in order to purchase the krono a character would need the limit removed. Hense the change.

ZUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #4
Regolas

Loremaster

Fantastic change if it happens.
Regolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:32 PM   #5
yohann koldheart

Loremaster

CoLD MeTaL wrote:

GENERAL

since beta is open to free accounts, its most likley just for the beta server so they can test all the content.

otherwise it would be in the test update notes etc etc

yohann koldheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:53 PM   #6
SteelPiston

Loremaster

CoLD MeTaL wrote:

GENERAL

This is just plain stupid and short sighted. Who in their right mind would sub Gold any more? The biggest plus point of being a Gold subscription has just been given away. The Krono escrow account was the right way to go so that limited coin holders could save up to buy Krono. If this goes through, SOE will lose LOADZA MONEY!!!!!

Hopefully this is just for the beta test server.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:50 PM   #7
Regolas

Loremaster

I thought free players were gold access on beta anyway? The proposed solution by a poster was a good idea, but this is an easier fix that will keep f2p players playing for longer, which means more chance of getting them to buy unlockers and stuff from the market. Take away the coin restrictions and the best reason for going gold becomes the xp slider and selling on the broker, which is still 2 very useful things. But, I would not complain if either solutions were added.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:54 PM   #8
Ambrin
Server: Nagafen
Guild: Illuminati

Loremaster

SteelPiston wrote:

CoLD MeTaL wrote:

GENERAL

This is just plain stupid and short sighted. Who in their right mind would sub Gold any more? The biggest plus point of being a Gold subscription has just been given away. The Krono escrow account was the right way to go so that limited coin holders could save up to buy Krono. If this goes through, SOE will lose LOADZA MONEY!!!!!

There's also the AA slider restriction, being able to equip fabled gear/spells without buying an unlocker, monthly SC payout, monthly LoN packs, all classes/races unlocked. I may be forgetting a few things, but a gold membership is still worth it.

Ambrin - 92 Monk / 92 Tailor / 320 AA

Ambryn - 92 Dirge / 320 AA

Visjeer - 92 Necromancer

Oryn - 90 Inquisitor
Ambrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:20 AM   #9
Geothe

Loremaster

yohann koldheart wrote:

CoLD MeTaL wrote:

GENERAL

since beta is open to free accounts, its most likley just for the beta server so they can test all the content.

otherwise it would be in the test update notes etc etc

Beta defaults all accounts to GOLD on that server alone.

Smed: 5) This [LoN] is not some slippery slope towards selling items directly in EQ & EQ II.

Lie #3: Station Cash. Enough Said.

Geothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:49 AM   #10
General_Info

Lord

[email protected] wrote:

SteelPiston wrote:

There's also the AA slider restriction, being able to equip fabled gear/spells without buying an unlocker, monthly SC payout, monthly LoN packs, all classes/races unlocked. I may be forgetting a few things, but a gold membership is still worth it.

The only things you missed was monthy 3 goblin tickets, full broker access, more base charater slots, higher quest journal total, full CS cover, no pop-up adverts.

They've only removed the coin limit so they can profit more from the game through krono nothing more, they didnt do it because we asked they did it because they can profit from it long term.

Old 11-07-2012, 03:02 AM   #11
Mohee

Lord

For those that think the coin limit is the only (or primary) reason to sub, then why don't you unsub and play that way if you want to?

Geeze...

EQ'ing since 1999
Mohee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:35 AM   #12
gourdon

Loremaster

ZUES wrote:

Krono - in order to purchase the krono a character would need the limit removed. Hense the change.

It also gives them incentive to buy krono and sell them.  As it stands, a silver player can't buy big ticket items from other players or the broker due to their plat restriction.  Therefore, buying krono to sell on the broker is not viable since it would be 600+ plat that they really can't spend.  Quite frankly, I don't foresee too many silver players earning enough plat in game to buy krono when they have to pay to put items on the broker, aren't particularly viable for raiding, and can't participate in SLR.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #13
Detor

Loremaster

As others have said - the beta log in server automatically puts everything at gold level benefits, so this isn't simply to 'help test beta'.  I have to agree that business wise I'm not sure how much sense this makes.  The coin limits were the one thing a silver player couldn't buy piecemeal to get to the same level as gold.  If they wanted to hold more coin they HAD to subscribe.  What's to really stop somebody from dropping their gold account that was $15 a month, and instead going to the silver tier where they just buy item/spell/broker unlockers as needed?  Maybe they plan to increase the cost of item unlockers?

Detor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:12 AM   #14
Landiin

Loremaster

What part of its for the Krono don't you understand? It makes perfect sense business wise to make this move. If anything makes me want to take my silver alt accounts gold it is the spell/item upgrade penalties not the coin penalty.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #15
Tigger85

Historian

The purpose of the bronze accounts is to get new folks trying & playing the game for free.  It obviously needs restrictions to encourage them to upgrade to subscription status.  But some of the restrictions just strangle the fun out of these new players--the slider and the coin.  ...probably the slider moreso than the coin. 

Personally I would let the lower game be played unimpeded.  Let the little 50s toons get a taste for earning legendary & fabled items.  Let them see the difference between master & expert.  And then when they hit 80 (or 70ish), then start putting the restrictions in.

Tigger85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:11 PM   #16
Mermut

Loremaster

Tigger85 wrote:

The purpose of the bronze accounts is to get new folks trying & playing the game for free.  It obviously needs restrictions to encourage them to upgrade to subscription status.  But some of the restrictions just strangle the fun out of these new players--the slider and the coin.  ...probably the slider moreso than the coin. 

Personally I would let the lower game be played unimpeded.  Let the little 50s toons get a taste for earning legendary & fabled items.  Let them see the difference between master & expert.  And then when they hit 80 (or 70ish), then start putting the restrictions in.

I have to disagree with this... from my experience 'taking away' something that people have been able to do (ie adding restrictions in later) tends to upset them far more then having the same restriction in from day one.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:31 PM   #17
bucketon

Loremaster

legendary items aren't really a problem, item unlockers are very cheap.

The broker is the big thing left now, slider not so much its common sense to have it at 50 anyway while levelling up.

sony do need to be wary of leaving enough of a reason to be paying them a subscription though.

bucketon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:45 PM   #18
Regolas

Loremaster

The slider is a massive reason. You get to 90 with around 220AAs at 50:50 and the last 60 are a PITA without a double xp weekend.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:02 PM   #19
bucketon

Loremaster

Regolas wrote:

The slider is a massive reason. You get to 90 with around 220AAs at 50:50 and the last 60 are a PITA without a double xp weekend.

thats more about the 280 cap then the slider. Personal opinion is if you want to put a road block in, should be a large varied, soloable i guess, amount of content at that level to be able to progress.

bucketon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:34 PM   #20
Dexella

Community Relations

Hi everyone,

I just posted the official announcement here: http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?topic_id=524042

This hasn't gone live in game yet, but yes, the coin limitations are being removed. This will happen on November 13th (the day of the expansion launch).

Thanks.

~Dexella

Community Relations Manager
Dexella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:50 PM   #21
SteelPiston

Loremaster

Be prepared for the fall out. Loads of people will unsubscribe as the major benefit of a Gold sub will no longer be there. All the other things are incidental and can be bought if and when required.

The only benefit of Gold will be to block all the micro transaction popups that must be coming our way for SOE to somehow recover the lost revenue. If I am going to get those as a gold subscriber, then I'll unsubscribe.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:45 AM   #22
feldon30

Fansite Staff

SteelPiston wrote:

Be prepared for the fall out. Loads of people will unsubscribe as the major benefit of a Gold sub will no longer be there. All the other things are incidental and can be bought if and when required.

The only benefit of Gold will be to block all the micro transaction popups that must be coming our way for SOE to somehow recover the lost revenue. If I am going to get those as a gold subscriber, then I'll unsubscribe.

Explain to us please how a Silver member is supposed to amass the amount of plat needed to buy a Krono which is equal to a valid Gold subscription.

feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:29 AM   #23
Mohee

Lord

SteelPiston wrote:

Hmm lets do some quick math...

Without gold sub, in order to have all access to your bags, classes, and races, and character slots, that would be $213.50.

Then you also factor in gear (to unlock 1 peice of gear for each type of slot you have would be another $6. Most classes between 82-92 have between 25-30 spell upgrades, so for unlockers there would be about another $7.50.

So you are looking at a total of $230. That's equal to 15 months of paying for gold. I dont think many people are going to drop a $15 a month sub and turn around and spend $230 in one lump sum to get back what they had...

And if you're lucky, you are on of those people that stocked up on multiple years of Gold subscription with Triple SC events and marketplace sales and are paying about $1.50-$3 a mo. and are set for the next 2-3 years...

So are you really going to get all bent out of shape because free/silver players can carry around unlimited coin now? Well then good-bye.

There will be no fall-out. If anything we might actually get some more people trying out EQ2 since there will be 1 less restriction.

I highly doubt that people that have been subscribing for years is suddenly going to drop their sub and buy everything from the marketplace to be able to have what they had (mostly) when they were Gold.

After 8 years of EQ2, and all the changes I've seen this game make, this has got to be one of the most ridiculous things for someone to get upset about and threat quitting the game... lol

EQ'ing since 1999
Mohee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:46 AM   #24
Merodos

Journeyman

This will up the demand for Krono as more people will be buying it off the broker (because they can afford it).  Sony still receives it's monthly sub, it's just someone other than the buyer of the sub who uses it.  People with the real world cash to burn still get to buy plat, sony still gets paid, everyone walks away happy...except the plat farmers.

The End

Merodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:28 AM   #25
EternallyConfuzzled

Loremaster

SteelPiston wrote:

For many people, broker access would be a huge deal breaker for unsubscribing, unless they've removed the restriction of needing tokens to sell on silver. The rest of the restrictions aren't too big of a deal, IMO, but I switched from silver to gold for the coin and the broker. Not having to shell out for unlockers constantly is just a perk on top of it. SMILEY

Doing the math, even with unlimited coin on bronze and silver, I'd still keep my gold sub for unlimited broker access as selling is my primary money maker.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #26
Freejazzlive

Loremaster

SteelPiston wrote:

AA slider is still not movable by free accounts.Gold players have access to most races & classes, all if they've bought AoDGold players don't have to worry about item & spell unlockers, which at 90+ are an increasingly major headache.

If you think the gold cap is "the major benefit" then you're not thinking, but please feel free to unsub. I recommend everyone do so, since SOE does not deserve your money.

Golgi Apparati, Swashbuckler of Freeport

Aheedi Adaephon, Warlock of Freeport
Freejazzlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:27 PM   #27
Juggercap

Elder

Freejazzlive wrote:

SteelPiston wrote:

AA slider is still not movable by free accounts.Gold players have access to most races & classes, all if they've bought AoDGold players don't have to worry about item & spell unlockers, which at 90+ are an increasingly major headache.

If you think the gold cap is "the major benefit" then you're not thinking, but please feel free to unsub. I recommend everyone do so, since SOE does not deserve your money.

AA slider doesn't matter if you're capped.

Grandfathered characters don't need to worry about races and classes.

A few unlockers for spells a year, and unlocking some gear is far cheaper than a monthly sub.

Run away! Run away!
Juggercap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:05 PM   #28
EternallyConfuzzled

Loremaster

Juggercap wrote:

Freejazzlive wrote:

SteelPiston wrote:

A few unlockers for spells a year, and unlocking some gear is far cheaper than a monthly sub.

Then removal of the restriction is a win win situation for grandfathered characters at the cap who are stingy with unlocks. Unsub and enjoy the unlimited coin feature on F2P.

I'm not entirely sure what your point was with that extreme example.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:22 PM   #29
Juggercap

Elder

[email protected] wrote:

Juggercap wrote:

Freejazzlive wrote:

SteelPiston wrote:

Then removal of the restriction is a win win situation for grandfathered characters at the cap who are stingy with unlocks. Unsub and enjoy the unlimited coin feature on F2P.

I'm not entirely sure what your point was with that extreme example.

My point was that "If you think the gold cap is "the major benefit" then you're not thinking" is a silly blanket statement that doesn't stand up to quite a large portion of veteran players in an aging game. I fully plan to be unsubbed soon. (Whenever the year I got on a triple cash weekend ends.) I'm still trying to convince myself that they're going to put the work in to make this next year worth buying an expansion for. So far, I'm not convinced.

If you're a new player, the coin cap might not be all that important, but being able to have plat on my account to use as I want...I could see at least unlocking one character. With the slow levels and 0.2 increase type itemization, it's a one time cheap purchase with minimal need to unlock gear more than once or twice.

Run away! Run away!
Juggercap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #30
SteelPiston

Loremaster

Freejazzlive wrote:

A few unlockers for spells a year, and unlocking some gear is far cheaper than a monthly sub

THIS^

Eg. You have a 2 year GOLD sub bought with SC until 2014. Now it is a waste because the goal posts have been moved and a couple of cheap unlockers were all that was required. All other gold perks can be bought. Someone mentioned the storage space - just make more accounts with mule characters to hold your junk if you are a pack rat. Are SOE going to refund those GOLD subs..like hell they will. Something was taken away and given to other folks for free.

I also like the older community that the GOLD sub brings to the game. Now the that freeloader accounts..yes, I said it...freeloader, will have unlimited coin, we can expect an influx of farmers and annoying kids. Not being able to hold more than a few platinum was the MAJOR reason that the Bronzes and Silvers went GOLD. Being handicapped by the low amount of coin that they could hold, kept away the kids.

The Krono escrow account was the way to go.