EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-19-2012, 12:14 AM   #1
Vinyard
Server: Antonia Bayle

Loremaster

Maybe someone can forward this to Smed, or have him come here and answer it for us?

It's launching first in EQ2 (you buy an item from the website, and you can trade it IN game. Basically bypasses getting scammed with SC cards).

Once this launches for all games, will you offer a Upgraded version that gives SoE all access?

Thanks

Vinyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:55 AM   #2
Kinya
Server: Splitpaw
Guild: Runnyeye Raiding Club

Fansite Staff

I have to say, I love the idea of Krono item. I have a feeling that it might bring more people to SOE games

For those who don't know yet what Krono is (thx Feldon):

Fully tradeable, fully resaleable in-game item which adds 30 days of premium membership time to character.account.

Bought or sold freely between players for in-game currency. Similar to Plex in Eve Online.

Comes first to EQ2 on October 29th and then to other games. Everyone who came to SOE Live will get 1 Krono.

http://babagra.pl - Polish Everquest 2 Fansite

Kinya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:21 AM   #3
Brigh

Loremaster

It is funny they use a word that is so close to the term/word that CCP uses for their Eve Online currency, ISK.

CCP is an Icelandic company, and they have done this for several years (maybe they even started it first?).

-Stephen Colbert

CoD3 double XP Rank Up promotion lesson for kids
Brigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
hexalobular

Lord

Meh,  the nordic countries have all used kronor (with varying spelling) for hundreds of years and England used to use Crowns (same word).

Besides Krono obviously has a different root, Chrono - time

hexalobular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:42 PM   #5
Gaarysal
Server: Permafrost
Guild: Fist of the Empire

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Maybe someone can forward this to Smed, or have him come here and answer it for us?

It's launching first in EQ2 (you buy an item from the website, and you can trade it IN game. Basically bypasses getting scammed with SC cards).

Once this launches for all games, will you offer a Upgraded version that gives SoE all access?

Thanks

This is really good news SMILEY and I agree an all access one would be nice as well as an expansion one down the road.

Gaarysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:21 PM   #6
Ulrichvon

Loremaster

And people think SLR would go away in eq2?  lol.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #7
Geothe

Loremaster

Incoming "Selling Raid loot for Krono!!"

hahaha

Smed: 5) This [LoN] is not some slippery slope towards selling items directly in EQ & EQ II.

Lie #3: Station Cash. Enough Said.

Geothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:57 PM   #8
Leawyn

Loremaster

Will we be able to buy these with SC, or is it going to be like buying subs where it will require a credit card?

Maelani | Maelya | Maerie | Maehymn | Maewyn | Maekita | Maelynne
Leawyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:06 PM   #9
General_Info

Lord

[email protected]_old wrote:

Will we be able to buy these with SC, or is it going to be like buying subs where it will require a credit card?

another thing too will these be redeemable for not just time but for the SC value should people desire the sc over the time?

Old 10-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #10
Mermut

Loremaster

I'm guessing you'll have to spend 'real money' not SC for Krono... or it would be just like buying subs with SC, which they've removed.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #11
Hennyo

Loremaster

Well, there is a bit of a misconception out there, you can STILL buy a sub with a SC card, the difference is, you don't use marketplace to do it, you input entire 15 dollar SC card codes into the SOE website. What I am hoping, is that you can buy Krono by doing the same thing, inputing an entire SC card code into the SOE website in exchange for Krono. I am also hoping, while it isn't possible to buy an expansion with SC, that it is possible with Krono.
Hennyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:56 PM   #12
Leawyn

Loremaster

Mermut wrote:

I'm guessing you'll have to spend 'real money' not SC for Krono... or it would be just like buying subs with SC, which they've removed.

That's what I'm guessing too, but an answer would be peachy =) Having more info on how to buy these Krono would go a long way to telling me how useful they actually will be.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:36 PM   #13
Koleg
Server: Unrest_old

Lord

Mermut wrote:

That's what I'm guessing too, but an answer would be peachy =) Having more info on how to buy these Krono would go a long way to telling me how useful they actually will be.

This just gives SOE a way to market and discount game 'Time' in a controlable fashion rather than the SC system which they've allowed to run amuck (83% discounted SC) due to microtransactions flood of F2P and double / triple SC sales.  So we may never see Subs for SC again, we very well might see a BOGO sale on a Krono item.

Koleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #14
SteelPiston

Loremaster

Q. What are Krono?

A. Krono are in-game objects that can be redeemed for 30 days of membership time in the following SOE games:  EverQuest, EverQuest II, and Vanguard: Saga of Heroes. They are sold in the marketplace for real money only, or they may be purchased from other players via the broker or private trade for in-game currency.  Players may not, however, sell Krono to each other for real world money.

Q. What can you do with them?

A. You can buy them from SOE using real money, buy them from other players using in-game currency, gift them, sell them to other players for in-game currency, trade them to other players for other in-game items, and consume them. If you consume a Krono, it is removed from your inventory and 30 days of game membership time is added to the account associated with the character that consumed it.

Q. How can I acquire them?

A. You can buy a new Krono from SOE for US $17.99 or less. Players can also gift Krono to other players, trade them, and sell them for in-game currency.

Q. Wait, does that mean I'm getting a membership for free?

A.  It depends.  All Krono are initially purchased from SOE using real world money.  After a Krono is purchased, it may be freely gifted, traded, or sold for in-game currency to other players.  If another player gifts a Krono to you, then yes, you are effectively getting an item for free that can be redeemed for 30 days of game membership time.  However, somebody previously paid real world money for that Krono.

Q: Why would I buy a Krono?

A: There are many reasons to buy Krono.  For example, if you're a veteran player with a lot of in-game currency, but not a lot to spend it on, you can use that extra currency to buy Krono from other players and turn it into game membership time. Alternatively, if you're a player without much in-game currency and can't buy things on the broker because prices are too high, you can consider buying Krono and selling them to other players to build up your in-game currency.  You can also treat Krono as in-game commodities, and build up your in-game currency by buying and selling them on the broker for a profit.

Q. Does this replace any existing payment methods?

A. No. Krono are not a payment method.  They are in-game items that can be purchased from SOE for US $.  The introduction of Krono into the games will not replace any existing methods for buying game membership time.

Q. Can I trade them between characters?

A. Yes, they may be transferred and traded between characters using the trading window, shared bank slots, and in-game mail.

Q. How can I sell them for in-game currency?

A. Depending on which game you are playing, you can trade them in person to another player, post them for sale on the broker, advertise them in chat channels, sell them in the bazaar, etc.  Please note, however, that players may not sell Krono for real world money.

Q. Do they expire?

A. No, Krono do not expire.

Q. Is this a permanent part of the game?

A. Not yet.  Initially, we will release Krono as a trial program. We will watch to see how they are embraced and used. If the trial is successful, we will continue the program and roll them out to new games.

Q. Are Krono transferable between games?

A. No. Once a Krono has entered a game, it is now a part of that game and cannot be moved to a different game. However, prior to claiming a Krono in a participating game you can choose which game to apply your Krono.

Q. Are they refundable?

A. No.

Q. Do Krono work for game memberships as well as All Access memberships?

A. Yes. When a Krono is consumed, it will add 30 days of game membership time to the account associated with the character that consumed it.  If that account has an existing All Access membership, the All Access membership will be extended by 30 days.  If the account has a regular game membership, that membership will be extended by 30 days.  If the account has no current membership, then 30 days of regular game membership time will be added to the account.

Q. How exactly does the Krono work?

A. You consume the Krono much like you would drink a potion.

Q. Is there a limit to how many Krono I can purchase each day?

A. You can purchase up to 25 Krono per day – either all at once or in separate transactions.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:27 AM   #15
Brigh

Loremaster

It would be awesome if this item was dropped in PvP.

-Stephen Colbert

CoD3 double XP Rank Up promotion lesson for kids
Brigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:27 AM   #16
Leawyn

Loremaster

Thanks, SteelPiston!

Old 10-20-2012, 01:04 AM   #17
Mermut

Loremaster

Brigh wrote:

It would be awesome if this item was dropped in PvP.

I don't see them dropping items that cost real money in that fashion.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:29 AM   #18
ZUES

Loremaster

I smell a nerfbat.

What's going to happen is guilds will all switch to selling loot for monthly plat split(yes a ton of guilds still dont do this) just so a benefit of belonging is the ability to play for free. Plat split purchases are now converted into krono. So much for ever gearing out my alts.

My guild hates selling loot. It's time consuming and a hinderance. But this will kinda force their hand. When does this launch? That's the day I'm turning off /auction.

ZUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:40 AM   #19
Kaito

Lord

Let Research.............

Gold Membership 1 Month (30days) = USD$14.99

KRONO (30days Gold Membership) = USD$17.99

KRONO Differences from Normal Above =  USD$3.00 more

SC Card 1500 = [Gold Membership 1 Month (30days)] = USD$15

Warlmart SC Card 1500+500 = = [Gold Membership 1 Month (30days)] = USD$15

KRONO Differences from Normal Above = USD$2.99 more

The Extra USD$ main function:

01. KRONO can be use anytime to redeemed membership and won't expire until used.

02. Safe purchasing of Membership from players.....

They lack the ability of the KRONO to turn into Station Cash Points (Hope they implement it!!!)

KRONO 30Membership should be worth 1500 SC

Old 10-20-2012, 07:55 AM   #20
bucketon

Loremaster

anyone got any guesses on how much one of these would sell for on broker?

bucketon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:50 AM   #21
Mohee

Lord

9999p is my guess. over time it might lower down to more like 3-5k. And of course, almost no one will sell it from their house, so you'll have to eat the broker fee 

Also, if these are sold on the marketplace, how is SOE going to prevent them from being bought with SC that was obtained during double/triple SC events? Charge directly to your debit/credit card on file?

EQ'ing since 1999
Mohee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:56 AM   #22
Zygar

Loremaster

Mohee wrote:

9999p is my guess. over time it might lower down to more like 3-5k. And of course, almost no one will sell it from their house, so you'll have to eat the broker fee 

Also, if these are sold on the marketplace, how is SOE going to prevent them from being bought with SC that was obtained during double/triple SC events? Charge directly to your debit/credit card on file?

Cash monies only

Q. How can I acquire them?

A. You can buy a new Krono from SOE for US $17.99 or less. Players can also gift Krono to other players, trade them, and sell them for in-game currency.

92 Provisioner
Befallen (Oasis) Server

Zygar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:41 AM   #23
crazyeyes321

Loremaster

17.99?  Maybe its just me, but if they price it above the actual cost of a Walmart giftcard or standard sub pricing, they will miss out on money as people that currently sell SC cards in game and are reliable will be a prime source for penny pinchers.

edit:  I like the concept, and 3 dollars isnt anything really.  However, they still need to find SOMETHING to put in the game that serves as a WORTHWHILE plat sink.

crazyeyes321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #24
Hateeternal

Loremaster

LoL I had to laugh so hard when I read this.

This is shamelessly ripped off of the game Tera. They have it over there since it started and they're called "Chronoscrolls".

SOE could've at least use some fantasy with the name but this is just lazy... SMILEY

Well here in Germany we have a saying it goes like "rather steal a good idea than thinking of a bad one by yourself"  (at least somewhat like that SMILEY ) and I'm always low on money so I very much welcome this anyway.

I don't think it's gonna work over here though, because there is already such an incredible amount of plat in the game

that they're not gonna be worth anything. And noone is gonna spend 15 bucks for that only to make it into 2-5k plat.

SOE Schedule:

8:00: see what isn't broken yet and break it

10:00: ban players complaining about it on the board

11:00: implement stuff noone wants, that breaks other stuff

-repeat-
Hateeternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:19 AM   #25
ZUES

Loremaster

Kronos (Cronos) - the father of the Olympians  Known as a cannibal that preys on the innocent.

ZUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:34 AM   #26
Deago

Loremaster

Zues....you have guts.

Ontopic:

If the 280aa change and this etc.. all go into play it will yield a much easier time for a new player to catch up with other people in a more secure fashion.  

Pirate101 just came out and I gave it a whurl and you can spend 100's if not 1000+ in usd to max out your levels.  So in that sense 17.99 which can be probably sold for 1k+ easily is not too bad in my opinion.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:35 AM   #27
deadcrickets2

Loremaster

Hate to say it but it sounds like it's being priced to fail. 

Am also on Playxpert.

If I have time I'll even answer tech questions.

deadcrickets2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:38 PM   #28
Ulrichvon

Loremaster

deadcrickets2 wrote:

Hate to say it but it sounds like it's being priced to fail. 

Not if you have experience with getting banned cause you bought SC cards bought with stolen credit cards...

There is more risk in purchacing SC from people you don't know, where kronos are risk free.

I do agree the pricepoint should be 15 bucks, and I don't doubt they will be 15 bucks in the future, I also don't doubt they'll be occasional promos for them as well.

As far as the other posters comment on pricepoints.  I would guess 400-800p on the broker.  There are enough ways to make these transactions and players are pretty smart and can quickly value these things.  Kronos being the easiest and safest, they're going to be the most expensive path, but I think they'll quickly be the most common way of making these transactions.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:47 PM   #29
Gaarysal
Server: Permafrost
Guild: Fist of the Empire

Loremaster

As far as the pricing goes, imo its reasonable. You save the gas and time it takes to drive to walmart for $3. Also this thread was initially about All Access Pass memberships, according to the FAQ, these are included depending on whether your account is setup for it or not. As this is the case, on all access you save $2 so it depends how you look at it.

Aside from this I have 2 concerns

a) SC cards might still end up being preferred. Cheaper and more versatile (can be used for time and items) and will most likely sell for same price as krono.

b) low population servers will be at a significant disadvantage. On permafrost it is pretty hard to find someone selling SC cards these days. Maybe this will change if more people login after expansion. But this may further the population divide by serving as yet another incentive to transfer or start on a high population server.

Gaarysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:58 PM   #30
Xephier
Server: Guk

Loremaster

This is the worst idea I've heard of in the history of bad ideas for this game, all it does is streamline plat purchacing ingame by offering a tradeable ingame comodity for real money, do not do this..

Xephier is offline   Reply With Quote