EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-17-2011, 02:26 PM   #1
Arweena69

Loremaster

So last update we had was from Smokejumper on Jan 1st saying it would be about 2 weeks.  Well 2 weeks have past so where's our hardware upgrades?  Or at the very least can we get some info on when they will be happening?

Link to where Smoke said the 2 weeks : http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...topic_id=501811

Arweena69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:35 PM   #2
Drumstix

Loremaster

About 2 weeks never equals 2 weeks.

[DrumsUI] author @ EQ2Interface.com
Drumstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:59 PM   #3
Quicksilver74

Loremaster

At Fan Faire they said it'd be next week. 

Quicksilver74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:31 PM   #4
Gaige

Loremaster

[email protected]_old wrote:

Which of course was this week, which is already over.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:39 PM   #5
Katanalla
Server: Mistmoore

General

coming soon (tm)

Katanalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:50 PM   #6
msgnomer

Loremaster

Totally beside the point, but the thread title gave me the urge to dig out my old Hardwar game and reinstall.  Instead I just checked on a couple of websites for now.

Hall of Fame: Help Feed the Dragons! (No, you won't be the food!)

Look for Poet's Dungeon: The Mad Poet's Release returning soon.

----------

Aluriel's chronicle of a scavanger hunt through 50 player decorated homes and guildhalls:.... http://photobucket.com/AlurielsAdventure

msgnomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:28 AM   #7
Tallithia

Lord

Having worked with an IT department in my admin days, usually we tripled any timeline they gave just because so many issues, unforseen tend to pop up.  

Be Careful what you ask for. You may get what you want but at what cost?
Tallithia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:00 AM   #8
SisterTheresa

The Vigilant

Hopefully they'll do it soon.  But I never go by their estimations anyway.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:52 AM   #9
Kutteruk

Loremaster

I dont know about the rest of you, but I remember eading in that same post that Splitpaw has HAD its upgrade.

If it has, then what was the reasoning behind it? What did they hope to achieve?

I'm on Splitpaw and I for one don't see a single difference between now and before!

Anyone else?

Art.

Kutteruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:01 AM   #10
MurFalad

Loremaster

Kutteruk wrote:

I dont know about the rest of you, but I remember eading in that same post that Splitpaw has HAD its upgrade.

If it has, then what was the reasoning behind it? What did they hope to achieve?

I'm on Splitpaw and I for one don't see a single difference between now and before!

Anyone else?

Art.

I've noticed that during public quests when I use an ability it goes off immediately and the UI updates immediately, which is very different from before.  In raids too I've not experienced any lag in the past few weeks, so I think its had an effect.

The one problem I have still see occur though is on the broker, sometimes its takes several seconds before it allows me to put another item up for sale.  I had this before the upgrade and it was really bad (in the order of 60s+), so its better now, but I'm wondering here if the broker is running off an older hardware cluster that's been moved to the new machine - or maybe its just that I'm trying to use it late at night when background tasks are running?

MurFalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:04 AM   #11
Quicksilver74

Loremaster

Gaige wrote:

[email protected]_old wrote:

Which of course was this week, which is already over.

Perhaps they simply meant they'd order the servers next week?  =P

Quicksilver74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:44 AM   #12
Banditman

Loremaster

Except that they said they already had the hardware . . .

Old 07-18-2011, 11:44 AM   #13
Notes

Loremaster

Really upsetting that there has been no response to this at all. 

Noets

Notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:15 PM   #14
Rothgar

Developer

Time estimates given in the past are just that, estimates.  I haven't heard of any issues with the planned upgrades so they should still be happening very soon.

Rothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:18 PM   #15
Delimant
Server: Butcherblock
Guild: Legacy

Loremaster

Rothgar wrote:

Time estimates given in the past are just that, estimates.  I haven't heard of any issues with the planned upgrades so they should still be happening very soon.

Thanks for replying sir.  What you just posted is 100x better than leaving everyone in the dark unsure of what is happening.

Delimant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:38 PM   #16
Glenolas

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Rothgar wrote:

Thanks for replying sir.  What you just posted is 100x better than leaving everyone in the dark unsure of what is happening.

How did that make you any more sure of what's happening? 

It's an absolutely newsfree comment, basically saying NOTHING about the plan.     Rothgar said "next week" several times at FanFaire.  That's past now.  So you get another non answer, and thank him for it?

Glenolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:36 PM   #17
Rothgar

Developer

Glenolas wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Rothgar wrote:

How did that make you any more sure of what's happening? 

It's an absolutely newsfree comment, basically saying NOTHING about the plan.     Rothgar said "next week" several times at FanFaire.  That's past now.  So you get another non answer, and thank him for it?

You're mistaking me for someone else at Fan Faire.  If I had more information I'd give it to you.  The upgrades will happen when they happen.  There are steps that need to be taken for some of them because we are moving them to a different data center.  There are other pieces of the puzzle outside of our control and if those are delayed, the upgrades are delayed.  Getting angry on the forums won't make them go any faster.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:46 PM   #18
Onorem

Loremaster

Rothgar wrote:

I think that most people would be willing to accept that estimates are just estimates if any communication was present prior to estimated dates passing their estimated date by 100%.

Yes, you can only tell us what you think will happen. Once it didn't happen though, apologize, explain what happened (or didn't), and let people know what the next best estimate is?

Old 07-18-2011, 06:37 PM   #19
Artalis the Elder

Loremaster

Rothgar didn't give a timeframe. That's not within his area really. He's the lead for the programming team and has better things to be doing than apologizing to you for something he never promised.

Rothgar's only got about a billion lines of code to parse through to fix the boatload of issues we gave him at fanfaire as well as to make sure his team is on target for the extremely 'aggressive'(to put it mildly) rollout of new features that (again) others have promised.

In short don't lean over the mechanic's shoulder and demand an explanation as to why your car ain't fixed yet.

Let the man work.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:52 PM   #20
Karrane1

Tester

/agree Kiki

Old 07-18-2011, 09:05 PM   #21
Arweena69

Loremaster

Rothgar wrote:

You're mistaking me for someone else at Fan Faire.  If I had more information I'd give it to you.  The upgrades will happen when they happen.  There are steps that need to be taken for some of them because we are moving them to a different data center.  There are other pieces of the puzzle outside of our control and if those are delayed, the upgrades are delayed.  Getting angry on the forums won't make them go any faster.

Thank you Rothgar.  My post was not ment to be an attack it was simply a request for information, I know that it was not you that gave the 2 week estimate, as was stated in my initial post.  I do understand that things happen that are out of your control I was simply hoping to get a revised estimate or if there isn't one at this point possibly a little more information as to what's causing the delay.

Arweena69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:05 PM   #22
Badd Boy

Loremaster

If Rothgar is not the right person to respond... then dont respond. Dont get on here all pompus like we owe SOE something. We have waited far too long and that type of attitude is not the right way go.

The fact is that the time promise has come and gone. Rothgar, at the end of the day we are the customers who expect equipment to run right. With that said, we have been a very patient bunch. We have raided for a long time with lag that shouldnt be there and just swallowed it, because we love the game. Those of us that are still around are here because we want to be.

Maybe you did not intend for your post to be taken this way, but it is. And yes, I know you are not the person responsible for time and scheduling of the upgrade. Can someone who does know respond? Quite simply "upgrades will happen when they happen" does not work for me.

Do not mistake my post for anger. Not angry, just impatient and was looking forward to the upgrades that should have happened much earlier had it not been for your security breech, which again I know is not your responsibility.

Badd Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:19 PM   #23
Onorem

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Rothgar didn't give a timeframe. That's not within his area really. He's the lead for the programming team and has better things to be doing than apologizing to you for something he never promised.

Rothgar's only got about a billion lines of code to parse through to fix the boatload of issues we gave him at fanfaire as well as to make sure his team is on target for the extremely 'aggressive'(to put it mildly) rollout of new features that (again) others have promised.

In short don't lean over the mechanic's shoulder and demand an explanation as to why your car ain't fixed yet.

Let the man work.

Rothgar doesn't have to be the one who lets the community know what's going on. He's just pretty much the best current employee when it comes to communicating with us.

My comment wasn't intended to insinuate that Rothgar needed to be the one apologizing, but once 2 weeks turns into a month, it would be nice if there was someone able to give an update. I agree completely that estimates are only estimates. I don't agree with defending the complete lack of communication until people start complaining about estimates on them being bad estimates.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:14 AM   #24
Glenolas

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Then why did he jump into the thread and post a non answer?  I simply pointed out that there was no news in his statement.

I am fully aware of what he does internally.   We see thedaily stream of bugs, the best advertisement of his ability.  

Tried CoV recently?  It's only been in game 2 years, so probably a little too soon to actually work.    Chased any warping mobs?  He never explained why that feature was put into the game, never mind a timeframe for it being fixed.   Threads that are his specialty get the silent treatment.

Glenolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:31 PM   #25
Rothgar

Developer

Glenolas wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Then why did he jump into the thread and post a non answer?  I simply pointed out that there was no news in his statement.

I am fully aware of what he does internally.   We see thedaily stream of bugs, the best advertisement of his ability.  

Tried CoV recently?  It's only been in game 2 years, so probably a little too soon to actually work.    Chased any warping mobs?  He never explained why that feature was put into the game, never mind a timeframe for it being fixed.   Threads that are his specialty get the silent treatment.

People often want a response from a red name, even if its not the exact answer they are looking for.  My response was meant to let you know that the upgrades are still coming but I don't have an updated estimate at the moment.  I'm checking with our network engineers to try to get some more information.

As far as the other issues, yes they exist.  The game will never be 100% bug-free.  If it weren't those two issues you mentioned, it would be two of something else.  We are tackling the issues as fast as we can in the best priority that we can. 

Old 07-19-2011, 06:38 PM   #26
Ealthina

Loremaster

Rothgar wrote:

Glenolas wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

People often want a response from a red name, even if its not the exact answer they are looking for.  My response was meant to let you know that the upgrades are still coming but I don't have an updated estimate at the moment.  I'm checking with our network engineers to try to get some more information.

As far as the other issues, yes they exist.  The game will never be 100% bug-free.  If it weren't those two issues you mentioned, it would be two of something else.  We are tackling the issues as fast as we can in the best priority that we can. 

Ever get the feeling Dev's are like auto mechanics.  They intentionally never fix "everything" so they can justify their job security?

Ealthina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:47 PM   #27
feldon30

Fansite Staff

[email protected] wrote:

Ever get the feeling Dev's are like auto mechanics.  They intentionally never fix "everything" so they can justify their job security?

SOE. We provide the content, you provide the cynicism.

The EQ2 forums seem undermoderated these days. These kind of vindictive attacks against devs wouldn't have stood in the past.

feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:49 PM   #28
Ealthina

Loremaster

feldon30 wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

The EQ2 forums seem undermoderated these days. These kind of vindictive attacks against devs wouldn't have stood in the past.

Vindicitve attack?  Hardly.  Cynical observation?  Perhaps.

Ealthina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:39 PM   #29
Valentina
Guild: House of Fallen Shadows

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

feldon30 wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Vindicitve attack?  Hardly.  Cynical observation?  Perhaps.

Allow me to add my own cynical observation; forum posts like yours in the above quote offer nothing constructive, and could in fact reduce the chances of a dev trying to use these forums for communication.

Valentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:07 AM   #30
Delimant
Guild: Legacy

Loremaster

Seriously.  What kind of dev would want to come on here just to get yelled at for doing their job? 

"Oh hi guys, during my 40-60 hour workweek, I fixed x and y problems and did this and that."

Other players:

"Why isn't this fixed yet?  This bug has been here two weeks!  Why are you guys so lazy?  Do you break things on purpose?  etc etc".

If it were me, I wouldn't be logging on either.  The internet really brings out the inner jerk in people.

Delimant is offline   Reply With Quote