EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > Look and Feel
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-25-2011, 09:34 PM   #91
Kikiriki
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Knights of Freeport

Loremaster

Aelfan wrote:

[email protected] DLere wrote:

the dark elf would have spitted you with your walking stick before you even began to think about attacking.

Seriously though... making comments and remarks about the impracticality of fantasy world mechanics in a real world environment couldn't epitomize any greater example of an Alpha and Omega Epic Fail.

Yeah, I don't think so. Anyone with the most rudimentary knowledge of the history of personal armour would see that, but anyone that would question my ability with a walking stick clearly is not talking from knowledge.

My point is a retort to those that have questioned "fantasy" armour that displays a lot of flesh, but in truth it is all fantasy armour, and all equally impractical. Why not just allow the ladies to be beautiful if they wish?

Or horrifically skanky if they so choose!

Sig by me!
Kikiriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:45 PM   #92
CorpseGoddess

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Aelfan wrote:

the dark elf would have spitted you with your walking stick before you even began to think about attacking.

Seriously though... making comments and remarks about the impracticality of fantasy world mechanics in a real world environment couldn't epitomize any greater example of an Alpha and Omega Epic Fail.

Yeah, I don't think so. Anyone with the most rudimentary knowledge of the history of personal armour would see that, but anyone that would question my ability with a walking stick clearly is not talking from knowledge.

My point is a retort to those that have questioned "fantasy" armour that displays a lot of flesh, but in truth it is all fantasy armour, and all equally impractical. Why not just allow the ladies to be beautiful if they wish?

Or horrifically skanky if they so choose!

Or both at the same time...some of us think it's possible.  

Old 01-26-2011, 03:06 AM   #93
Jrral

Loremaster

Aelfan wrote:

And on the question of skimpy armor, point: my berzerker can (according to the character info screen) lift 5800+lbs, or just shy of 3 tons. To give you scale, the Olympic world record for weightlifting is not quite 580lbs. My berzerker's lifting 10x that. If he hits you while you're wearing any armor that you can actually move in his weapon isn't even going to have to get through the armor, impact trauma alone's going to kill you instantly even if the armor doesn't buckle and crush you to death. The only way armor's going to stand up to the kinds of blows our characters are capable of is if it's enchanted. Which makes sense, it's also letting them survive a point-blank hit by a fireball. But if the armor's enchanted and the enchantment's what's absorbing the vast majority of the damage, what's the armor actually needed for? I always figured fantasy armor's just the physical carrier for the enchantement, it doesn't do anything significant beyond that. And for that, a few scraps of silk and lengths of cord (or even enchanted tattoos) will hold and spread an enchantment across the body just as well as full plate armor will. It's all appearance at this level, armor's less about protection than about the statement the character's making to the world (hence why J wears gear that says "I'm not some parade-ground nancy-boy out to impress the ladies, I'm here to pound you flat and take your loot and the only way I care about "impressing" you is into that solid stone floor.").

Jrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:22 PM   #94
Aelfan

Lord

[email protected] wrote:

A lot of sense.

Why is it that the people who choose to play Kerrans are so sensible?

I second the motion for enchanted tattoos!!

Aelfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:18 PM   #95
Brook

Tester

Aelfan wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

A lot of sense.

Kerran sensible...yea right.

The people I know that play Kerrans are a bunch of wackos, I am not talking about your run of the mill nut cases like me, these people suffer from some sort of severe mental disorder that no amount of therapy will correct.

But seriously, you're the kind of guy that zones into gears without a healer and spends the whole match talking about the fact there isn't a healer instead of contributing. I hate you, and everyone like you that plays this game. Please spend less time whining and more time winning, it contributes to the general growth of the game and makes gameplay more enjoyable for all.

Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:43 PM   #96
WeatherMan

Loremaster

Brook wrote:

Aelfan wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

A lot of sense.

Kerran sensible...yea right.

The people I know that play Kerrans are a bunch of wackos, I am not talking about your run of the mill nut cases like me, these people suffer from some sort of severe mental disorder that no amount of therapy will correct.

Maybe so, and I admit I'm not fond of kerrans as a player character option, but...

Jrral nailed it square on the head.  Hence the reason why a chainmail bikini would be little different in a pitched battle than a full suit of plate - it would all depend on the magic.  It could simply not have been stated any better than he put it.

I have not yet seen any 'skanky' armor or dress options in-game, and you can make book that SOE would never put anything of the sort in.  And even nudity, depending on the situation, could be appropriate.  I very much doubt the average Roman legionnaire would look up at a howling Pict berserker holding his stone axe aloft and think "Oh, that's just inappropriate, that pervert shouldn't be out battling with his weewee flailing in the breeze!"  No, he's either fighting for his life, an effort which is occupying his attention in its entirety, or he's wet himself and is running as fast as his sandals can carry him back through Hadrian's Wall (or wherever), and giving thanks to the gods that he's still in one piece. 

The whole 'nudity as [Removed for Content]' argument is a colossal cop-out, and we'd never see it anyways.  Even Age of Conan doesn't have complete nudity, and it is the only 'mature' MMO that I'm aware of.  Besides, all people want is more choices for their characters.  Of all sorts.  After all, the player is the one who should be making the choices about what their character wears, not someone else.  I don't give a rip if I'm 'spoiling someone else's game experience' - it's my character, and if I want to dress him up in flourescent green leather armor and a fez, I should be able to do just that.

My character, my choice.

- Charles De Gaulle
WeatherMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:43 PM   #97
Aerfen
Server: Lucan DLere
Guild: Felwithe Freedom Fighters

Loremaster

So I love some of the ideas presented.  It will be hard to please everyone, because while my girls don't really like to "slore" it up, there are certainly a number of players whose characters do.

Here are a few pics I found from Daz that I would love to see...

And for the love of Norrath can we please get some KILTS?!  

Thank you for giving carpenters building blocks!! - Lady Aerfen
Aerfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:44 PM   #98
Kikiriki
Guild: Knights of Freeport

Loremaster

Now, see, the above pictures are what I'd consider REALLY GOOD fantasy outfits. Especially the one with the one elf girl pointing. That's absolutely beautiful. It's not like... held on with doublesided tape. You could make a skirt "belt" item for the bottom of that shirt that would let it flutter without clipping the legs.

That dude with the plaid belt... all I can hear in a really gravelly voice is "HOW-ARE-YAHHHH?" XD sorry!

But I like his outfit muchly.

Come on, SOE! Look at us throwing this /awesome/ ideas at you!! Please look into this!!

Sig by me!
Kikiriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:03 PM   #99
quiarrah

Loremaster

I agree 100000000000000000000%!

You don't have to have G-strings and pasties to be sexy. . .These are LOVELY outfits! ALL of them. I would wear any of them. . (even in RL! anyone in the SCA???)

Come on SONY! We need some fashion updates. Don't let those high fashion models of Azeroth (WoW)  or Ascalon (GW) have all the fun! We want to be fashionable too!

Old 01-26-2011, 11:06 PM   #100
kelvmor

Loremaster

[Removed for Content], I'm glad I'm a dude.

kelvmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:24 AM   #101
WeatherMan

Loremaster

kelvmor wrote:

It's not soley a distaff argument.  Maybe have your swashbuckler be able to dress like Jack Sparrow or the Dread Pirate Roberts?  We can't actually do that at the moment.  And sure, the gals could wear the pirate boots, bandannas, and poofy shirts too, but we all know who they would be introduced for.

Guys attire in-game is just as stilted and boring as the gals.  The only reason it isn't an issue to the same degree is that an overwhelming majority of 'red shirt' equivalents in fantasy are male (and thus disposable, so who cares what they wear), and attractive clothing on a woman is much more easily acknowledged as a standard trope.  But us guys shouldn't be left out in the cold - any sort of outfit the gals get, we should get a male version.  Absent a kilt, a barbarian or ogre fella would be well-served by his Conan Battleshorts (tm). 

- Charles De Gaulle
WeatherMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:45 AM   #102
Lethe5683

Loremaster

WeatherMan wrote:

kelvmor wrote:

It's not soley a distaff argument.  Maybe have your swashbuckler be able to dress like Jack Sparrow or the Dread Pirate Roberts?  We can't actually do that at the moment.  And sure, the gals could wear the pirate boots, bandannas, and poofy shirts too, but we all know who they would be introduced for.

Guys attire in-game is just as stilted and boring as the gals.  The only reason it isn't an issue to the same degree is that an overwhelming majority of 'red shirt' equivalents in fantasy are male (and thus disposable, so who cares what they wear), and attractive clothing on a woman is much more easily acknowledged as a standard trope.  But us guys shouldn't be left out in the cold - any sort of outfit the gals get, we should get a male version.  Absent a kilt, a barbarian or ogre fella would be well-served by his Conan Battleshorts (tm). 

I agree. This game just badly needs more appearance variety in armor and clothing in general.  It's been pretty much the same models retextured over and over since lauch with a new one occasionally added.

Lethe5683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:34 AM   #103
Eritius
Server: Lucan DLere
Guild: Fate by Blood

Loremaster

Lethe5683 wrote:

WeatherMan wrote:

kelvmor wrote:

I agree. This game just badly needs more appearance variety in armor and clothing in general.  It's been pretty much the same models retextured over and over since lauch with a new one occasionally added.

Thats the price we pay for having so many classes and being able to customize their size.

WoW gets away with it by the only 3d modeling for armor being helm, gloves, boots, and shoulders. Everything else is just textured over the character model. And they've only got 12 races.

In EQ2, the armor is not just textured over the model. Its a model in itself. We risk looking cartoony if they just textured it. Which wouldn't look bad, but it'd turn alot of people off. Thats the main reason alot play this instead of the other choice.

Eritius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 04:26 AM   #104
Lethe5683

Loremaster

Thats the price we pay for having so many classes and being able to customize their size.

WoW gets away with it by the only 3d modeling for armor being helm, gloves, boots, and shoulders. Everything else is just textured over the character model. And they've only got 12 races.

In EQ2, the armor is not just textured over the model. Its a model in itself. We risk looking cartoony if they just textured it. Which wouldn't look bad, but it'd turn alot of people off. Thats the main reason alot play this instead of the other choice.

And their models are crap that any amateur modeler could make in a few hours.

Lethe5683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:45 AM   #105
Crystalily

Loremaster

That white robe with the lacy looking sleeves is so nice!^^  I wanted the nice white dress in game but I'm not in a guild =(, but agree 100 % if they've got the time yeah I think some new attractive armour would be nice .

Crystalily is offline   Reply With Quote