EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-23-2012, 01:45 PM   #1
Guldor
Server: Crushbone
Guild: For Hire

Loremaster

With the introduction of Prestige Points it seems that the reign of AA has come to an end.

But why stop there? Why not remove AA completely and chnage it into Prestige Points? Frome level 10 on you will ear 4 Prestige Points every level until you hit 90 and have the current 320 AA points. Then starting from there you will earn 5 points every level to get in line with the current Prestige Points. You will have the same amount of points available as you have right now.

In addtion to that you could give every crafter from 10 to 90 every 2 levels a Tradeskill Prestige Point so they can fill out the crafting Aa tree. And only those points can be spend in that tree.

This would remove some of the most boring element of this game for good, AA grinding. And it will open up the tradeskill AA tree to more players that just can't waste points in that tree because they need to points for combat. And it will allow Tradeskillers to get access to those points without the need to grind AAs.

Thoughts?

Old 10-23-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
Mermut

Loremaster

No thank you. Getting AA is only a 'grind' if a player races to max level while ignoring AA. It isn't difficult to get both at once, but it is a choice.

The current system offers people choice. Players can focus on level, AA or both. Leveling is also crazy fast right now. Even with the slider at 50% or more into AA, zones are outleveled before questlines can be finished.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:38 PM   #3
Weebee

Champion

I am in complete disagreement with the fact that people are out leveling zones.

I sure as heck dont.  I level slow and its not by choice.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:55 PM   #4
salty21db

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

With the introduction of Prestige Points it seems that the reign of AA has come to an end.

But why stop there? Why not remove AA completely and chnage it into Prestige Points? Frome level 10 on you will ear 4 Prestige Points every level until you hit 90 and have the current 320 AA points. Then starting from there you will earn 5 points every level to get in line with the current Prestige Points. You will have the same amount of points available as you have right now.

In addtion to that you could give every crafter from 10 to 90 every 2 levels a Tradeskill Prestige Point so they can fill out the crafting Aa tree. And only those points can be spend in that tree.

This would remove some of the most boring element of this game for good, AA grinding. And it will open up the tradeskill AA tree to more players that just can't waste points in that tree because they need to points for combat. And it will allow Tradeskillers to get access to those points without the need to grind AAs.

Thoughts?

As I stated clearly in the other post.  You keep removing timesinks you're left with an empty shell of a game that people are going to play, cap out, and move on.  Why do you think other games release and then drop off?  People ask to get rid of the "boring" aspects of MMOs not realizing that they are destroying the genre by doing so.  Longevity and consistent content is what makes an MMO an MMO, otherwise you should just go play console games.  Which is ultimately the way I'm starting to feel is that the majority of the people who play MMOs, shouldn't even be in the MMO genre as they are here to morph it into something else completely.

salty21db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:07 PM   #5
crazyeyes321

Loremaster

salty21db wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Thoughts?

As I stated clearly in the other post.  You keep removing timesinks you're left with an empty shell of a game that people are going to play, cap out, and move on.  Why do you think other games release and then drop off?  People ask to get rid of the "boring" aspects of MMOs not realizing that they are destroying the genre by doing so.  Longevity and consistent content is what makes an MMO an MMO, otherwise you should just go play console games.  Which is ultimately the way I'm starting to feel is that the majority of the people who play MMOs, shouldn't even be in the MMO genre as they are here to morph it into something else completely.

the issue is that with the game advanced in the years as it is, the reliance on aa to allow a character to level past a point, and in fact even be viable, prolongs the time a new character or alt is segregated from the rest of the population.  Since they seem to only really push endgame now and all gear trivializes early levels, all it is at that point is a solo grind that some do far faster and more efficiently than others.

If AA truly has reached the end of its being added to and prestige via leveling is the new method, might as well just tack the AA points on to new characters as they level, so the only thing they have to worry about is leveling.

crazyeyes321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #6
salty21db

Loremaster

crazyeyes321 wrote:

salty21db wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Thoughts?

the issue is that with the game advanced in the years as it is, the reliance on aa to allow a character to level past a point, and in fact even be viable, prolongs the time a new character or alt is segregated from the rest of the population.  Since they seem to only really push endgame now and all gear trivializes early levels, all it is at that point is a solo grind that some do far faster and more efficiently than others.

If AA truly has reached the end of its being added to and prestige via leveling is the new method, might as well just tack the AA points on to new characters as they level, so the only thing they have to worry about is leveling.

Sooo instead of enticing lower level gaming, utilizing the content that is already there, our idea is to get rid of more things to do or "content" just so people can get to endgame even faster even though you can already get to endgame in around 10 days playtime? lol.  Wow and to think I used to set for hours/days at one camp spot just to get one named and now the MMOs have de-evolved into this pile of filth.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:22 PM   #7
crazyeyes321

Loremaster

Again, you are overlooking the age of the game.  Would revamped zones be fun?  Sure.  But people have moved past those areas, they don't want to go back down to level 30, 50, 68, etc.  Revamps might increase the fun for a few people making alts, but thats it.  THIS game is now about the endgame, its not the journey.  You are kidding yourself if you think they will take the effort to restore all those abandoned zones into something new.  That is why eq3 is underdevelopment.

crazyeyes321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #8
Freejazzlive

Loremaster

To me, "AA grinding" is the only thing that actually approaches a "challenge" in EQ2. Get rid of it, & this game will become even more pointlessly dull than it already is.

Golgi Apparati, Swashbuckler of Freeport

Aheedi Adaephon, Warlock of Freeport
Freejazzlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:27 PM   #9
Mohee

Lord

DULL IT UP!!!!!

EQ'ing since 1999
Mohee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:28 PM   #10
Ulrichvon

Loremaster

Freejazzlive wrote:

To me, "AA grinding" is the only thing that actually approaches a "challenge" in EQ2. Get rid of it, & this game will become even more pointlessly dull than it already is.

The game is centered around gear progression, thats why 'free' players don't get to get very far with it.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #11
Onurissa
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Order of Marr

Lord

Just what we need another thread asking them to make game easier. Its easy enough. It doesnt take long to get to max level. They already lowered the AA curve, so you can get those "so hard to get" AA's faster. Leave things as they are. Heck make the game harder, more fun when you are actually challenged not just cruise control right to 90 in less then a week.

Onurissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:44 PM   #12
decator666

Champion

Weebee wrote:

Agreed.  Generally I run out of quests and spend hours traveling maps to find a feather ... But maybe the game is geared to do repeatable quests 100x to get to 80 so you can continue picking up quests to level... No thanks I hate repeating quests unless they give rewards worth my time.

I don't mind slow leveling, granted, but I don't want to run out of quests.

92 Carpenter

92 Weaponsmith

92 Woodworker

92 Tailor

92 Armorsmith

92 Scribe
decator666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:56 PM   #13
LordPazuzu

Loremaster

Yes, let's totally remove a major aspect of character progression.  Especially one that's a signature of the entire EverQuest franchise.

If anything, I want MORE AA's. 

People in support of this can word it anyway they want, justify it anyway they want, but it comes down to laziness or the inability to play the game correctly... or both.

LordPazuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:15 PM   #14
Leawyn

Loremaster

Leveling would be markedly slower if this change was made. The fact is, they wouldn't just remove all the experience entailed in 320 AA, as your post seems to imply. If they were to give 4 prestige per level, then they would have to add 4 AA worth of experience to every level. It would still take you just as long to get to 90/320 as it does today, you just lose the choice of going full on AA at a low level, or pushing levels till 90 and going back to get AA.

I can just see the reaction to another rescaling of experience, only this time people could lose levels if they were 90 with only 100 AA.

Maelani | Maelya | Maerie | Maehymn | Maewyn | Maekita | Maelynne
Leawyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:09 PM   #15
Freejazzlive

Loremaster

Ulrichvon wrote:

Freejazzlive wrote:

The game is centered around gear progression, thats why 'free' players don't get to get very far with it.

I guess that depends on what you call a "free" player: I'm a Silver account & haven't spent more than $60 or so since the F2P conversion. Someone who pays attention to what they're doing & figures out how to play should be able to easily make 70, even 80 (at least) without spending a dime. Granted, you probably won't do a lot of grouping & you won't be able to use a lot of quest rewards, but neither of those really matter until level 92 anyway.

Golgi Apparati, Swashbuckler of Freeport

Aheedi Adaephon, Warlock of Freeport
Freejazzlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:56 PM   #16
Cakeny

Lord

Only change to AA system I would endorse is to remove limits and make it a clone of EQ1 AA system.

Cakeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:59 PM   #17
Ulrichvon

Loremaster

I fully expect they'll just go ahead and sell 90/280 in the not so far future.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:43 PM   #18
Mermut

Loremaster

decator666 wrote:

Weebee wrote:

Agreed.  Generally I run out of quests and spend hours traveling maps to find a feather ... But maybe the game is geared to do repeatable quests 100x to get to 80 so you can continue picking up quests to level... No thanks I hate repeating quests unless they give rewards worth my time.

I don't mind slow leveling, granted, but I don't want to run out of quests.

If you're running out of quests, check out other zones. Every level range has at least two (many have three) zones that are designed for each tier until you get to top tier, and even that is changing with the expansion.

1-20: New Halas, Greater Faydark, Timorous Deep, Darklight Woods, plus the various small adventure zones off Freeport and Qeynos

20-30: Butcherblock, Antonica, Commonlands

30-40: Steamfont, Enchanted Lands, Zek

40-50: Ferrott, Lavastorm, Everfrost

50-60: Lesser Faydark, Sinking Sands

60-70: Overrealm (Tenebrous Tangle, Barren Sky, Bonemire), Loping Plains

70-80: Kunark (Kylong Plains, Fens of Nasthur, Kunzar Jungle, Jarsath Wastes)

80-90: Odus (Sundered Frontier, Stonebrunt Highlands), Velious (Great Divide, Eastern Wastes)

Those are just the overland zones, there are a host of contested and at later levels, instanced dungeons as well. Running out of quests and content should never be an issue. Unfortunately the 'golden path' doesn't encourage people to get out and see the rest of Norath.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:46 PM   #19
SteelPiston

Loremaster

AA better stay as it is. I worked my butt off getting 320AA on 7 toons and 280+ on several others. Other people should have to do the same.

The weeping gallery is already getting 2 x 280AA insta dings with CoE. That is more than enough for the cry babies and I'm not happy about that. Everyone wants to be on top of the mountain these days without climbing it.

It's like SOE is creating an express lane to the end content for the slackers that haven't even worked their way through the regular content. If you are a 5 year+ vet and don't at least two 92/92/320's you need to keep quiet and spend more time playing one toon than a dozen alts. If you are a new player; enjoy the ride,as you have 8 years of content to work through before you need to worry about having a 92/92/280+ toon to play CoE content.

People that threaten to leave, go already! You'll be back once you find there is no better game to be playing than EQ2.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:26 AM   #20
Lortet

Loremaster

I am the alt-o-holic 5+ year vet without the 92/92/320's - but i'm not complaining about it being hard to get aa points etc - I have NO particular desire to get to 92 adventure - if it happens, it will - I get totally bored with any particular character after a day or so and change to another, coming back to the first after a day, a week or even a few months. What I don't want is someone to effectively link aa's to level. I enjoy getting around earlier content, and my advancement is in steadily accumulating aa points (even if I can't spend them lol).

Lortet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:48 AM   #21
ZachSpastic

Loremaster

SteelPiston wrote:

AA better stay as it is. I worked my butt off getting 320AA on 7 toons and 280+ on several others. Other people should have to do the same.

The weeping gallery is already getting 2 x 280AA insta dings with CoE. That is more than enough for the cry babies and I'm not happy about that. Everyone wants to be on top of the mountain these days without climbing it.

It's like SOE is creating an express lane to the end content for the slackers that haven't even worked their way through the regular content. If you are a 5 year+ vet and don't at least two 92/92/320's you need to keep quiet and spend more time playing one toon than a dozen alts. If you are a new player; enjoy the ride,as you have 8 years of content to work through before you need to worry about having a 92/92/280+ toon to play CoE content.

People that threaten to leave, go already! You'll be back once you find there is no better game to be playing than EQ2.

Cool, so you'll be paying my subscription fee then, because that's what it will take for you to be the one to decide how I should play the game. Don't forget, I've been subscribed since November 2004, sometimes with multiple accounts at stretches and/or with Station Access.

Also, since you've decided that EQ2 must be treated as a job rather than as a pastime, you will also need to compensate me for my time. I suppose I could pull together some numbers to use to support an invoice, but in the interest of simplifying this transaction, let's just round off to $20K, alright? PayPal will work.

The phrase 'put up or shut up' seems applicable here.

ZachSpastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:03 AM   #22
salty21db

Loremaster

ZachSpastic wrote:

SteelPiston wrote:

Cool, so you'll be paying my subscription fee then, because that's what it will take for you to be the one to decide how I should play the game. Don't forget, I've been subscribed since November 2004, sometimes with multiple accounts at stretches and/or with Station Access.

Also, since you've decided that EQ2 must be treated as a job rather than as a pastime, you will also need to compensate me for my time. I suppose I could pull together some numbers to use to support an invoice, but in the interest of simplifying this transaction, let's just round off to $20K, alright? PayPal will work.

And this is where people like you are far off base in terms of MMOs.

Things to do in game =/= like a job.  I was unaware that if your pastime was building birdhouses you instantly went from a piece of wood to a extordinary birdhouse within minutes.  I was also unaware that in all the old RPG's you complained when it took a lot of your time to level such as FFVII, never heard people complain about how long that took or how many tedious things you had to do over and over again to achieve certain things.  Fact of the matter is the majority of you gamers in this game don't belong in an MMO.  Instant gratification doesn't belong in an MMO, dedicated and rewarding gameplay over time is an MMO or an RPG in general.

QUICK!!!!HURRY!!!!RUSH TO ENDGAME NAO!!!!  Oh look I'm cap level...this games boring...SoE sucks.  Timesinks...things to do...is what makes an MMO.  If you don't feel that way, you shouldn't be playing MMOs imo.  So either play a real MMO (eq1, UO, etc) or play the new instant gratification style that like to call themselves MMOs (WoW, GW2).  Quit coming on boards trying to change games and run them into the ground with your lack of gaming skill and prowess.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:34 AM   #23
Senvilan

Loremaster

salty21db wrote:

ZachSpastic wrote:

SteelPiston wrote:

And this is where people like you are far off base in terms of MMOs.

Things to do in game =/= like a job.  I was unaware that if your pastime was building birdhouses you instantly went from a piece of wood to a extordinary birdhouse within minutes.  I was also unaware that in all the old RPG's you complained when it took a lot of your time to level such as FFVII, never heard people complain about how long that took or how many tedious things you had to do over and over again to achieve certain things.  Fact of the matter is the majority of you gamers in this game don't belong in an MMO.  Instant gratification doesn't belong in an MMO, dedicated and rewarding gameplay over time is an MMO or an RPG in general.

QUICK!!!!HURRY!!!!RUSH TO ENDGAME NAO!!!!  Oh look I'm cap level...this games boring...SoE sucks.  Timesinks...things to do...is what makes an MMO.  If you don't feel that way, you shouldn't be playing MMOs imo.  So either play a real MMO (eq1, UO, etc) or play the new instant gratification style that like to call themselves MMOs (WoW, GW2).  Quit coming on boards trying to change games and run them into the ground with your lack of gaming skill and prowess.

A- freaking - men, to all of your posts in this thread. I'll never understand the "instant gratification" crowd in this genre. MMORPGs have had timesinks since their inception, and even the professed "king" of theme parks, WoW (in the US at least), has quite a few similar timesinks. The only game I can think of that has tried to stray a bit from the more conventional means of "grinding" is Guild Wars 2, and I see people complain as if the game has no feeling of "persistence" or "point", or as if they are completely detached from their characters, much like how one would feel when playing a console game. I played the game, and I didn't get to level 10 before logging off, so I can sympathize with that feeling.

I'm generalizing here, but I'd say it's a no-brainer that people want a continuous stream of stuff to do. They want to work for something and feel rewarded for the 'accomplishments' they have achieved. In a sense, mmorpgs are like virtual life simulations, and just like in life, many of us like to work for something and feel satisifed when we meet our goals. Taking away the tools/options to make those goals for ourselves isn't going to help anything, it only serves to make the progression feel more redundant and the journey less rewarding.

So yeah, a resounding "h*ll no" from me on this suggestion. If anything, give us more goals to strive for and continue to add variables to allow us to progress and individualize ourselves even further in the game. The more the merrier.

Senvilan is offline   Reply With Quote