EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-17-2012, 04:14 AM   #1
Kinya
Server: Splitpaw
Guild: Runnyeye Raiding Club

Fansite Staff

According to:

Piestro wrote:

On Tuesday, April 17, 2012 at 5 AM London Time* the Splitpaw server will come down for Game Update 63: Skyshrine. Expected downtime is approximately 5 hours

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...topic_id=517324

Unfortunately I just logged in to game and there is NO update on Splitpaw server...

So... do we have biggest Fail ever? What happend?

http://babagra.pl - Polish Everquest 2 Fansite

Kinya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:38 AM   #2
Kuroitsuki

Loremaster

Piestro wrote:

On Tuesday, April 17, 2012 at 5 AM London Time* the Splitpaw server will come down for Game Update 63: Skyshrine. Expected downtime is approximately 5 hours

Clearly; we are facing one of 3 scenarios:

1. Mr Piestro got the date right, but borked the time (maybe meaning 5pm UK time, which is 2 hours after the US servers go down)
  2. Mr Piestro got the time right, but got the date wrong and Splitpaw will be patching at 5am UK time on Wednesday.  Meaning that we will be getting the GU nearly a full day late; as usual.  Buh Bai WW Disco, it was fun knowing you.
  3. No one has checked to see if Smed has seen his shadow and whether EU customers face another 6 weeks of wait ^_^
Kuroitsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:39 AM   #3
Whilhelmina
Server: Storms
Guild: Les Furies d Innoruuk

Tester

Best guess posted here is that Piestro misunderstood the answer given to him, this GU being his first in EQ2. Count on 3PM London Time today and if it doesn't go down, then it'll be 5AM tomorrow

Whilhelmina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:43 AM   #4
fatherjules

Loremaster

You know what amazed me this morning.. i was actually surprised the server was not down and the update happening... after five years of play I am still surprised when SOE display their rank incompetence.....  there must be something wrong with me!

fatherjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:26 AM   #5
Helmarf

Loremaster

7 am pacific is 3 pm London time which as usually means that Splitpaw cant raid or do anything on our prime time as usually!!!

Helmarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:03 AM   #6
theriatis

Loremaster

Business as usual for Valor... 4pm - 9pm. No raiding or anything else in the Prime Time. Yeah.

i need a good laugh now and then, too
theriatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:14 AM   #7
bellatrix2009

Loremaster

LOL, no GU? swore i saw it was announced that SP was going down at 5am on the 17th! also swore i read that we all get the GU update on the 17th..noone mention that us EU peepes would might be getting it a day late WHICH WOULD SUCK imo.

ps - can we get some more of them juicy vitality potions for free pls

bellatrix2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:21 AM   #8
DamselInDistress

Champion

[email protected] wrote:

LOL, no GU? swore i saw it was announced that SP was going down at 5am on the 17th! also swore i read that we all get the GU update on the 17th..noone mention that us EU peepes would might be getting it a day late WHICH WOULD SUCK imo.

We'll probably get a double xp day or something like that. Doesn't cost SOE anything and it keeps a few people happy.

DamselInDistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:59 AM   #9
Despak

Loremaster

DamselInDistress wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

We'll probably get a double xp day or something like that. Doesn't cost SOE anything and it keeps a few people happy.

LOL you're having a laugh aren't you?  We can't even get an answer out of them.  All we'll get is a broken Launchpad, a series of workarounds so they don't have to fix it, and a delayed GU so their mates in the US can get all the world firsts etc.

Despak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:02 PM   #10
DamselInDistress

Champion

[email protected] wrote:

DamselInDistress wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

LOL you're having a laugh aren't you?  We can't even get an answer out of them.  All we'll get is a broken Launchpad, a series of workarounds so they don't have to fix it, and a delayed GU so their mates in the US can get all the world firsts etc.

Normally it would be a laugh if it wasn't so bad.  This is precisely why I cannot wait to register with PSS and part ways woth this daft company. 

I for one stopped buying any Sony products and would definitely not play any Sony game ever. I'd rather go back to single player games ...

Old 04-17-2012, 12:11 PM   #11
Dalzhel
Guild: Divine Legend

Loremaster

DamselInDistress wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

DamselInDistress wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Normally it would be a laugh if it wasn't so bad.  This is precisely why I cannot wait to register with PSS and part ways woth this daft company. 

I for one stopped buying any Sony products and would definitely not play any Sony game ever. I'd rather go back to single player games ...

What is really going to change if you register with prosieben? soe will still control when and if they send the update to EU players the only thing you will do is expose your account to possible your account getting deleted if you spend more than 1 year away from eq or dare i say it even worse customer service than SOE.

Dalzhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:13 PM   #12
Despak

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

DamselInDistress wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

DamselInDistress wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

What is really going to change if you register with prosieben? soe will still control when and if they send the update to EU players the only thing you will do is expose your account to possible your account getting deleted if you spend more than 1 year away from eq or dare i say it even worse customer service than SOE.

It's already been stated that account won't be deleted.  I don't think any company could be worse than SoE.  North Korea gives more info to the West than SoE gives to it's so-called customers.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:15 PM   #13
DamselInDistress

Champion

[email protected] wrote:

What will change is this :

1. SOE does not get my money.

2. The support is done by PSS.

3. The customer information is done by PSS.

4. The game stays the same.

All of them are winning points. I'd rather deal with PSS because they are capable of keeping people informed, somehow manage to post dates and times and don't have to go running to mommy to find out why Splitpaw is not updated when the announcements say that the update should have finished already.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:16 PM   #14
Yimway

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

According to:

Piestro wrote:

Unfortunately I just logged in to game and there is NO update on Splitpaw server...

So... do we have biggest Fail ever? What happend?

I gotta be honest, when I first saw this post I wondered if they really meant to say April 18th.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:18 PM   #15
Despak

Loremaster

Would be the first time that a GU went out at different times. Although the current state of SoE and their obvious distate for anything not American I wouldn't be suprised if they added the GU to SC and made us buy it.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:19 PM   #16
Dalzhel
Guild: Divine Legend

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

DamselInDistress wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

DamselInDistress wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

It's already been stated that account won't be deleted.  I don't think any company could be worse than SoE.  North Korea gives more info to the West than SoE gives to it's so-called customers.

yeah they did mention this but reread what they said then read the tos from allaplaya. SOE only mentions accounts at 90 days but does not mention 1 year accounts and they make mention to not to have automated things to delete accounts doesnt mention if they just have a 16 year old CS rep sitting and just removing accounts by hand. until they change the TOS to say diffrent i consider what they said in the TOS a lie. SOE has shown they cannot be trusted.

I can think of a company that was worse CS than SOE remember 989 studios? That was worse than anything i have ever seen and when SOE took over for them it was like a step up in the level of CS.

Dalzhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:20 PM   #17
Endrian
Server: Runnyeye
Guild: Shooting Stars

Loremaster

nice two finger's to the eu players no wonder sony are going down the drain   congratz on lieing to the eu players again soe 

Endrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:21 PM   #18
DamselInDistress

Champion

[email protected] wrote:

nice two finger's to the eu players no wonder sony are going down the drain   congratz on lieing to the eu players again soe 

I don't think it's lieing, it's just pure incompetence.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:22 PM   #19
Yimway

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Would be the first time that a GU went out at different times. Although the current state of SoE and their obvious distate for anything not American I wouldn't be suprised if they added the GU to SC and made us buy it.

While I understand why you feel that way, I really don't believe SoE has a distaste for you guys.  SoE simply has too many balls in the air and way too few resources.  Thats why they must/need to outsource more things like they are doing. 

The people involved with the game are still passionate and doing their best to make something they're proud of, they're just not able to do it without alot of bumps along the way due to resource constraints and often times trying to be more ambitious than their resource pool can reasonable allow.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:24 PM   #20
Despak

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

While I understand why you feel that way, I really don't believe SoE has a distaste for you guys.  SoE simply has too many balls in the air and way too few resources.  Thats why they must/need to outsource more things like they are doing. 

The people involved with the game are still passionate and doing their best to make something they're proud of, they're just not able to do it without alot of bumps along the way due to resource constraints and often times trying to be more ambitious than their resource pool can reasonable allow.

Surely 20 seconds to log on to their own forums and post an update/date change and apology wouldn't take that many resources?

Old 04-17-2012, 12:27 PM   #21
DamselInDistress

Champion

[email protected] wrote:

Surely 20 seconds to log on to their own forums and post an update/date change and apology wouldn't take that many resources?

+1.

Soe knows very well we dislike not knowing what happens and it takes a few minutes to make up a message and post it.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #22
Yimway

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

They're just arriving at work about this time...  I'm sure we'll have an update once they've had a few minutes to trace it down.  It is 8:30am there now, and this update was scheduled to start after the SD office was already closed.

Like I said previously, I'd bet that they put the wrong date on the update and they intended to run it on US servers first, then region servers.  Likely a cut and paste error and changed just the time and not the date.  I could be wrong, but I honestly questioned it when I read the announcement yesterday.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:50 PM   #23
Endrian

Loremaster

On Wednesday, April 18, 2012 at 5 AM London Time* the Splitpaw server will come down for Game Update 63: Skyshrine. Expected downtime is approximately 5 hours.

*Convert to your local time

no ww disco for us again 

soe is fast becomeing one big joke  unless you come from the usa  you get  **** on 

Old 04-17-2012, 12:54 PM   #24
Pimmy
Guild: Amenta

Loremaster

SOE are as professional and monkeys are in a jungle.

Again they prove to us that they cannot handle even the simplest of updates and communicating it.

Also they are not international. They are US based dimwits.

Pimmy (90 Shadow Knight/Alchemist/Adorner)

Nysse (90 Warden/Sage)

Rutto (90 Defiler)

Varjotar (90 Troubador)

Villi (Beastlord)

Splitpaw server
Pimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:56 PM   #25
DonnyOddlegs

Loremaster

Incompetence or disinformation? Either is equally likely given the way SOE have treated European customers over the last few months.

DonnyOddlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:57 PM   #26
DamselInDistress

Champion

DonnyOddlegs wrote:

Incompetence or disinformation? Either is equally likely given the way SOE have treated European customers over the last few months.

I am gonna go with incompetence on this one.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:58 PM   #27
DonnyOddlegs

Loremaster

And btw the launcher is STILL broken, in spite of a fix promised for today.

DonnyOddlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:00 PM   #28
Endrian

Loremaster

thay relly doing a good job of pushing us out of the game pss1 now this.  well done soe  kill off the rest of our allready dead server   

Old 04-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #29
Endrian

Loremaster

DonnyOddlegs wrote:

And btw the launcher is STILL broken, in spite of a fix promised for today.

when dont thay lie to us  all most hanks are good for 

Old 04-17-2012, 01:05 PM   #30
Piestro

Community Relations

Sorry about that folks, I copy and pasted poorly and put the date a day early. Obviously this is an inconvinience for you folks and I do apologize. I'll tell the story of how the error occured just because I think it may have some points of interest to some of you folks.

Localized versions of updates of course need their own independent tests by Q&A to determine that everything that should be included is and everything is working properly. The pernicious nature of bugs means that often times something as simple as a localization flag can cause unpredictable effects. So internally here we get confirmation of times and actions (what we refer to as "green lights") at different times. As often is the case, the localized versions of green lights come in a bit later than the English language version because they have extra steps they need to go through for localization purposes.

So the green light had come in for the US servers and that downtime had been posted. The green light had not come through for localized versions yet but I had a good idea of what time the patch would be scheduled for. Now this is where my error comes in, in that I wanted to get the news up as quickly as possible so I took the messaging for the US downtime and put the time in for Splitpaw.

It was dumb, but a good learning lesson for me (admittedly not the first time it's happened).

Localization is complicated, it adds an extra number of moving parts to an already complicated process. Also there are all sorts of value questions that need to be asked such as "do we patch the servers at the same time (which will tend to fall in a less convenient time for players in different time zones) or do we patch them at a time more convenient to the players that server is mostly intended for?" This isn't an easy question because it does have the appearance of unfairness either way it is answered.

We believe it's worth doing. From a personal standpoint I've been a member of guilds from all around the world and this has helped shaped me as a person. It's one of the things I love about the internet and MMOs. Meeting people with wildly different life experiences and recognizing both that which is different and that which is universal. Hopefully I'll support this a little better in the future.

Thanks,

EverQuest Community Relations Manager

Piestro is offline   Reply With Quote