EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-06-2012, 02:30 PM   #1
Bauglir

Loremaster

So as a under-geared 90 Conjuror who's an alternate/backup raider I find myself doing the following unless I log an alt:

1.  I log in, check my auctions

2.  Ask people in guild if there's any groups or if there is a raid scheduled I ask if I am going to be needed.

3.  90% of the time there are no groups and/or I won't be needed on raid so I go off to solo something to kill time and earn AA.  Now I'm not in raid gear so keep this in mind.

4.  Every few days I decide to do more then just keep guild chat open and spam LFG, I'll proceed to soloing.

On those days what I end up doing is going to Clesith soloing the place with my firepet then I go to Madiens and solo that with earth pet.  If I still have time after that and don't feel tired of the same old stuff I will go to Libary and solo what I can there.  On a good night I end up with 20 - 25 plat (if I get a spell that sells on AH) and an AA (if I buy a potion from station store and use it 2 AA).

I am averaging again, 1 raid invite every 9 days, 1 sucessful group in a DoV zone every 5 days.  I'm doing a ton of soloing.

I have to admit, in my memory, no group in EQ1 usually meant no play, logout and watch the news or whatever.  So based on that memory I have to say EQ2 at least allows me to do something.  Its really too bad though that dungeon finder never worked well that could have ment gettign shards at least for something or working on some small aspect of gear advancement.

I asked some players along the way about finding groups and learned the following over the last few months about my server:

1.  People don't usually group with people they don't know.

2.  Many players are just logging in for raids not for groups.

3.  In general if your not putting out 100k plus for DPS your not getting a group because the groups are all PLing or Epicing beastloard alts and they want fast groups. 

So while gameplay experiences will vary, anyone agree with this/have a similar experience?

Yeah, I'm not 320 AA and i'm not putting out 100k+ dps.. so could be just me.. SMILEY

Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:37 PM   #2
shots01

Lord

HI there.  Threads like this get me in trouble.

I am on Freeport with one lvl 90 Fury and 18 alts.

I am on Oasis with no lvl 90's and 5 alts.

Oasis used to be my home server.  The problems you are stating are worse for under 90 players.  No groups, solo or don't play.

Freeport is a little better because there is a better spread level wise.

My 90 Fury is only 109 CM and doesn't have 320 aas.  She doesn't even have 200 yet.  So I only group with friends or run the RW once in a while.

She doesn't do anywhere near 100k dps.  But again, I don't raid and I run with friends.  Occasionally I will join a raid group if I know some of the people.

But mostly I spent my time playing with hubby, crafting, or playing my lowbies.

shots01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #3
Bauglir

Loremaster

I was thinking of getting my wife into this game but I have only been back since september '11, I want to make sure I am staying.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:18 PM   #4
Nrgy

Lord

I usually set personal goals before I go out and /LFG, but they are only my goals and not required to /LFG in anyway.  My goals are 277 AA and crafted Thurgadin/RyGorr gear and jewelery upgrades from EW quests.  That might not be 100k DPS, but it is > 50k DPS on a Conjy to be sure.  It is also more than enough CM to raid DOV launch EM raids w/o any issue at all.  I normally find I have too many things to do when I am not raiding to catchup in other areas. 

Grab'n a group is normally easier as a Healer/Tank/Utility, DPS might find it easier to start a group, but remember there are 3 DPS slots open in most groups so it's more a matter of timing, first come first served.

Nrgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:57 PM   #5
Gennifer

Loremaster

I think some of this could be solved if the dungeon finder:

1. was used. To get people to use it they have to trust it will put together a good group. Unfortunately, it didn't quite do that at the beginning so people don't really trust it now.

2. spanned across servers and not just for your server. I have seen dungeon finders work very, very well in other games. But they also spanned across all the servers and not just one server.

Also, I think with the disappearing of crit mit, lots more people will be able to join up in groups (at level 90, I mean). Crit mit in 6 people groups (not really talking about raids as I don't have exp. with them in DoV expansion - I stopped raiding after SF) really requires crit mit at least for Kael and Drun and sometimes it's hard to gear up for that.

Gennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:23 PM   #6
Alazarz
Server: Nagafen

Loremaster

You sound pretty discouraged about not getting into raids and small instances.I guarantee you will get tons of groups and/or get invited to raid if you concentrate on ONE toon until you:

1.)Have learned to play him/her.I mean really learn to play the toon until everything is 2nd nature.

2.)make friends, find a little instance cliqe to get into.. mabey with other undergeared/AA toons.

3.)Get geared out as best as you can with ry'gorr shard armor.Grinding shards isnt that hard to do.

4.)Get to AA cap.

5.)This is step 5...After you're capped on AA and have decent gear..SHOW them you can put in work when that rare raid invite comes your way.

6.)Learn to say NO!! Because you'll have everyone asking you to come dps instances!! It will get annoying. (if you didnt fail on step5)

If all of this sounds like to much of a hassle..then it must not be that big of a deal to you, and it truely doesnt matter and you're just here complaining.Wich.. by your long post you do care.. get to work!

EDIT: Some of my best friends in EQ2 are altaholics, they never have 1 geared toon, but they do have every class in the game and they never get invited for things.Because they are all over place and wont sit and make one toon worthwhile.And they even complain about lack of groups/raids!

my 2c

regards

xav

Alazarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:57 PM   #7
Deago

Loremaster

My avg 90 day goes like this:

1. Log in one level 90 toon

2. Blast through the lv 90 tso zones for plat (simple and quick) and library.

3. Do PR if up

4. Repeat with another 90.

I do have some raid gear on main simply because of all the plat.

*shrugs* lol

Old 02-06-2012, 05:08 PM   #8
Alazarz

Loremaster

Deago wrote:

My avg 90 day goes like this:

1. Log in one level 90 toon

2. Blast through the lv 90 tso zones for plat (simple and quick) and library.

3. Do PR if up

4. Repeat with another 90.

I do have some raid gear on main simply because of all the plat.

*shrugs* lol

haha I think that's everyones routine.I think the OP was more frustrated about the lack of groups and/or raids.Not nessecarily upset about having raid gear or not.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:10 PM   #9
hoosierdaddy

Loremaster

Xaviour wrote:

EDIT: Some of my best friends in EQ2 are altaholics, they never have 1 geared toon, but they do have every class in the game and they never get invited for things.Because they are all over place and wont sit and make one toon worthwhile.And they even complain about lack of groups/raids!

my 2c

regards

xav

This cannot be empasized enough.

I've always said that you can either have one or two great toons or a slew of mediocre toons. This does not, of course, apply to raid guild alts, but even then I do not believe many people can play multiple classes simultaneously to their full potential.

Concentrate on gearing out and learning your class if you intend to continue with the Conjuror. Visit other fansites and class forums where people are discussing the class and how to play it optimally. Even after playing my warlock for 7+ years, I am still always seeking new and better ways to contribute to groups and raids.

A guildie recently defected from AB to Freeport and returned to chat with one of his alts. He mentioned how much more populated the FP server was and how much easier it was for him to get a group than on AB, because in his opinion only players that knew each other would be willing to group on Ab.

I informed him that I had only arrived on the AB server six months before and, in addition to easily getting groups with my warlock, I've rolled a Pally from scratch and grinded him the hard way to 90/320-->PQ's-->Ry'Gorr-->MT'ing EM raids. It's because when I did get an invite, I made the most of the opportunity, and people begain putting me on their friend's list and re-inviting me on the basis of our past experiences.

If all else fails, roll a Bard or Chanter and you'll never again be without a group.

"The human race is the most stupid and unfair kind of race. A lot of the runners don't even get decent sneakers or clean drinking water. Some runners are born with a massive head start, every possible help along the way and still the referees seem to be on their side. It's not surprising a lot of people have given up competing altogether and gone to sit in the grandstand, eat junk and shout abuse. What the human race needs is a lot more streakers." -- Banksy
hoosierdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:13 PM   #10
Deago

Loremaster

Everytime I play a dirge I want to break to out the wine and cheese.  SMILEY  j/k

Old 02-06-2012, 05:43 PM   #11
Miss_Jackie

Loremaster

Bauglir wrote:

I asked some players along the way about finding groups and learned the following over the last few months about my server:

3.  In general if your not putting out 100k plus for DPS your not getting a group because the groups are all PLing or Epicing beastloard alts and they want fast groups. 

On Everfrost, at least for me, my guild occasionally invites me. And always invites me to raids if I happen to be on. I play a mystic, so healers are always wanted. If there are no level 90 groups going on, I tend to help out the lowbies in the guild with their quests or complete quests in my journal (because it always seems to be full *sigh*).

Miss_Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:51 PM   #12
Gloriana01

Loremaster

You left out some fun stuff I like to do. I have a level 90 mystic with 300AAs. I took a break from the game, so I only have 105 crit mit. It's making it tough to get into raids (even pick ups) or doing all the heroic content (TOT, for example). I am a level 90 provisioner. I also have a 90 warlock on a second account who is a level 90 tailor.

Login.

Do the tradeskill apprentice quests on both characters (still no reactant)

Check the broker...obsessed with collection quests (completed 480 on my main!) see if there are any great deals

Check the time - can I make the RW PQ? If so, do that.

Try to get a group, have pretty good luck. Run a lot of Fortress Spire, Pools and Ascent.

Try to get a PR duo for cash (easy to get, generally)

If I can't get a group:

I used to work on the Great Divide/EW quests, but I finished those...so it's a bit of a challenge how to get the last 20 AA. Sometimes, if I don't get a group, I go finish up random quests in my book (a few stragglers in MoY, KJ, etc). Random page quests...still need a few in Maj Dul, hate Maj Dul so keep putting it off.

Faction work - otters in EW, Thurgadin TS for the shawl quest

Decorating.

Work on my lowbie tradeskillers (40 weaponsmith, 25 woodworker)

Level my little troub or coercer (seriously! ha)

Gloriana01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #13
shots01

Lord

I am in so much disagreement with most of you.  I have one lvl 90, my Fury, who is not aa capped, etc.

tbc gotta go.

shots01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:28 PM   #14
CoLD MeTaL

Loremaster

Xaviour wrote:

...5.)This is step 4...After you're capped on AA and have decent gear..SHOW them you can put in work when that rare raid invite comes your way.

And this is why the OP is having problems getting a group.

People dont want to take you unless you are capped on AA and in better gear than the zone drops, which begs the question "Why run the zones?"

Once $OE figures it out and turns down the zones for mere mortals, then they might (but I doubt it) lose the top 5% of the playerbase, but will get in exchange a new bottom 50%.

CoLD MeTaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:55 PM   #15
Alazarz

Loremaster

CoLD MeTaL wrote:

Xaviour wrote:

...5.)This is step 4...After you're capped on AA and have decent gear..SHOW them you can put in work when that rare raid invite comes your way.

People dont want to take you unless you are capped on AA and in better gear than the zone drops, which begs the question "Why run the zones?"

Once $OE figures it out and turns down the zones for mere mortals, then they might (but I doubt it) lose the top 5% of the playerbase, but will get in exchange a new bottom 50%.

See steps 1 & 2 first haha.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:22 PM   #16
Bauglir

Loremaster

CoLD MeTaL wrote:

Xaviour wrote:

Agreed and I am the OP.  Honestly when I hit 320 AA on my conj I will be logging in to check my auctions or look for a raid.  If I can't find a raid I will likely log my alt.  Once my alt is at 90/320 aa I will likely log both for looking for raids.

If I can't find a raid and this goes on for months I will likely go free to play.

I have decided not to do the farm plat for SLR option.

I'm not sure how SoE can fix this but I am fairly certain cross server working dungeon finder is one way, another way to to then add some higher end gear choices on the shard vendor or/and do X2 dungeon finder as well.

However, I doubt this will happen.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:26 PM   #17
Epehjr
Server: Butcherblock
Guild: Oakwright

Loremaster

Xaviour wrote:

You sound pretty discouraged about not getting into raids and small instances.I guarantee you will get tons of groups and/or get invited to raid if you concentrate on ONE toon until you:

1.)Have learned to play him/her.I mean really learn to play the toon until everything is 2nd nature.

2.)make friends, find a little instance cliqe to get into.. mabey with other undergeared/AA toons.

3.)Get geared out as best as you can with ry'gorr shard armor.Grinding shards isnt that hard to do.

4.)Get to AA cap.

This captian obvious stuff made me LOL.    The playerbase for this game is receding at such a rate that you could be completely rygorr'd out with 300+ aa and still not be able to find a group. 

Epehjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:33 PM   #18
Epehjr
Server: Butcherblock
Guild: Oakwright

Loremaster

Bauglir wrote:

CoLD MeTaL wrote:

Agreed and I am the OP.  Honestly when I hit 320 AA on my conj I will be logging in to check my auctions or look for a raid.  If I can't find a raid I will likely log my alt.  Once my alt is at 90/320 aa I will likely log both for looking for raids.

If I can't find a raid and this goes on for months I will likely go free to play.

I have decided not to do the farm plat for SLR option.

I'm not sure how SoE can fix this but I am fairly certain cross server working dungeon finder is one way, another way to to then add some higher end gear choices on the shard vendor or/and do X2 dungeon finder as well.

However, I doubt this will happen.

The only way I see a LFD feature ever working in EQ2 is if does a better job of assembling a group with the right classes and the big one is to add ITEM LEVELS to level 90 gear.

Personally, I don't believe SOE is willing to put the amount of effort into LFD for it to truly work.

Epehjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:40 PM   #19
CoLD MeTaL

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

The only way I see a LFD feature ever working in EQ2 is if does a better job of assembling a group with the right classes and the big one is to add ITEM LEVELS to level 90 gear.

Personally, I don't believe SOE is willing to put the amount of effort into LFD for it to truly work.

OR dungeons have to be doable by normal people in normal gear.

CoLD MeTaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:37 PM   #20
japanfour

Loremaster

1.) Check auctions, revise auctions.

2.) Check guild roster/friends list for a healer that I believe is competant ( I am a tank so yeah)

3.) Start talking to people on my friends list about running a zone, or a goal I have. ( usually I form a roster of competant people that I can group with. I personally use my friends list as a "people I can trust in groups/fun raids" list.

4.) form the group and attempt whatever zone/goal in mind.

5.) If I cant do that successfully, I usually just pvp, or log on an alt.

After doing steps 2-4 for a while (as long as you are good at your class) steps 2-4 will do themselves for you as you log on. I will say there is backlash if you dont feel like grouping, but yeah after a while of doing that, people will just start contacting you when you log on, and if you are skilled you will end up having a reputation and wont have problems getting a group(granted you are a moral and fair person to group with).

japanfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:39 PM   #21
Alazarz

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Xaviour wrote:

4.)Get to AA cap.

This captian obvious stuff made me LOL.    The playerbase for this game is receding at such a rate that you could be completely rygorr'd out with 300+ aa and still not be able to find a group. 

well, he isn't taking the 'obvious' steps to correct his problem.So I thought id play captain obvious =D

Old 02-07-2012, 05:59 AM   #22
bks6721

Loremaster

Bauglir wrote:

So as a under-geared 90 Conjuror who's an alternate/backup raider I find myself doing the following unless I log an alt:

1.  I log in, check my auctions

2.  Ask people in guild if there's any groups or if there is a raid scheduled I ask if I am going to be needed.

3.  90% of the time there are no groups and/or I won't be needed on raid so I go off to solo something to kill time and earn AA.  Now I'm not in raid gear so keep this in mind.

4.  Every few days I decide to do more then just keep guild chat open and spam LFG, I'll proceed to soloing.

On those days what I end up doing is going to Clesith soloing the place with my firepet then I go to Madiens and solo that with earth pet.  If I still have time after that and don't feel tired of the same old stuff I will go to Libary and solo what I can there.  On a good night I end up with 20 - 25 plat (if I get a spell that sells on AH) and an AA (if I buy a potion from station store and use it 2 AA).

I am averaging again, 1 raid invite every 9 days, 1 sucessful group in a DoV zone every 5 days.  I'm doing a ton of soloing.

I have to admit, in my memory, no group in EQ1 usually meant no play, logout and watch the news or whatever.  So based on that memory I have to say EQ2 at least allows me to do something.  Its really too bad though that dungeon finder never worked well that could have ment gettign shards at least for something or working on some small aspect of gear advancement.

So while gameplay experiences will vary, anyone agree with this/have a similar experience?

Yeah, I'm not 320 AA and i'm not putting out 100k+ dps.. so could be just me..

this is just my opinion so don't take it the wrong way..

if my guild didn't need/want me, I wouldn't stay in that guild.

I am the guild leader of a very small guild.  None of us group outside the guild on a regular basis.  Our focus is fun, not end game gear.  We do not parse anything.  Posting parses in guild chat is risking a /kick. 

In addation to the normal 90 activities like farming tso zones, pr, soh for plat, my wife and I also dou TofS, Pools, Ascent most days.  We can get half way through ISK by just douing.

Sounds quick and boring right?  Well we have 4 sets of tank/healers we can do all of that on.  Some people in my guild love to solo, its all they ever want to do.  Some people like to level slow.   When I solo at 90, its either for some easy plat or something like Deathtoll.   With 10 level 90's at 300+ aa I still haven't done all of the DoV solo quests on any of them.

all I'm saying is, figure out exactly what you want to do in the game and find a guild that suits you better.  Those people that ONLY log in to raid then log out don't enjoy the game.  Why play with people that are in a rush to log out as quick as they can?

bks6721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:13 AM   #23
Rendoir

Loremaster

A day in the life of this 6 year EQ2 vet with a ton of 90s.

Log in. Say hi to one or 2 friends, by some station cash with the mountain of plat I have. Log out.

Rendoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:31 AM   #24
Andemon

Loremaster

1) Tradeskill dailies2) Faction dailies3) Keep an eye on RW and potential Cella groups4) Do a few writs for the guild5) Do the world events and maybe some other quests6) Get more DM tokens so I can buy those sweet 48 slot backpacks for alts

...and then I usually run out of time. I don't remember the last time I had time for groups. Must've been over a month ago.

Andemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #25
Hateeternal

Loremaster

To the OP regarding lvl90 grouping:

It`s pretty simple, if you really want to go into a dungeon you HAVE to form a group of your own.

It`s always the same, I see people shouting "class xyz LFG, pst..." into 1-9 or 80-90 ALL DAY LONG.

And in the end they quit complaining that there are no groups.... but that`s just not how it works anymore.

First of all: Choose a destination. No group will form for "maybe-this-maybe-that-dungeon"....

Pick a zone you`d like to do or you need something of.

Then scan your friendslist, ask who would like to join. Then ask guild who wants to join

(don`t ask if there is a group YOU can join, that will almost never happen!)

Now you got at least 2 or 3 more people in the group. Fill the rest with an aimed search in the channels-

And hafe fun in your deungeon. SMILEY

best wishes

SOE Schedule:

8:00: see what isn't broken yet and break it

10:00: ban players complaining about it on the board

11:00: implement stuff noone wants, that breaks other stuff

-repeat-
Hateeternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:58 AM   #26
Griffildur
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: First Lords

Loremaster

I have to say, a day in the life of an EQ2  player, for me, means logging into SWTOR and NOT giving SOE money SMILEY.

it's awesome ...

Old 02-07-2012, 11:19 AM   #27
Pimmy
Server: Splitpaw
Guild: Amenta

Loremaster

I play in a raiding guild and recently I have not had time to log in my outside raids to do groups. But when I do go looking for a group I usually find one with some toon I have. Though I have to admit mostly not the toon I'm logged in. SMILEY I have five 90/300+AA toons and 90/27xAA beastlord. I've had no trouble getting my alts to high AA numbers by playing a lot on double exp weekends. I don't bother to grind AA on non-double exp.

But if you really want a group to go do some zone, you better form up one yourself. Thats how you will get a group going. And if you gear aint that good yet, dont go in Drunder/EoW. I've taken pretty sadly geared people through Iceshard Keep with my tank, but it takes time if DPS is low.

Thurgadin armor is very very very easy to get and its enough to run most of the instances to get some nice jewelry upgrades and Kael zones for gems for Ry'gorr armor. After you got some Ry'gorr you start hitting x2 raids and EM Kraytocs raids for raid loot. Kraytocs is so easy x4 raid with some HM geared toons ripping the zone apart.

People who complain on channels that they cant get a group will not get a group in the future. People will remember complainers and probably wont have them in their groups.

Just my 2 cp...

Pimmy (90 Shadow Knight/Alchemist/Adorner)

Nysse (90 Warden/Sage)

Rutto (90 Defiler)

Varjotar (90 Troubador)

Villi (Beastlord)

Splitpaw server
Pimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:35 AM   #28
Akamaru

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

I have to say, a day in the life of an EQ2  player, for me, means logging into SWTOR and NOT giving SOE money .

it's awesome ...

Yeah, Must be pretty awesome if you're still logging into the EQ2 forums.

Akamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:03 PM   #29
Griffildur
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: First Lords

Loremaster

[email protected]_old wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

I have to say, a day in the life of an EQ2  player, for me, means logging into SWTOR and NOT giving SOE money .

it's awesome ...

Yeah, Must be pretty awesome if you're still logging into the EQ2 forums.

Oh don't kid yourself, the forum is only for when i cannot actually play for various reasons, like work etc.

Now, on a more serious note why are you trolling ?

Old 02-07-2012, 12:19 PM   #30
Gilasil

Loremaster

Many level 90s I know nowadays have a similar experience except delete the following:

1.  All references to raids. 

2.  All references to soloing PR.

3.  Pretty much any reference to any DoV dungeon.

The gap in this game seems to be getting pretty wide.

Gilasil is offline   Reply With Quote