EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-30-2010, 01:49 PM   #1
Jedi4x4

Loremaster

Ok, help me out here. My guild is looking to come over the EQ2 for a few months (6-7) and we're wanting to get into raiding as fast as possible.

Not to push progression, or get loot super quick or anything.  We just want to actually enjoy raiding.

I've read that The Shadow Odyssey has "scalable" raids, but I have a few questions on exactly how it works:

1.) Is there a minimum level requirement for these raids?

2.) Is there a mentor system in place to boost everyone in the raid up to the highest level in the raid?

3.) Are the raids going to be possible (difficult is ok) without the higher level spells, gear, etc...

Thanks for the help! 

Jedi4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:54 PM   #2
Barx
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Mayhem

Loremaster

TSO has scalable heroic instances, not raids. There's only a very few raids in game that scale based on level. IIRC, the old "guild raid" series that starts in qeynos/freeport scales up to a certain point. The Sundered Splitpaw raids may also scale, although I don't remember. I think that's it when it comes to raid zones that scale.

The vast majority of raids in this game are fixed-level. Many have minimum levels to even zone in, and being fixed-level have levels that they were intended to be done at. The majority of them start at L50.

Re #2, there is no way to mentor up in level; the mentor system only allows you to lower your effectivel evel, not increase it.

Re #3 it depends on your level and the individual target. Once your're 5-10 levels higher than the mobs they become easier even in relatively poor gear and spells. Some may still be a challenge in terms of learning their scripts alone.

Barx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:07 PM   #3
Jedi4x4

Loremaster

great! this is exactly what I need to know.

One more question:

about how long (hours) does it take to level up to 50 now with all the changes they've made to the game?

Old 07-30-2010, 02:10 PM   #4
Anastasie

Loremaster

You can level to 90 in less than a week - I've seen it done in a matter of days

Anastasie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:18 PM   #5
Jedi4x4

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Ok, but how many hours per day is that? SMILEY

We'll be playing about 4 hours per week, and would like to be 50 within 2 months.

Is that reasonable?

Old 07-30-2010, 02:19 PM   #6
Barx

Loremaster

Jedi4x4 wrote:

great! this is exactly what I need to know.

One more question:

about how long (hours) does it take to level up to 50 now with all the changes they've made to the game?

That can vary a lot. If you're starting now and refer each other using the "refer-a-friend" tool, you'll get a hefty XP bonus for 90 days that can make it go faster.

Even without the XP bonus getting to L50 doesn't take a huge time investment, especially if you're grouping and just mowing through stuff. A few days maybe.

T5 (the stuff at L45-50) has a good amount of different raid targets that you'll be able to do, however they're also EQ2's oldest raids, so they may show their age. T6 (around L60) has some pretty fun raids like Court of Al'Afaz (one of my favorites), although there's only a few raid zones initially, with a few more that you can unlock as you work the older ones.

T7 (~L70) is the first tier that I would say truly has a wide variety of raids. This tier has both the Kingdom of Sky raids as well as the Echoes of Faydwer raids, and there's a lot of content you can chew through.

T8 is somewhat similar to T7, although the content is more strongly tiered (with easy vs harder separated by zone in Kunark raids and easy vs harder more as you progress through the zone for TSO content).

What you do will depend on whether you just want to get into raiding anything immediately, or whether you want to aim for a specific tier to raid in. There's still a number of lower-level (L50 and below) contested epic mobs that you can raid alongside or before the T5 zones, as long as the mob is up.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:21 PM   #7
Barx

Loremaster

Jedi4x4 wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Ok, but how many hours per day is that?

We'll be playing about 4 hours per week, and would like to be 50 within 2 months.

Is that reasonable?

4 hours per week is a pretty light load for EQ2, but at that rate 2 months gives you 32 hours of play, that should be more than sufficient to get to L50.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:25 PM   #8
Jedi4x4

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

4 hours per week is a pretty light load for EQ2, but at that rate 2 months gives you 32 hours of play, that should be more than sufficient to get to L50.

Yeah it's a light load, but it's the *minimum* we're requiring of members.  Obviously we hope players will play more than that.

Right now we just want to raid *anything*.  Is there a list somewhere of the things we can raid pre-50?

Old 07-30-2010, 02:33 PM   #9
Barx

Loremaster

Jedi4x4 wrote:

Right now we just want to raid *anything*.  Is there a list somewhere of the things we can raid pre-50?

This page on EQ2i will be your friend -- http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Raid_Timeline

It's listed in reverse-order of tier, so the earliest stuff is at the bottom right. There may be a couple contested mobs on there that were changed to heroic but not updated on that page, you can check the mob's page by clicking the blue links to see.

Once you hit 50, I highly recommend the Deception questline -- it starts with the Draconic language quest and leads up to a final concluding battle on what was the original newbie area, the Isle of Refuge.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:35 PM   #10
Jedi4x4

Loremaster

Jedi4x4 wrote:

This page on EQ2i will be your friend -- http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Raid_Timeline

It's listed in reverse-order of tier, so the earliest stuff is at the bottom right. There may be a couple contested mobs on there that were changed to heroic but not updated on that page, you can check the mob's page by clicking the blue links to see.

Once you hit 50, I highly recommend the Deception questline -- it starts with the Draconic language quest and leads up to a final concluding battle on what was the original newbie area, the Isle of Refuge.

Fantasic!  Thanks everyone for all the help!

Old 07-30-2010, 02:38 PM   #11
Hene

Loremaster

Jedi4x4 wrote:

Yeah it's a light load, but it's the *minimum* we're requiring of members.  Obviously we hope players will play more than that.

Definitely not a challenging, or particularly fun raid, but you can do the guild raid in Qeynos or Freeport (maybe the other cities as well) starting at lv 20.  The raid will scale to your level up to 70 I believe, check out the related quests here http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Shattered...d_Confrontation or here http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...topic_id=346817

Hene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:41 PM   #12
Jedi4x4

Loremaster

Hene wrote:

Jedi4x4 wrote:

Definitely not a challenging, or particularly fun raid, but you can do the guild raid in Qeynos or Freeport (maybe the other cities as well) starting at lv 20.  The raid will scale to your level up to 70 I believe, check out the related quests here http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Shattered...d_Confrontation or here http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...topic_id=346817

How many players is this raid for? 24?

Old 07-30-2010, 05:35 PM   #13
Estean1

Loremaster

The city guild raids are x2 which means its for 2 groups = 12 players.   This is not the norm.   Most raids are x4 or 24 people.