EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Support Forums > Tech Area > General Tech Support Questions
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-18-2008, 11:55 AM   #1
Burnout

Loremaster

loads the same two files over and over - on each start of the pachter

char_anm_soga.vpk

char_soga.vpk

Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:29 PM   #2
TSR-DanielH

Customer Service

Are you using Windows Vista?  Is this a new game install or were you playing on this install before and this is a periodic update?  Do you have an antivirus or firewall on that computer?

Usually when we see this its a Vista error and can be corrected by following these steps:

1. Right click on the program launch icon2. Left click on "Properties".3. In the new window that pops up click on the "Compatibility" tab.4. In the "Compatibility Mode" area check the box next to "Run this program in compatibility mode for:"5. In the drop down list make certain that "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)" is selected.6. Under "Privilege Level" make certain that the box next to "Run this program as administrator" is checked.7. Click on "Apply" then click on "Ok".8. Right click on the icon and select "Run as Administrator"

Please give us a little more information if that doesn't work, or if you're not running Vista.

Technical Support Representative

Sony Online Entertainment
TSR-DanielH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 02:10 PM   #3
Galim

General

Im getting same problem.  Using Vista.  Done everything you have said, started EQ2, patched the Soga files mentioned in OP.  Then I ran a full file scan and the patcher has patched the Soga files again...

If I log into Norrath I get maybe 5 mins of game time, then EQ2 crashes.

Edit:  Only started happening after TSO install.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:13 PM   #4
TSR-DanielH

Customer Service

Have you tried locating and deleting the files that it is getting stuck on?  That may allow the patcher to complete.  You may also need to remove the read-only flag from the game directory.  You can do that by following these steps:

1. Navigate to the Sony folder (Default: C:Program FilesSony)2. Right click the 'Sony' folder and select 'properties'3. Go to the 'General' tab4. Uncheck the box that says 'read-only' at the bottom of that window5. Select 'apply to all files/folders' when prompted

Old 11-18-2008, 02:34 PM   #5
Galim

General

Done that.  Still the same.  After I unchecked the read-only box, clicked apply then navigated back away from the folder, I tried to check the folder details again, and the read-only box had a blue square in it...ie neither a tick nor blank.  Im not entirely sure what it means, but either way its still having issues patching the SOGA files even tho I deleted them first.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:46 PM   #6
Dartanianx

Lord

Patcher completes for me each time but redownloads these 2 files everytime its ran. Done all of the above. The files download again when exit and restart.

Also just noticed unable to run 2 clients on same machine. Will not complete the file downloads for the 2nd account as those files now remain in a loop

Old 11-18-2008, 02:49 PM   #7
HelixHibrow

Loremaster

I am trying to patch on a Vista machine.  I have started the program many times and it crashes everytime.  It does not crash at the same place everytime, always different. I have completed the instructions given above with no success.  Hoping there is another option in the works.

HelixHibrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:33 PM   #8
bradamante

Loremaster

I don't think this is a Vista issue as I have 2 PC's both having to patch the SOGA.vpk files each time, one on XP and one on Vista 64.

I have been in game once already since the Expansion launch, still having to patch these 2 files to both machines.

bradamante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:00 PM   #9
Mirdo

Loremaster

I'm having the same problem:

Crashing after approx 10 minutes in game. Whe I re-run the game, the patcher downloads the same 2 files. They complete and the game starts. After a while I crash again and repeat the process to get back in.

I tried the solution suggested but it has not helped.

OS is Vista ultimate, patched up to date.

Mirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:04 PM   #10
Qanyena

Loremaster

ok found a solution that worked. Unchecked optional live content and patcher completed with 2 accounts. Didn't update again when I reran.

Qanyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:06 PM   #11
Pimmy
Server: Splitpaw
Guild: Amenta

Loremaster

Patching problem here too, running Vista 64. done all the recommended things and still keeps happening. Also Moors keeps crashing all the time  :/

Is there any way to reset the patcher???? Any ini files that it caches for this info etc.. anything to delete other than the two SOGA files it keeps downloading all the time ?

Pimmy (90 Shadow Knight/Alchemist/Adorner)

Nysse (90 Warden/Sage)

Rutto (90 Defiler)

Varjotar (90 Troubador)

Villi (Beastlord)

Splitpaw server
Pimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:10 PM   #12
MadLuna

Loremaster

Got same problems and tried the things described above. Noticed that some of the previous posters are on EU servers and this problem seems to appear now and then on those servers on some random files.

MadLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:30 PM   #13
Kiara

Community Relations

Hey all!  They're currently working on a fix for this SMILEY

Should be groovy within an hour.

Kiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:33 PM   #14
Mirdo

Loremaster

Is the fix for the crashing, multiple installs of the same 2 files or both please?

Mirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:42 PM   #15
Loui

General

Any updates on this? I've tried all the suggestions and am still having problems.  Also tried login into US servers but still crashing.

Loui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:00 PM   #16
TSR-DanielH

Customer Service

[email protected] wrote:

Is the fix for the crashing, multiple installs of the same 2 files or both please?

I'm pretty sure the issues are related.  I'll post an update as soon as I get more info.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:06 PM   #17
BMouse

Loremaster

Kiara,

Any update on the Soga Files? Still seem to be re-downloading teh same Files over and over again. Weerd cause I can log onto my main account but not my second account.

BMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:13 PM   #18
LichBaneEQ2

Loremaster

I only get the problem on my Splitpaw (English(EU)) character, not on my Everfrost (English(US)) characters. Maybe they haven't fixed the EU patcher yet?

Its always the 2 files mentioned by the original poster.

LichBaneEQ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:38 PM   #19
Shikome
Server: Storms

Loremaster

Same problem on Storms server (FR)

Shikome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 04:32 AM   #20
Ghouti

Loremaster

I had the (i think) the same problem, after the initial full download of the expansion. I restarted put EQ2 maps on and then it needed to download those two files again ... but they never did seem downloadable with time needed sometimes reaching 10 hours and dropping back down again or stopping so that id have to download again. Dunno if the game would crash since i never was able to get ingame.

Using Vista 64-bit, and also when i started EQ2 i now also got a message to run it as an administrator (never had the message earlier), well to be sure did that too in properties but would still get the message (but then again it says cancel to continue for a reason probably :p). Otherwise it seemed to go fine except for those two hickups.

Hope it will be fixed by the time i get back from work today SMILEY

ps English(EU) didnt try (US) since i dont have any characters there anymore

Old 11-19-2008, 11:08 AM   #21
LichBaneEQ2

Loremaster

TSR-DanielH wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

I'm pretty sure the issues are related.  I'll post an update as soon as I get more info.

For info, not had the problem today, so I assume they've fixed the look-up so the EU patcher has the right version info for those two files.

As an aside, I've also not had a random crash today since I turned off multicore support (4hrs ago) in the options->performance section after another crash this morning, so I doubt the problems were related in any way.

LichBaneEQ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 03:41 PM   #22
Loui

General

LichBaneEQ2 wrote:

TSR-DanielH wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

For info, not had the problem today, so I assume they've fixed the look-up so the EU patcher has the right version info for those two files.

As an aside, I've also not had a random crash today since I turned off multicore support (4hrs ago) in the options->performance section after another crash this morning, so I doubt the problems were related in any way.

I have characters on Splitpaw and Everfrost too but I have not been able to login to either EU or US server.

Would you be able to tell me where the options are?  Is this an EQ2 option or system option?  Thanks SMILEY

Old 11-19-2008, 07:21 PM   #23
Maece

Tester

[email protected] wrote:

I would imagine the fix was applied to the files patching over and over again.

Edit: bah, that's what I get for missing the second page of the thread.

Maece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 08:51 PM   #24
TSR-DanielH

Customer Service

Louina wrote:

I have characters on Splitpaw and Everfrost too but I have not been able to login to either EU or US server.

Would you be able to tell me where the options are?  Is this an EQ2 option or system option?  Thanks

That sounds like a different issue from the one being discussed in this thread.  That said, I think the issue in the thread is fixed now so lets try to get yours working now.

Do you have a firewall on your computer?  If so, please remove the game and launchpad from the firewall's exception list and then add them both back on.  Sometimes firewalls will stop recognizing our games after an expansion/update since the file names and sizes will change.  Removing/readding should force the firewall to let the game through.

If you don't have a firewall then could you please give us some more information?  Where is it stopping you when you try to log in?  Does it give you a specific error message?

Old 11-19-2008, 10:08 PM   #25
SentiumHoru

Historian

As of 8:00 EST the patcher still doesn't work. It patched a fair amount but says "download cancelled", the file it stops at is misc.vpk.delts. Running Vista 64 and have tried all the suggestions in the previous messages. Must be a patcher problem and not Visa (I hope).

Anyway that tech services can let us know if you are aware of the problem and are working on a fix?

SentiumHoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 10:31 PM   #26
TSR-DanielH

Customer Service

SentiumHoru wrote:

As of 8:00 EST the patcher still doesn't work. It patched a fair amount but says "download cancelled", the file it stops at is misc.vpk.delts. Running Vista 64 and have tried all the suggestions in the previous messages. Must be a patcher problem and not Visa (I hope).

Anyway that tech services can let us know if you are aware of the problem and are working on a fix?

Let's make sure this isn't a standard vista issue.

1. Right click on the program launch icon2. Left click on "Properties".3. In the new window that pops up click on the "Compatibility" tab.4. In the "Compatibility Mode" area check the box next to "Run this program in compatibility mode for:"5. In the drop down list make certain that "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)" is selected.6. Under "Privilege Level" make certain that the box next to "Run this program as administrator" is checked.7. Click on "Apply" then click on "Ok".8. Right click on the icon and select "Run as Administrator"

Old 11-20-2008, 03:57 AM   #27
Loui

General

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for responding.

I am using McAfee with Vista.  I have removed all EQ2 applications from the Allowed Programs list and am still getting the same problem.

The "Launchpad has stopped working" message appears at various stages and not on any particular file.  Sometimes it is after a few seconds and another time it will be afer around a minute. 

I have also checked the properties and made sure that I am running as administrator.

Thanks in advance for your help SMILEY

Old 11-20-2008, 08:04 AM   #28
Zeroimagination

Loremaster

I am having the same problems as Louina.  After the same checks as Louina.

I did manage to patch the game using another computer after sharing out my EQ2 folder, and I can run Everquest2.exe to play, but even with the game fully patched, I can't get EQ2.exe to run without crashing long enough to click the play button.

Malicia Grimm - Conjurer/70 Wood Worker
Five Finger Discount, Everfrost Server
Zeroimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:28 PM   #29
Loui

General

I seem to be getting a bit further as I am getting to the point now where it is giving an estimated time, but the launchpad still just stops working.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:53 PM   #30
SentiumHoru

Historian

I've tried several times the steps recommended:

Nothing works..... 

Since I bought this game with 30 days of "free" play, will I get the full 30 once I start playing? Or does the countdown begin when I create the account? If so, I've lost 2-3 days of my free time since I can't play the game. What if this takes a week, or is never resolved???

Thanks Daniel and Tech Services for posting a reply. Seems this is a common error.

SentiumHoru is offline   Reply With Quote