EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > Tradeskill Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-01-2012, 10:18 AM   #1
Jaremai

Loremaster

First, thank you (!) for making the potions heirloom.

That said, I have over 50 Bountiful Harvests and over 60 Hastened Learning that will never be used - and these numbers just keep growing each day.

Can you add an NPC somewhere that will do like a 5-1 trade on the Progress potions?  My woodworker, provi, and adorner love the extra boost when having to grind out a mass number of product.  I don't dread hearing "Hey Jare can you make me another 4000 shuriken?"

Jaremai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:23 AM   #2
Deveryn
Server: Lucan DLere
Guild: Fourth Wall

Loremaster

I'd like this, but 5-1? Can we try for 2-1 or 3-1 first? SMILEY

Old 02-01-2012, 11:01 AM   #3
Alienor

Loremaster

brokerable SMILEY?
Alienor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:15 AM   #4
Lempo

Loremaster

As much as I like the Potions of Progress I hope that they do not do this. Really, how much easier do you want it to be to do a combine?

Somewhere in Norrath a guild is about to dissolve.
Lempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:04 PM   #5
Deveryn

Loremaster

Alienor wrote:

brokerable ?

I wouldn't go that far. :p There are enough reward items that can be brokered.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:50 AM   #6
Valonia

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

As much as I like the Potions of Progress I hope that they do not do this. Really, how much easier do you want it to be to do a combine?

The word you are looking for is 'faster' not 'easier'. General crafting already is about as easy as it can get, except for the very few special combines where you die if you do not hit the right counter. SMILEY

Valonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:44 AM   #7
Deveryn

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

The word you are looking for is 'faster' not 'easier'. General crafting already is about as easy as it can get, except for the very few special combines where you die if you do not hit the right counter.

That's right. AAs are what made crafting easier. These potions just make things go by faster. I don't think it's all that bad. It's certainly better than trying to pass off the work to an NPC.

I thought about it some more and 5-1 sounds like a pretty fair trade.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:38 PM   #8
Giallolas

Loremaster

Just a moment while I get my flame repellent on...

Maybe a cool balance would be some large number (15-30) of these potions crafted together can make a reactant?  I think it's really cool that crafters can make these apprentice researched items, I just haven't seen enough reactants yet to start sharing/selling the crafted products and I could still get a meaningful use out of these potions.

"It was more power efficient for me to rez you than to heal you"
Giallolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:11 AM   #9
Deveryn

Loremaster

Maybe a visual aid will help.

From left to right, you have: Mastercrafted gear, Ry'Gorr gear and Reactant Gear.

The component for MC gear is a rare harvest.

The component for Ry'Gorr gear is a chest drop in Velious heroic content.

The component for reactant gear is also a chest drop in Velious heroic content, but that of a higher difficulty than the previous.

You can try all kinds of trades and justifications. Nothing will ever balance out to make them hand out more reactants to crafters. While they may deserve to be able to craft some of the best gear of the game, they do not deserve the components or the gear for the most minimal of efforts.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:04 AM   #10
bks6721

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Maybe a visual aid will help.

From left to right, you have: Mastercrafted gear, Ry'Gorr gear and Reactant Gear.

The component for MC gear is a rare harvest.

The component for Ry'Gorr gear is a chest drop in Velious heroic content.

The component for reactant gear is also a chest drop in Velious heroic content, but that of a higher difficulty than the previous.

You can try all kinds of trades and justifications. Nothing will ever balance out to make them hand out more reactants to crafters. While they may deserve to be able to craft some of the best gear of the game, they do not deserve the components or the gear for the most minimal of efforts.

isn't that like saying winning the lottery takes little effort?

bks6721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:52 PM   #11
Deveryn

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

No, it's not. My point is adventurers are the ones putting in the effort for gear THEY will use. If anyone deserves a better chance to get the reactants, it's them. Personally, I think they should take reactants OFF the quest rewards for these apprentice quests and bump the percentage up for adventurers.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:39 PM   #12
dankaro

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

No, it's not. My point is adventurers are the ones putting in the effort for gear THEY will use. If anyone deserves a better chance to get the reactants, it's them. Personally, I think they should take reactants OFF the quest rewards for these apprentice quests and bump the percentage up for adventurers.

If crafting to get one is so little effort why arent you crafting to get yours instead of working hard dungeon crawling? Not trying to troll or be insulting but if it's so easy why aren't you doing it?

dankaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #13
Meirril

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

And by doing the daily apprentice quest we are in effect playing the lottery. You have an absurdly small chance at getting a just as absurdly valuable reward. For a mear 6g in fuel you get a very very very small chance at getting an item that sells for between 800-1200p on my server. The common prize is nearly valueless. The uncommon prizes range from potions of dubious value to rare harvests that sell between 1p-8p. Considering how often I get rare harvests this is a lotto where you get more in prizes than you pay. Even getting a rare root (the worst rare possible) selling it for 1p would cover the cost for 16 combines. A brellium cluster would pay for about 2 months of combines.

So yeah, the daily quest is the equivellent of going to the store to buy a ticket. Just most of us don't do it every day and the real lotto is never so generous.

Meirril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:16 PM   #14
Deornwulf

Loremaster

Getting back to the original topic:

Being able to convert unwanted potions into wanted ones would not only be useful but it would be likely to encourage actual use of the potions instead of cluttering up inventories.

Personally, I'd love a 1:1 or even 2:1 trade-in.

Since that is not likely to happen, having a 5:1 ratio where one had to turn in one of each of the potions other than the desired one would be reasonable. For example -

Potion of Success+Potion of Critical Success+Potion of Innovation+Potion of Bountiful Harvests+Potion of Hastened Learning = Potion of Progress.

As a more interesting alternate, the Devs could add discoverable recipes that would require up to 3 potions as components with different combinations of the potions resulting in a new potion. 

Deornwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:09 PM   #15
Daisey
Server: Oasis
Guild: Compulsive Harvesters

Loremaster

I'd rather have a token exchange merchant before a potion exchange merchant.  Weren't they talkin about that awhile back?  I have so many crap tokens that I'd love to get rid of, but they are stuck in my currency window for ... ever I guess.

Daisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:04 PM   #16
Asif

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Heck with 7- 90 Crafters-Adventures i will call you on this i put in my time crafting for a RIGHT to get the reactant . Dont care what you think.

My adventures can always get the good stuff but my crafters have not really got any loving at all.

Asif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:45 PM   #17
Meirril

Loremaster

Asif wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Heck with 7- 90 Crafters-Adventures i will call you on this i put in my time crafting for a RIGHT to get the reactant . Dont care what you think.

My adventures can always get the good stuff but my crafters have not really got any loving at all.

From what I can tell each of your 7 crafters can spend 5 minuites or less doing a daily quest to get the same chance a group of well geared level 90 adventurers have of getting a colossal reactant. Lets just say we're talking about a group of adventurers in full hardmode raid gear. They might be able to blow through a zone in 30 minuites. Only the boss mob has a chance to drop a reactant, 1 per instance. 3 Drunder zones, 3 EoW zones. So if this uber group made of the best of the best in the game spends 6+ hours each individual has the same chance to get a colossal reactant as your single crafter in the time it takes him to get a quest, make a single combine, and turn in the quest.

Now admittedly that group has a chance to make enough plat selling the worthless gear that drops for enough to buy a colossal reactant, maybe even enough for 2, but the difference in scale is insaine.

If you compair it to a non-raiding group...the amount of time spent would increase dramatically. Figure 90 minuites to do a single instance *if they can complete it at all*. Drunder and EoW seem like they were made for people in raid gear. They are very difficult zones if your trying to progress through group content using only non-raid items.

And if your going to compair time investments...while crafting is more like work than playing, adventurers still spend a lot of time repeating the same content in order to gear their characters, grind levels and grind AA points. You could of chosen to spend your time adventuring. You didn't, you chose to spend it crafting. Assumedly because you enjoy crafting you masochistic workaholic you. So all that effort to get to 90 crafter with 25AA? Counts for no-bonus. Legit adventurers spent way more time getting there than you did.  

Meirril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #18
Deornwulf

Loremaster

Can we keep the discussion on the topic of being able to do something with the unwanted potions to make them more useful? The current derail is destined to get this thread locked.

Deornwulf is offline   Reply With Quote