EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-04-2012, 04:11 PM   #1
Denon

Loremaster

Contested Zones spawn new instances when they get really crouded. I am pretty sure the logic for this is based on the number of people in the zone at one time. This logic works fine when the zone is new and alot of people go there and play the zone as it was intended.

However the shared dungeons like Sanctum of the Scaleborn and The Hole have become PL grind zones. Where everything is just completely obliterated by a couple people running and AOE'ing as fast as they can, maybe with a toon or 2 AF'ing them. Even a good chunk of Stonebrunt Highlands was constantly obliterated this weekend.

During the bonus exp weekend it is impossible to actually play a number of these zones as intended. Sanctum of the Scaleborn is the worst - the couple of times I checked it out,  there were way more unopened chests laying around then live mobs.

I understand it is contested - and people can do what they wish there. I have myself mentored down my L90's and run through there AoE'ing for some AA grind. When I see someone else in there who is taking their time I turn around and try to be considerate. This post is not to rant on about the jerks running in and blowing up the room you were trying to work on - I get it - it is contested, years ago I use to get really ticked off when someone did that - now I pretty much expect it during bonus exp and just avoid these zones.

My point is, I really prefer to play this game as it was originally intended, doing quests and teaming up and going into a dungeon to accomplish a particular task.  If I tried try to log in my lower level toons this past week to do this type of contested content  - forget it.

Anyway - my suggestion is: In addition to the existing logic based on number of players,  also add some instancing logic based on percentage of mobs that are dead at any given time. If the vast majority of the mobs in a zone are DEAD ... time to spawn another instance.

Denon

----------------------- [ Permafrost Server] -----------------
Thomm ... Qeynos 92/320 Troubador, 92 Carpenter, T9 (450) Transmuter
Denon ..... Qeynos 90/320 Warden, 90 Tailor
Draziw ..... Freeport 92/320 Wizard, 90 Sage
Jacuzzi .... Freeport 92/320 Necromancer, 90 Woodworker
Steab ...... Qeynos 92/320 Guardian, 90 Armorer, T9 (450) Tinker
----------------------------------------------------------------

.....(-.-).....

Denon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
Kenazeer

Loremaster

Denon wrote:

Contested Zones spawn new instances when they get really crouded. I am pretty sure the logic for this is based on the number of people in the zone at one time. This logic works fine when the zone is new and alot of people go there and play the zone as it was intended.

However the shared dungeons like Sanctum of the Scaleborn and The Hole have become PL grind zones. Where everything is just completely obliterated by a couple people running and AOE'ing as fast as they can, maybe with a toon or 2 AF'ing them. Even a good chunk of Stonebrunt Highlands was constantly obliterated this weekend.

During the bonus exp weekend it is impossible to actually play a number of these zones as intended. Sanctum of the Scaleborn is the worst - the couple of times I checked it out,  there were way more unopened chests laying around then live mobs.

I understand it is contested - and people can do what they wish there. I have myself mentored down my L90's and run through there AoE'ing for some AA grind. When I see someone else in there who is taking their time I turn around and try to be considerate. This post is not to rant on about the jerks running in and blowing up the room you were trying to work on - I get it - it is contested, years ago I use to get really ticked off when someone did that - now I pretty much expect it during bonus exp and just avoid these zones.

My point is, I really prefer to play this game as it was originally intended, doing quests and teaming up and going into a dungeon to accomplish a particular task.  If I tried try to log in my lower level toons this past week to do this type of contested content  - forget it.

Anyway - my suggestion is: In addition to the existing logic based on number of players,  also add some instancing logic based on percentage of mobs that are dead at any given time. If the vast majority of the mobs in a zone are DEAD ... time to spawn another instance.

Denon

Unfortuntately Sony has pushed these players into contested dungeons. Blame them in large measure. Most of those people would just as soon be runnign Chelsith disturbing no one.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:51 PM   #3
Jaremai

Loremaster

Kenazeer wrote:

Most of those people would just as soon be runnign Chelsith disturbing no one.

Exactly this.  Some people cried foul that people were able to grind xp in an instance so the devs nerfed that xp, forcing people out into contested zones.  While Chelsith isn't a direct competitor for Sanctum, the general idea is the same.

Some players like to sit back, relax, and grind out levels/AAs while chatting or enjoying a drink or three.. without getting in the way of other players.  Maybe this is just a trait of us old EQ1 vets that grew up used to the grind, but still - removing instanced options of grinding simply forces us to grind in the open and have to compete with you for mobs.

Jaremai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #4
Banditman

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Kenazeer wrote:

Exactly this.  Some people cried foul that people were able to grind xp in an instance so the devs nerfed that xp, forcing people out into contested zones.  While Chelsith isn't a direct competitor for Sanctum, the general idea is the same.

Some players like to sit back, relax, and grind out levels/AAs while chatting or enjoying a drink or three.. without getting in the way of other players.  Maybe this is just a trait of us old EQ1 vets that grew up used to the grind, but still - removing instanced options of grinding simply forces us to grind in the open and have to compete with you for mobs.

QFE.  QFT.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
Crismorn

Loremaster

Contested zones are contested, that is the entire point.

The instances were nerfed because people were afk levelling and instead of banning those players outright SoE simply removed their ability to farm xp while afk which was very nice considering the alternative.

Crismorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
Nrgy

Lord

^^ There is NO CONTEST ... when mentored down PL'ers and proper level grouped players are forced to mix.

I like the idea of having a zone adjust its respawn timers based on the number of current dead mobs, but that is just my own selfishness talking.  However, the OP is not out of their mind thinking that there could be 'some' programmatical solution provided by the Devs.  Overland zones are instanced due to population and lag factors.  No reason there couldn't some type of solution involving contented dungeons.  TBH, 1 or 2 real PL'ers is all any single zone can support.  That is usually enough to keep nearly every dungeon mob in perma-death. 

The real problem is the forced grind of AA-XP to reach cap.  Fix that issue and the other magically disappears.  Making mobs spawn faster or instancing dungeons only hides the fact.

Nrgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:49 PM   #7
melaine_dvarvensplitter

Loremaster

Banditman wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Kenazeer wrote:

QFE.  QFT.

^^^^ QFT!!!! QFE!!!!!

I like watching tv and grinding AA's especially on lower toons or duo with my wife while raising havoc in dungeons/instances. Let us have Chelsith back or faster respawns based on amount of dead mobs per dungeon SMILEY

melaine_dvarvensplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:38 PM   #8
bks6721

Loremaster

Just like holiday shopping, I avoid popular places when I know the crowd is going to be big.

Having said that.  It's easier to grind aa on a low level char than a high level.  Grind out the aa before lvl 30.

It's worked for me.  10 level 90's.  14 other alts between lvl 30-40, all with nearly 200aa.

Several of my 90's have only stepped inside SoS once for the Cloud Mount timeline then moved on.  Several of my 90's have 300+ and still haven't ever quested in the Eastern Wastes.

Avoid popular places.. profit.

bks6721 is offline   Reply With Quote