EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Mage's Arcanum > Wizard
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-09-2005, 08:57 AM   #1
justinbla

Hello to all,

I made my 1st caster the other day (always played Warrior/Fighters and Scouts before) and chose to make a Sorcerer/Wizard.  Firstly, I would like to say that this is by far the funnest class I have played so far!  My main 36 Guardian is going on the shelf for awhile now that I have discovered the allure of the arcane. 

My toon is a lev 16 wizzy now, and I am fortunate to already have Blaze Adept 3.  I was lucky enough to find yet another coral, and I am wondering: What is the 2nd spell choice for Adept 3 at my tier level?  I was leaning towards the root type spell I get at lev ~18, but I am not sure if it will make a big difference???

Lastly, I would like to say that I am happy with my level of DPS in the early stage of the game, but I am of course concerned about what I am hearing on this board about DPS at later levels.  I am confident (and hopeful) that Moorguard's post that alludes to a fix will be a step in the right direction.  When the dust clears on EQ2; the wizard will again be the DPS class is was meant to be in the endgame.

Thanks and nuke on!

Tahuti - 16 Sorcerer/Wizard: Butcherblock server
Justin - 36 Guardian: Butcherblock server
justinbla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 09:27 AM   #2
Scrubbl

General

Well when your wizard reaches the same lvl as your guardian, your guardian will be doing  more dps SMILEY even if your wizard has adept III's.
If you got adept III for your nukes during the lvl 20 to 32ish you will be able to compete in damage, but after that wizard dps takes a crap. Though you might get lucky and the wizard fix will go live before you reach the point where wizards become worthless.

As for your question about adepts III's; that stun you get, I can't remember the name, basically that spell works on mobs as high as lvl 32 SMILEY So that might be a winner for a adept III. I think Freeze is it's name? I don't remember, but it's the stun.
Scrubbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 09:34 AM   #3
iamap

If I had coral I will choose,Painful MeditationFreezing WhorlBlazethen maybe Summon Shadows.Others not worth upgrading imo.
iamap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 02:16 PM   #4
Pacor

At 35 I still use my AdeptIII Freezing Whorl regularly. In fact, on hard mobs it is still more effective than the AdeptIII replacement Icy Coil, because it gets WAY less resists (how this is supposed to make sense is a mistery to me). In any case, both stack and are on separate timers so you simply won't get as much from any other 10-19 spell. Painful Meditation is another good one but a distant second imho.
Pacor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 02:20 PM   #5
Sorano

Loremaster

Painful Med is a good choice, but bear in mind your lvl 20 training option gives you an adept2 version of PM, so whether you want to use the coral on an adept3 version is up to you. I honestly don't think there is much difference between adept2 and adept3 and well the adept2 is free, plus it will cure arcane heh. Freeze is an awesome spell, but it works just as well at adept1, so upgrading it to adept3 will be a waste. Upgrade Frozen Manacles if you solo a lot, otherwise don't bother. Freezing Whorl would be a decent choice too, since your next ice dot Icy Coil won't kick in till your late 20's. But honestly IMHO, the next spell you should upgrade to adpet3 would be BoF, but you don't get that till lvl 23 and it needs a different rare. So another thing to think about is whether it's worth selling you coral, and putting away the money for upgrading BoF when you get it. But it's your choice in the end. The only important thing is that you enjoy playing your wizzy! :smileyhappy: 
Old 02-11-2005, 01:46 AM   #6
Morde

Just a question, being new to EQ2 and having come from EQ1 so long ago and left it Now I'm back, I hear about all the adept and App3 and such my question is How do I find out about these, I haven't a clue about how to get them or anything? Is there a site or a place I can go and read up on this, are there quests I can do... Help me as I love my Wizard, in fact just made 19 last night and looking forward to getting 20 and doing my quests but I would like to start working on getting my spell levels up. So any help is great about where to start as I am app2 on what I can upgrade in the stores.

I have been flying blind for a while and I think I need to get on the band wagon.

Thanks

Morde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 02:01 AM   #7
Stavenh

Actually, I would get summoned shadows. Great for Shard runs, as it works against all but reds. You can absorb your shard and not lose invis, but anything else will cause it to break, even falling. Incinerate is a good one too. It only will increase the damage it does, but you use incinerate for quite a while, so the damage it does adds up.For Morderr:Adept 1 are drops from chests. My limited experience, is that the adepts that do drop often are higher then the areas the drop in. Meaning don't look for your current level of spells in the areas you can fight. This is fine, as you will be ready for when you level up. In the 33 levels I've played, I've seen 4 wizard spells drop. The rest I bought.Adept 2 are versions of spell you get from training. Training happens every 10 levels. You are offered a more powerful version of a spell you already have at adept 2.Adept 3 are player made, and require a rare material from harvesting or from a mob chest drop. They are expensive to buy off the market, so consider finding them yourself. Then find a player to make them. Each server has a market forum on this MB, so find yours and see if someone is making spells that you can afford.
Stavenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 11:07 AM   #8
Kamuj

General

Since you have blaze, I'd say Freezing Whorl. You'll use it for a while. Adept 1 summon shadows works up to orange/red mobs too.
Old 02-12-2005, 03:02 AM   #9
isthisana

I did Freezing Whorl and Painful Med and I never regretted it.Freezing Whorl Adept 3 will max out at 52ish per tick.Painful Med Adept 3 will return about 150 mana for 100 health and I still use it and chain it with Discretionary Flow at level 32.I never had a problem with Adept 1 summon shadows. The difference between the adept 1 and adept 3 is at best you can sneak by mobs that are 1 or 2 levels higher. The only time I ever wished I had the adept 3 version was I had to wait a level to sneak into ROV for my Linadrins Robe.Saerin
isthisana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 03:57 AM   #10
lurkingshado

Um, there's no way a lvl 36 guardian outdamages a lvl 36 wizard.  Maybe if the wizard was being lazy or conserving power.
lurkingshado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 10:20 AM   #11
MiniMe102

General

taking your lvl into consideration,  i would tell you to go with blaze. seeing as how you already have it, id go with painful meditation. with good drink and adept 3 painful med, its np conserving power. im lvl 31 and still use painful med adept 3 in my power regen rotation. another good choice is definitly freezing whorl. its good up till your mid to late 30's after you get icy coil and a few other ice based dots. lvl 31 and still using it avidly. frozen manicles, also a very good choice if you like to solo,. i only have app3 (looking for adept) and i still use it on every single solo pull at 31. arcane bindings is to weak at this lvl and i wont get another root for several lvls. summon shadow can be helpful, but personally i cant justify using a coral to get adept 3. sure youll be able to invis past alot, but get adept 1 and youll be able to invis past enough. chances are if you need more then adept 1 to invis past you shouldnt be down there in the first place lol j/k
Old 02-13-2005, 10:28 AM   #12
MiniMe102

General

"Just a question, being new to EQ2 and having come from EQ1 so long ago and left it Now I'm back, I hear about all the adept and App3 and such my question is How do I find out about these, I haven't a clue about how to get them or anything? Is there a site or a place I can go and read up on this, are there quests I can do... Help me as I love my Wizard, in fact just made 19 last night and looking forward to getting 20 and doing my quests but I would like to start working on getting my spell levels up. So any help is great about where to start as I am app2 on what I can upgrade in the stores.

I have been flying blind for a while and I think I need to get on the band wagon. "

Thanks

ok heres what its all about morderr. i dnno how things worked in eq1, never played em. but in eq2, all skills when recieved start at app1. wizard, scout, etc.. all spells are upgradable to app2 through the stores, though diff. merchants sell diff. lvl spells. to get app3 or app4, you must have a scholar of the appropriate lvl make them.  check the broker, or if your in a guild, ask your guild spell maker. easiest way incase some dont know is to make the skill range of searchables from grey to orange and put it on spell scrolls. will only give you scrolls that you can use. (not insulting your intelegence or nothing, but youd be surprised how few people know about that)

i dont know what app4's do, some say there bugged, some say they give the same damage as app3 but just less power cost.

adept 1's can be found from drops on random mobs, and made (i think. forgot.)  adept 3's are made using a rare harvested ore and the help of a scholor. skills lvl 10 and under use coral, mined from rocks in antonica/commonlands. diff. lvl of spells require diff. rares and higher lvl's require multiple pieces.

masters 1-3 are all rare master chest drops. master chest is a really big metal chest with brass like handles. youll know it when you see it.

hope this helps some. pm me if you have any questions youd like answered in more detail.

Message Edited by MiniMe10203 on 02-12-2005 09:28 PM

Old 02-14-2005, 01:52 AM   #13
Arkanj

lurkingshadows wrote:
Um, there's no way a lvl 36 guardian outdamages a lvl 36 wizard.  Maybe if the wizard was being lazy or conserving power.

I agree with this.  The Wizard is peaking in power around level 35-37.