EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Mage's Arcanum > Wizard
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-06-2005, 01:23 AM   #31
Azmoran

Loremaster

We are going to get a spell to enlarge people.Duh!
Azmoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 02:37 AM   #32
Skwor

Loremaster

Moorgard wrote:

narcox wrote:
hopefully im wrong but from my experience with eq 1 it was same deal the wizards will get fixed somewhat but they will have to pay for it by buying the expansion

Nope. Wizards and warlocks are going to see big (and I mean BIG) changes in the next major update, going out to Test next week. SMILEY

Message Edited by Moorgard on 02-05-2005 10:41 AM

I think i just pee'd myself  :smileysurprised: !!!

Message Edited by Skwor on 02-05-2005 01:37 PM

Skwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 02:48 AM   #33
Sorano

Loremaster

Moorgard wrote:

Nope. Wizards and warlocks are going to see big (and I mean BIG) changes in the next major update, going out to Test next week. SMILEY

Yay!!! Thanks Moorgard. I am soo happy to hear this. I can't wait to see what the changes are!
Old 02-06-2005, 03:21 AM   #34
narc

wow awsome Moorgard thanks for the good news and thanks for replying
narc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 04:06 AM   #35
Khalay

One word.... w000t! SMILEY
Khalay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 04:10 AM   #36
OpethPA

Loremaster

Turinel wrote:
I wonder if it'll be the same BIG changes scouts saw and now they are totally ruined.

I'm a scout class tell me how I am ruined because I don't have any problems soloing , grouping or anything else.
Old 02-06-2005, 04:31 AM   #37
Kalin Lazare

Moorgard, may I press you to ask what sort of changes? I know it's not a good time to get into specifics, but after the big changes, is it intended that our damage reflect your previous statement that "generally speaking, wizards and warlocks should have the highest damage output"... that's paraphrased as best I can remember SMILEY

Message Edited by Kalin Lazareth on 02-05-2005 03:37 PM

Old 02-06-2005, 04:58 AM   #38
xAlar

Moorgard wrote:

Cool - Wizzies and Warlocks need the luvin.  Assassins, who are a pure damage class, are hoping for a chance to do more damage than tanks at the 40+ level - crushed by Bruisers and Monks for now.  Once per hour fluff Assassination does little for sustained dps.

xAlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 05:26 AM   #39
Faerel

Loremaster

Kamujin wrote:

Moorgard wrote:

narcox wrote:
hopefully im wrong but from my experience with eq 1 it was same deal the wizards will get fixed somewhat but they will have to pay for it by buying the expansion

To prove how insane I am, part of me things he means ports!

I really hope wizards don't get ports. This was the reason wizards didn't didn't get improved dps in EQ1. I can live without ports unless every class gets them :smileyindifferent:

Old 02-06-2005, 05:35 AM   #40
Canelin

Loremaster

Pointy hats?
Canelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 06:32 AM   #41
Kamuj

General

Faerel wrote:

I really hope wizards don't get ports. This was the reason wizards didn't didn't get improved dps in EQ1. I can live without ports unless every class gets them :smileyindifferent:

In EQ1, wizards were great DPS, especially in raids.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:00 AM   #42
Pacor

Moorgard just managed to hold my cancellation for another week or two. Mind you, not cancellation as in "EQ2 sucks, your dumb if you like it", but more as a "My fun and sense of worth has fallen too low to want to pay for it, but I'd love to have reasons to get back in".You could say he accomplished his mission. I can wait a week to read what they are doing, or two weeks to actually experience it. I'm still confused why did they increase resists and so on... I expect the changes will be mostly damage improvements to 40+ wizzies (I'm 33), but something like lowered casting times for stuns and more effectiveness of stifles and roots would just buy me back in.
Pacor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 07:27 AM   #43
SGrim

Loremaster

PS: He didn't say changes for the good. He just said "big changes".
SGrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 12:17 PM   #44
Anandri

Canelin wrote:Pointy hats?
/cheer!Can I get an Amen on the pointy hats?! We fought all throgh EQ1 to no avail, perhaps we might get lucky in the sequel!
Anandri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 12:21 PM   #45
beechbo

I totally agree with Pkachu's spell attack except I like to use Skeleton Master's Strike first so it has time to regenerate if I need it towards the end of the fight.
   I totally agree with Articulas as well-Hey man, we gotta have more cow bell!
beechbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 06:00 PM   #46
Stavenh

How about a little faith to those rolling thier eyes and making catty comments?

Thanks again Moorgard, for information. No, I don't want an exact date, because if you can't make it, people are going to roast you and your family alive. Knowing that it will be sometime next month is good. By then I will most likely be hitting that area wizards have problems with.

Though I wouldn't mind knowing what some of the big changes are, so if anyone reading this thread is on the test server, let us know whats happening.

Thanks again Moorgard.

Stavenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 06:19 PM   #47
Widgetblaster

Loremaster

Stavenham wrote:
How about a little faith to those rolling thier eyes and making catty comments?

Thanks again Moorgard, for information. No, I don't want an exact date, because if you can't make it, people are going to roast you and your family alive. Knowing that it will be sometime next month is good. By then I will most likely be hitting that area wizards have problems with.

Though I wouldn't mind knowing what some of the big changes are, so if anyone reading this thread is on the test server, let us know whats happening.

Thanks again Moorgard.

I have to agree with you.Using some common sense for a moment (a rare commodity on this board, I know)1. 3 weeks ago, Moorgard posts that wizards and warlocks are not performing up to par, regarding damage2. Not being stupid, SOE can see that people are upset with this3. Big changes coming is announced. What else could the changes be except fixes/enhancements for damage. And since he says that they are related specifically to wizards and warlocks, it does not sound like every other class is being whacked with reductions.Once again, I'm levelling at the perfect rate. About to hit 28, still feel powerful and these changes will probably reduce or eliminate the issues that apparently start in the mid 30s.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:16 PM   #48
Skwor

Loremaster

I think you'll find that those changes are geared for the larger population of wizards not in thier high 30's and up. I agree there is a huge delta in those levels for playability. I however never agreed that below  30 wizards are just fine.

Truth is as early as 22 I started noticing wizards scaling down compared to other classes for group effectiveness. While we still were acceptable it was just that, "acceptable". Yes we did a little more, or were even, with other classes but that is just the problem being even or doing just a little more when you give so much up in every other area makes for a very poor class and playability.

Some of this has changed though with the recent patches.

Message Edited by Skwor on 02-06-2005 06:18 AM

Skwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 07:49 PM   #49
Arkanj

Kamujin wrote:

Faerel wrote:

In EQ1, wizards were great DPS, especially in raids.

Let's not push our luck.  They're most likely fixing our damage, leave the "ports" out of it.  Just take whatever we're being given with a smile and a thank you.  Ports are of no consequence.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:38 AM   #50
antigravi

Thats great but will there be a fix to the 48 warlock pet spell NETHEROS???
antigravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 04:20 AM   #51
Devious Po

antigravity wrote:
Thats great but will there be a fix to the 48 warlock pet spell NETHEROS???

i think there's a warlock forumn around here somewhere.  maybe the dev's would be more inclined to help you if your learned to post on the right forumns.    in light of that, i hope your spell gets fixed.

Finger Waggling Wizzie
Devious Po is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 04:52 AM   #52
Dreska

Loremaster

Moorgard wrote:

narcox wrote:

Sweet Moorgard, just remember to add those pointy blue wizzy hats with stars on them SMILEY
Dreska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 02:50 PM   #53
Thyri

Moorgard wrote:

narcox wrote:

For that i just can say one thing:

WOHO THUMBS UP !!!
Thyri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 06:48 PM   #54
Boushar

That's awesome news. I played a wiz in EQ1 so I know their woes. I'm curious though: is this fix part of the overall rebalancing of DPS throughout all the classes (mentioned 3 or so weeks ago) or is it targetted specifically to wizards? From my understanding, their biggest problem stemmed from the fact that Tier 1 spells were merely copied to make the higher level replacement spells but the damage wasn't adjusted only the min/max requirement. And this appears to be something that plagues many other classes as well. Thus my curiosity.
Boushar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 08:28 PM   #55
killzo

Moorgard wrote:

narcox wrote:

Thanks Moorgard.  It is good to know this is getting taken care of.  Time to wipe the dust off Ice Pebble and Ball of Spark.
killzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 09:23 PM   #56
Beth

Ever see the episode of the Simpsons were Lisa was testing bart with electric shocks from a cake....

Bart reaches for the cake and goes OW !

He pulls back his hand & pauses for a minute...

Im not Bart, Ill wait until I see something good before jumping on Ye olde band wagon.
Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 10:15 PM   #57
Anachroni

I had no serious troubles with my warlock. As many people told before there are certain lvls which are a real pain in the you know what SMILEY Especially 20, 21 and 22 are tough. You just get no decent spell for damage. The only real problem is that the root spells are not very relieable. Sometimes you fight a blue mob and it`s breaking root 3 or 4 times. BUT: I think there should be chance do die in every fight with a mob close to your level. At the moment I die in one from 20 or 30 combats (solo) and yes it sucks. But it also keeps me thrilled and highly concentrated. I have to push the right buttons or I´m dead. My scout is completly different (Kill vs. Death Ratio is close to 200 and it`s a pure solo-char). Ok, I have to use the HO`s but there`s plenty room for mistakes (even after the patch..I have no idea what the people are whining about SMILEY ). JörgPS: Anyways, I`m looking forward to the great changes^^

Message Edited by Anachronist on 02-07-2005 09:16 AM

Der
Anachroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 10:42 PM   #58
Stavenh

BethRo wrote:
Im not Bart, Ill wait until I see something good before jumping on Ye olde band wagon.

Um, I think the bandwagon is to sit there and say, I'll see it before I believe it.Thinking that Sony doesn't have it in for wizards, and that they will adress the issues our class faces is not the norm. It takes courage to not think that everything is against you and that Sony is only a souless money maker.
Stavenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 11:29 PM   #59
Tarkadal

Loremaster

Stavenham wrote:

BethRo wrote:

Um, I think the bandwagon is to sit there and say, I'll see it before I believe it.

Thinking that Sony doesn't have it in for wizards, and that they will adress the issues our class faces is not the norm.

It takes courage to not think that everything is against you and that Sony is only a souless money maker.

Perhaps, but my biggest concern here stems from a balance issue. Already, encounters are fairly easy for a group to take care of. Upping Sorceror DPS is just going to make things easier, unless they drop the DPS of other classes, or increase our hate so much that we will have to reign in our DPS ourselves down to the prepatch levels.

Yes, we need spells that are more than a mere a copy/paste of our earlier spells, yes our relative DPS needs a major upgrade, but if all they do is just adjust it upwards, then the fix wont last long.

Personally, I'm hoping that there is a longer term solution in the works. Item dependency for mages would be a nice start. Give us the equivalent of an FBSS, give us items with spell damage bonuses. Without doing that, we will continually fall behind on the DPS curve as the Melee's get bigger and better equipment with new expansions and we are left with the same flat damage output.

Yes, I am happy that there is a fix going through to test soon, but personally, I just don't want bigger and better spells. I want to be balanced.

Tarkadal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 02:01 AM   #60
Ulke

the post from Moorgard has peaked my interest, but i need more. i will wait a week to see the changes made to test. i dont know how much longer i can hold out though. i hold no interest in playing other classes, and right now im bored to tears with my wizard.
Ulke is offline   Reply With Quote