EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-13-2012, 08:02 PM   #1
Rogue4Life

Lord

I realize the guide program is considered 'cool' and 'fun' by some, and I agree that it can be - if you ever happen to be on when they're available and doing their thing.   But I beg of the Forces That Be, please, Please, PLEASE give us our NPCs back for starting event quests (such as My Creepy Catalog for NOtD).  It's Saturday, for pity's sake, and the "rumors" thread that is supposed to tell us when guides will be around says there won't be one available until Sunday.  

I'd really like to be able to do these quests when I'm available, rather than have to have to wait around for someone else to be available.  I'm not saying remove the guides or anything like that.  Leave them for those who want to use them.  But having a quest held hostage to someone else's schedule is just silly.  Please give us the option of using an NPC again!

Old 10-13-2012, 09:20 PM   #2
Senvares

Loremaster

this is a bad idea and should never be back /thread locked

Senvares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:49 PM   #3
Lizabethan

Philosopher

This request really makes me hurt for the Guides. They are volunteers, and absolutely lovely people, who are doing all of us a service by volunteering their time to give us these quests. Asking for them to be replaced with NPCs would completely remove a wonderful, interactive part of EQ2. Also, the guide quests are not normal quests. They're not like regular ones that are just available whenever you please; they're not meant to be every day, and are very worth waiting for. It makes the experience that much more special to spend time with someone who loves this game as much as we do, AND then you get a neat item/reward/quest with it. Sometimes their real lives interfere with play time, just like yours, so please don't hold it against them - they usually always reschedule. It's more than worth it to just be patient.

I spend a lot of time on AB defending the Guides from people who are just blatantly rude to these wonderful volunteers, and it breaks my heart to see that this suggestion has come up just because it wasn't convenient for someone.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #4
Rogue4Life

Lord

If you take a moment to read more closely, you'd see that nobody is requesting replacement.  The request is simply to have the NPC available for those who don't have time to wait around for someone else. 

I shouldn't be unable to do a quest because of a lack of volunteers, no matter how sweet, adorable, enthusiastic, or whatever they are.  I'm sure they're great people.  They're just very scarce during my playing times.

And truly.... I don't care who gives me a quest, whether it's an NPC or a guide.  It's some dialogue, a quest acceptance, some more dialogue, and a reward.  And then I move on and do the next quest.  I don't ever have drawn-out interactions with them (on the rare event I see one).  Maybe some people do, and for them, that's great (that's why I didn't say -replace- them).  But personally, I could get the quest from a note tacked to a stump and it wouldn't matter to me, as long as it's there when I have time to play.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:56 PM   #5
Finora

Tester

If they added it to Freeport, they would have to add it to all the other live servers for all the other special holiday guide events. And well, why have guides if they were going to do that?

The guides are usually awesome about posting times when they are going to be on and many show up other times as well (I know Sera on EF does).

While it's pretty fun to get the quests, it is absolutely not game breaking in any way for you to miss it.

The only reason FP ever had the NPCS for the quests is because they didn't have guides at all before. Now they do.

Finora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:41 PM   #6
Rogue4Life

Lord

Of course that's completely contradictory:  we can't add them back to Freeport (which had them in the first place while others didn't) because....... we'd have to add them to servers that never had them in.... the... first...... place??  Sorry, does not compute.

But in the event they insist on keeping us limited to guides for quests that are only available for a short time to begin with, they need to get more guides.  Hire them if necessary, because they're never around.  No guides around on a Saturday during a holiday event?  Really?  Supposedly they'll think about attempting to be around on Sunday, but of course there's no guarantee.  And we have to watch the thread to find out when the next time they're kinda maybe thinking about possibly being around.  It would be more bearable if we could get some sort of schedule for the duration of the event, so we could plan to be around when they were (I'm not talking about the cutesy random guide quests here, just the special holiday event ones).

It's like the whole system sits on the edge of existing.  It's there....sort of, but not in any terribly useful or consistent way.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:09 AM   #7
Rainmare
Server: Oasis
Guild: Pillage

Loremaster

okay then let me make it simpler.

Freeport had the NPC because it was completely segregated from all other servers. and the guide program doesn't allow a guide to play on thier own server, which is what would have to happen if they used guides then. that's why you got the NPC in the first place.

Then they merged Freeport in with everyone else. and everyone got the FTP setup. as a result, Freeport now has guides, and they took away your NPCs. your rumor/guide thread tells you when they will be on (usually) for any event they do, and if something occurs and they don't show, 95% of the time it's just rescheduled for another time/day.

You were segregated with your own quest fountain, now your not, and you got to share the same fountain with everyone else.

and yes, what your asking for could very quickly destroy the guide program. cause if you got what you wanted, then people would shout for NPCs for ALL the potential guide quests. why should they have to interact with someone for special events?!

If you can't schedule the time to make an event, then have a friend log you on maybe. if that doesn't work, ask someone that you know couldn't care less about the house item to just place it in your home if they run it. for holdiay things like the catalog quest, heck put one or some of the gtuides on your friendlist, and if you see one, ask them to give you the quest. they have the ability to do that. heck they probably would be more then happy to.

And interact with them. rp with them. hang around and talk rather then just grab your quest and run. you might get extra rewards, guide only shinies for a collection quested set of pink or blue armor (depending on your choice) let them know you, and hell while your chatting ask them if they can schedule some events more in your time frame. they very well may accomodate you if you treat them like players and not special quest NPCs.

Rainmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:23 AM   #8
Cloudrat

Tester

I hear that on Sunday, October 14th, about 4pm pacific time, someone may be seeking some help, possibly in Commonlands.

Of course always things can change and that is just about the same time you posted on the forums so I am guessing it's a good time for you .

There is a section where the Freeport guides post to let you know when and where to be.

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...topic_id=512278

Old 10-14-2012, 04:38 AM   #9
Cakeny

Lord

I'm in favor of changing guide system to how it is in EQ.  They run events and do random interactions with people, but they aren't quest givers in the traditional sense.

Cakeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:38 AM   #10
General_Info

Lord

personally the guid esystem is alright as it is just need more guides active at different times. i mean so what if you go through NOTD or any other seasonal event and dont get a guide quest? you could probably count the number of guide quests in existance on two hands.

i'd like to get the NOTD guide quest but i if i dont it wont bother me in the slightest there's always next year/

Old 10-14-2012, 12:24 PM   #11
samael616

Lord

I love talking to the guides and was lucky enough to catch Corea with one of my toons and had a blast talking to her (didn't actually know she was giving the quest out until the end).  I also have 8 other toons though and while I know it is'nt essential for me to have that book and complete the quest I do like having all of the quests ticked on my little quest tracker list.

So yes, even if it's only on the last day or something, for those who haven't been able to spot a guide out and about it would be nice to be able to do the quest.  Since I enjoy talking to the guides I refuse to be rude and just grab the quest and run so I can't just blast through my toons and grab the quest.  So for the slightly OCD of us (or completely) it would be fantastic to both be able to catch guides on those toons we can, but be able to still do the quest on those we can't and see a tick in every little NOTD quest box SMILEY .

Old 10-15-2012, 06:06 AM   #12
Xianthia

Loremaster

I too would like an alternate way to get these quests when Holiday events are going on.  It is really nice to spend some time with a guide, however, the schedules (theirs, mine etc) don't always match up.

Leave the guides in of course, but allow an alternate way to get the quests.

Xianthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:49 AM   #13
Wingrider01

Loremaster

Cakeny wrote:

I'm in favor of changing guide system to how it is in EQ.  They run events and do random interactions with people, but they aren't quest givers in the traditional sense.

Seems like you just defined a holiday special event and interaction quest - that a guide will do a random interaction with the player base and initiate a event from the chance meeting. All the events that are run - like the Sleepers Tomb one is basicly a service of quests, so there is no needed change to be made

Yes Jim, the user has experienced the dreaded PICNIC error

Wingrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:50 AM   #14
tomsky

Loremaster

Lizabethan wrote:

This request really makes me hurt for the Guides. They are volunteers, and absolutely lovely people, who are doing all of us a service by volunteering their time to give us these quests. Asking for them to be replaced with NPCs would completely remove a wonderful, interactive part of EQ2. Also, the guide quests are not normal quests. They're not like regular ones that are just available whenever you please; they're not meant to be every day, and are very worth waiting for. It makes the experience that much more special to spend time with someone who loves this game as much as we do, AND then you get a neat item/reward/quest with it. Sometimes their real lives interfere with play time, just like yours, so please don't hold it against them - they usually always reschedule. It's more than worth it to just be patient.

This.

The Splitpaw guides I have met have all been fantastic, and from what I've seen, cover most hours of the day logical for the server (aka EU times). From what I'm guessing at your post, is that you are probably playing on a server and not playing at prime times?

Your request is like saying "I can't kill all the nameds in PoW, can I have a solo quest if I run it 10x I get the loot from a named".

Guide quests are special events, as stated further up in this thread, keep an eye out on the Freeport specific guide thread, and you could always try posting a request in there?

Old 10-15-2012, 02:22 PM   #15
redwoodtreesprite

Loremaster

I started on Freeport shortly after it was extended.  And yes, it was nice to be able to do the guide quests at anytime.  I had no idea they even were guide quests of course.

But it is so much better now.  Many many guide quests are available to do that really were not possible to do with a game NPC.  I love roleplaying with the guides.  The storytelling sessions are absolutely delightful.  And the shineys, they are nice too. SMILEY

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HOWEVER!  The very thing that makes the guide quests great is a problem when it comes to the short term festival ones.  Guides are real people, not programmed NPCs, and so have real lives.  And I am sure they also love to immerse themselves in the festival events.  But end result is, it may be impossible for the guides to be available enough to do the short term festival ones frequently enough.  Tinkerfest for example.  I never did get to do that one guide quest on any character.  And the Creepy Catalog quest?  So far I have had one guide come up to me, chat and give me the quest.  I would really love to do the quest on more characters, and it may happen.  But it may be like the Tinkerfest one for me.

Another thing is that on some servers, the guides like to be more spontaneous, like on Guk and on Permafrost.  And so there are very few times a guide event will be posted far enough ahead of time on the forums.  This is fine for most of the year.  But for festivals, it should be done differently. 

A weekend perhaps, where all the guides work together to do the Creepy Catalog one.  Announced on all the threads for the server guide events.  Lasting long enough for everyone to have a chance to get the quest.  This would be a good approach for the more special and unique festival guide quests I think.

redwoodtreesprite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:13 PM   #16
Rogue4Life

Lord

Exactly, redwoodtreesprite!

If they're going to have guides, then HAVE GUIDES.  Ones that can give us enough coverage to get the job done.   No guides on a Saturday, but there on Sunday evening (my time), is useless for me, as Sunday evenings I'm running around getting three kids ready to start the school week (laundry, showers, packing lunches, making sure all homework and projects are actually completed). Yes, everyone has different schedules, but having only one opportunity to pick up this quest in a whole weekend is pathetic!

While I might not hang around and shoot the breeze, I do want to pick up the quests.  Doesn't mean I'm going to be rude, I'm just not chatty.  I like completing ALL the quests for an event, and this is a regular obstacle to that.  In fact, I haven't completed any guide-given quests in any events since we (Freeport) lost our NPCs for those quests!  It's frustrating!

Old 10-15-2012, 04:19 PM   #17
Destria
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Saints and Sinners

Loremaster

so...people have been nice about it...I'll spell it out as simply as possible

GUIDE EVENTS ARE BONUSES AND SPECIAL NOT REQUIREMENTS OR PART OF ANY THING DIRECTLY RELATED TO THE GAME

not doing them is not game breaking

doing them gives FLUFF, just like the holidays.

Seriously, what I got from this, is like saying "I couldn't make it on during the holiday, so I want to be able to get all the holiday stuff when its convenient anytime year round, nevermind the holiday schedule doesn't mesh well with my RL stuff"

Get over it, your that desperate for them move to a different server where the guide schedule meshes better with your personal schedule, don't ask for things that will destroy the program.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:35 PM   #18
Juggercap

Elder

I've never been part of an 'event' where an NPC couldn't do just as much as the guide could. Preventing people from taking part in events because they aren't on at the same time as the guide is stupid.

Run away! Run away!
Juggercap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:04 PM   #19
Zatozia

Community Relations

Greetings Rogue4Life,

The Guide Program have certain quests and items that players can only receive by interacting with them. This makes the quests and items more treasured! The "My Creepy Catalog" is one of those quests.

The Guides try to share a schedule of when they will be running particular events or roleplay sessions on the Guide Events section on the EQ2 forums. You can also type /who all guides to check when if a Guide is online. Keep in mind that the Guides are volunteers. They help out when they have free time to help out!

The Guide Program is currently actively recruiting for more Guides!  The more Guides there are, the more appearances they can make in the world!  For more information about the Guide Program, if you are interested in helping too you can visit the Guide home on the Station forums:  http://bit.ly/guideapp

Created by EverQuest Community Member pimp_zilla

Follow Zatozia on Twitter
Zatozia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:46 PM   #20
Squeecha

Senior Guide

And, since Freeport is mine... my own two cents.

As others have stated, the NPC's only existed because we weren't allowed on the server at the time. Now that we are, the NPC's were removed.

The NPC's were there purely because there was no other way for non-Guide servers to get those quests.

Part of the difference with Guide ones is the interaction that you get. And, for that matter, in many cases it is required. There are quests, tasks, rewards, etc, that are only handed out after someone roleplays with a Guide, or comes back and chats with the character after they do a quest. That is part of the reward for interacting with a Guide. Folks who want to run up and hail and go, they aren't going to get the full benefit.

However.. ALL of that aside... SMILEY

Not every "Quest" is a Guide event. For example, the Creepy Catalog.. the Tinkerfest catalog, etc.. those aren't Quests per se for us because we aren't running some special thing. We have them on us as we are just wandering around as us. I have been on several times in the past few days, at different times of the day and evening, and have handed the catalog out to anyone interested, and probably a few who weren't. And tht's just me, that doesn't include all the others on the server besides me. It wasn't just available on Saturday.

We aren't necessarily going to be always hollering across the channels that we're in with toys, clickies, shinies, snacks, etc. We may just be talking to the people in the zone. We may just be chatting in the channels with folks and having fun there. Some of it is dependant on the players to ask us when they see us, because we always have something.

After all, I, for example have no way to look at you and tell that you never got the catalog. But if I have it, and somebody asks. It's all theirs. If someone just comes up and starts talking about the current holiday, or things in general.. they generally get something, even if it's just a snack or holiday treat. And if we have something like the catalog, that too.

Trust me, I know what it's like to miss these. I can't count how many times I see some neat trinket, or quest, or whatever as a Guide reward or quest and want to get it myself. Many times however, I. and other Guides as well, miss them because we are instead on as Guides looking for people who want them.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #21
Kanissa

Loremaster

Rogue4Life wrote:

But in the event they insist on keeping us limited to guides for quests that are only available for a short time to begin with, they need to get more guides.  Hire them if necessary, because they're never around.  No guides around on a Saturday during a holiday event?  Really?

I can totally sympathize with not being able to get the holiday Guide quests - I lucked out and got the Tinkerfest catalog on one character, but that's rare for me.

But Guides are all volunteers, right?  They're not SOE employees.  So how do you propose requiring them to be online on a certain day?  They have their own play characters to try to get things on, and perhaps something crazy like families. SMILEY

Old 10-16-2012, 05:04 AM   #22
Cakeny

Lord

Kanissa wrote:

Rogue4Life wrote:

But in the event they insist on keeping us limited to guides for quests that are only available for a short time to begin with, they need to get more guides.  Hire them if necessary, because they're never around.  No guides around on a Saturday during a holiday event?  Really?

I can totally sympathize with not being able to get the holiday Guide quests - I lucked out and got the Tinkerfest catalog on one character, but that's rare for me.

But Guides are all volunteers, right?  They're not SOE employees.  So how do you propose requiring them to be online on a certain day?  They have their own play characters to try to get things on, and perhaps something crazy like families.

They could just give an alternate method of obtaining quest.  People that are unable to play at certain times or not into roleplaying should not be limited in what content they can do.

Cakeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:23 AM   #23
samael616

Lord

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

so...people have been nice about it...I'll spell it out as simply as possible

GUIDE EVENTS ARE BONUSES AND SPECIAL NOT REQUIREMENTS OR PART OF ANY THING DIRECTLY RELATED TO THE GAME

not doing them is not game breaking

doing them gives FLUFF, just like the holidays.

Seriously, what I got from this, is like saying "I couldn't make it on during the holiday, so I want to be able to get all the holiday stuff when its convenient anytime year round, nevermind the holiday schedule doesn't mesh well with my RL stuff"

Get over it, your that desperate for them move to a different server where the guide schedule meshes better with your personal schedule, don't ask for things that will destroy the program.

I'm not quite sure which part of the reading comprehension exercise you missed but I have not seen anyone ask to receive the quests at times other than the holidays.  I am from the UK, but I do not play standard UK times I play closer to US times due to work.  It does not, however, mean that I am guaranteed to be online at the times that a guide is giving out the quest.  When I do see one around I much prefer to go and speak with one and have even stayed up until ridiculous hours for me when I have seen there is to be one around.

So, it's fluff....and what?  People like fluff hence doing most of the NOTD quests in the first place.  As I said before noone wants to get rid of or destroy the guide programme.  Just give those a chance who don't happen to be online on the hour or two that the guides are online for a chance to grab the quest too, even if it is near the end of the holiday.

I like my server why the hell would I want to change it, it does fit better with my hours so I am not going to mess up every other aspect of my schedule and lose my friends.  It is not game breaking, no one is compaining that it is, it is just a request for those people who do enjoy being able to partake in every aspect of the holiday to get a chance to do the quest, whether they are unlucky enough to miss the guide at that time (or as someone said just because they feel uncomfortable roleplaying as many people do).

High-horse, time to get off.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:25 AM   #24
Matia

Loremaster

Cakeny wrote:

They could just give an alternate method of obtaining quest.  People that are unable to play at certain times or not into roleplaying should not be limited in what content they can do.

By that criteria, every quest that is only given by a rare drop, or rare spawn, or from a dungeon, or a raid, etc should also have some NPC standing around to offer it because people may not want to go do those things either or have the time for them.

Matia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:45 AM   #25
samael616

Lord

Matia wrote:

By that criteria, every quest that is only given by a rare drop, or rare spawn, or from a dungeon, or a raid, etc should also have some NPC standing around to offer it because people may not want to go do those things either or have the time for them.

Not really since the timescale available to dropped quests or rare spawns is still greater than a week or two.  They are ones that can be worked on when the player does have the time and they can work that specifically around their schedule.

Old 10-16-2012, 03:21 PM   #26
redwoodtreesprite

Loremaster

Kanissa wrote:

But Guides are all volunteers, right?  They're not SOE employees.  So how do you propose requiring them to be online on a certain day?  They have their own play characters to try to get things on, and perhaps something crazy like families.

Actually, the guides have worked together on weekends sometimes to do special guide events.  The one this year, on Freeport I think, was amazingly cool, a marathon of guide events for a solid day.  It was awesome!  SMILEY

I am a strong defender of the guides.  I wish I could be one myself, but our autistic son requires a lot of care sometimes.

But it would be really nice if just one weekend day out of a longer festival we could have a cooperative work by the guides to make quests like the cataloging ones available.  That wouldn't be that many times anyway, if you think about how few quests there are like that.  I can only think of 3, perhaps 4, myself.

redwoodtreesprite is offline   Reply With Quote