EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-22-2011, 12:53 PM   #61
Andok

Loremaster

The only good reason to keep flying mounts less accessible (e.g. for level 86+ characters only) is that flying mounts make all of the land-based mounts obsolete.   If everyone had a griffon, then all of the other mounts would be pointless (even the ones on the marketplace).  

Still, I'm for all for giving low-level characters access to griffons.  SoE just needs to make land-based mounts more desirable.

Andok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:59 PM   #62
Azekah1

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Azekah1 wrote:

sigh...you just don't get it. I want to play at my own pace, and I don't want to craft. I guess I won't be getting a flying mount. Oh well.

That sums things up.

Let me put it bluntly for you. No one cares about your own pace.

This game is not designed to please you , the I don't want to do anything but want to have it all person. This is a game where if you want something you need to put in the effort to get it.

If you cannot even be bothered to meet the requirements to get a flying mount then you will never be bothered to put in the effort to lvl your AA which is 1000 times harder than that. As far as I am concerned you can take your childish attitude and go back where you came from. This game is definitely not for you.

way to completely ignore my previous post. I said they should offer a way for players to "EARN" a flying mount other than leveling a crafter, or getting to end game. Why should I be forced to craft to get a mount? How stupid is that?

Azekah1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:50 PM   #63
Rqron

Loremaster

Aelfan wrote:

Actually, I do think the OP has a very good point. I really do not understand why the adventuring flyers seem only attainable as the end-game reward. When do you actually get to fly it if you're DONE? What is the point? One poster said that EQ2 isn't about just flying around, but actually, it looks like it is, by t he time you've got your mount.

I'd have to say I deeply resent this new content entirely for level 85+ players. New content, of the nature of flying mounts, is new content, no matter what level you get it at. I'm sure the bored level 90 people would be happy doing scaleable quests, or even trivial quests, to get a flying mount, and then use it to do the new adventuring content.

My highest toons are in their 50's (I'm a bit of an altoholic, I'm afraid), and they have all ceased adventuring in order to concentrate solely on harvesting and tradeskilling in order to get flying mounts. They aren't playing the game and doing the sequence of tradeskill quests, they are just hammering at writs until they get their rides, because flying removes a lot of things I find very irritating  about this game, like little unclimbable ledges spread across the landscape, or terrains covered with hostiles you really just want to fly over. I would have to say that if the flying mounts were ONLY available to level 90 adventurers, I would resent the injustice so much I would have walked from the game.

I would really prefer to get the ride at a lower adventuring level, and take my time enjoying the content - with a flying mount!

Wha wha wha want some crackers with that whine?

The entitlement society that has grown in this world is appaling, you sound just like the person who wants the big mansion up the road...for free of course...because...gasp...why should it be only available to people wo have money? or that Mercedes, jaguar you want that too because well its unfair...

How about putting in the time, effort and work to get to those levels like all others have? And stop your whining.

Rqron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:05 PM   #64
LaurnaRose Fauldorn

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Aelfan wrote:

Actually, I do think the OP has a very good point. I really do not understand why the adventuring flyers seem only attainable as the end-game reward. When do you actually get to fly it if you're DONE? What is the point? One poster said that EQ2 isn't about just flying around, but actually, it looks like it is, by t he time you've got your mount.

I'd have to say I deeply resent this new content entirely for level 85+ players. New content, of the nature of flying mounts, is new content, no matter what level you get it at. I'm sure the bored level 90 people would be happy doing scaleable quests, or even trivial quests, to get a flying mount, and then use it to do the new adventuring content.

My highest toons are in their 50's (I'm a bit of an altoholic, I'm afraid), and they have all ceased adventuring in order to concentrate solely on harvesting and tradeskilling in order to get flying mounts. They aren't playing the game and doing the sequence of tradeskill quests, they are just hammering at writs until they get their rides, because flying removes a lot of things I find very irritating  about this game, like little unclimbable ledges spread across the landscape, or terrains covered with hostiles you really just want to fly over. I would have to say that if the flying mounts were ONLY available to level 90 adventurers, I would resent the injustice so much I would have walked from the game.

I would really prefer to get the ride at a lower adventuring level, and take my time enjoying the content - with a flying mount!

Wha wha wha want some crackers with that whine?

The entitlement society that has grown in this world is appaling, you sound just like the person who wants the big mansion up the road...for free of course...because...gasp...why should it be only available to people wo have money? or that Mercedes, jaguar you want that too because well its unfair...

How about putting in the time, effort and work to get to those levels like all others have? And stop your whining.

I would be totally onboard with an additional quest being added to the carpet quest in SS and the cloud quest in TT if the account had DoV purchased where lower level characters could obtain slower flying mounts.  Just saw that the carpet and cloud have the same ground speed however.  I would suggest the carpet remain at 45% ground then add a 90% flight, and turn the cloud into a 55% ground and a 110% flight. 

I also think that there should be an additional lower level flight mount available to characters on an account that has already completed the lvl 86 flight quest in [Removed for Content] with one character, possibly a 20% ground/40% flight available at lvl 10.

Anobelle ~ Coercer/Jeweler ~~~ Beah ~ Warlock/Sage

Dharknehz ~ Assasin (90) /Weaponsmith ~~~ Jeffica ~ Bruiser/Tailor

Laurn ~ Defiler (90) /Carpenter (90) ~~~ Psahng ~ Troubador/Woodworker

Vacri ~ ShadowKnight (90) /Armorer ~~~ Xhexania ~ Necromancer/Unskilled

FAYDARK --> BEFALLEN --> OASIS

LaurnaRose Fauldorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:07 PM   #65
Rainmare
Server: Oasis
Guild: Pillage

Loremaster

you don't have to craft you can level up the old fashioned way. but as to why...there's this thing in the game, it's reffered to as lore. it's the basis for most everything. it's why Qeynos is Qeynos, and why freeport is freeport. why Lucan is what he is, and so on. the story of why we do what we do to whom we do it to.

the gryffons are cared for by the Gohmari. they are considered sacred animals. so they don't, naturally, just let anyone run in and grab one. so you have to earn thier trust...one way is to help them with thier crafting needs. the other is to help them militarily against primarily the Rime.

as to a mechanics reason...there's no such thing as air combat. virtually no mob can 'see' you or 'attack' you in the air. so I imagine it's restricted also to make sure people don't use it to bypass things. like for example, taking a level 5 toon out into the Feerott for discos since no mob will aggro you while airborn..or skipping over dangerous spots to safer spots. like in Zek. flying straight to DFC or the Greenhood camp and bypasing everything inbetween. same thing probably in zones like Everfrost or Lavastorm.

Rainmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:38 PM   #66
Azekah1

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

you don't have to craft you can level up the old fashioned way. but as to why...there's this thing in the game, it's reffered to as lore. it's the basis for most everything. it's why Qeynos is Qeynos, and why freeport is freeport. why Lucan is what he is, and so on. the story of why we do what we do to whom we do it to.

the gryffons are cared for by the Gohmari. they are considered sacred animals. so they don't, naturally, just let anyone run in and grab one. so you have to earn thier trust...one way is to help them with thier crafting needs. the other is to help them militarily against primarily the Rime.

as to a mechanics reason...there's no such thing as air combat. virtually no mob can 'see' you or 'attack' you in the air. so I imagine it's restricted also to make sure people don't use it to bypass things. like for example, taking a level 5 toon out into the Feerott for discos since no mob will aggro you while airborn..or skipping over dangerous spots to safer spots. like in Zek. flying straight to DFC or the Greenhood camp and bypasing everything inbetween. same thing probably in zones like Everfrost or Lavastorm.

I'll take a baby griffon. We'll help train them up so once they get to you guys they are faster, stronger...and lol "sacred"

Old 04-22-2011, 04:40 PM   #67
SmokeJumper

DoD

Hey folks, the OPs comment about not wanting to level up to play in Velious and get a cool mount is a reasonable discussion. At the risk of laying foundation for a flamewar here, I'd like to propose an idea to you and see how you feel about it.

Ready? Try not to judge until you've read it all. It's definitely going to make a few of you think about wearing a troll costume, but if so, please keep in mind that this is just an idea. It's a discussion. That's all. I am serious that I'm asking for feedback.

A few points first:

• We like Velious a lot and plan to release content for it for a long time. That's level 90 content and there's lots of it coming. We'll be adding other multi-level content also (Freeport/Qeynos and others) but there's still a lot of level 90 content coming.
  • Flying mounts are intended to stay as a level 90 perk. (We have other plans that will be announced soon that will make that seem like a good idea. Trust me for now.
  • We're looking at ways to boost popualation for EQII Live. (A new form of the free trial and other ideas.)

So, to be honest, winback campaigns work well for us. Millions of people have played this game and remember it fondly. When we tell them about something new, they come back to check it out and a lot of them stay. Many people have subbed 2, 3, 4 or more times during the time EQII has been running.

So...without further ado...here's the idea.

What would you think about a winback campaign that lets people return to the game, and if they purchase DoV while playing during that winback period, they also get a level 90 character of their choice? (Assume mastercraft-level kit, modest AA amounts, and a modest coin amount.)

Okay...have you stopped reading yet because you're too angry to think? If not, there's just a bit more.

Pros: Lets the returning players play in the new cool content and have access to flying, as they desire, so that they get what had made the game attractive enough for them to want to return in the first place. That could help bring back lots of old friends to stay for a while and be good for the game.

Cons: Probably makes some current players feel cheated because "they earned their lvl 90 (months of work) and these returning players just get one handed to them. Doesn't seem fair." (Completely understandable reaction.) Players might not want a bunch of new level 90s mixed in with current communities. (But fresh blood at that level might actually be a cool thing, the players returning are *not* raw newbs, and the returning players still have to itemize and get a bunch of AAs to "catch up" with current folks.)

That's about as far as I've considered the idea. So what do you think? I guess there's two kinds of answers: 1) Do you think this would strengthen the game's community or not, and 2) Your personal feelings/reactions to the idea.

Again, it's an *idea*. Thanks, in advance, for the feedback!

EverQuest Franchise (EQ, EQII, EQN)
SmokeJumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:48 PM   #68
Azekah1

Loremaster

SmokeJumper wrote:

• Flying mounts are intended to stay as a level 90 perk. (We have other plans that will be announced soon that will make that seem like a good idea. Trust me for now.

But it's not really. If you are willing to level a crafter you can have it at any level. Seems kind of backwards. Force yourself to grind out boring crafting so you can enjoy the whole game on a flying mount as you level...or adventure to 90 and then there is no need to go back to the old zones other than to just fly around to reminice...Just my opinion though. I'm not demanding anything, just think it would be cool to be able to level the game using a flying mount.

Old 04-22-2011, 04:48 PM   #69
Geothe

Loremaster

SmokeJumper wrote:

What would you think about a winback campaign that lets people return to the game, and if they purchase DoV while playing during that winback period, they also get a level 90 character of their choice? (Assume mastercraft-level kit, modest AA amounts, and a modest coin amount.)

Okay...have you stopped reading yet because you're too angry to think? If not, there's just a bit more.

Pros: Lets the returning players play in the new cool content and have access to flying, as they desire, so that they get what had made the game attractive enough for them to want to return in the first place. That could help bring back lots of old friends to stay for a while and be good for the game.

Cons: Probably makes some current players feel cheated because "they earned their lvl 90 (months of work) and these returning players just get one handed to them. Doesn't seem fair." (Completely understandable reaction.) Players might not want a bunch of new level 90s mixed in with current communities. (But fresh blood at that level might actually be a cool thing, the players returning are *not* raw newbs, and the returning players still have to itemize and get a bunch of AAs to "catch up" with current folks.)

That's about as far as I've considered the idea. So what do you think? I guess there's two kinds of answers: 1) Do you think this would strengthen the game's community or not, and 2) Your personal feelings/reactions to the idea.

Not a horrible idea, IF, you allow current players to have a similar option.  The people that readily play the game a lot, nothing is more annoying than playing through old content you've done a dozen+ times already, if you want to level up a new alt to run current tier content with.If you add a come-back lvl 90 character promotion, since you are already introducing the mechanic there, allow active subscribers (with say 2 or 3 max level toons on their account) to use the same system to make future alts.  It would be entirely optional so those that love going back through old content still can with zero issues.  But those who are sick if that (and there are a LOT that are) can bypass it using the same system you are introducing to bring players back to the game.  a Win Win.

Smed: 5) This [LoN] is not some slippery slope towards selling items directly in EQ & EQ II.

Lie #3: Station Cash. Enough Said.

Geothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:49 PM   #70
LardLord

Loremaster

Why don't you just remove levels and automatically give people full AAs, and then you can just rebalance all the content for the same level? More content for everyone!

LardLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:52 PM   #71
Syndarin
Server: Unrest
Guild: Equilibrium

Loremaster

SmokeJumper wrote:

Hey folks, the OPs comment about not wanting to level up to play in Velious and get a cool mount is a reasonable discussion. At the risk of laying foundation for a flamewar here, I'd like to propose an idea to you and see how you feel about it.

Ready? Try not to judge until you've read it all. It's definitely going to make a few of you think about wearing a troll costume, but if so, please keep in mind that this is just an idea. It's a discussion. That's all. I am serious that I'm asking for feedback.

A few points first:

• We like Velious a lot and plan to release content for it for a long time. That's level 90 content and there's lots of it coming. We'll be adding other multi-level content also (Freeport/Qeynos and others) but there's still a lot of level 90 content coming.
  • We're looking at ways to boost popualation for EQII Live. (A new form of the free trial and other ideas.)

So, to be honest, winback campaigns work well for us. Millions of people have played this game and remember it fondly. When we tell them about something new, they come back to check it out and a lot of them stay. Many people have subbed 2, 3, 4 or more times during the time EQII has been running.

Tell you what man. You might as well just let me buy 300 AA on all my toons. Griding AA is boring and time consuming and I would like to be on a level playing field with everyone without playing the game the way it was intended.

Old 04-22-2011, 04:52 PM   #72
Juull
Server: Antonia Bayle

Loremaster

SmokeJumper wrote:

Ugh.  I'd rather you just give flying mounts away to everyone.  I'm in a raiding guild, but I try to do a reasonable number of instances per week and this would completely turn me off any sort of PUG.  Seriously, you want to see how classist we can become?  People are already advertising their crit chance along with AAs and other achievements when looking for groups - the LAST thing this game needs is an influx of max level characters who haven't got any experience with their class, not to mention general game mechanics!  As for your assertion that the returning players wouldn't be raw newbs, that's a bit of a stretch.  If you've been playing since release, you know that the game we have now isn't the same thing we started with at all.  If someone quit recently, then they probably have a clue - but if they quit recently, they probably don't need a level 90 character.

I think this would destroy the high level community.  For every 1 potentially valuable player this would attract, we'd end up with another 15 idiots on level chat.  Of course, I play on Antonia Bayle and our high level community already took a pretty big hit from the last great idea - free server transfers.

Honestly, I think you need to take a good long hard look at what exactly you think a MMORPG is exactly.  Leveling is part of the path - as is gearing up, exploring, crafting, and raiding.  If you remove leveling from the equation, I don't know what you are left with, but it isn't Everquest.

Juull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:59 PM   #73
Bruener

Loremaster

I like the idea of a level 90 character with a MODERATE amount of AAs for returning/new players.  The leveling from 1-90 is way too much in todays game, especially when there is very few people leveling up and it is mostly a solo-fest.  So for new/returning players its enough to burn them out before they get the real guts of the content at level 90.  While having a moderate amount of AAs means there will still be some grind, probably into old content, to max AAs.

For the current player-base that has a problem with this I saw somebody power-level a toon up to level 90 in something like 18 hours.  There really isn't much of a time sink for current players if they have other people they can lean on to help them out.

However, I would like to see some capability for current players to also gain a level 90 "alt" the same way.  Maybe some type of vet reward that allows them to create another level 90 toon every 6 months for example.  For a player like myself that really just hates leveling up an alt it would be ideal for me if I wanted to just try messing around with another toon at 90 to see if I like them.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:00 PM   #74
Vinyard

Loremaster

I still prefer my groundmount over my flying mount.

As for your idea SJ....that seems like it would be an EQ2x option. That's just not a great way to bring back returning players. The content of the game is what should do that, not the offer of a free level 90 toon.

edit: I guess if you want to not [Removed for Content] off the entire playerbase, some compensation would be allowing the everyone to "claim" 1 level 90 moderately geared/aa'd toon. Announce the day well ahead of time so people can prepare, advertise it in a few areas, get it known.

Vinyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:04 PM   #75
Gaige

Loremaster

No.  If you do that you make the entire game meaningless and might as well just remove levels, remove AA points, remove everything.  Just make all of us the same in regards to progression outside gear acquisition and make all content the same level.

Oh, that would also suck too, so don't do that either.

If people need flying mounts to stay sub'd, then make flying mounts a lvl 1 deal like most other mounts are.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:06 PM   #76
Morghus

Loremaster

Just remove the level restriction on the mount itself, and remove the level restriction on the quest so that a lowbie can 'tough it out' by having a higher level friend help them complete it like it was possible to do with the wargs when they were first introduced.

Morghus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:10 PM   #77
Syndarin
Server: Unrest
Guild: Equilibrium

Loremaster

This is really just a ploy to get players to agree that flying mounts should be available at all levels.You introduce such a terrible terrible idea, and as a result, players will take the lesser of two evils so you don't go that route.Crafty.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:11 PM   #78
SmokeJumper

DoD

SmokeJumper wrote:

Ugh.  I'd rather you just give flying mounts away to everyone.  I'm in a raiding guild, but I try to do a reasonable number of instances per week and this would completely turn me off any sort of PUG.  Seriously, you want to see how classist we can become?  People are already advertising their crit chance along with AAs and other achievements when looking for groups - the LAST thing this game needs is an influx of max level characters who haven't got any experience with their class, not to mention general game mechanics!  As for your assertion that the returning players wouldn't be raw newbs, that's a bit of a stretch.  If you've been playing since release, you know that the game we have now isn't the same thing we started with at all.  If someone quit recently, then they probably have a clue - but if they quit recently, they probably don't need a level 90 character.

I think this would destroy the high level community.  For every 1 potentially valuable player this would attract, we'd end up with another 15 idiots on level chat.  Of course, I play on Antonia Bayle and our high level community already took a pretty big hit from the last great idea - free server transfers.

Honestly, I think you need to take a good long hard look at what exactly you think a MMORPG is exactly.  Leveling is part of the path - as is gearing up, exploring, crafting, and raiding.  If you remove leveling from the equation, I don't know what you are left with, but it isn't Everquest.

I have absolutely no argument with any of this. Nicely explained. Thanks. The idea clearly needs revamping if it survives at all. (The comment about returnees picking a class they're not experienced with is spot-on.)

What if you could only pick one of your existing characters of level 40 or higher and convert them into a level 90?

Old 04-22-2011, 05:12 PM   #79
Frezzyisfuzzy

Loremaster

I don't really see a problem as long as they don't get much more than 100 AAs.  If you have a friend with a level 90 fighter, you can have a max level toon in about 12 hours of grinding.  It's the AA grind that really takes a decent amount of time.  So as long as you keep the starting AA level low, it really isn't a big deal in practice.  The only objections to make would be on the principle, but arguing over morality in a video game seems kinda weak.

That being said...if you're really considering an option like this (creatable characters with a pre-set level and AA amount), it would make for an amazing addition to the 7 year vet reward.  I know a ton of people were less than pleased with just getting a house, so a new character (make it not count toward max character slots on an account) would be pretty cool for that.  7 year vets have clearly put enough time into the game and been through the lowbie grind enough times that a free pass would just be a pleasant bonus, rather than some earth-shattering advantage.  It seems more than fair to reward constant customer loyalty at the same time you try to win back loyalty that has wavered over the years.

Edit - I just remember counting down the days until I got my 6 year veteran call, but I didn't even realize I was able to claim my mistmoore manor until about a week after I hit the 7 year mark.  The new character thing would have had me practically salivating.

Frezzyisfuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:13 PM   #80
SmokeJumper

DoD

Bruener wrote:

However, I would like to see some capability for current players to also gain a level 90 "alt" the same way.  Maybe some type of vet reward that allows them to create another level 90 toon every 6 months for example.  For a player like myself that really just hates leveling up an alt it would be ideal for me if I wanted to just try messing around with another toon at 90 to see if I like them.

There's definitely merit to this suggestion. I agree we'd need something along this kind of thinking.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:13 PM   #81
Vinyard

Loremaster

SmokeJumper wrote:

SmokeJumper wrote:

I have absolutely no argument with any of this. Nicely explained. Thanks. The idea clearly needs revamping if it survives at all. (The comment about returnees picking a class they're not experienced with is spot-on.)

What if you could only pick a character of level 40 or higher and convert them into a level 90?

The problem with going that route, would be how drastically different the game is, at level 40 to level 90. A player would be just as clueless with their class as if they were a fresh noob.

Vinyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:15 PM   #82
vexrm

Loremaster

SmokeJumper wrote:

An Idea.

Okay, I'm going to try very hard not to get banned.

Let's start out here with a "I disagree with this".

Having said that, will it bring in new blood? Most likely. Would that be a good thing? Questionable. Much of learning your class is playing it. Taking the time to know what your skills do and how to use them right. Even with these not being raw newbies, how much did the game change this expansion? Last expansion? The one before? The one before that? The culture shock between expansions can be fairly large.

I have to ask why you aren't making a new server to start near max level, ala EQ1. That seemed to be (and currently is if I remember right) the solution over there. I know it won't solve the population on the other servers and adds another level of complexity to the server types, but I'm curious.

Now then, let's pretend you do this. Remember the Station Access vs Year Subscriptions vs EQX Rewards fiasco? Let's try to avoid another one of those. I have no idea how you'd avoid that in this case. There are just way too many ways to offend players with this idea.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:16 PM   #83
JoarAddam

Loremaster

SmokeJumper wrote:

A few points first:

That you even HAD this idea AND voiced it to the community is nail meet coffin for me.  Some of the things you say quietly to yourself while on the can aren't meant to be said out loud.  This is right up there with the worst of those things.  Vaya con Dios.

You're Your

They're There Their
JoarAddam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:16 PM   #84
SmokeJumper

DoD

The content of the game is what should do that, not the offer of a free level 90 toon.

That's definitely one way to look at the offer, but that's absolutely not how it's intended. The lvl 90 character is only provided so that returnee could get to play the stuff that attracted him/her back to the game (namely DoV and beyond) without having to go through something that, quite frankly, they had quit previously.

Granted, I guess we'd be fools not to use it as a lure in the marketing blurbs, but that wasn't it's intent originally.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:17 PM   #85
LardLord

Loremaster

SmokeJumper wrote:

What if you could only pick a character of level 40 or higher and convert them into a level 90?

Just remove levels and make a really good tutorial that you have to play through with your class before you go to the open world

LardLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:17 PM   #86
Miznit

Loremaster

@Smokejumper:

Jump them all the way to 90?  With decent AA, armor and coin?  MY proposal (and I am entering this in a serious discussion sort of way, not a flame, nor argument) would be something along the lines of a level 86 toon, with, say 100 AA (maybe a bit higher, maybe a bit lower, but let's start there), maybe 10 plat (since at that level it IS rather easy to get more), and MC armor at level 82.  They can then journey to Velious, do the quest lines, and get their mount.  Yes, many would need a group to help them, but that shouldn't be mush of a problem...after all there would most likely be several of them all doing the stuff at the same time.

There is armor that you get for the quests that is better suited for DoV, and I think they should have a bit of work involved to get to the final rewards.  Just flat out GIVING it away, in my opinion, woul dbe the wrong thing to do.  It would make alot of the player base angry, and it would put the newbies/returning players in a place that is much different than what they remember from earlier time in EQ2.

And, in all sincerity, I feel the need to ask the old question EVERYone seems to ask when something comes up:  What about those that are loyal and have done it all the hard way?  I'm not about to make a suggestion here, as what I would think was equitable and what someone ELSE would think most likely won't even come close.  I AM saying, however, that if this idea were to be implemented, then SOMETHING nice needs to be done for the current players that are working their toons to death trying to get that last bit of leveling so they can get their mount.

Now, as far as if it would strengthen the community, I really can't say.  It might  be a positive thing on one server, yet be catastrophic on another.  And it seems to me that only a rather small subset of the community comes to the forums, unless they have a specific issue.  And even THEN most of them seem to ask friends/guildies/others in game before comeing here to post.  (My opinion, and not really based on any research...just a hunch SMILEY )

My PERSONAL reaction to this idea is.....confusion.  (If this were to be brought live, could I cancel my second account, then the next month start it back up and turn one of my level 20-30's into a strong 90?  It was worth asking, at any rate SMILEY )  I'm inclined to think it's a not good idea, but with tweaks might be a so-so idea.  I'd have to have more detailed information on it to TRULY decide if I was for or against it.

I do hope I have answered in a way that is constructive and informative, without being argumentative.  Your turn SMILEY

Miznit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:20 PM   #87
SmokeJumper

DoD

Gaige wrote:

No.  If you do that you make the entire game meaningless and might as well just remove levels, remove AA points, remove everything.  Just make all of us the same in regards to progression outside gear acquisition and make all content the same level.

Oh, that would also suck too, so don't do that either.

If people need flying mounts to stay sub'd, then make flying mounts a lvl 1 deal like most other mounts are.

Noted. And I predict this is the way many folks will feel.

But I'd like to hear more about why you think it would make the game feel meaningless. Is it because getting to level 90 is difficult? Is level 90 a badge of honor that's rare enough to be a status symbol? I'm not trying to be snarky in the slightest. Just trying to pry into this a bit more to fully understand. Thanks.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:21 PM   #88
SmokeJumper

DoD

[email protected] wrote:

This is really just a ploy to get players to agree that flying mounts should be available at all levels.You introduce such a terrible terrible idea, and as a result, players will take the lesser of two evils so you don't go that route.Crafty.

lol. No. Actually, the reverse is true. The players are asking for fliers at all levels. We're holding out because we know of some features that are coming that you don't yet. (But will soon.)

Old 04-22-2011, 05:21 PM   #89
Klive
Server: Mistmoore
Guild: Mistmoore Eternal Knights

Loremaster

Can you just imagine trying to group the DOV content with folks in generic insta 90 toons? Wow! I soloed my illusionist to 75 in RoK and then started getting brought along on groups by friends to learn how to GROUP. I do that with all my toons.

You need to learn how to play a toon, get lower versions of spells, get used to what they do, etc.

But, if you wind up doing it, I'll have to learn to deal. I already am leery of PUGs in DoV. I will just be more so.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:23 PM   #90
ffd700

Lord

SmokeJumper wrote:

Just remove levels and make a really good tutorial that you have to play through with your class before you go to the open world

That would be neat, the tutorial idea, kinda like the old archetype to class to subclass questline that was pretty fun.

ffd700 is offline   Reply With Quote