EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-28-2012, 10:21 AM   #1
Tyrus Dracofire

Loremaster

are they coming in Gu 64? or Gu 65?

would love to see early teaser, just basic preview until few weeks with additional teasers.

are they in "traditional" white marble with goldtone rock trims?

hope Elddar Grove look more verdant with lush gardens, and that dojo need more of natural tone blending with city forest.

do we need alert for "out of zone' placement items to move?

Tyrus Dracofire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:26 PM   #2
Mohee

Lord

Chances are it will be just like the freeport update. You can say good-bye to all the zones like Eldarr Grove, Starcrest Commune, Nettleville, and the others.

It'll most likely just be North, South, and Qeynos Harbor. The other zones will most likely remain the same but only be accessible via instancing from a quest.

Sad day

EQ'ing since 1999
Mohee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:29 PM   #3
Karrane1

Tester

SOE did say that Qeynos would be in 2 zones.. It was just to big to place into 1 zone.

I wil miss Castleview 8(

Old 04-28-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
Tylia
Server: Butcherblock
Guild: Test of Time

Loremaster

I'm not looking forward to it at all.  I'm really going to miss Willow Wood.  SMILEY

Tylia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:54 PM   #5
Alenna
Server: Guk
Guild: Defenders of the Light

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

I'm not looking forward to it at all.  I'm really going to miss Willow Wood. 

same here all my good toons moved into Willow Wood before new halas came. I still have a toon living there.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:58 PM   #6
Rahatmattata

Loremaster

You would think they would just integrate the city villages into the entire revamp and make the whole city district into one big zone like Kylong Plains. Even better, integrate the adventure zones Forest Ruins, Oakmyst Forest, etc... make it all one big zone and revamp with quests and stuff...

If stuff doesn't line up perfectly like on the map or whatever, just cheat the best you can... we can forgive that. That would be something to get excited about.

A Cure For Cancer
Rahatmattata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:29 PM   #7
SisterTheresa

The Vigilant

[email protected] wrote:

Not looking forward to it either, though all my good toons are moving to New Halas anyway (did so before the Freeport revamp).

Old 04-28-2012, 07:41 PM   #8
Katz

Loremaster

I will miss the Qeynos burbs.  They are worth keeping.

Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:48 PM   #9
Guy De Alsace

Loremaster

EQ2 is the only MMO I play where I dread the next GU.

Goodbye to a perfectly good city, hello to somewhere I'll likely never go to again.

Guy De Alsace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:12 AM   #10
msgnomer

Loremaster

I"m really going to keep hoping that the suburbs are somehow retained...either as is or as part of the outskirts of the city.  I have a gnome in the Baubleshire and a half elf in Willow Wood.  they love their humble homes. 

Hall of Fame: Help Feed the Dragons! (No, you won't be the food!)

Look for Poet's Dungeon: The Mad Poet's Release returning soon.

----------

Aluriel's chronicle of a scavanger hunt through 50 player decorated homes and guildhalls:.... http://photobucket.com/AlurielsAdventure

msgnomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:16 AM   #11
Onorem

Loremaster

Katz wrote:

So were the Freeport burbs, but that didn't stop them...

Old 04-29-2012, 05:01 AM   #12
Wurm

Loremaster

Onorem wrote:

Katz wrote:

So were the Freeport burbs, but that didn't stop them...

Agree to both. I hate the Freeport revamp with a vengence, and cringe when I think what the current hacks are going to do to Qeynos.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:56 AM   #13
Pixiewrath
Server: The Bazaar
Guild: Aristocrats

Loremaster

I was recording some footage for Qeynos for the revamp. I assume all combat areas will remain open and the non-combat ones will be removed to allow a handful of people do a handful of quests instead, leaving a handful of people happy with the update...Either way, during my travels there I discovered some truly great environments. Peat bog was cool, though a bit messy in terms of mob amounts and labyrinthism(?). Oakmyst Forest was just, WOW!Then there was the fountain with the (voiceovered) frog in Castleview Hamlet, the day/night events in The Forest Ruins, the Halfling Holes in Baubleshire...Honestly, Qeynos is already one of the best MMORPG capital cities, so I don't see the point in redoing it. We will just lose lots of quests and NPC voices. Will be sad. They removed lots of quets with the Freeport Revamp.I created an evil char to record footage in Freeport before the revamp and some of the quests were really engaging, like one where you helped some guy near the execution pit saving his father. I never had time to finish that line though since the update came. But it had lots of voiceover.So yeah, I am not looking forward to the Qeynos revamp. I know that they will do the same mistake as with Freeport and with Star Was Galaxies. Change too much for the game's own good.What the game needs is not a qeynos revamp. It needs updated rewards in the older quests, and...THE ABILITY TO START IN FREEPORT AND QEYNOS!Of course Freeport and Qeynos is gaping empty at the moment becase people CAN'T start there anymore!It's not because the zones are/were uninteresting, it's because people just don't have a reason to go there since they are already lvl 20 or so once they go there the first time unless they do a dangerous trip to get there, which new players won't do. At least in terms of gear. There are a few furniture ones though which are cool.For some cool quests and actual voiceover there is plenty to discover in Qeynos and Antonica. I didn't do it much because I wanted to save the best for last.Soooo... I guess it's time to do all those Qeynos/Antonica quests now instead of Withered Lands stuff so that I can experience how the game was meant to be before it all gets removed from my grasp.Oh yes. GU 65 will be a sad day. Indeed.We will lose a lot of well made 60 FPS+ and high detailed small zones to a huge low framerate zone (or two) where everything will feel hip and WoW-ish instead of keeping true to the original role playing game feeling.Withered Lands might be enormous and cool, I love the vegetation-undead-giants in the ruins there. But I don't think any zone can ever beat Oakmyst Forest in terms of detail.

Pixiewrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:27 AM   #14
Whilhelmina
Server: Storms
Guild: Les Furies d Innoruuk

Tester

Keep the suburbs available for touring and bring the FP ones back!

Bring back the isles!

Whilhelmina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:54 AM   #15
Tylia

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Not looking forward to it either, though all my good toons are moving to New Halas anyway (did so before the Freeport revamp).

I guess I'm going to have to do the same with my ranger, who absolutely adores her Willow Wood home.  While New Halas housing is nice, it just doesn't have the same atmosphere and ambiance as the Qeynos housing.  If the remake follows the path of FP, most of the housing will be stuck inside one building, such as the Lions Mane Inn.  There will be no reason left to live in Qeynos.  SMILEY

Old 04-29-2012, 01:26 PM   #16
kahonen

Loremaster

I can't say I care either way. 

I've got a guild portal in my house - I can't remember the last time I was even in Qeynos apart from at the Docks using Chrono-mentor when GU came out.

kahonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:44 PM   #17
Mohee

Lord

Qeynos doesn't need a complete revamp. They just need to bring back the ability to start there as a new character (and/or bring back the Isle of Refuge!!!)

They just need to remove the doors and make the entire city all one zone. I don't understand how this can't be possible? Look at the newer zones that have much more detail, are WAY bigger than qeynos. It is possible! Its an older zone which still looks fantastic. It can be done. It should be done! Just take down the doors between the qeynos zonelines and it'd be perfect!

It'd probably be far less work anyways then re-doing the whole city entirely so it looks entirely different. Not many players actually want the revamp... so why waste time and resources doing it?

/shakes head. I guess we can never understand the decisions being made anymore.....

EQ'ing since 1999
Old 04-29-2012, 09:54 PM   #18
Morrias
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Dynasty Reborn

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

You would think they would just integrate the city villages into the entire revamp and make the whole city district into one big zone like Kylong Plains. Even better, integrate the adventure zones Forest Ruins, Oakmyst Forest, etc... make it all one big zone and revamp with quests and stuff...

If stuff doesn't line up perfectly like on the map or whatever, just cheat the best you can... we can forgive that. That would be something to get excited about.

Oh but that's what someone whose goal was to make a fun experience would do, that is CLEARLY not SmokeJumpers goal with this game.

Morrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:13 AM   #19
The_Cheeseman

Loremaster

Just chiming in to say that I really liked the Freeport revamp, and am looking forward to the same treatment for Qeynos.

I really don't understand all the fuss about bringing back the Isle of Refuge. It wasn't all that exciting, really. The modern starting zones have much better designed quest series and rewards, and do a superior job introducing the game to new players and giving them direction. The isle was just a smallish, linear zone containing a few unrelated quests with very little relevance to the overall lore of the game world. The current starting areas do a much better job setting-up the culture of the various cities and the races within them. Also, the isle only get you to level 6 before you got dumped into Qeynos/Freeport and given some vague instructions regarding earning citizenship. The new zones provide new players with a much more structured content path all the way to level 20, allowing them to develop more familiarity with their character and investment in the game before being thrown into the sandbox.

Personally, I like that I have 4 unique starting areas to choose from when I create a new alt, which allows me to pursue a path that suits the character. Each of the modern starting areas has its own theme, rather than just a melting-pot, "generic fantasy city". The Freeport revamp really added some depth of character to that city, and I am looking forward to my main character's home getting a similar treatment.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:18 AM   #20
DamselInDistress

Champion

The_Cheeseman wrote:

Just chiming in to say that I really liked the Freeport revamp, and am looking forward to the same treatment for Qeynos.

I really don't understand all the fuss about bringing back the Isle of Refuge. It wasn't all that exciting, really. The modern starting zones have much better designed quest series and rewards, and do a superior job introducing the game to new players and giving them direction. The isle was just a smallish, linear zone containing a few unrelated quests with very little relevance to the overall lore of the game world. The current starting areas do a much better job setting-up the culture of the various cities and the races within them. Also, the isle only get you to level 6 before you got dumped into Qeynos/Freeport and given some vague instructions regarding earning citizenship. The new zones provide new players with a much more structured content path all the way to level 20, allowing them to develop more familiarity with their character and investment in the game before being thrown into the sandbox.

Personally, I like that I have 4 unique starting areas to choose from when I create a new alt, which allows me to pursue a path that suits the character. Each of the modern starting areas has its own theme, rather than just a melting-pot, "generic fantasy city". The Freeport revamp really added some depth of character to that city, and I am looking forward to my main character's home getting a similar treatment.

You obviousuly do not put yourself in the place of a new player. You have no idea how confusing it can be for someone really new when they are thrown into a huge world with little information.

Isle of refuge had everything and taught them a bit about leveling, crafting, resource gathering, collections, instances, names. All that in a small place so that it wasn't too confusing.

DamselInDistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:33 AM   #21
Brigh

Loremaster

DamselInDistress wrote:

The_Cheeseman wrote:

You obviousuly do not put yourself in the place of a new player. You have no idea how confusing it can be for someone really new when they are thrown into a huge world with little information.

Isle of refuge had everything and taught them a bit about leveling, crafting, resource gathering, collections, instances, names. All that in a small place so that it wasn't too confusing.

The new starting areas do that too.

-Stephen Colbert

CoD3 double XP Rank Up promotion lesson for kids
Brigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:44 AM   #22
The_Cheeseman

Loremaster

DamselInDistress wrote:

I have to wonder if you even read my post. If you did, you'd know that I spent an entire paragraph describing how I feel the modern starting areas do a better job introducing new players to the game world than the Isle of Refuge did.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:05 AM   #23
Mohee

Lord

I think the isle of refuge was a much better tutorial than the new zones. The lore, voice overs and overall environment made it much more immersive and easier to get drawn into the game. Also, the beginning boat scene, everything about it drew that players into the game right away, it was so cinematic, high quality, as if you were controlling a movie.

The new zones are so linear. They are quite (no voice-overs) and as a newbie, you are forced to read a ton of pop ups in order to really learn the basics of the game. I think more people learn easier and have a much better time doing it when NPC's themselves are talking to you, explaining, telling you things that you need to know. Most importantly, it was FAR more immersive!!! 

It's easy for a lot of old players that were there in the beginning to scuff at the old Isle of Refuge, but wasn't it a much more immersive, cinematic, fun experience to go through when you first started up the game?

EQ'ing since 1999
Old 04-30-2012, 09:11 AM   #24
Katz

Loremaster

The thing is, if you don't like the suburbs (or in the past the isles), guess what, you didn't have to use them.    So people who don't like them or don't care, then could just stay away.

However, if you do like them, and are really annoyed that they are gone, you have no recourse if they are gone.  

I also don't understand removing areas as a form of new content.   Hey guys!  We have decreased the size of the city by half and its adding to the game!!!  Look at the old versus new Freeport map.    I really think you can add new quests in and change the colors without closing down half the city.

It's like having a theatre in a city that many people enjoy.  Then the guy comes in that says, hey, lets put a fence around that part of the city and now no one can go there but once!!!!   And some of the people say, I don't care, I didn't go to the theatre.   Nevermind that it annoyed the heck out of the people who went there often.

Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:51 AM   #25
feldon30

Fansite Staff

The promise, the REASON for removing the neighborhoods and suburbs from Freeport, was that interesting, dynamic things would be done with them as instances. Did that happen? No. The quests that take you into the newly instanced neighborhoods while having nice dialogue and full stories, still require killing 10 rats and clicking 6 boxes. The exact same thing could have been done without changing the neighborhoods to instances. And it probably would have taken less dev effort.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:20 PM   #26
Nailoo
Server: Unrest

Loremaster

The_Cheeseman wrote:

Have to disagree with you here.  The Isle was a great way for new players to learn the basics of the game before heading off into the unknown.  It also added to the lore and explained why things were they way they were. 

Also, you say that you like having 4 unique starting areas that suit your toons, but when you could start in FP and Qeynos there were more than 10 starting villages.  Almost 20 if you count all the little connecting zones within the two cities.  Each race had a special area that they made into their home as well as they could. 

As far as the old zones being linear, I have to disagree there as well.  The quests in Willowwood, Baubleshire, Castleview etc. were all different.  You helped out your village to earn citizenship in different ways, some went to Oakmyst others to the Peat Bog or wherever.  If you were brave or adventuresome enough, you could sneak to other villages be amazed at how different they were to your own village and actually get different quests there.  

When you were big enough they sent out into Antonica.  The size and all the different quests were almost overwhelming.  You weren't forced to go in one direction, you could get quests from around the lighthouse, the little keeps, the Claymore area or the little inn.  After that depending on which direction you chose, you got quests from the Oracle Tower, Windstalker Village or the gnoll / coven area.  There were multiple little dungeons (Lighthouse, Firemyst, Tomb of Varsoon etc.) that you were sometimes given quests for and other time just stumbled upon by exploring.  On top of that is Blackburrow and Stormhold, two huge dungeons with huge level range, multiple entrances, hidden areas etc.  All of that eventually led you to the Steppes, but the path there could be really different depending on the person.  It wasn't uncommon to run into someone that didn't even know about a place you had spent a good amount of time in or for them to show you something you didn't know was there.  

That doesn't happen and doesn't exist with the new starting areas.  

Old 04-30-2012, 12:42 PM   #27
Wurm

Loremaster

Keep the city the same but add high level quests on a reqular basis to make people come back to them.

Problem solved.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:14 PM   #28
Tylia

Loremaster

Nailoo wrote:

Have to disagree with you here.  The Isle was a great way for new players to learn the basics of the game before heading off into the unknown.  It also added to the lore and explained why things were they way they were. 

Also, you say that you like having 4 unique starting areas that suit your toons, but when you could start in FP and Qeynos there were more than 10 starting villages.  Almost 20 if you count all the little connecting zones within the two cities.  Each race had a special area that they made into their home as well as they could. 

As far as the old zones being linear, I have to disagree there as well.  The quests in Willowwood, Baubleshire, Castleview etc. were all different.  You helped out your village to earn citizenship in different ways, some went to Oakmyst others to the Peat Bog or wherever.  If you were brave or adventuresome enough, you could sneak to other villages be amazed at how different they were to your own village and actually get different quests there.  

When you were big enough they sent out into Antonica.  The size and all the different quests were almost overwhelming.  You weren't forced to go in one direction, you could get quests from around the lighthouse, the little keeps, the Claymore area or the little inn.  After that depending on which direction you chose, you got quests from the Oracle Tower, Windstalker Village or the gnoll / coven area.  There were multiple little dungeons (Lighthouse, Firemyst, Tomb of Varsoon etc.) that you were sometimes given quests for and other time just stumbled upon by exploring.  On top of that is Blackburrow and Stormhold, two huge dungeons with huge level range, multiple entrances, hidden areas etc.  All of that eventually led you to the Steppes, but the path there could be really different depending on the person.  It wasn't uncommon to run into someone that didn't even know about a place you had spent a good amount of time in or for them to show you something you didn't know was there.  

Oh my gosh, you have brought back so many memories.  Even though my first character started in Kelethin, I will never forget the first time I set foot in Antonica, via Butcherblock boat ride to Thundering Steppes and running to  the Antonica gate.  It was like entering a whole new world, and the first time I saw Qeynos was absolutely thrilling.  My next character started on the Isle, and was sent to Qeynos.  I am so disheartened to think of what is in store for Qeynos if the Freeport revamp is any indication.  SMILEY

Old 04-30-2012, 01:51 PM   #29
d1anaw

Loremaster

I am looking forward to it. I hate the constant zoning. I find it hilarious that all these people whining about the burbs going away, but I can zone into any one of them virtually any time of the day and there is no one in any of them other than myself. I think Freeport looks pretty good myself, though I haven't been in the "new" Freeport enough to get used to where everything is. I think people just whine for the sake of whining or just don't like change, which considering the nature of the game is rather ironic.

d1anaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:56 PM   #30
d1anaw

Loremaster

Nailoo wrote:

The_Cheeseman wrote:

I think the Isle of Refuge served it's purpose at the time. The game was brand new and there wasn't as much of the world developed. But it's been years now and it outgrew it's usefulness. And when the game was new, all the little "town" quests were a great way to get started, but again, things are different, time has past and there is more opportunity for new players now that did not exist then. And for those of us who've been around, starting a new character when you've done the same things over and over does get old. Perhaps instead of making it a requirement, if it must be back, make it an option. Myself, I think it's time has past. The last few characters I started there I didn't even finish or even start on some of them there because it was old by then, BTDT.

d1anaw is offline   Reply With Quote