EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > Expansions and Adventure Packs
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-08-2011, 09:46 AM   #1
bheam

Loremaster

Someone REALLY needs to take a look at how detrimental the introduction of Mercenaries were to EQ1...

Instead create a system for dungeon queueing like WoW has, if you're trying to counter problems finding a group.

-Michael

bheam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:52 AM   #2
screenid

Loremaster

see other topics on this same subject already  http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...topic_id=502950

I am looking forward to having Mercs

screenid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:41 PM   #3
Zaurus

Loremaster

They are doing a dungeon finder system like WoW as well. Also the mercs are only 1 per character. Check out the live blog of the EQ2 panel here http://eq2wire.com/2011/07/08/live-...ort-and-beyond/ lots of good info.

Zaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:27 AM   #4
Maroger

Loremaster

[email protected] Bazaar wrote:

see other topics on this same subject already  http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...topic_id=502950

I am looking forward to having Mercs

Me TOO I an glad they are putting MERCS in. Great idea!!

Maroger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:48 AM   #5
Lethe5683

Loremaster

bheam wrote:

PLEASE scrap the mercenaries plan, it will kill EQ2

No.

Lethe5683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:53 AM   #6
darwich

Loremaster

the world is [email protected][email protected][email protected]!2231121~
darwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:23 PM   #7
Amanathia

Loremaster

You do realize you won't be able to hire 4 of them and run around soloing all the group content, right? From my understanding you can hire one per character. It's actually quite well thought out.
Amanathia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:36 PM   #8
Zabjade

Loremaster

Which is enough to get some things done, when you need to go on a quest in unpopular zones and need extra muscle or heels, Groups are fine for popular content. (Not that I want to be sheep pulled to a random zone)

Old 07-13-2011, 03:38 PM   #9
Seidhkona

Loremaster

Please note that since AT LEAST LU13, every change SOE announces has been met with cries of "Oh noes! This change will destroy EQ2! ZOMGBBQ!!!!!1111!"  Same thing when any new game comes out.

What really happens is that people stamp their little feet, throw their hissy on the forums, and nothing actually happens bad.  Some people may drop the game for a while, but most come back.

Don't be Chicken Little. The sky is not falling. Wait and see how it works.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:45 PM   #10
NardacMM

Loremaster

[email protected] DLere wrote:

Please note that since AT LEAST LU13, every change SOE announces has been met with cries of "Oh noes! This change will destroy EQ2! ZOMGBBQ!!!!!1111!"  Same thing when any new game comes out.

What really happens is that people stamp their little feet, throw their hissy on the forums, and nothing actually happens bad.  Some people may drop the game for a while, but most come back.

Don't be Chicken Little. The sky is not falling. Wait and see how it works.

I will admit that back in EQ1, i was one of these people. I always assumed the worst would come out of these massive changes.  As time went on, I realized that there are very few changes that have negatively affected me in either EQ1 or EQ2. Now I mock the sky-fallers with derision.  The sky is not falling, only the moon.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:44 AM   #11
OutcastBlade

Loremaster

Mercenaries were going to kill EQ1 too..... but its going stronger than ever.

Mercenaries will never replace a good healer/dps/tank/utility. So relax. Bad players will still get groups over mercs.

OutcastBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:43 PM   #12
Trensharo

Loremaster

I know for sure I'll be boxing Instances with them.  They don't need to be great.  They just need to be functional.

I like how people claim it's going to kill this game when this game is only barely alive these days...

Seriously, let's get real...

Trensharo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:05 AM   #13
Ryai
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Paper Tigers

Loremaster

Mercs will breathe new life into it if anything. You want to unbreak the game, give raiders a reason to run heroic instances.
Ryai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:34 PM   #14
Felshades

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Mercs will breathe new life into it if anything. You want to unbreak the game, give raiders a reason to run heroic instances.

Or just stop focusing on raiding being the end all be all.

Felshades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:44 AM   #15
Ryai
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Paper Tigers

Loremaster

Raiding is less than a quarter of dev time. The hardest content should result in the best loot. Anything else and your game design is horribly flawed.
Ryai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:45 AM   #16
Knives
Server: Everfrost
Guild: The Fallen Legion

Loremaster

Amanathia wrote:

You do realize you won't be able to hire 4 of them and run around soloing all the group content, right? From my understanding you can hire one per character. It's actually quite well thought out.

In EverQuest (which has had mercenaries for quite some time now) I have no problems running a new toon through group content. Yes, you only get one merc (healer, tank, or dps) but that's all you need. Until you get to end game, the tank merc holds aggro better than most players and does great dps. The healer never seems to run out of mana, always heals on time, and offers the best buffs for that level.

I'm not saying mercs will kill EQ2 (they won't) but it will kill what little pre-end-game social aspect the game has left. Low level players are already powerful enough to solo most heroic content, with mercs they'll be able to run through any group content up to the 60s or 70s. In my opinion, they should be balancing low level content so players are encouraged to group, not offering yet another tool for turning this game into a single-player experience.

Knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:38 PM   #17
Gaige

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Without raiding what would people do at endgame for years at a time?

Old 07-16-2011, 01:16 PM   #18
therodge

Loremaster

Gaige wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Gaige really? i didnt think you were so disconnected.

therodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:19 AM   #19
Winter

Crazy for Fae!

Really, I think the mercenaries have potential to keep the game alive for much of the player base. Think about it - the couple that doesn't have time to get a group together but wants to enjoy some heroic quests, the loner who wants to take down some more difficult enemies, the person sitting out from raid that wants to do SOMETHING but doesn't want to get in a group unless they're called on for raid... I mean, there are so many practical reasons for mercenaries. Players will still be better than mercenaries because they're AI - so it doesn't render grouping obsolete or anything like that. I know this sounds resoundingly positive of me, but I do have some concerns and reservations about it as well - but I want to wait and hear more details over the next few months rather than speculate.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:08 AM   #20
Trensharo

Loremaster

therodge wrote:

Gaige wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Answer his questions, don't try but fail to insult him.

Higher end players need a reason to log in outside of raids, and at the moment there really isn't.  Right now you get more value out of your off-raid time playing WoW or RIFT.  It's just the way things are.

Without raiding there would be no reason to log in.  There barely is a reason to log in RIGHT NOW outside of Raiding except to Twink Alts or rerun the raid content on raid alts.

I can log in for 10 hours and guarantee you most of that time is spent sitting around chatting.  You don't have to run useless heroics to socialize with people in an MMORPG game.  I can do that on Ventrillo or TeamSpeak while I play another game, even.

Trensharo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:05 PM   #21
Knives
Server: Everfrost
Guild: The Fallen Legion

Loremaster

therodge wrote:

Gaige wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Answer his questions, don't try but fail to insult him.

Higher end players need a reason to log in outside of raids, and at the moment there really isn't.  Right now you get more value out of your off-raid time playing WoW or RIFT.  It's just the way things are.

Without raiding there would be no reason to log in.  There barely is a reason to log in RIGHT NOW outside of Raiding except to Twink Alts or rerun the raid content on raid alts.

I can log in for 10 hours and guarantee you most of that time is spent sitting around chatting.  You don't have to run useless heroics to socialize with people in an MMORPG game.  I can do that on Ventrillo or TeamSpeak while I play another game, even.

I think sometimes raiders forget that not all end-game players have the goal of being a raider. I was only a raider for one expansion, but I've been here "for years at a time" logging in every day at the level cap. In fact, when I WAS a raider I was the least interested in logging in - I'd log in for the raids then log out until the next raid, running the same monotonous content just wasn't for me. I'm not interested in raiding, but I log in every day to interact with my guild - we run current-level instances, go back to old expansion content that we haven't done in years, or just pick a random quest someone in the guild needs finished and work off of that. The end-game is only the smallest percentage of the game.But, I'm not quite sure how a topic on mercenaries turned into a discussion on end-game.

Knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:34 PM   #22
feldon30

Fansite Staff

Nobody is going to replace a level 90 geared out player with a mercenary and run DoV groups except maybe Pools. Mercs are to have a helping hand when leveling an alt. The end.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:46 PM   #23
Zabjade

Loremaster

I think it all depends on your play-style and time of play.

I know that sometimes when I would get in a group to do certain quest I would be forced to backtrack while the group members who did not know of the quest  would catch up, and once they catch up they drop group leaving me back at square one.

Probably one reason I primarily Solo now, I do interact with people in the chat channels and occasional groups, Still they are usually interested in getting X done while I need to get Y done elsewhere.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:30 PM   #24
Gaige

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

The end-game is only the smallest percentage of the game.

To a tiny minority of players, perhaps.  However, what actual guilds spend time in game doing would dictate otherwise.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:57 PM   #25
Gladiolus

Loremaster

Not having played EQ1, I don't know what the mercenaries are like, but if they're anything like the heroes/henchmen in Guild Wars, it'll be the most interesting suggestion I've heard in EQ2 in a long time.

Gladiolus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:28 AM   #26
CorpseGoddess

Loremaster

feldon30 wrote:

Nobody is going to replace a level 90 geared out player with a mercenary and run DoV groups except maybe Pools. Mercs are to have a helping hand when leveling an alt. The end.

Respectfully disagree, Feldon.  I'm primarily a solo player, it's just my style.  That's why my 90 main is a bruiser.  Mercs simply mean I can more confidently solo and solo in perhaps more places than I can now.  I'm looking forward to them for exactly that reason.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:29 AM   #27
MurFalad

Loremaster

I don't know Rift, but since its basically a clone of WoW which I do know then crafting can be struck off as both useless and uninvolving.

Both games have no longterm value to their AA's (WoW's are earnt while levelling, Rift has yet to add them in).

Neither have housing, Rift has EQ2's collections (seeing how liberally they're strewn around Kos to RoK zones I guess I know where the enthusiasm for them came from SMILEY ).

So the question has to be, what do you find to do in those games that is useful outside of raiding?

Or do you just not raid in those games?

MurFalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:36 AM   #28
MurFalad

Loremaster

Gladiolus wrote:

Not having played EQ1, I don't know what the mercenaries are like, but if they're anything like the heroes/henchmen in Guild Wars, it'll be the most interesting suggestion I've heard in EQ2 in a long time.

That's the most positive way I can think about them too, in Guildwars they really were filler, people would always want a real person over a henchman, even a second spec healer was preferable/equal to a henchman healer.

I'm intrugued too how they will look, and what sort of longterm customisation we'll be able to do here (I'd like to see people able to recruit racial/faction ones).

But how it will work with EQ2's levelling and much less even power throughout the game I'm not sure, looking at what Mentoring has become I just fear that it will trivialise even further the lower level instances.  If so then its not going to encourage grouping at lower levels, which in turn really relies on the player either enjoying soloing a lot or having the patience to stick it out until 90.

MurFalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:52 AM   #29
retro_guy

Loremaster

I'm looking forward to mercs being added.

The only time I get to play is when my 18 month old son is asleep, and I very seldom group because as luck would have it, as soon as I do, he wakes up and I have to go AFK. That's not fair on a group, so the only time I've grouped in the last 6 months is a one time guild group.

This really limits what I can do in the game, so having a merc who doesn't care if I got afk or have to log suddenly will be really good.

It will be nice to mentor down and clear out some of the many heroic quests in my journal and adventure in a few areas I couldn't otherwise solo.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:50 AM   #30
Dokkon19

Loremaster

Just as the post above me,, i've got kids and worse a wife that demands my time, I've got heroic questing to do, but don't always have time to find a group and I feel like a jackarse when i have to bail on them.  Bout time I got a little support but that merc better keep his hands out of my loot.

Dokkon19 is offline   Reply With Quote