EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Terrors of Thalumbra Beta > General Beta Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 11:49 PM   #1
Kuulei

As both, an adventurer and crafter, I will have to agree as well. If you want the bragging rights, you'll just have to leave the guildhall and earn status.
Old 10-31-2015, 12:25 AM   #2
Iuvili

I don't need you to para phrase anything for me; and, I am not arguing. I am simply asking questions and pointing things out.
I suppose it's so much better to make xx-amount of free lvl 90s and do the Newsies quest once a month. If the whole issue is to have different options, then why take one away? Still a valid question.

I really don't think anyone levels their guild solely by doing rush orders. But, it is nice to have that option available when one doesn't feel like doing anything else.

Old 10-31-2015, 12:25 AM   #3
Deveryn

The status reward on that is negligible. You'll still have faster gains on a single crafter vs. a group running through.
Old 10-31-2015, 12:33 AM   #4
Deveryn

edited
Old 10-31-2015, 12:40 AM   #5
Pauly

as already pointed out.. I guess its a good idea. Why stand around doing writs for hours and hours when I can just grab a Newsies quest for a few million status. As long as we have a viable way to gain status playing the way we currently already play, its not an issue. If I have to level all my crafters to do adventure content.. thats a no go.

As long as I can log in and say "Gonna work on guild status for a few hours" and actually have a method to do that.

I just fear that the method will be to award stupid amounts of status to adv solo/group dungeons.. which is not crafting related at all. Just have to wait and see. I may just be paranoid for nothing.
Old 10-31-2015, 04:39 PM   #6
chordite

I think that toons that are not at max level (ts or adv) should receive full benefits (personal and guild status) for their efforts at leveling via writs. On the other hand I can see why max level toons grinding writs is objectionable and why more interesting alternatives should be provided.

Old 10-31-2015, 05:39 PM   #7
Griffon Lady

Will it still be possible for small guilds to level up after that? Or are we trying to get people who are not thrilled with drama and such to quit the game? -.- I happen to me EXTREMELY proud of my 1 person guild. One friend and my husband helped me get it to 95, then I soloed it to 100. Would you like me to just leave since I'm not a herd beast?

Here's how most of the people I know personally are. We decorate. We venture out once in awhile for furniture or plat to buy more furniture or materials to make furniture. We buy currency for the marketplace to buy more furniture. Some of us made furniture on our computers to put on Player Studio. Due to all this, we don't generally commiserate with groups or raids often (With some exceptions, of course). You don't hear from us because we are entertaining ourselves with all the placeable goodies and houses, but it is a legitimate playstyle. A fair few of us have one person guild halls just so we can decorate them (And yes, that is the sole reason I got a tier 4; 2000 item count. The depots and other amenities are glorious as well. ^_^)

I know there are entitled people out there howling about how no one will play with them or join their guild for them to rule over, and that everyone in the game should be forced to play their way, but can't we leave a bit of leeway for other playstyles?

I'm not saying the world will end if this one thing happens, but I am saying it might set a trend of funnelling people together whether they like it or not, and quite frankly, the company can't afford to lose all the lone wolves that are happy the way they are.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:31 PM   #8
Mermut

Are crafters going to be able to contribute towards guild levels post 101 or is it going to be an 'adventure only' thing?
Old 11-01-2015, 02:39 AM   #9
Deveryn

Congrats on getting to 100. I just recently hit 88 on my own. However, I've long been at a point where the amenities and levels don't really matter. They're there to serve me, but I do just fine accessing the bulk of what a crafter would find essential right in my home. Keeping anything too expensive is more of a burden on me than anything else.

So far, the amenities available appear to be limited to one that buffs stats. For someone that only decorates and occasionally make their way out of their homes and halls to make plat, it doesn't seem like you're really missing out on much.

I think you need to take another look at what your own situation is and reassess the value of trying to achieve some number that really adds nothing of value to your gameplay. It's letting OCD / completionist behavior (or whatever you want to call it) get the best of you.

The whole concept of an MMO is to funnel people together and from that, you have communities form and when you have communities of like-minded people together, it becomes easier to achieve whatever goals you might have and the game is generally more fun. However....

tldr; if you want to keep to yourself, you're free to do that. Just learn to accept the limitations of that style of play.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:17 AM   #10
Brax

Hope there will be "places" for crafters too.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:31 AM   #11
Griffon Lady

I love "TLDR". It lets you know the person doesn't bother reading an entire post before replying. >.> (I always found "TLDR" to be a bit rude, actually...)
I could understand your "accept the limitations" if I was belly aching about not being able to get raid gear, but wanting to keep the game open to as my play styles as possible is the best thing for a game, or any business. Eliminating the solo-able stuff a little at a time is not a good path.
You realise that not everyone plays MMOS for the same reason, right? Your hive mind view is a bit narrow.
Old 11-01-2015, 03:06 PM   #12
Deveryn

If tldr is rude and presumptuous, then you should have picked up the fact that I myself am not the average hive mind. The second sentence in my post was about how I have my own personal guild as well. I'm coming on 16 years of playing MMOs. I have not been blind / deaf all this time. I've played every class and every style. I know not everyone plays MMOs for the same reason.

You may not be belly aching about raid gear, but you're still belly aching over what boils down to a luxury. If you didn't take the tldr route, then you would note my own personal experience with a guild hall. I will add that I even bought a T3 (something I long dreamed of working on) and I ended up going back to a 1 because it felt too big for me and the extra work of writs to keep it going every week felt like too much of a chore.

Solo content is not being eliminated a little bit at a time. As a matter of fact, the support for it has improved greatly in recent years, since solo versions of zones were introduced. Leveling crafters became supremely easy after the vitality / bonus xp change. Solo guild leveling used to be something for the truly committed. Now anyone can breeze through it. My guild log is the best illustration of this. 50 levels took me about 4 years. The next 38, which seemed so far off, came quickly over the last year. The truth is it was never intended to be so easy for one person to do all that and you should be grateful that they've been so kind as to allow this kind of thing to go as far as it has. Again, there is nothing of value to be gained going beyond 100, if you're not going to be sharing it with anyone.

Let's take an honest look at writs:

You get most of your materials from thin air.
You never really lose money on the process.
It's the fastest, easiest, laziest way to build up status. Crafting in general is a non-activity these days, so I wouldn't hold my breath on there being another way to craft status, unless they put some work in as far as gathering materials for said crafts.

I believe there's a point where you should stop being rewarded for such a thing, but the other truth you're missing is, you can probably still turn enough writs into a catalog quest and level the guild that way.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:16 PM   #13
Seni

He was providing a TLDR for others who did not want to read through what he said, he wasn't saying he took that route himself. Personally, I like it when people sum up their walls of text into a short synopsis like that so that if I do not have a huge amount of time I can skim read. If I have the time and want to dive into the details, then I can go ahead and read the entire post.

I understand what you're saying, Dev, but there are entire guilds that contain nothing but crafters who would possibly* be short-changed by this. If it's just me and my one-person guild then no, I don't need to attain levels over 100; what the heck would I do with all those amenities, and how would I pay for upkeep? That is just me, though - other people may want to try to achieve it and have a lot more time on their hands. They would be able to pay for the upkeep and may enjoy the additional amenities that come with higher levels. And they should be allowed to go for it. All-crafter guilds should also not be limited. Limiting factors are never good because.. well, by their nature they are limiting to some Smile, create dev-manufactured roadblocks to honest styles of play, and they give others the perception of being elite because they can do something while others cannot - this creates rifts in the player base and we honestly have more than enough of those already.

*All that being said, I have not seen what the actual changes will be, and everyone may be jumping the gun. They could be putting in many more ways for crafter/personal guilds to level rather than just do writs. I'd love something more interesting that doesn't put me to sleep or make my carpal tunnel worse. So I'll wait and see what the change actually is first.. then freak out if needed.

TLDR; The change could be a more varied way to level - I'll wait and see.

Old 11-01-2015, 11:10 PM   #14
Alenna

I"d like to know this as well
Old 11-02-2015, 07:21 AM   #15
Griffon Lady

Onc
Once again you are ignoring the simple fact that it is a change that could (If I'm correct in my assumption that raid content and heroic content will be the new method of leveling a guild) make things more difficult or impossible for a formally acceptable method of play. Why do people fight to defend things that are not the best solution?

Also, When, exactly, did I say crafting was how I leveled up my guild? I have 6 accounts and I run adventure writs. I don't have any programs to run them for me, I simply log them in, send them all to my guild hall, pick up the writs on each one, take the guild flag guy to the beginning of the "path" the writs will lead me on, autofollow on my main character, and hope that none of them lag out or get stuck on terrain. A friend of mine and I teamed up getting alts through the Nebulous Newsies quest, which was fun on the few high level toons we had, but frustrating enough to make us both quit for a while on our lower level toons.

Another batch of words you are putting in my mouth is "not sharing with anyone". I leave all but the consumables open to visitors, I have an alt down by Nagafen's Lair that I pop a guild flag there for whenever someone needs to talk to the dragon, and I have both Depots, one for the expensive stuff, and the other open for public use. I may not be social, but I do like to help people as long as they aren't just using me (Hence my dislike for social interactions. I like to make people happy, and people cannot seem to help themselves from taking as much advantage as possible, so I just avoid most of them.. that and there are a lot of jerks out there.)

Writs in general were what will not be awarding guild experience. What other methods of gaining status are there? HQs (not much and have heroic/epic content required), selling shinies (and again, not much xp for the guild, not to mention much more use in selling or using shinies), and selling tokens, which give a decent amount of status, but they added that after I got max lvl on my guild, so I don't actually know if they do contribute to the guild level.

Basically what I'm saying here is, limiting what types of people can level a guild or character or skill (or any thing in a game that requires paying patrons) when it was open to a wider audience just kills it for the people who used to be able to do whatever it was that was changed.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:11 PM   #16
Mermut

If that is the case, are you going to make it so the status gained from selling mercs from the merc crates doesn't add to guild exp once you hit guild level 101 too? Buying guild exp with real money isn't really meaningful either.
Old 11-04-2015, 02:03 AM   #17
Griffon Lady

Oh god... That makes me wonder.... are they going to have us buy the status once they strangle out writs?
Old 11-04-2015, 02:05 AM   #18
Gninja

Developer

Crafting and Adventure quests and missions will give status.
Old 11-04-2015, 02:13 AM   #19
Griffon Lady

Will that include the writs though? Has that plan changed? Excluding guild experience from repeatable quests is the big worry here for a lot of us. Not every one grinds it out for hours. I pick them up when I'm questing and re-pick them up as I finish them if I'm still questing in the same area. (I'm not saying I don't grind for hours, but it's actually kind of relaxing after a busy day. XD)
Old 11-04-2015, 02:17 AM   #20
Gninja

Developer

Writs will not give your guild status toward leveling the guild above level 101. Missions and tradeskill quests WILL give staus toward leveling guilds over 101.
Old 11-04-2015, 02:43 AM   #21
Mystfit

A
Are these the only methods of acquiring status for the guild (well besides trinkets and such)? I understand totally wanting to curb writs, esp rush order ts writs. I can do them in about 2 minutes and earn 30K status over and over and over, but right now I recall only one daily (ts) mission for tser's. That's like a massive culture shock!

Old 11-04-2015, 11:41 AM   #22
Mystfit

Also, will writs still give personal status? I'm trying to get 3 quests done that require 37 million status points EACH.
Obviously with a few missions each day, I'll be quite dead before I get enough Wink

Old 11-04-2015, 12:22 PM   #23
Kuulei

Heritage quests, Signature quests, crafting and adventure quests, killing contested named, clearing dungeons, raiding and selling status items.
Seems like there are and will be many ways to level the guild(s) past 101. The only way you won't be able to level past 101, is sitting in a coma-like-state crafting writ after writ.
It's time to venture out and smell the jum jum
Old 11-04-2015, 12:49 PM   #24
Mystfit

Many of the things you list are adventure things that can be repeated. Tradeskill doesn't SEEM (I realize we haven't seen it fully implemented) to have alot of repeatable options. One could go to each of the earlier expansions and do it's daily, but that's still like 4? quests a day? I don't disagree that tradeskill quests need to be..diminished in importance but we also don't need famine where there once was feast.

Old 11-04-2015, 04:22 PM   #25
Gninja

Developer

Yes, they will still grant personal status. There will be repeatable quests that give status over 101 just not ones where you can repeat them infinitely standing in one spot and rarely/never moving.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:55 PM   #26
Mystfit

I considered it mad skillz to be able to open my window, stand in the right spot and get writs, do them and turn them in without ever moving Smile

Old 11-04-2015, 06:19 PM   #27
Cloudrat

What the heck does moving the avatar have to do with the price of tea in China?? I find it challenging to follow chats , answer questions and still not mess up a rush order. I am tired of people decided my efforts are not as good as yours that one method of play or enjoyment is better than another , that one thing is too easy because they find it so. Seriously add ways to build the guilds give more choices but STOP taking away choices to do it. The piddly amount of status given by writs and not just the high ones, can't be such a threat to the OP/ dumb down set that it should be taken away from the slower disabled different playstyle people.

BROKEN CRAYONS STILL COLOR !

Old 11-04-2015, 06:33 PM   #28
Cloudrat

Your description of doing writs might be the way your do them. Its a shame that you can't get the fun and excitement I do when I do rush orders. Getting a toon organized, getting the right mats, making sure I have the right recipes , rushing to broker if I run out of something mid writ (and even in big guilds that can happen). Talking to others while maintaining concentration so In don't waste mats. It's fun and exhilarating and lots more fun and social than cleaning out bags and selling stuff over and over after mowing down mobs lol talk about mind numbing. Smell the elbow grease, it's better than pieSmile

Old 11-04-2015, 07:09 PM   #29
Avirodar

You may get an adrenaline hit from the the occasional dash to a nearby broker, to buy mats in the middle of a writ, but the logic behind the change remains sound. They want guilds leveled up beyond 100 by people actually going out and doing stuff, not standing in the exact same spot, grinding tradeskill writs for hours on end (except for those emergency broker runs).

Chaining tradeskill writs will still be an amazing way to level a tradeskill, and also help get a guild up to 100.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:25 PM   #30
Harzel

The distinction in perceived value between ts writs and mindlessly killing mobs is completely subjective. There is no "logic" to it.
Closed Thread