EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

 

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2012, 03:34 PM   #1
Alazarz
Server: Nagafen

Loremaster
Alazarz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 380
Default

I'm getting bored with swtor.I want to come back to eq2.Is eq2 f2p now? Last I played, DOV was nearing an end.What's the new Xpac like?Is it good?Has pvp gotten any better or worse? How is the raid content?

Someone from Beacon or Onyx or 40oz ninjaz hola at me!

Alazarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:49 PM   #2
Raknid

Loremaster
Raknid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,421
Default

Xaviour wrote:

I'm getting bored with swtor.I want to come back to eq2.Is eq2 f2p now? Last I played, DOV was nearing an end.What's the new Xpac like?Is it good?Has pvp gotten any better or worse? How is the raid content?

Someone from Beacon or Onyx or 40oz ninjaz hola at me!

If you have broken your habit it might not be a bad idea to not let yourself be sucked back in.

F2P gets you 4 characters, limited clases, limited races, no legendary or fabled equipment unless you buy unlockers, and same for spells.

New expansion: Mercs are overpowered at <90, but at least there is "someone" to group with, Dungeon Maker is the home decorators dream come true if you just will open up your wallet, Beastlords are completely out of line, but hey we new that was coming, and people complain because the free reward they get from a two minute quest on their apprentices, which is worth north of 1000plat, are too rare, amd reforging is hit or miss depending on your class since you are limited on what you can reforge from and to.

DoV...well it will be almost a year before they get new group content into the game since they pushed back the GU. No one has cleared all the content yet, and they seem to think that was because of big old bad Crit Mit...which they are completely doing away with...and when I say doing away with I mean removing it from mobs AND Gear and adornments. That will be a joy for them to rebalance don't you think...the mobs and the gear.

PvP hasn't changed last I heard, but hey, promises are in the air...as with everything else.

Probably no new raid content since you left...content that entered the game in a playable state anyway.

So...If I were you...I would re-read my first sentence.

Raknid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
Heinzrick
Server: Runnyeye

Loremaster
Heinzrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 116
Default

To answer the subject question:

It's a new version of unlimited free trial in my opinion.

The experience is very gutted.

The days when fluff and content purchases can keep a company happy are gone.

Heinzrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:59 PM   #4
Alazarz
Server: Nagafen

Loremaster
Alazarz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 380
Default

Phew!! I thought it had gotten so bad that it was actually F2P... Ok then thanks.. Also, its good no new raid content has came out!!(for me anyhow) my gear will still be legit.

What exactly does the new xpac offer besides the merc? Can i just install upto DoV and raid with my guild? Or do I need this new xpac? I assume it contains a new area/island or w/e?

Alazarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #5
Raknid

Loremaster
Raknid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,421
Default

Xaviour wrote:

Phew!! I thought it had gotten so bad that it was actually F2P... Ok then thanks.. Also, its good no new raid content has came out!!(for me anyhow) my gear will still be legit.

What exactly does the new xpac offer besides the merc? Can i just install upto DoV and raid with my guild? Or do I need this new xpac? I assume it contains a new area/island or w/e?

Nope...no content. "Features" only expansion. You really don't need it unless there are 20 AAs you are just aching to have.

Raknid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:04 PM   #6
Heinzrick
Server: Runnyeye

Loremaster
Heinzrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 116
Default

the initial shock of loging in and seeing you char naked might discourage you.

But there's pleanty of treasured gear you can shop for.

Heinzrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:04 PM   #7
Alazarz
Server: Nagafen

Loremaster
Alazarz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 380
Default

Raknid wrote:

Xaviour wrote:

Phew!! I thought it had gotten so bad that it was actually F2P... Ok then thanks.. Also, its good no new raid content has came out!!(for me anyhow) my gear will still be legit.

What exactly does the new xpac offer besides the merc? Can i just install upto DoV and raid with my guild? Or do I need this new xpac? I assume it contains a new area/island or w/e?

Nope...no content. "Features" only expansion. You really don't need it unless there are 20 AAs you are just aching to have.

ewww, well in that case i have to have it!! Thanks for the replys.

Alazarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #8
Gilasil

Loremaster
Gilasil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 907
Default

It's truly free to play but there are limitations if you want to play that way.  Read up on them.  Mostly have to do with what gear you can equip and what level of spells you can scribe.  FTP people can't equip better then mastercrafted for example.  There's some other restrictions as well.  However, I think that if you have an existing character you can keep what you have for free.  Just don't unequip it.  If you plan to spend a lot of time playing you may want to at least invest a one time fee of $5.00 in a silver subscription.

You can also pay the $15/mo for a regular subscription and have access to everything you would have had before the same as before.

The big things about AoD in my mind are a new class (beastlord, a DPS pet scout class), mercenaries, and dungeon maker.  Some people seem to love dungeon maker although I haven't done anything with it.  There's probably some other stuff as well.  Oh yes, they've revamped Freeport and given it a major facelift.  All the regular city zones (north, south, east, and west) are a single zone now.  I think they've redone all the quests too although I've been so busy with other things I haven't had a chance to check that out very much.

As for me, mercenaries and beastlords easily made AoD a great expansion by themselves.  Your mileage may differ.

I also took a break for SWTOR.  In my case it only lasted a few weeks before I was logging into EQ2 again.

Gilasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #9
Raknid

Loremaster
Raknid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,421
Default

Gilasil wrote:

  However, I think that if you have an existing character you can keep what you have for free.  Just don't unequip it.

Nope. It pops off.

Raknid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:11 PM   #10
Alazarz
Server: Nagafen

Loremaster
Alazarz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 380
Default

[email protected] wrote:

the initial shock of loging in and seeing you char naked might discourage you.

But there's pleanty of treasured gear you can shop for.

What!? Nothing that a /petition cant fix

Alazarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:14 PM   #11
Raknid

Loremaster
Raknid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,421
Default

Xaviour wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

the initial shock of loging in and seeing you char naked might discourage you.

But there's pleanty of treasured gear you can shop for.

What!? Nothing that a /petition cant fix

I am not sure you understand what they are saying. Your gear will pop off unless it is treasured, and since most quest rewards and drops at 90 are legendary or fable, you will more than likley be naked. This is easily rectified by spending ~$7.50 to get unlockers so that you can reequip your gear.

Raknid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:22 PM   #12
Alazarz
Server: Nagafen

Loremaster
Alazarz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 380
Default

Raknid wrote:

Xaviour wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

the initial shock of loging in and seeing you char naked might discourage you.

But there's pleanty of treasured gear you can shop for.

What!? Nothing that a /petition cant fix

I am not sure you understand what they are saying. Your gear will pop off unless it is treasured, and since most quest rewards and drops at 90 are legendary or fable, you will more than likley be naked. This is easily rectified by spending ~$7.50 to get unlockers so that you can reequip your gear.

So you're saying that i have to spend ~7.50 to re-equip my DoV raid gear?Are you talking about SC? I don't understand.I do recall on several occasions after big updates and/or expansions having to re-equip gear or w/e..Is this what your talking about?What are these 'unlockers' you speak of?Sounds like a bunch of bull**** to me haha

Alazarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:24 PM   #13
Onorem

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,155
Default

Xaviour wrote:

Raknid wrote:

Xaviour wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

the initial shock of loging in and seeing you char naked might discourage you.

But there's pleanty of treasured gear you can shop for.

What!? Nothing that a /petition cant fix

I am not sure you understand what they are saying. Your gear will pop off unless it is treasured, and since most quest rewards and drops at 90 are legendary or fable, you will more than likley be naked. This is easily rectified by spending ~$7.50 to get unlockers so that you can reequip your gear.

So you're saying that i have to spend ~7.50 to re-equip my DoV raid gear?Are you talking about SC? I don't understand.I do recall on several occasions after big updates and/or expansions having to re-equip gear or w/e..Is this what your talking about?What are these 'unlockers' you speak of?Sounds like a bunch of bull**** to me haha

Yes. If you come back as a free player, you have to pay to equip the gear you already had if it is legendary or above.

The cash shop sells item unlockers for something like 1.50 for 5 charges.

__________________
_________________________________
"EQ2 is not a "free to play" game, so microtransactions are unlikely to ever have the "front seat" role that they have in F2P games" - SmokeJumper - 4/20/2010
Onorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:33 PM   #14
Alazarz
Server: Nagafen

Loremaster
Alazarz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 380
Default

Onorem wrote:

Xaviour wrote:

Raknid wrote:

Xaviour wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

the initial shock of loging in and seeing you char naked might discourage you.

But there's pleanty of treasured gear you can shop for.

What!? Nothing that a /petition cant fix

I am not sure you understand what they are saying. Your gear will pop off unless it is treasured, and since most quest rewards and drops at 90 are legendary or fable, you will more than likley be naked. This is easily rectified by spending ~$7.50 to get unlockers so that you can reequip your gear.

So you're saying that i have to spend ~7.50 to re-equip my DoV raid gear?Are you talking about SC? I don't understand.I do recall on several occasions after big updates and/or expansions having to re-equip gear or w/e..Is this what your talking about?What are these 'unlockers' you speak of?Sounds like a bunch of bull**** to me haha

Yes. If you come back as a free player, you have to pay to equip the gear you already had if it is legendary or above.

The cash shop sells item unlockers for something like 1.50 for 5 charges.

Ahh ok I see.Thanks for clarifying this.I would never come back as F2P seeing as F2P eq2 has always had its limitations.I've been away for a few months and some ignorant 'WoW' clown guildies in SWTOR made fun of me about EQ2 because they claimed it was entirely F2P.. i was initially in shock, until I came here and got the correct answer. I thought SOE went deep6 finally and just made the entire game F2P lol. phew!! <3 eq2 fo lifez!

Alazarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:42 PM   #15
Brigh

Loremaster
Brigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,159
Default

I fear making a statement about what "expansion" means to SoE for EQ II now will label me as a troll, as it did in another thread, so I will not clarify what it means for the OP...

__________________
Anything you can achieve through hard work, you can also just buy.

-Stephen Colbert

CoD3 double XP Rank Up promotion lesson for kids
Brigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #16
Alazarz
Server: Nagafen

Loremaster
Alazarz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 380
Default

Brigh wrote:

I fear making a statement about what "expansion" means to SoE for EQ II now will label me as a troll, as it did in another thread, so I will not clarify what it means for the OP...

No worries.So..there's not a new expansion called age of discovery?or are you merely being sarcastic because it introduced no new content?

Alazarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:50 PM   #17
darwich

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 840
Default

while in the past F2P meant fail, it wont be in the future.. companies are seeing the microtransaction SC shops and unlockers as a way to make more money.
darwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #18
SOE-MOD-07

Community Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 109
Default

This post has moved: /eq2/posts/preList.m?topic_id=50281...post_id=5713108 Off Topic
SOE-MOD-07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:57 PM   #19
SOE-MOD-07

Community Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 109
Default

This post has moved: /eq2/posts/preList.m?topic_id=50281...post_id=5713111 Off Topic
SOE-MOD-07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:38 PM   #20
SOE-MOD-07

Community Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 109
Default

This post has moved: /eq2/posts/preList.m?topic_id=50281...post_id=5713124 Off topic
SOE-MOD-07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:40 PM   #21
SOE-MOD-07

Community Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 109
Default

Let's stay on topic please and not be offensive. SMILEY

SOE-MOD-07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:38 PM   #22
Enica
Server: Everfrost
Guild: Casual Alliance
Rank: Distinguished Member

Loremaster
Enica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 513
Default

Xaviour wrote:

Brigh wrote:

I fear making a statement about what "expansion" means to SoE for EQ II now will label me as a troll, as it did in another thread, so I will not clarify what it means for the OP...

No worries.So..there's not a new expansion called age of discovery?or are you merely being sarcastic because it introduced no new content?

There is an expansion called Age of Discovery, but it's a new type of expansion. It introduced features, not zones. Research Apprentices, Dungeon Maker, 20 more AA, Reforging and Beastlords. It's not an expansion that you necessarily need (unless you're already capped on your AA, then you might want it).

The rest of DoV is being introduced free in April, provided you already own DoV.

Enica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:35 PM   #23
ashe59

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1
Default

Save yourself the pain . They've bastardized this game to the point where it isnt even EQ2 anymore , Sony was always dictatorial but the things they expect you to pay for on the cash shop are ludicrous. I thought about coming back to play and logged in my bruiser to find that i have no gear left because all my fabled/mythic gear now requires some stupid store item to unlock or i cant wear it .

ashe59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:25 AM   #24
Rendoir

Loremaster
Rendoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 212
Default

Hey Xaviour, 

Don't bother is the short answer. 

EQ2 is irrevocably ruined now - I'm playing swtor too, and a bit bored of it, but even though I've got several fully geared toons, really tons of plat, lots of friends to chat to on splitty and a paid up sub for the next 3 months I don;t even bother logging in.

The forums revolt me through the sheer quantity of housing posts ( sorry decorators - I kinda admire what you do but I loathe the fact that in what started as an adventure game, read fighting, and been hijacked into a decorating game with so much fluff in it)

I dislike the marketplace, and the fact that game altering items are for sale for real money - read exp pots, master spell research pots, any number of things.

I dislike the fact that I bought 3 copies of AoD only to feel so amazing ripped off due to an utter lack of tangible content. 

There are so many other reasons to not play.

Though - it is what you make it I suppose, and if you can see past the myriad of rip-off tactics, (in my opinion) shoddy dev work and lack of content then it might still be fun for you.

Rendoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:51 AM   #25
darwich

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 840
Default

and yet some of us are completely happy with teh game and feel if you want play free there need to be limitations. a 1 time unlock of 7.50 to reequip your fabled gear and you dont have to pay any monthly charges to continue unless you get something new.. If ya dont like it, pay the 15 a month and have unlimited access... easy solution.. i love the game, decorating, adventure and all.
darwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:54 AM   #26
Hateeternal

Loremaster
Hateeternal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Berlin
Posts: 155
Default

Yes, but your account still gets banned and you can`t log in if something`s wrong with the payment of your gold subscription which, in my humble opinion, is just plain stupid.

Should instead rather tune you down to bronze membership until issues are resolved.

My second account is being banned for like over a month now because of ONE wrong digit in the payment info...

Since PL'ing my lowbies and farming PR were the last fun activities left for me in game (besides raiding)

I chose to switch to another game.

__________________
Ihr seid lästig und habt euch noch nicht entschieden, wen ihr nerven werdet.

SOE Schedule:

8:00: see what isn't broken yet and break it

10:00: ban players complaining about it on the board

11:00: implement stuff noone wants, that breaks other stuff

-repeat-
Hateeternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:12 AM   #27
darwich

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 840
Default

Hateeternal wrote:

Yes, but your account still gets banned and you can`t log in if something`s wrong with the payment of your gold subscription which, in my humble opinion, is just plain stupid.

Should instead rather tune you down to bronze membership until issues are resolved.

My second account is being banned for like over a month now because of ONE wrong digit in the payment info...

Since PL'ing my lowbies and farming PR were the last fun activities left for me in game (besides raiding)

I chose to switch to another game.

So you typo wrong information and blame SOE for the issues?? Entitled much?? How about not Typo-ing your payment information? Did you not develop your typing skills properly?  Wow... SOE should fix your mess up so you can stop placing blame on them...for your failure..

darwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:43 AM   #28
thesiren

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 697
Default

...And it never fails to amaze me that people who formerly could not even log in and play AT ALL if they weren't paying $15 a month are still, several months later (or 18 months later, actually, as Freeport Extended has been up since August 2010) whining about having to pay a measley $1.50 for a stack of unlockers to re-equip their legendaries/fableds as free players.  Or alternatively, they can take five steps to the broker and buy MC or treasured gear for peanuts and put that on their toons.

And not one person whining here has said thank you to SOE for grandfathering in all their pre-existing races and classes so that they can now play them free, nor have they said thank you for being able to continually use all their master spells for free.

thesiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:54 AM   #29
Griffildur
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: First Lords
Rank: Peasant (0-100)

Loremaster
Griffildur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,136
Default

In short , don't bother. Maybe give swtor another chance or try Rift for a bit. Eq2 has been turned in Fluff online and give us your money for everything.

Oh and Prosieben will now handle eq2 in europe so soon you may find that a region lock is in place. Of course Soe does not say anything but if you look at alaplaya.com or whatever it's called ( look under announcements for  ProSieben thread ) you'll see what they are about.

__________________
Griffildur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #30
feldon30

Fansite Staff
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,424
Default

darwich wrote:

and yet some of us are completely happy with teh game and feel if you want play free there need to be limitations. a 1 time unlock of 7.50 to reequip your fabled gear and you dont have to pay any monthly charges to continue unless you get something new.. If ya dont like it, pay the 15 a month and have unlimited access... easy solution.. i love the game, decorating, adventure and all.

I'm paying $15 a month, plus $120 in expansions last year and yet I'm getting MUCH less content per month/quarter/year than at any past year I've been playing EQ2.

feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:06 AM.

vBulletin skin by: CompleteGFX.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All threads and posts originally from the EQ2 and Station forums operated by Sony Online Entertainment. Their use is by express written permission.