EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-30-2012, 08:39 AM   #1
Blissa2362

Loremaster

I have been playing this game off and on sense release date. I have seen the game go through ups and downs. Right now were hurreling to the ground with out a parchute. Sony your so focused on making a quick buck that you cant see the big picture.

F2p players want to do one thing and one thing only and that is play for free. Sure a small precentage will pony up some SC. But they are going to expect a quailty working game and EQ2 is almost totally broken. Once the avarage f2p player encounters enough bugs they are going to quit. And they are going to tell their friends who will tell their friends that EQ2 f2p sucks because the game is full of bugs. Then who will you have buy your SC?

Sony let me tell you a little secret about f2p players, they dont last! They play long enough until the game no longer tickels their fancey and then they quit. The problem with that is you can not build a lasting coummnity with those types of players. A lasting coummnity is what gave you guys jobs for the last 7 years!

Just sense AOD our guild has lost 8 power players, they quit the game. And now my guild is suffering because there are not enough 90 players to put a group together to do anything worth while. And now there are more people talking about quitting.

Soon EQ2 is going to suffer the same fate as FFXI. There isnt going to be enough people to do anything worth while and players are going to quit by the masses. Sony please stop making new market place items twice a week and put all your effort into fixing broken content and put together a real expansion before its too late.

P.S. If you ruin your rep with players, what makes you think people are going to want to buy EQ Next?

Greg

Blissa2362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:56 AM   #2
Griffildur
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: First Lords

Loremaster

Sorry mate, they don't care.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:02 AM   #3
Odys
Server: Storms
Guild: Eternitalis

Loremaster

The current state is mostly there to retain veterans. 

The triviality of the 1-85 games allow vet to bring an alt to 90 in no time. Then time to use inherited gear, gems stocked , armor mold stocked and the massive bank account of your main(s).

For newplayers, i see a quick and trivial 1-85 with no learning on how to play and almost no aas.

Then people mostly stuck in Ohmir gears, with almost nobody doing instances below kael 3. Add to this the lack of cash to buy thrugadin armor gems, low access to shards and a toon lacking 100aas and sometimes more.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:16 AM   #4
Blissa2362

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

The triviality of the 1-85 games allow vet to bring an alt to 90 in no time. Then time to use inherited gear, gems stocked , armor mold stocked and the massive bank account of your main(s).

For newplayers, i see a quick and trivial 1-85 with no learning on how to play and almost no aas.

Then people mostly stuck in Ohmir gears, with almost nobody doing instances below kael 3. Add to this the lack of cash to buy thrugadin armor gems, low access to shards and a toon lacking 100aas and sometimes more.

I have 9 level 90's and I can not find a worth while group to put them in. So whats the point on making 90 number 10?

Trust me on this 98% of those new players you describe will be gone as quickly as they came. Because everyone wants to do end game content and there not going to be doing it in Ohmir gear!

Blissa2362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:30 AM   #5
MrWolfie

Loremaster

What a brilliant post. Not!

What bugs?

How about someone bug checks your grammar?

No. Really. A totally worthless post. Completely non-specific and vague. You might as well have written "this game s.u.c.k.s plz fixed". And if it's so bad that people won't want to stick around - then why are you still here?!?

If you want changes you need to detail each bug as you find it, and state what you did EXACTLY to make it happen. Then you need to keep bumping until each one is addressed by a dev, 'cos we all know that /bug reports have no accountability and just disappear into the ether.

Believe me, EQ2 is head n shoulders above all the other MMOs out there, irrespective of bugs, sloppy programming, the odd crash to desktop and management that only care about $.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:05 AM   #6
Griffildur

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

What a brilliant post. Not!

What bugs?

How about someone bug checks your grammar?

No. Really. A totally worthless post. Completely non-specific and vague. You might as well have written "this game s.u.c.k.s plz fixed". And if it's so bad that people won't want to stick around - then why are you still here?!?

If you want changes you need to detail each bug as you find it, and state what you did EXACTLY to make it happen. Then you need to keep bumping until each one is addressed by a dev, 'cos we all know that /bug reports have no accountability and just disappear into the ether.

Believe me, EQ2 is head n shoulders above all the other MMOs out there, irrespective of bugs, sloppy programming, the odd crash to desktop and management that only care about $.

are you mad bro ?

Old 01-30-2012, 10:40 AM   #7
Raknid

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

What bugs?

You really have the audicity to ask that? Have you been playing this game long? Or long a time with your eyes closed? Or your head someplace other than watching the game?

REALLY? Just to mention a recent big one...I mean have you totally missed on the graphical glitches with quests the last SEVERAL weeks that have even yet to be fixed? Kinda hard for a new player to see quest givers with they have a hovering glowy spot instead of a book or feather.

Raknid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #8
Avirodar
Server: Oasis
Guild: Tyranny

Loremaster

+1 for the comments made by the OP.EQ2 does not have the quality to retain the ADHD FTP crowd, as the client performance is terrible by todays standards, and the bugs in the game continue to pile up. Without the reach to maintain a high and constant rate of new players (like the FTP games on facebook), EQ2 will pay a heavy price for going FTP.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:13 AM   #9
yohann koldheart

Loremaster

Raknid wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

What bugs?

You really have the audicity to ask that? Have you been playing this game long? Or long a time with your eyes closed? Or your head someplace other than watching the game?

REALLY? Just to mention a recent big one...I mean have you totally missed on the graphical glitches with quests the last SEVERAL weeks that have even yet to be fixed? Kinda hard for a new player to see quest givers with they have a hovering glowy spot instead of a book or feather.

disapearing books and feathers is hardly game breaking, plus its not a issue with everyone its random people.

i see them fine, others dont  so i dout this is going to chase anyone away from the game.  its more of a annoyance then anything.

yohann koldheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:16 AM   #10
Griffildur

Loremaster

yohann koldheart wrote:

disapearing books and feathers is hardly game breaking, plus its not a issue with everyone its random people.

i see them fine, others dont  so i dout this is going to chase anyone away from the game.  its more of a annoyance then anything.

Phew, and here I was thinking we have lots of bugs in eq2, but clearly I was wrong.

Apologies gonna go look at my white globes and try to decide if I want to treat them as quests or just pick them up and throw them at you.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #11
Raknid

Loremaster

yohann koldheart wrote:

Raknid wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

What bugs?

Funny Mr. Apologist...I am having a hard time finding where I said it was game breaking in lieu of using that as an example. I am also having a hard time thinking of a single game where a single bug was game breaking and it wasn't the case that it was the TOTALITY of the issues that caused a problem. Can you think of one Mr. A?

Old 01-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #12
Iad

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

What bugs?

I don't know if you know this... but there's these things known as patch notes, they show bug fixes on a weekly basis. Many bugs still exist, tell your friends.

Knowing is half the battle!

Iad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:01 PM   #13
Andok

Loremaster

For forum newbies:

A handful of bugs, most of which the average player will never see = "totally broken"

Andok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:07 PM   #14
feldon30

Fansite Staff

Andok wrote:

I've never done any dungeon more challenging than Ascent so I don't know these problems you are seeing?

FIFY

Denial. It's not just a river in Egypt.

feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:12 PM   #15
Griffildur

Loremaster

Andok wrote:

For forum newbies:

A handful of bugs, most of which the average player will never see = "totally broken"

woot .... a pixie ... must be nice living somewhere over the rainbow like you do SMILEY

Old 01-30-2012, 12:16 PM   #16
Andok

Loremaster

feldon30 wrote:

There's a bug that I don't like, so the game is broken.

FIFY

Denial. It's not just a river in Egypt.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #18
Andok

Loremaster

Raknid wrote:

LOL...my intent was to go five pages back in general gameplay and link the threads (counting ones that were moved) where people complained about various bugs. I started on page 5 but was tuckered out after doing two...here are some links for you. Just dimiss all these various complaints at "your" peril.

The ability of people to complain on these forums isn't in question.  In fact, several people have made it a hobby to complain here.

What is in question is if any of these bugs are really game breaking.  Every piece of software I have ever used has bugs, and bugs will always be part of this (or any) game.  I have encountered several bugs over my many years of playing, and the few that were really game breaking were quickly fixed in a hotfix.  The rest are/were merely annoying. 

Old 01-30-2012, 01:19 PM   #19
Griffildur

Loremaster

Andok wrote:

The ability of people to complain on these forums isn't in question.  In fact, several people have made it a hobby to complain here.

What is in question is if any of these bugs are really game breaking.  Every piece of software I have ever used has bugs, and bugs will always be part of this (or any) game.  I have encountered several bugs over my many years of playing, and the few that were really game breaking were quickly fixed in a hotfix.  The rest are/were merely annoying. 

Ok, so let me get this straight, are you trying to say that whatever bugs we have at the moment are merely annoying but not really serious ?

Old 01-30-2012, 01:27 PM   #20
Raknid

Loremaster

Andok wrote:

Typical apologist repsonse.

If you would have even bothered to click any of those links you would have seen that at least two of the first five dealth with the crashing/zoning/memory issues that have plagued us since AOD started.

Are you saying that those arent game breaking and that somehow people are complaining about that just to be complaining?

Old 01-30-2012, 02:41 PM   #21
Peogia

Loremaster

Andok wrote:

Raknid wrote:

LOL...my intent was to go five pages back in general gameplay and link the threads (counting ones that were moved) where people complained about various bugs. I started on page 5 but was tuckered out after doing two...here are some links for you. Just dimiss all these various complaints at "your" peril.

If any one still lives in qeynos and doesn't have a maxed out supped up pc, let me know how game breaking it is and will be when they wont be abled to use those zones anymore after the next up date later this year for qeynos

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...topic_id=514130

The FBI is encouraging users to visit a website run by its security partner, http://www.dcwg.org , that will inform them whether they're infected and explain how to fix the problem. After July 9, infected users won't be able to connect to the Internet.
Peogia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:51 PM   #22
Tylia
Server: Butcherblock
Guild: Test of Time

Loremaster

[email protected] Bazaar wrote:

I have been playing this game off and on sense release date. I have seen the game go through ups and downs. Right now were hurreling to the ground with out a parchute. Sony your so focused on making a quick buck that you cant see the big picture.

F2p players want to do one thing and one thing only and that is play for free. Sure a small precentage will pony up some SC. But they are going to expect a quailty working game and EQ2 is almost totally broken. Once the avarage f2p player encounters enough bugs they are going to quit. And they are going to tell their friends who will tell their friends that EQ2 f2p sucks because the game is full of bugs. Then who will you have buy your SC?

Sony let me tell you a little secret about f2p players, they dont last! They play long enough until the game no longer tickels their fancey and then they quit. The problem with that is you can not build a lasting coummnity with those types of players. A lasting coummnity is what gave you guys jobs for the last 7 years!

Just sense AOD our guild has lost 8 power players, they quit the game. And now my guild is suffering because there are not enough 90 players to put a group together to do anything worth while. And now there are more people talking about quitting.

Soon EQ2 is going to suffer the same fate as FFXI. There isnt going to be enough people to do anything worth while and players are going to quit by the masses. Sony please stop making new market place items twice a week and put all your effort into fixing broken content and put together a real expansion before its too late.

P.S. If you ruin your rep with players, what makes you think people are going to want to buy EQ Next?

Greg

Well that's interesting.  I play the game on a daily basis and I had NO idea that I was playing an "almost totally broken" game. 

Tylia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:59 PM   #23
Andok

Loremaster

Raknid wrote:

Andok wrote:

Typical apologist repsonse.

If you would have even bothered to click any of those links you would have seen that at least two of the first five dealth with the crashing/zoning/memory issues that have plagued us since AOD started.

Are you saying that those arent game breaking and that somehow people are complaining about that just to be complaining?

You have made a hobby of complaining, so you will see what you want to see.  Maybe those people should buy a magic bug-fixing computer like all of us that don't have  those crashing/zoning/memory issues with EQ2... because it's the game's fault, and it couldn't possibly be a computer problem. 

Old 01-30-2012, 03:02 PM   #24
Castegyre

Loremaster

The next time I come across something like Tinkering with Toggery on my Beastlord where I either get broken gear that I should be able to use but can't because the devs didn't bother itemize properly for the class that was the main selling point of their $40 content update, or in this case don't get anything at all so I can't do the HQ that requires the item from the quest, I'll remember that the long series of such broken things isn't really game breaking. It's just ****ing annoying. Especially when all I get for bugging and petitioning is thanks for bugging it...

Is it time to circle the wagons already?

Hanlon's Razor: "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."
Castegyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:35 PM   #25
Gilasil

Loremaster

Andok wrote:

This.  Bugs are a pain and it would be better if there were no bugs but you have to keep some perspective.  If you deal with software, and especially game software you are going to have to deal with bugs.  EVERYTHING has bugs. Complex computer games in particular because they're -- complex.  Certainly more complex then Word for example.

If the bug is only a passing annoyance it is not game breaking.  If the bug has a workaround it is not game breaking.  If you can play the game despite the bug it is not game breaking.

IT'S GAME BREAKING IF AND ONLY IF YOU CAN'T PLAY THE GAME AT ALL BECAUSE OF THE BUG.

I do hope that when a TRUE game breaking bug surfaces (according to the above definition) that SoE jumps right on it and fixes it. 

I have also been playing off and on since release.  I have encountered many bugs and while many were annoying I only once encountered a true game breaking bug -- it would log me out of the game within 1-2 minutes after logging on.  I contacted support and it was fixed within hours.

---------------

Several of the posters seem to think that people playing because of the FTP are mentally defecient or at least have ADHD or something.   Makes me wonder how many people they know.  Because the ones I've met and talked to enough to learn something about them weren't that way at all.  Most tended to have very tight budgets and would spend money on the game as it became available.  Some examples: a kid (probably junior high age), a person on disability because of some very scary medical issues, and a single mom who's who's raising kids while working a job and obviously has better things to spend money on then a game.  Nothing mentally wrong with any of those people.  All of them appear to have normal attention spans.

There does seem to be a tendency for old players to take advantage of the FTP to come back and dust off their old toons.  Nothing wrong with that.  However, some of the people I've talked to truly seem to be new players from the fact that they know so little about the game.  Some seem to be WoW defectors.

Gilasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #26
Cuedywene

Loremaster

Meh...nothing is as bad as the OP makes it out to be.  I notice the occasional bug but nothing major.  If a person goes out looking for bugs they will probably find some but it doesn't make the game unplayable or not enjoyable.  If you approach something from a negative perspective you will probably have a negative experience. 

EQ2 has always been evolving some changes are good others aren't so much.  Overall it is still a good game or nobody would be playing.  I noticed a surge of older players coming back and most of them have stopped logging in.  However that hasn't changed my gameplay experience.  I'm surprised it has as big of an impact on some players.

Cuedywene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:45 PM   #27
Roslyn

Loremaster

Gilasil wrote:

Several of the posters seem to think that people playing because of the FTP are mentally defecient or at least have ADHD or something.   Makes me wonder how many people they know.  Because the ones I've met and talked to enough to learn something about them weren't that way at all.  Most tended to have very tight budgets and would spend money on the game as it became available.  Some examples: a kid (probably junior high age), a person on disability because of some very scary medical issues, and a single mom who's who's raising kids while working a job and obviously has better things to spend money on then a game.  Nothing mentally wrong with any of those people.  All of them appear to have normal attention spans.

There does seem to be a tendency for old players to take advantage of the FTP to come back and dust off their old toons.  Nothing wrong with that.  However, some of the people I've talked to truly seem to be new players from the fact that they know so little about the game.  Some seem to be WoW defectors.

I'm a co-guild leader and the main recruiter for my casual guild. We welcome new and returning players with open arms. I wish you could see my roster of people offline for more than 30 days - it's mostly recruits who logged in for less than a week. In other games, I have been one of those players - I see F2P games as a trial. If it doesn't hold my attention long enough I am out of there, if I like it I'll sub like I did in LoTRO last year. So while I don't think anyone's saying that they have ADHD, there is definitely an attention-grabbing aspect to it. If I see that a game has a lot of little bugs, I weigh that with how much I enjoy the game in deciding whether or not I will stay. I left Vanguard after 2 years because of this, the scales just tipped, and I LOVED that game - so we shouldn't trivialize the importance of bugs and how they appear to new and returning players. 

Roslyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:57 PM   #28
Raknid

Loremaster

Andok wrote:

You have made a hobby of complaining, so you will see what you want to see.  Maybe those people should buy a magic bug-fixing computer like all of us that don't have  those crashing/zoning/memory issues with EQ2... because it's the game's fault, and it couldn't possibly be a computer problem. 

Again....did you bother to read the links?

" This is happening to pretty much everyone that I've talked to.  It has been happening since AoD."

" Although I know that the response will be "Upgrade your computer its not the game"....Fact...I had no issues playing until the freeport revamp. Xpac=sudden major memory crashes."

"I never had any trouble at all before AoD launch, but now I feel like an exile from my guild hall, and it's really aggravating me. This needs to be fixed ASAP."

"

24gigs ram... Intel I7-950... Windows 7 pro... Velociraptor and SSD drive... AMD 6850 1Gig GDDR5 Vmem... MemLeak... not my computer.

I am in a very similar boat to you, system wise.I can run around on Freeport with 2 characters, using the extreme quality graphics settings. While I do not crash, observing my systems memory usage makes it clear why client crashes (due to memory) have been a problem for some users since AoD was launched.SOE used to have the memory leak on somewhat of a leash. Not anymore."

"I assure you, I know all about virtual memory allocation and this is not the problem. I have even set the 3GB switch recommended in the support forums, and while it did help loading times in general, it did not stop this issue. This is not a PC problem, it's a game client problem."

"Yeah, there is definitely a memory leak in game.  ESPECIALLY observed in Freeport.  I'm running with 12 Gig of RAM and my client will crash letting me know I don't have enough memory to allocate....yeah right.  I run the top PC games in existence in their highest settings well over 60 FPS and never, after hours of gameplay, have I seen a memory issue. (Skyrim, Crysis 2, etc.)

The last time SOE had a memory leak they told the players for months "nuh uh!"

Then after a few months they said "Well ...yeah you were right" and fixed it.  I expect them to do the same thing again here.  You'll see reps responding with the usual soft-headed, imbecilic replies like "Have you updated your drivers?"

"...but since it just started happening after the AoD launch, it certainly seems to be related to some change to the game client and how it allocated memory."

I can go on here...and some of those comments ARE by people I would refer to as SOE supporters.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:05 PM   #29
Bauglir

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Agree

Agree with some conditions

The journey from 1 to 90 the first time was meaningful but the second, third, or fourth?  Hell I have an SK thats level 30 right now, it will likely be a year before he's 90, I hate the grind.  You see the only way vets that have 1 or 2 90s ever get more up is if they split to 2 accounts and 2 box PL them.  Or if they have friends PLing them.  Doing the process by playing the alt the old fashioned way is very boring and very grindy.  That in of it self will insure it will be months and months before any "new" players that are really new can raid.

As for AAs.. I think it speaks volumes about how bad this game is that anything less then 300AA is considered not enough.  Between 240 and 320 ther is usually 1 AA skill at around 275/280 left that is class defining.  Its the difference between being invited to the raid or not.

This is a problem.  It is a problem that will prevent returning players from staying or from getting involved with raids at least.

Add to this the fact that most established guilds would rather cry about apps being under-geared and rage quit rather then help them get gear and encorage them to grind the next 100 AA.  I suppose sony should have considered human nature when designing their raid progression.

Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:11 PM   #30
Bauglir

Loremaster

Roslyn wrote:

Gilasil wrote:

I'm a co-guild leader and the main recruiter for my casual guild. We welcome new and returning players with open arms. I wish you could see my roster of people offline for more than 30 days - it's mostly recruits who logged in for less than a week. In other games, I have been one of those players - I see F2P games as a trial. If it doesn't hold my attention long enough I am out of there, if I like it I'll sub like I did in LoTRO last year. So while I don't think anyone's saying that they have ADHD, there is definitely an attention-grabbing aspect to it. If I see that a game has a lot of little bugs, I weigh that with how much I enjoy the game in deciding whether or not I will stay. I left Vanguard after 2 years because of this, the scales just tipped, and I LOVED that game - so we shouldn't trivialize the importance of bugs and how they appear to new and returning players. 

What turns more people off to EQ2 is that they need to guild hop a lot until they find a guild that can actually achomplish stuff like groups and eventually raids.  If your not in the right guild your not going to progress much.

Most people want to have decent enough gear so that if they want to stomp on old content they can, solo.

Casual guilds in EQ2 just don't cut it.

This is the ONLY thing that basiclly makes LOTRO a better choice for casuals.

Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote