EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > Station Forums > Fan Faire 2007-2011
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-09-2010, 02:21 PM   #1
M

Its all well and nice that a plurality of people want it to be in LV every year.

Its been there for what, 5 out of the last 6 years now? I did go to the last one that was not in LV, and was looking forward to going again sometime when it gets back to the Eastern area of the US again.  After all, most guilds seem to operate on Eastern time in the game and raid on that schedule as well.

I bet the majority of customers would like to attend it in other areas of the country, and it is a disservice to most of the national active players to keep it in the far west corner of the continental US for 4 consecutive years running.  Do employees (that do not actively play SOE MMORPGs) get to vote on this location, against active paying customers?

If merely a plurality votes for it to be in LV, then the majority is voting for it to be outside of LV. Is it smart, or fair, to have 5/6 FF in LV and not rotate it to other areas of the country anymore?

5/6 years in the same place is a failure on your part to connect with your customers- if less than 5/6 of your base wants it to be forever locked in LV.

M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:46 PM   #2
PineGold

Happy Camper

EAST of the Missisppi River is to close to Washington DC.

edit cause I need a GPS update.

PineGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:54 AM   #3
Dented

The Quiet Type

Ya, it's a bit of a crude thing to live so far away from the fan faire.  Vegas has won by default as being the place for fanfaire in the past. People that setup and visit fanfaire mostly agree it is the best location, not everyone will agree to that.

Personally I would like to have fan faire 30 min away from my home.  I have to admit, there isn't much on the east coast, Florida is nice but not a whole lot better than vegas because hotels are expensive and hard to find when school is out, every kid wants to visit florida and see universal or dw.  Boston and Newyork are difficult to navigate compared to the vegas strip.

3 Reasons:

- Cost to Ship/Transport all the computers, equipment, people,hampsters, ect. to the other side of the US costs more.- Availability of large hotels and conference rooms with plenty of parking and transportation in a central area.- Lower costs to make the fan faire possible means it costs less money for people to attend fan faire.

Vegas is easy to travel in, everything is right there on the strip (unlike boston, NY, Florida).  Gambling as well as other things to do are legal in Nevada.  Plus if everything completely fails, at least you will be entertained by all the pretty lights. 

Dented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:16 AM   #4
Calthine

SOE Community Council

There are lots of reasons to have Fan Faire elsewhere, but Vegas wins for a lot of reasons.  Fact is, no matter where you have it, someone's not going to be able to make it.  Somewhere in this forum (or maybe the Fan Faire forum) is my pitch to have it in Antarctica.

This is where I bring up my Velious/Alaska idea again ('cept Brenlo's not here to roll his eyes at me).  When EQ2 introduces Velious, it needs to be launched from the annual Fur Rondy in Anchorage. 

... which is still 350 miles from home for me.

Calthine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:32 AM   #5
M

You would think they would want to rotate around to connect with most of their playerbase- and not treat EQ like some local regional game.

Especially to promote the game for additional new growth.

Im sure that if this model of planning had merit, that bands would not tour but just play 1 local concert.

Then again I wouldnt think that fragmenting your playerbase with EQ2 was a good idea either. So when is EQ3 supposed to come out?

M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:01 PM   #6
SG_01

Valued Contributor

From what I understand Vegas is their backup location and they are looking to rotate around the US. That said, we still need a European Fan Faire ^^

SG_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:01 PM   #7
Tulisin_Emarr

Happy Camper

Vegas is much more "central" than almost any other location, regardless of geological location, due to it being a generally cheap place for air fares and hotels. Instead of catering to any particular area's local tourist city, Vegas puts more of the country on an even level. As an added bonus, it is close enough to SoE HQ to facilitate easy transportation, which keeps registration fees down (due to decreased costs to SoE).
Tulisin_Emarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:36 AM   #8
Sabatic

There are many reasons that make Las Vegas ideal. The major one it is more affordable. Air fare, entertainment, food, lodging, etc. etc.. Also saves a bundle on transport for SOE set up as their HQ is in the nieghborhood. It would easily cost twice as much, at least, in any other city that could host it. Air fares are probably cheaper to Vegas than your closest big city. Usually people who want it some place else are hoping it's in their city. That's nice for them, but the rest of the country pays a whole bunch more compared to Vegas. Oh yeah I live in Vegas SMILEY

Sabaticus

Sabatic is offline   Reply With Quote