EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

 

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > Station Forums > Fan Faire 2007-2011
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2010, 04:50 PM   #91
Ashlanne

Project Manager
Ashlanne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 374
Default

Fan Faire 2010 has been announced!!  http://forums.station.sony.com/stat..._id=11500016046

Ashlanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:11 PM   #92
Brailyn

The Quiet Type
Brailyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 13
Default

time to start organizing my schedule... might be time i make the trip

Brailyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:59 PM   #93
Kela

Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 394
Default

Bally's again huh? Well it was the best run Fan Faire of the three resont ones in Vegas, and if you are in the correct tower you can nearly avoid going into the Casino area completly.

Kela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:16 PM   #94
Graye

Happy Camper
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15
Default

Kela wrote:

Bally's again huh? Well it was the best run Fan Faire of the three resont ones in Vegas, and if you are in the correct tower you can nearly avoid going into the Casino area completly.

I do believe that is the north tower

Graye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:18 PM   #95
Kela

Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 394
Default

Graye wrote:

Kela wrote:

Bally's again huh? Well it was the best run Fan Faire of the three resont ones in Vegas, and if you are in the correct tower you can nearly avoid going into the Casino area completly.

I do believe that is the north tower

Just looked at the map again and if I read it right you are correct...infact if I recall correctly those elevator bays are even slightly outside the Smoking area... the smokers would be a better group to ask about that though.

Kela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:26 PM   #96
oafgirl

Happy Camper
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 12
Default

Yay -- the dates are confirmed.  Now to start saving up....

Oh -- and yes, it was the North Tower that was closer to the Convention Center at Bally's.  Just skirted the casino area.  I had minimal problems with the tobacco smoke accumulation (and I'm allergic, so it's always something I'm conscious of).

HOWEVER -- the reason I was booked into the North Tower was because I am mobility-impaired and insisted on being close to the convention activities.  Some other Fan Faire attendees were charged a little more to be placed there, I heard.  (Of course, the real reason to stick con goers in the South Tower is to require folks to go through the casino area, where they may be lured into dropping Vast Sums....)

oafgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:20 PM   #97
Vestaloyne

SOE Community Council
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 11
Default

Ah too bad I'm so far away. I doubt that I could get the time to attend, though I'm sure it will be amazing.
Vestaloyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:28 AM   #98
Calthine

SOE Community Council
Calthine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 181
Default

Kela wrote:

Graye wrote:

Kela wrote:

Bally's again huh? Well it was the best run Fan Faire of the three resont ones in Vegas, and if you are in the correct tower you can nearly avoid going into the Casino area completly.

I do believe that is the north tower

Just looked at the map again and if I read it right you are correct...infact if I recall correctly those elevator bays are even slightly outside the Smoking area... the smokers would be a better group to ask about that though.

The closest ashtray was convenient to, but not right by, the elevator.  You can stand there and smoke and see people coming down, or conversly, hail your smoker friends without contamination SMILEY 

I'd also mention the air cleaners were great there, you had to get about a dozen smokers together in a pack before haze started to develop.

Calthine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:52 AM   #99
NeillM

Supreme Commander
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SWG Intrepid Refugee
Posts: 33
Default

Now all they need to do is release all the details about the extra events for the more expensive passes

NeillM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:54 AM   #100
Meric

Journeyman
Meric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 102
Default

I'm so there with the premium pass!!

Meric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:45 PM   #101
Linyar

The Quiet Type
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 17
Default

Wooooooooot!

Hope to see you all there!

Linyar - Osco - Owen - Caddyar - Freston - Lars - Kevling - Limahl, etc etc...

Linyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:27 PM   #102
Kela

Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 394
Default

oafgirl wrote:

Yay -- the dates are confirmed.  Now to start saving up....

Oh -- and yes, it was the North Tower that was closer to the Convention Center at Bally's.  Just skirted the casino area.  I had minimal problems with the tobacco smoke accumulation (and I'm allergic, so it's always something I'm conscious of).

HOWEVER -- the reason I was booked into the North Tower was because I am mobility-impaired and insisted on being close to the convention activities.  Some other Fan Faire attendees were charged a little more to be placed there, I heard.  (Of course, the real reason to stick con goers in the South Tower is to require folks to go through the casino area, where they may be lured into dropping Vast Sums....)

When I booked in the day of the event I got my choice of towers, I stuipidly choose the south tower, cause I remembered the map wrong. However, that might have been because I didn't use the Convention codes and booked though one of the many package travel sites there are, as the flight, Airport Shuttle and room in total was cheaper then buying seperatly. I recomend Vegas.com as the first stop cause they seem to have the best deals. Though I would price out as many ways as you can think of befor you deside on one. I know after I booked my trip I found another for about 15$ less.

Also I believe the reason they where charging extra for the North Tower is because that tower was just remodeled while the South has not been. So while I am sure they want to get as many people to pass though the Casino as possable. I don't think that was the reason for the higher price, that and the fact that even from the South tower you could nearly completly avoid the casino even from the South Tower Elevators, infact I found it faster to go around the Casino then though it. In part do to the crowd and in part because of the maze that casinos are.

::EDIT::Also Bally's Casino really isn't that big anyway, IMO.

Kela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:49 PM   #103
Calthine

SOE Community Council
Calthine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 181
Default

Ha, look what I saved:  Last years' map.  http://eq2.zam.com/Im/Image/132640

Calthine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:22 PM   #104
Kela

Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 394
Default

Calthine wrote:

Ha, look what I saved:  Last years' map.  http://eq2.zam.com/Im/Image/132640

Want me to link what I saved from last year Cal? SMILEY

That said looking at that map if I remember correctly the closest you can get to the Convention area and smoke was in that corner hall between the restrooms and the Casino floor.

Kela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:14 AM   #105
Shailas

Happy Camper
Shailas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 35
Default

I'm planning to attend, but I have to complete my negotiations with the boss first.  It's looking good though. 

Shailas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:22 PM   #106
Bra

Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1
Default

I just hope the FOOD is better than last year...

Bra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:06 AM   #107
Turlach

Happy Camper
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 29
Default

Branr wrote:

I just hope the FOOD is better than last year...

Hahahah yeah, and that there's more of it. There's no excuse for running out of food. We're gamers. Some of us are fatties. We like to eat. FEEEEEED us!!!

Turlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:22 PM   #108
Kela

Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 394
Default

Turlach wrote:

Branr wrote:

I just hope the FOOD is better than last year...

Hahahah yeah, and that there's more of it. There's no excuse for running out of food. We're gamers. Some of us are fatties. We like to eat. FEEEEEED us!!!

SOME of us?

Kela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:52 PM   #109
mattador

Happy Camper
mattador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 87
Default

i agree on the food, the mexican buffet was not good.  I think like the gourmet hamburgers and hotdogs at the rio were better then that.  Tri tip bbq always works good at all the business seminars i go to.

mattador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:24 PM   #110
Shailas

Happy Camper
Shailas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 35
Default

mattador wrote:

i agree on the food, the mexican buffet was not good.  I think like the gourmet hamburgers and hotdogs at the rio were better then that.  Tri tip bbq always works good at all the business seminars i go to.

MMMM...Tri-Tip BBQ.... SMILEY

Shailas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:39 AM   #111
Meric

Journeyman
Meric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 102
Default

Ok so I'm totally going to get flamed on this, but I preferred Fan Farie at the Rio over the Hilton and the Bally's last year. Rio had the rooftop meet and greet and tehn the wonderful pool party.   Sure, it may have been a walk, and hard to find the meeting rooms at first, oh ...and it was off the strip, but I have to admit I had my best times there. However, after the first year, my gaming friends started coming so I suspect this year I may be spending less time at the actual panel discussions and more time on the strip. Since this is my 4th year, I gotta go see Vegas!!!

Meric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:13 PM   #112
Linyar

The Quiet Type
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 17
Default

I had the most fun at the Rio also... the pool party was awesome!

What is too bad about Bally's is that the convention area is small, and this really is too big a convention to be having there.  At least you don't have to bring your own toilet paper down from your room, like we did in the convention areas of the Hilton!  Bally's kept the bathrooms stocked.

I agree with the negative comments about the Mexican Buffet.  Sure, they ran out of food early and some people didn't get any, but those turned out to be the lucky ones.  Those of us who got food were later unable to venture very far from the toilets.

I can't wait to go again!  I wish it was tomorrow!

Linyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:21 PM   #113
Meric

Journeyman
Meric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 102
Default

August can't come soon enough! I'm getting there early to go see Zumanity before the festivities. Oh man, this is gonna be awesome cause I'm gonna check out the other SOE games. Last year I hung out at the SWG booth and totally missed out on all the other cool games out there. Too bad some dev's are gone from SWG, gonna be less enjoyable. I already msis Deadmeat, Loche, Blixtev, Pex, Verago and Valara.  They were awesome peeps to meet.  I'm gonna be a DCU lookingfor Loche though!

Meric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:09 AM   #114
Kela

Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 394
Default

Linyar wrote:

I had the most fun at the Rio also... the pool party was awesome!

What is too bad about Bally's is that the convention area is small, and this really is too big a convention to be having there.  At least you don't have to bring your own toilet paper down from your room, like we did in the convention areas of the Hilton!  Bally's kept the bathrooms stocked.

I agree with the negative comments about the Mexican Buffet.  Sure, they ran out of food early and some people didn't get any, but those turned out to be the lucky ones.  Those of us who got food were later unable to venture very far from the toilets.

I can't wait to go again!  I wish it was tomorrow!

I thought the Rio had the most fun activities at the hotel, especally the pool party, I was not as big a fan of the roof top meet and greet, but that was my first FF so I didn't know anyone at that time. However, I thought that Bally's was the most well run, we didn't see the Network problems and stuff we had at both the Hilton and the Rio. I also think that the Convention Center was just about the right size for Fan Faire, remember both Hilton and Rio had another whole other convention going on at the same time, two for the Hilton, We where the only game in town for Bally's.

One last point however, the best OF SITE event in the last three Fan Faire's handsdown was the Drunk Go-Karts. SMILEY

Kela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:35 PM   #115
mattador

Happy Camper
mattador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 87
Default

I missed that rooftop party that year but i went up to the voodoo lounge and it is incredible!  I also loved the pool party even tho i was one of the only people that got in the pool that night.  The ambiance was just really nice there.  The Rio was the best fanfaire i have been to out of the last 3 years i have gone to vegas.  Last year at ballys one of the bartenders was so rude we had to have his boss remove him from the event.  How hard is it to smile and hand out free drinks to incredibly happy excited people?  Ballys doesnt have a lot of cool stuff inside but you cant beat the location right in the middle of the strip.

mattador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 01:39 AM   #116
Kela

Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 394
Default

mattador wrote:

I missed that rooftop party that year but i went up to the voodoo lounge and it is incredible!  I also loved the pool party even tho i was one of the only people that got in the pool that night.  The ambiance was just really nice there.  The Rio was the best fanfaire i have been to out of the last 3 years i have gone to vegas.  Last year at ballys one of the bartenders was so rude we had to have his boss remove him from the event.  How hard is it to smile and hand out free drinks to incredibly happy excited people?  Ballys doesnt have a lot of cool stuff inside but you cant beat the location right in the middle of the strip.

I know Calthine, Denmom, and Grimwell all went in. SMILEY

I would have too if I was staying on site. SMILEY

Though I am sorry just by having Drunk Kart Racing, Hilton wins out, by a hair, but only just.

Kela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:34 PM   #117
PineGold

Happy Camper
PineGold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 10
Default

At this time I have green lights across the control panel for "Fan Faire 2010" launch.  All systems are go.

If you drive to Las Vegas the traffic near the strip and downtown near freemont have some crazy one way streets. Even if gasoline gets up to 3$ this summer I can drive for just a few more dollars than flying and airport hassles.

The monorail is a good bargin for seeing the sites on the  strip with little hassle and worth at least a ride from end to end back to the hotel once.  The interactive strip map on the monorail site is great.

http://www.lvmonorail.com/

Just found out about the other public option for getting around the strip a city bus line call "the Deuce".  Found this map to be very informative also.  The page says the the bus runs 24 hours a day. 

http://www.rtcsouthernnevada.com/tr...ce(6-28-09).pdf

If you have more time than money this gives you options about where you may like to book your hotel room.

Food options seem to inclued Ellis Island brew pub with a 24 hour resturant around the corrner and Bill's Gambling Hall across the street. 

Have not been to Bally's myself online reports are highly mixxed on the web sites I found.  The food getting the most negitive comments.

PineGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 01:50 PM   #118
Saroc_Luclin

SOE Community Council
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 171
Default

The Deuce is great. You can get a day pass ticket for very cheap, and it'll take you from the Outlet mall at the far end of the strip, past the regular mall at the same end of the strip (with a Frys for any tech geeks out there), down the Strip itself and all the way to Freemont street. (Which means it does get extra packed in the evening, with people going down for the experience) In my opinion it's an easier way to get to the Casinos and places on the strip than the Monorail.

As for food, visit around. On the strip, on the other side of Paris, there is a McD's, and there's a Subway and Wendys (or BK) in one of the casino's nearby on the Bally's side. There's also a Denny's not too far away, and there's a small food court between the mall part and the Casino part of Ceasars that had decent food at decent prices. And there are multiple pharmacies on the strip that have drinks and snacks for more normal prices; In other words, you don't have to pay Theater level prices if you don't want to and if you're willing to walk a little bit.

Saroc_Luclin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:07 PM   #119
Kela

Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 394
Default

Saroc_Luclin wrote:

The Deuce is great. You can get a day pass ticket for very cheap, and it'll take you from the Outlet mall at the far end of the strip, past the regular mall at the same end of the strip (with a Frys for any tech geeks out there), down the Strip itself and all the way to Freemont street. (Which means it does get extra packed in the evening, with people going down for the experience) In my opinion it's an easier way to get to the Casinos and places on the strip than the Monorail.

As for food, visit around. On the strip, on the other side of Paris, there is a McD's, and there's a Subway and Wendys (or BK) in one of the casino's nearby on the Bally's side. There's also a Denny's not too far away, and there's a small food court between the mall part and the Casino part of Ceasars that had decent food at decent prices. And there are multiple pharmacies on the strip that have drinks and snacks for more normal prices; In other words, you don't have to pay Theater level prices if you don't want to and if you're willing to walk a little bit.

Last year there was a Sabarro's just down stairs from the Conventon Hall, no more then 5min walk away. I heard tell that as long as you had the cup they gave free refills all day. There was also a counter service Sandwitch/Pizza place just 15 mins round trip*, from the convention area, located in the mall area between Bally's and Paris. That place had $7 meals including drink that where filling and very good.

*that is walking from the convention center, ordering, sitting down and eating, and returning to the center, and that is durring lunch time.

Kela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 03:02 PM   #120
mattador

Happy Camper
mattador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 87
Default

the bars inside the ballys are terrible and expensive.  but the coffee kiosk place was pretty good.  not much food to be had inside ballys.  Ellis Island was outstanding and unbelieveably cheap, they have a brewery inside and their beer is exellent.  we actually had to fight our friends not to eat there every night lol.

mattador is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:54 AM.

vBulletin skin by: CompleteGFX.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All threads and posts originally from the EQ2 and Station forums operated by Sony Online Entertainment. Their use is by express written permission.