EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > Items and Equipment
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-17-2011, 11:52 AM   #1
Quicksilver74

Loremaster

Loot in EQ2 is for the most part, very boring.  I know there are reasons why itemization has become so linear in progression, but I really just want to point out how very boring it is now.  When I upgrade from an Easy mode Belt, to a Hard Mode belt, I don't get excited... at best my eyebrow raises as I think to myself how I just got a 1% potency/CB increase.

I know it may upset some folks, but I miss the old Avatar Loot.   That stuff ws FUN, EXCITING, and made you say "WOW!" when someone linked you a piece of loot.   It made me really excited about progression.   Now I really only play for the cameraderie or raiding...  The loot is just so boring I don't care nearly as much anymore. 

Quicksilver74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:55 AM   #2
feldon30

Fansite Staff

Remember when people would link items in-game to each other, proud of what item they just got, the effects on it, and everyone else would be excited? "Where'd you get that?" "How long did it take you to get that?"

Even if you leave out Avatar loot, some of the best items in the game such as Shard of Hate items, etc. have had interesting effects that people wanted to get. Now getting new item upgrades is like watching an odometer gradually increase.

feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:10 PM   #3
Aglorious
Server: Nagafen
Guild: Purity

Loremaster

I agree loot is boring and all have the same shi- like you and that sucks i want gear what only the best get or no one other get.... i wish me rly the avatar gear back what was top of the end and not boring..that gears was best of best and not much ppl got it..the feeling with running gear what no other have was great but now every one have same gear and this is fu.. boring..i have no fun more to raids..

Aglorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:00 PM   #4
NaeenSpeedbringer

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

I agree loot is boring and all have the same shi- like you and that sucks i want gear what only the best get or no one other get.... i wish me rly the avatar gear back what was top of the end and not boring..that gears was best of best and not much ppl got it..the feeling with running gear what no other have was great but now every one have same gear and this is fu.. boring..i have no fun more to raids..

NaeenSpeedbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:01 PM   #5
Talathion
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Cladire Mortii

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

I want stonewill/blood ritual, ect ect, ! like that.

Talathion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:07 PM   #6
Quicksilver74

Loremaster

feldon30 wrote:

Remember when people would link items in-game to each other, proud of what item they just got, the effects on it, and everyone else would be excited? "Where'd you get that?" "How long did it take you to get that?"

Even if you leave out Avatar loot, some of the best items in the game such as Shard of Hate items, etc. have had interesting effects that people wanted to get. Now getting new item upgrades is like watching an odometer gradually increase.

Well said.  

Loot needs a new sparkle.   But how can it be done well, and still leave room for future progression?   Well I think there is a good BASE system in place for loot to sparkle more now.  See, we are always going to have the need to upgrade with the new stat system, dps increasers, the need for crit chance.  The focus on Potency and Crit bonus has made a serious impact, and as a melee class, I have found an even stronger requirement to try and boost my autoattack damage, so gear with simple procs, will easily be outgrown each expansion I'm fairly certain.  

I'd like to suggest removing the cap on stats on DPS modifier and Attack Speed.   (I realize that attack speed would be difficult to truly un-cap, and might require a creative approach... like perhaps simply adding longer delay weapons, and turning attack speed into a flat reduction instead of a percent reduction), but capless stats are clearly the way to go to ensure progression.   In the mean time, toss on some more awesome procs and stats that we can enjoy, but will still have to replace due to capless stats.  

Old 05-17-2011, 05:49 PM   #7
Banditman

Loremaster

Procs are generally crap ever since they added "Cannot be modified" to everything.  Remember how interesting Elemental Detonation was before they "fixed" it?  Because it actually scaled with the mechanics of the game, people became interested.

When you make exceptions to your mechanical rules, you create issues.  SOE does it all the time.  If you get the balancing done right up front, you don't have to make exceptions down the road.

Yes, loot is boring.  There are no unique items AT ALL.  There is very little loot in general, at least in terms of raiding.  "Oh, look, it's Epic_Boss_32.  Which two crappy wrists out of the four he holds are we going to get tonite?"

Loot tables are tiny and predictable.  Epic fail - AGAIN - on itemization.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:04 PM   #8
Leovinus

Loremaster

And unless the gear stats change drastically in Drunder, we're looking at more of the same blandness, because of the way the crit and crit mit requirements keep going up.  They'll have to keep increasing crit and crit mit, and everything else will go along for the ride, because that gear is what we'll be FORCED to wear.

Unless things change, they'll be missing a golden opportunity to make gear interesting, by making new fights without increasing those same bland stats on every raid mob, such that you simply don't stand a chance in Drunder normal without having release DoV challenge gear, and don't stand a chance in Drunder challenge without being fully geared in Drunder normal.

Here's a clue, it's possible to make fights more difficult/interesting without increasing mobs' crit and crit bonus stats to where a guild simply can't survive AoEs without the previous (rigid) step of gear.  It's been done for years.

Leovinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:11 PM   #9
TwistedFaith

Loremaster

[email protected]_old wrote:

Loot in EQ2 is for the most part, very boring.  I know there are reasons why itemization has become so linear in progression, but I really just want to point out how very boring it is now.  When I upgrade from an Easy mode Belt, to a Hard Mode belt, I don't get excited... at best my eyebrow raises as I think to myself how I just got a 1% potency/CB increase.

I know it may upset some folks, but I miss the old Avatar Loot.   That stuff ws FUN, EXCITING, and made you say "WOW!" when someone linked you a piece of loot.   It made me really excited about progression.   Now I really only play for the cameraderie or raiding...  The loot is just so boring I don't care nearly as much anymore. 

Totally and utterly agree. I got the scout belt yesterday from a HM boss, it was indentical to the easy mode version I was wearing apart from like 1% difference in potency/CB.Pathetic, I don't understand how any developer who gets paid to make decsions on the game can sit down and tell me that this is fun/exciting stuff. It's lame and VERY VERY boring.

TwistedFaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:19 PM   #10
Morghus

Loremaster

They need to seriously take a look back at Munzok, Miragul, RT4, UD3, and avatar loot to see what made that stuff so great  for its time.

Morghus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:55 PM   #11
ThomasCH

Loremaster

I am completely with you man. I was all over this from start to finish of the beta and almost everyone else was too except for a couple.

The loot right now is absolutely terrible. I honestly dont care if I have a set of EM or HM armor at this moment and the jewelry is laughable.

Hope you wont be making this mistake once the next expansion hit.

I still think TSO was the best expansion when it comes to items.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:23 PM   #12
Dark_fairy

Loremaster

agree =(

Dark_fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:42 PM   #13
Kunaak

Loremaster

whats sad is, alot of the gear looks exactly the same, so sometimes I have to double check if I already have something.

this is the worst expansion for loot, as its so [Removed for Content] bland.

Kunaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:40 AM   #14
SacDaddy420

Loremaster

I dont think the loot is that boring.  If anything there could be more variety in the jewelry, maybe add in some red adorn ears/wrist/rings. Or some truely awesome set bonuses in those slots.   But as far as the armor goes, Im happy. 

I easily prefer my HM armor over EM because of the extra yellow slot on each piece.  I know the 7 cb/pot over the 6 on EM isnt much of an increase, but it adds up all together. Especially when you add in what you can do with the yellows.   Perhaps in drunder we'll see 8 on em, 10 on HM?  just guessing...

As far as exciting procs, with the system in place now it makes much more sense to have them as adorns.  They already  have alot of the UD3/MMB/SoH/avatar procs etc as red adorns in game.  But Im sure if they get creative they can come up with even better ones.

Perhaps we could even get some more Spell Double attack slots opened up other than just shoulder?  /wink

Old 05-18-2011, 03:49 AM   #15
feldon30

Fansite Staff

Sacdaddicus, Here's the problem. Items now are just a blank slate, a vessel for adornments and procs. The actual item is not exciting or interesting in any way. Nobody links items to say "Look at this cool item I got!" Now it's just "this item has 1% more potency" so I'll upgrade and buy all new adornments again for X shards or X plat. There are no longer any hard choices in loot anymore either. No items have "must have" effects that you must choose which is best for your character. The hardest choice for a scout in this game is whether they pick the item with 12% Multiattack and 8% Crit or 30% Crit and 8% Crit Bonus. Wow, exciting!
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:42 AM   #16
Quicksilver74

Loremaster

Another problem is likely going to be that in Drunder...  [I'm assuming] you will NOT see any additional adornment types available on gear, and therefore the upgrade from HM gear to Drunder gear will be even less significant than the upgrade from EZ mode gear to HM gear.  

If Drunder drops armor, it will likely have 1-2% more CB and Potency, and maybe 8-12 more Stamina and your other primary stat.   It will also likely have the exact same focus effect, and will have the same old red and yellow adornment slots.  If that is the case you will see very little upgrade.  

Basically, right now the only way we are gonna see significantly better armor is if they start adding new adornments, like if they open up greens for drunder loot or yellow on weapons, or make special PVE versions of blues. I'm saying that just because an item has adornment slots on it, doesn't mean that it can't ALSO have some kind of proc or some panache.  

Old 05-18-2011, 09:53 AM   #17
Griffildur
Guild: First Lords

Loremaster

Agree to this.Loot is so [Removed for Content] boring that you want to chop off your right foot and eat it ..... ok mabe not that far but still .

Everybody has the same thing, there is no desire to run certain instances for that particular awesome piece of gear. Each upgrade has 0.1% more to the same stats. Boring as hell.

I hope after this experiment they go back to the old system, adding more stats back in as well. Some unique loks for items would be great as well. I can think of at least 4 different priest hammers that have exactly the same look, obviously copy and paste, which I personally hate.

They basically took out all the options we had to build a char the way we wanted ad all we can do now is build our char the way the item dev thinks it should be built. That is just plain wrong and kills the very idea of customising and building your own char just they way you want.

Old 05-18-2011, 01:04 PM   #18
Peogia

Loremaster

It would be nice if gear in general had much better appearance like all other games and mmorpg's don't even need to name them just pick 1 at random and they all have better variety and design 

avatar loot never excited or wow'ed me and in my opinion avatar gear was just another piece of fable gear no big deal but mythical did as they were rarest and newest and first introduction into game that was for player base and not guide only

The FBI is encouraging users to visit a website run by its security partner, http://www.dcwg.org , that will inform them whether they're infected and explain how to fix the problem. After July 9, infected users won't be able to connect to the Internet.
Peogia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:21 PM   #19
Corydonn

Loremaster

Another problem is likely going to be that in Drunder...  [I'm assuming] you will NOT see any additional adornment types available on gear, and therefore the upgrade from HM gear to Drunder gear will be even less significant than the upgrade from EZ mode gear to HM gear.  

If Drunder drops armor, it will likely have 1-2% more CB and Potency, and maybe 8-12 more Stamina and your other primary stat.   It will also likely have the exact same focus effect, and will have the same old red and yellow adornment slots.  If that is the case you will see very little upgrade.  

But when you look at the upgrade to a set of armor as a whole, You are gaining 10-20 CB/Potency over someone on the last tier of armor, Which is a pretty huge increase imo.

Edit: The loot is boring but it fits in progression wise now I sppose... Anything added would make the gear more overpowered than it is. I'm all for uber looking cosmetic changes though!

Corydonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:37 PM   #20
Bruener

Loremaster

Corydonn wrote:

But when you look at the upgrade to a set of armor as a whole, You are gaining 10-20 CB/Potency over someone on the last tier of armor, Which is a pretty huge increase imo.

Edit: The loot is boring but it fits in progression wise now I sppose... Anything added would make the gear more overpowered than it is. I'm all for uber looking cosmetic changes though!

As people have established it is the exceptions to the rules that make certain items exciting.  SoH was such an awesome raid zone because it had those few very unique items.  Yeah they were great at the time, but as I believe Crabbok pointed out eventually with how linear requirements are with crit and crit mit even SoH-style items would go to the wayside faster than in the past.

Itemization is a big staple in why people play MMOs.  People like getting cool upgrades and making itemization so linear has really taken that out of the equation.  People get bored with itemization and the game seems a lot more boring.  Make exceptions to the rules, make them rare, and people will love to play to get them.

Old 05-18-2011, 01:46 PM   #21
Silzin
Server: Crushbone
Guild: Revelations

Loremaster

I think they are trying to avoid the problem they had where some "Best in Slot" items where 2-3 expansions old... or more... Well then the item slots that would be best for this would be your armor slots and your slots with large Crit chance. these slots are very easy for force upgrades to. the jewelry slots are harder to make people upgrade out of.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:18 PM   #22
Corydonn

Loremaster

Bruener wrote:

Corydonn wrote:

As people have established it is the exceptions to the rules that make certain items exciting.  SoH was such an awesome raid zone because it had those few very unique items.  Yeah they were great at the time, but as I believe Crabbok pointed out eventually with how linear requirements are with crit and crit mit even SoH-style items would go to the wayside faster than in the past.

Itemization is a big staple in why people play MMOs.  People like getting cool upgrades and making itemization so linear has really taken that out of the equation.  People get bored with itemization and the game seems a lot more boring.  Make exceptions to the rules, make them rare, and people will love to play to get them.

Hmm... A rare drop from a boss that is a component in crafting a mythical weapon would be kind of neat I sppose.

Corydonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:46 PM   #23
Cocytus

Loremaster

While I agree that the loot is boring beyond belief, Cory has it right, sadly. THey  can't really add much, as the loot is already ridiculously overpowered, and that would just make it worse.

This is just a huge mistake they made with putting Silius on itemization and changing the way stat mechanics work as a whole. After returning from the two week break, the first thing I thought when I started the very first raid upon returning, was "Why am I doing this?"

Cocytus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 04:42 PM   #24
Talathion

Loremaster

Cocytus wrote:

While I agree that the loot is boring beyond belief, Cory has it right, sadly. THey  can't really add much, as the loot is already ridiculously overpowered, and that would just make it worse.

This is just a huge mistake they made with putting Silius on itemization and changing the way stat mechanics work as a whole. After returning from the two week break, the first thing I thought when I started the very first raid upon returning, was "Why am I doing this?"

Fighter gear needs more MA... Silly us.

Old 05-18-2011, 04:55 PM   #25
Bruener

Loremaster

Corydonn wrote:

Bruener wrote:

Corydonn wrote:

Hmm... A rare drop from a boss that is a component in crafting a mythical weapon would be kind of neat I sppose.

Oh that brings up another point.  I want a major quest line that spans thru raiding for a weapon or item pls.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:48 PM   #26
Xenxex
Guild: Azure Skies

Loremaster

I honestly thought that would be the main diff from easymode to hardmode. I assumed you would see some actual uniqueness between the two other than *gasp* another crit/potency. Sure some of it is a bit more different w/ a addition of flurry procs. However this really just makes it seem like SoE is lazy with not putting too much effort behind itemization(who would have thought?). Some flavor to these items would be nice, but its likely to not happen for all the reasons mentioned in the thread already, along w/ the fact it would take effort.

Xenxex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:52 PM   #27
Morghus

Loremaster

I think its kind of funny how copy+paste the items are.

Look at the robes, there is no difference between heroic kael, tower x2, em, and hm appearance.

Just about all the current raid symbols for mages have the exact same appearance, easy mode and hard mode.

Morghus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:11 PM   #28
Talathion

Loremaster

I want a new Light from Darkness piece SMILEY

Old 05-18-2011, 06:39 PM   #29
Talathion

Loremaster

Plated Girdle of Light from Darkness

Fabled

White Slot

+100 str, +100 sta, +100 Agility

25% Multi-Attack Chance

32% Critical Chance

5% Critical Bonus

5% Potency

When equipped:

When target is Damaged this spell has a 5% Chance to cast Greater Divine Light on target's attacker.

Inflicts 1652 - 2018 Divine Damage on Target.

Heals Caster for 1160 - 2124

Fighter/Scout Usable, Rare Drop from TOFS2.

Hoop of the Fallen Queen

Fabled

White Slot

+100 Strength, +100 Stamina, +100 Agility

+3945 vs Elemental/Arcane/Noxious

8% Multi Attack Chance

5% Critical Bonus

5% Potency

When Equipped:

On any combat or spell hit, this spell may cast Darker Ritual on target of attack. Lasts for 15 seconds.

Triggers about 1.9 times per minute.

(Basicly Blood Ritual 2.0)

Fighter/Scout Usuable, Rare Drop from TOFS3.

Bangle of the Kromise General

Fabled

White Slot

+100 Strength, +100 Stamina, +100 Agility

+3945 vs Elemental/Arcane/Noxious

+8% Multi Attack Chance

+5% Critical Bonus

+5% Potency

When Equipped:

Stonewill VI

Wards Caster against 3000 points of damage, ect ect

Fighter/Scout Usable, Rare Drop from Throne of Storms

Wall of Pain

Yellow Slot

White Slot

Fabled

+100 Strength, +100 Stamina

8% Attack Speed

12% Multi-Attack Chance

25% Block Chance

5% Critical Bonus

5% Potency

Undeniable Pain

Reflects 5% of All Damage dealt to caster back to the Target.

Rare Drop from Temple of Zek.

Planar Knuckles of War

Yellow Slot

White Slot

Fabled

+100 Strength, +100 Stamina

8% Attack Speed

12% Multi-Attack Chance

25% Block Chance

5% Critical Bonus

5% Potency

Applies Rallosian Rage when Activated. Lasts for 25 seconds.

Shapechanges caster into a Kromzek Giant

Enlarges caster by 50%

When target uses a combat art this spell will cast Rallosian Rage on target of combat art.

Inflicts **** disease damage on target

Heals caster for ****

Increases Threat to target by ****

Old 05-18-2011, 08:38 PM   #30
Katz

Loremaster

Yeah.  + 50 stamina, + 50 main stat and then there were two different set of stats that went with the priest items. I quit looking at them.  I agree that this is boring. 

That was from the overland DOV drops and quest rewards.

Edit: The only thing we are linking in guild chat now is house items. 

Katz is offline   Reply With Quote