EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Scout's Den > Ranger
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-24-2008, 10:58 AM   #1
Kalvaine
Server: Everfrost
Guild: Blood Oath

Loremaster

I've been meaning to post this suggestion for awhile, but I think a nice addition that I think might be fairly straight-forward to implement would be an automatic skill/action called "Recover".  After every encounter the game does a check to see if you used any ammo during said encounter. A hidden "roll" is performed and you get a chance to recover some of your ammo used. "You recover 12 arrows."I don't think this would be game-altering in a negative way and it could affect any class that consumes ammo.
Kalvaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:04 PM   #2
Elephanton

General

This idea is totally awesome.Can't think of anything to make it better.

I spend 1 plat on arrows daily, how fair is that?I don't know any other classes who has to pay a daily fee in order to be able to do damage.Let's charge sorcs for mana, 1p per day - in that case I will agree to pay 1p for arrows.

Elephanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:44 PM   #3
Eliason
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Chromatis Draconis

Loremaster

ElephantonRU wrote:

Let's charge sorcs for mana, 1p per day - in that case I will agree to pay 1p for arrows.

Heh. Or make melees to buy sharpening stones for their blades. I mean after all we gotta spend the plat on arrows and yet for some strange reason its automatically assumed that blades stay sharp.

Another thing to think about would be maybe changing bounty aa to the recover ability mentioned above. Remove the blue con or better restriction, and make give it a chance to work on some of our melee attacks (similar to the rogues pick pocket and backstabs).

I am happy they have made changes to arrows. I remember when Combat arts used em and the rip line recovered a whole different type. But its still rediculous that we are tied to a crafter for our "appropriate" Dps. 

In my eyes rangers have come together and have come up with plenty of good ideas for the arrow issue:-the recover ability-adjusting summoned arrows to be useful agian-balancing our dmg on summoned and letting the crafted still do more-Removing the need for arrows all together and just using bows to calculate damage.-Removing the Dmg mod from arrows and letting them enhance other stats like range, speed, accuracy

Personally my favorite option is the last one. That way arrows are still needed, Summoned ones would do nothing. Merchant ones would come in vanilla variety and crafter ones would still have the cool effects that people want. But my core dps wouldn't be as affected by the choice. But with any change there is the good and bad. Good for us on arrows means bad for woodworkers.

Eliason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:54 PM   #4
Kitsune286

Loremaster

Would it be like bounty in that it has a recast timer/a skill you would have to cast, or would it be a passive ability? I bet they'd put something in like "Salvage" as a possible passive AA line thingy. Though, I'm sure it would read something like..."When target strikes a death blow this effect has a chance to cast "Salvage" on caster. Lasts for 1 second. This effect can trigger 1.8 times per min.-Summons 15 arrows of the last used type."Sidenote, I tend to use the summoned junk when doing writs. *shrug* usually doesn't matter how fast i kill when doing those.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:56 PM   #5
Anekuh

Master

Good luck on that idea.

I've been fighting for arrow costs or some way to have rangers to recover the costs.

Devs don't read all our posts. Even Fyrefight(sp) admitted it.

Ane 2
Anekuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:22 PM   #6
Eliason

Loremaster

This is the description of the rogue pickpocket ability.

This achievements grants an attempt to pickpocket humanoid targets when performing certain combat arts that have a strealth or rear-only positional requirement. This achievement also grants an ability to steal coin quietly while stealthed.

It is a passive ability with an active ability as well that works on any humanoid, no con required.

It has been a personal gripe of mine for a long time since my wife plays a Swashbuckler and I of course play a ranger. It doesn't matter what she is doing hunting, traveling etc if theres a humanoid near by she runs over and pickpockets it. If I try to use bounty it generally ends up being grey or green. And the long timer on bounty has lead me to just remove it from my hotbar, 20s every 3 minutes. I suppose that could end up being 3 arrows at current market value.

But back to recover, it could be passive with a situational active ability. For example: Rip would gain the chance to recover more than one arrow of the previous type and on a fallen opponent we could use the situational to search for more and it would appear as corpse loot or something. Natuarally we wouldn't be able to recover more than we used but even half would go a long way and would make the beginning predator aa seem worthwhile (Afterall assasins use arrows too just not as much). And if the ranger didn't use Rip (or select other abilities) he wouldn't get any back.  That way lazy rangers still have to pay.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:26 PM   #7
Aeralik

Developer

Arrow cost and useage has gone down dont forget a lot over the course of the game.  Some examples are1. Increased productivity of wood workers by increasing the amount they produce with a combine2. Removing arrow useage with combat arts3. There is a conservation effect which is on your epic.  This rolls each time you fire and if you succeed an arrow isnt used.  It's a new epic effect so its not used right now elsewhere but its always possible it could be added elsewhere later.
Aeralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:40 PM   #8
Ranja

Loremaster

Aeralik wrote:
Arrow cost and useage has gone down dont forget a lot over the course of the game.  Some examples are1. Increased productivity of wood workers by increasing the amount they produce with a combine2. Removing arrow useage with combat arts3. There is a conservation effect which is on your epic.  This rolls each time you fire and if you succeed an arrow isnt used.  It's a new epic effect so its not used right now elsewhere but its always possible it could be added elsewhere later.
Yes we know all this and yet we are still in the hole. Hence, in our eyes, the problem is not solved. But thank you for coming into this thread nad making totally meaningless comments that give us information all of us already know. By god, I saw a red name and thought it was to actually comment rather than educate us on what has been done in the past.News flash: This is not enuff! We are still the only class that must pay for our main source of DPS.

Thoghmor, 70 Troll Bruiser

Rotir, 90 Dark Elf Swash

Terrano, 82 Dark Elf Dirge

Aymon, 90, Barbarian Shadowknight

The Destroyer of Worlds:

http://s7.gladiatus.com/game/c.php?uid=84341
Ranja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:41 PM   #9
Anekuh

Master

Aeralik wrote:

1) Increasing wood workers amount they produce has zero effect on what they charge. The avearge arrow I see on my server costs me 10-12 silver per. So, let's do the math. 100 arrows X 10 silver = 10 gold per 100 stack. Since I avg about 500 arrows per raid, then I spend about a half a plat per raid for my arrows alone ( and i'm not including poison costs or any other items that we need).

2) The removal of arrow usage w/ combat arts helps, but I still go through 500+ arrows a raid.

3) Not everyone has the Epic bow. It is a nice effect, but re-read #2.

Making small changes has helped very little. Rangers, as a whole, still pay way more than any class in the game for their offense.

Ane 2
Anekuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:48 PM   #10
Eliason

Loremaster

I was also under the impression that the epic has a chance to proc Talon strike, which last for 10seconds and then while that is in effect it has a chance to proc conservation 20% of the time (or 60% of the time with the mythical) which would save the arrow. But only while talon strike was in effect.

If it is every arrow, that is better than I thought. But I still seem to go through arrows at an alarming rate. (At least on AB they are only 6g a stack).

Old 04-24-2008, 02:55 PM   #11
BigChiefJJ

Loremaster

Aeralik wrote:
Why hasn't melee/spell attack and heal costs and consumable usage gone up to meet falling arrow cost?
BigChiefJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 03:10 PM   #12
Kalvaine
Server: Everfrost
Guild: Blood Oath

Loremaster

Aeralik wrote:
Thanks for checkin out this thread, Aeralik.1. Of course, that's awesome. For us woodworkers anyway.2. Terrific!3. Massive arrow consumption affects all levels, not just level 80 Rangers. Though you improved conditions for those folks, us wee folks still go through quite a bit of expensive ammo during normal gaming conditions. Bottom line: no other class consumes ammo like we do. Not even close. And yes, this "Recover" skill would perform a passive check. Ideally, it would be nothing you'd have to click. I'm not a programmer but from the outside it doesn't sound like it would be that hard to implement.Btw, Aeralik, I for one am very grateful for the recent changes you've made to our class. I hope we continually get "tweaked" to edge us closer and closer to the capabilities of our Assassin cousins. As long as I know that it's possible to parse alongside an Assassin in a raid, then I'll be one happy Ranger.
Kalvaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 03:43 PM   #13
Kitsune286

Loremaster

The cost of producing arrows, per arrow, has gone down. However, WW's still set the broker prices. SMILEY
Old 04-24-2008, 06:14 PM   #14
ChodeNode1

Loremaster

Yeah, until I get my WW up, I'll still only be using crafted arrows on raids because I just can't afford to use them otherwise. I can easily go through 500-1000 arrows (15-60 gold depending on who I buy from) on a raid. I noticed the description for Arrow Tear says something about ripping an arrow from the target. Perhaps modify this skill to reproduce the first arrow in your quiver?Whereas we appreciate that we don't have to use arrows for CA's, it doesn't change the fact that we can't do our expected damage without purchasing large amounts of arrows. As others have pointed out, melee doesn't have to sharpen their weapon, so we need something to very much offset the cost of our dps. I've also heard that WW's make little money off arrows, but I don't know first hand, so I won't posit that has fact. Personally, I like the idea of equipping one arrow. You could even make a better arrow out of a rare component.
ChodeNode1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 07:04 PM   #15
Alenna
Server: Guk
Guild: Defenders of the Light

Loremaster

ChodeNode1 wrote:
Yeah, until I get my WW up, I'll still only be using crafted arrows on raids because I just can't afford to use them otherwise. I can easily go through 500-1000 arrows (15-60 gold depending on who I buy from) on a raid. I noticed the description for Arrow Tear says something about ripping an arrow from the target. Perhaps modify this skill to reproduce the first arrow in your quiver?Whereas we appreciate that we don't have to use arrows for CA's, it doesn't change the fact that we can't do our expected damage without purchasing large amounts of arrows. As others have pointed out, melee doesn't have to sharpen their weapon, so we need something to very much offset the cost of our dps. I've also heard that WW's make little money off arrows, but I don't know first hand, so I won't posit that has fact. Personally, I like the idea of equipping one arrow. You could even make a better arrow out of a rare component.
I make enough to offset a little of the cost to having to buy arrows before I reach the TS level where I can make them. that is if my alt who harvests for me can get enough of the what ever metal comes from the different ores. but I don't depend on my arrows or other ranged weapons  to make money I do it by writs  which also helps me level faster since we don't that many new recipe's in our books. Still trying to get enough feyiron to get that next level where the arrows are and still have enough to make my own when I get there. sigh
Old 04-24-2008, 08:05 PM   #16
RoXx

General

Aeralik your comment is an insult to any decent ranger. We all know the so called improvements, but its not enough. We need to cut our costs a lot more. You could remove the Hook Arrow achievement ability and replace it with a passive skill that let us regain some of the arrows we have spent over time (or as the OP suggested).
RoXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:16 PM   #17
Effidian

Loremaster

Just get rid of arrows...

No AA ability for it, no recover ability, just remove them. 

Effidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:40 PM   #18
Anaun

Loremaster

Effidian wrote:

Just get rid of arrows...

No AA ability for it, no recover ability, just remove them. 

I agree.Who could it possibly hurt? No adventurer class would suffer from this change. Woodworkers would not suffer either, as they still have plenty of totems, bows, and staves to make and sell.Such a change would probably make a lot of folks happy.
Anaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:25 PM   #19
dbmoreland

Loremaster

Aeralik wrote:
1. True, so now at least the wood workers can keep up with the demand. I remember the days when you could not buy a player made arrow, there were simply none to be had at any price.2. And how long ago was this? I can barely remember when I used to use TWO BACKPACKS full of arrows per night. And since the type of arrow you used had NO effect on the amount of damage the CA did, many of us used the cheapest arrow we could get back then, i.e. the summoned ones. 3. Wonderful, so for the 20 rangers out of every 2200 that have their epic we will use a few less arrows. What about the other 2180 rangers. What would you like them to do?
dbmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:30 PM   #20
dbmoreland

Loremaster

ChodeNode1 wrote:
I've also heard that WW's make little money off arrows, but I don't know first hand, so I won't posit that has fact. Personally, I like the idea of equipping one arrow. You could even make a better arrow out of a rare component.
It really depends on the server and the current market. Since it costs 2s per arrow to make a t8 one, plus whatever they have spend on the wood and cluster, they can make a very good income if they can be sold for 10-12s each. On my server they go for 4s each so here they don't make as much.
dbmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:52 PM   #21
Eliason

Loremaster

Once I got home I decided to really check out the arrow conservation ability on Eagles talon. I hadn't checked before since I just got it this week. Headed over to the wall in KJ and just turned on AA. Round 1:100 arrows104 shots taken4 arrows conserved.Round 2: 100 just wasn't a large enough sample size for me to feel good about it. 500 arrows538 shots taken38 arrows conserved over 5 stacks.7.6 arrows per stack.An estimated savings of 1 stack every 13 stacksI am sure with the mythical (ie the 60%) that might actually turn out to be something of a savings. For like 5 people. ( I know I probably won't see mythical before next level increase)
Old 04-24-2008, 11:18 PM   #22
Mishkel

Loremaster

DAoC used to have arrow recovery.  Some items even bumped it up a bit. (think you could add to it with realm abilities as well).

Then they destroyed err revamped the archery professions.

Removed arrows (bows were now basicly consider a form of spell casting.)

Then switched all our old gear to + spell dmg, spell casting speed etc etc

On paper it sounds like a good idea.  I guess I won't get into a multi paragraph rant about what it did to my ranger (in that other game) and why I'm back here.  I suppose one could say.. implementation is everything. (its either done right or its done very badly).

Mishkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 11:28 PM   #23
Aux

General

Anyone else play a Ranger in EQ1?  We had the endless quiver AA.  Equip one arrow in your ammo slot and you had an infinite amount of them.  Curious as to why this was taken out in EQ2.  I know when KoS came out, that was the first thing I looked for and was quite dissapointed to see it wasn't there.  Same for EoF, when I heard about the new trees, I got my hopes up but alas, foiled again!

I like this idea over getting rid of arrows because I like the thought of being able to use differnt types of arrows situationally. /shrug

Old 04-25-2008, 10:48 AM   #24
Elephanton

General

Aeralik wrote:
Blah Blah Blah

Cost of playing T8 warrior for 12 hours = 0 platCost of playing T8 mage for 12 hours = 0 platCost of playing T8 healer for 12 hours = 0 platCost of playing T8 melee scout for 12 hours = 0 platCost of playing T8 ranger for 12 hours = 1 plat

Nuff said?

Elephanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:29 AM   #25
Nulad

General

Aeralik wrote:
Arrow cost and useage has gone down dont forget a lot over the course of the game.  Some examples are1. Increased productivity of wood workers by increasing the amount they produce with a combineMy woodworker enjoys this change, still doesn't address the fact that it costs Rangers to attempt to damage a mob though does it.2. Removing arrow useage with combat artsWhy not just remove them completely, you can hardly call it realistic anymore what with certain types of attack requiring arrows and others not 3. There is a conservation effect which is on your epic.  This rolls each time you fire and if you succeed an arrow isnt used.  It's a new epic effect so its not used right now elsewhere but its always possible it could be added elsewhere later.Wooodedooo... When you get to level 80 and manage to get your Epic done you can possibly save 20% of your arrows every now and then but stuff you if you use any other bow.
Just remove arrows period.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:07 PM   #26
dent

General

I like the idea o endless quiver, though I wouldnt scoff at a reclamation feature either. In any case rangers have to compete for buying the same items as everyone else in order to progress... we buyrare loams, metals, etc. Yet other classes have more income to spend because of not having drop a plat a day on arrows just to fight.
dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:15 PM   #27
BigChiefJJ

Loremaster

I'll agree that it would be really nice if they removed arrows from the game as a consumable and allowed woodworkers to make ‘the endless arrow'.  Hand crafted ones could be exactly what we have now for the field points / bodkin / broad heads and you could add in MC arrows that could add other effects to you damage, fire, cold, magic, disease (this one might be tough to justify from a RP perspective), or other effects that would increase your Ranged effectiveness of Double attack or crit or add +DPS or +attack speed, arrows with dehate, power or health taps, stun procs the possibilities are endless.  The components to make these new arrows could fall into the same number of raws / fuels as standard melee weapons, or for some of the ones deemed more powerful could use multiple rares.

As a Woodworker I honestly would not mind loosing crafted arrows (and other throwing items) as a consumable.  Right now the only time I'm making them is when a guildie is requesting them -they are selling on my server for 4-5 sp each and there are usually at least one WW that has 3000 or so on the broker at any given time. So each combine would make me 2-3 gp minus materials cost, not enough profit there to justify spending hours crafting them.  Prior to writs I did enjoy having the arrows as consumables to level up on, but with writs now that is not needed - imo.  Removing arrows as a consumable would basically just shift woodworkers to making totems and there would be more competition there instead of some WW making totems and some making throwing weapons as it is right now.    

If you put enough different recipes in different types of arrows (throwing weapons- hell some of these could even be given back to WS) you shouldn't affect the quiver/sack market as people would want to keep several different kinds of arrow effects on them for different situations.

BigChiefJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:52 PM   #28
Mariss
Server: Nektulos
Guild: Legions of the iron dragon

Augur

[email protected] wrote:

So each combine would make me 2-3 gp minus materials cost, not enough profit there to justify spending hours crafting them. 

With a WW I make decent money with arrows and I'd hate to lose that income.  At an average of 30-40 seconds per combine... In 10 mins you'd have 20 stacks of arrows.  So if they were selling at 2-3g per stack, that's 40 - 60 gold for 10 minutes worth of work.  Not a bad return at all.  The ratio of materials to quantity produced is negligible.I wouldn't suggest something so drastic as to remove arrows from the game altogether.  I would more prefer to see summoned arrows for rangers be tweaked so as they're usefulness while shouldn't be as effective as crafted, would still be good enough that rangers wouldn't scoff at using them should the need arise.
Mariss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:40 PM   #29
Nulad

General

[email protected] wrote:
With a WW I make decent money with arrows and I'd hate to lose that income.  At an average of 30-40 seconds per combine... In 10 mins you'd have 20 stacks of arrows.  So if they were selling at 2-3g per stack, that's 40 - 60 gold for 10 minutes worth of work.  Not a bad return at all.  The ratio of materials to quantity produced is negligible.I wouldn't suggest something so drastic as to remove arrows from the game altogether.  I would more prefer to see summoned arrows for rangers be tweaked so as they're usefulness while shouldn't be as effective as crafted, would still be good enough that rangers wouldn't scoff at using them should the need arise.
Now subtract the 40 gold it just cost you in silicate sandpaper...
Old 04-26-2008, 07:35 AM   #30
Lalerin

Loremaster

[email protected] DLere wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Now subtract the 40 gold it just cost you in silicate sandpaper...
Then add in the cost of the raw materials, which most crafters will obtain from the broker. 3 x redwood lumber + 4 ferrite cluster. Selling them for 2-3gp per stack would probably make me no profit on Blackburrow with the broker price of the raws.
Blackburrow Server.
Lalerin is offline   Reply With Quote