EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Development Corner > In Testing Feedback
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-01-2005, 07:07 PM   #31
Ethelwo

General

My only Big Worry is SOE's track record for changes. They have a very poor one when it comes to combat balance. They screwed it up in EQ1 and they couldnt get it right 9 months ago when they released this game. What in anyones mind (given the track record) would make them think they will get it right this time. It's the track record that sings the song. They rushed this game out to compete with Wow even though many of us posted that their ideas were seriously flawed. What makes anyone think their ideas are any better now. Their concern is with the game and not the clients. The vast majority of folks who play this game simply don't have a voice. Were not invited into betas and when we post we're ignored. Only money matters to them.

Maybe this game should fail. SOE has great developers. They can code just about anything. But they seem to lack any real vision and it shows in the mediocre art. They dont see it before they create it. They create it, and only then do they see what they have created. They come up with ideas to fit into what they created instead of creating around ideas in the first place. Thats why the game is flawed. They made a game with alot of great technology and the great technology dictated what they created. They never had a clue as to what they were creating. They let the new technology dictate the direction of the game. Now the game is off in the wrong direction and their struggling to keep it viable. Too many false assumptions were made at the outset to be corrected now with any combat change. They dictated class roles to fit a narrow view and hence we have remarks such as "tanks are supposed to stand there and get hit. Thats their role". Everyone has such a narrow view as to a classes role that the game is regressing to a level even less diverse then that of EQ1. The key to a 3rd or 4th generation MMORPG is not narrow roles but broad roles based on what a players choice is during game play. You really have only 4 classes. You are a meat shield, dps, healer or buffer.

4 roles. This combat change is going to narrow those roles even more then they already are. They are regressing not progressing.

Ethelwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 07:38 PM   #32
Styk

I see that people want to bag on me calling me an eq2 addict or worrying about my rent lol..... Well lets see , i choose what i like to do with my money and i decided to make a solid investment on a good PC to enjoy a hobbie i like alot, playing MMORPG's. If i needed a PC for home office software or internet usage then i would use the one i already have that is a year and a half old. I really dont see what postion you are in to judge what i do with my  money or my lifestyle You dont need to worry about my rent etc because it ALWAYS gets payed,  playing eq1 and now eq2 not only helped me save money, it helped me stop drinking alchohol , partying too much etc etc so if anything i should thank SoE for putting out a game that gave me that much interest that i decided to alter my lifestyle a little to have time to play ... ( also helped some friends too with their financial situation so um no complaints their ). The reason why i CARE about this game is because for the reasons i stated above... ITS MY HOBBIE one of the few that i get alot of enjoyment from, i pay for it as well, i as a customer not as a gamer have a right to complain about its direction.... I as a 5+ year customer to SoE also know their track record for getting things done the first time.... Want to take apart my post , go right ahead, i would like to see opinions on it, but please come up with something better then imposing your opinions on someones lifestyle because quite frankly YOU DON'T KNOW ME, you don't need to know me or how i choose to live it...

Message Edited by Styker on 08-01-2005 08:39 AM

Old 08-01-2005, 07:54 PM   #33
CasombraHellstalk

Ok I do have a question in this... I play a defiler... where do we fit in on all these changes? I mean our dots are crappy, our healing is crappy, our wards are half [expletive ninja'd by Faarbot] and our buffs basically suck.... tell me over genuine curiosity, where does defilers fit in anywhere? The Shaman in EQ1 were some of the best buffers and the best slower in the game.... we were very much needed and wanted in any raid or group... now we are just a percentage of usefullness. Basically a poorly designed back up healer. Very few times have I really gotten to be a defiler in any raid... all I am there is to chain heal... not dot, not slow, but heal. Is there any changes for us in the future to look forward to?
CasombraHellstalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 08:05 PM   #34
Kittypoo

Loremaster

I don't know where you are getting your information about the combat revamps, but they are not finished yet.  Don't freak out until you see the finished product.  You're just giving yourself unnecessary stress.  Okay? okay SMILEY

Old 08-01-2005, 08:52 PM   #35
Roaan

Loremaster

[RAMSY02] I do have a high level wizard also. yes its rough at times.. but hell we can solo almost anything with unbreakable roots just if mob hit us once, bam dead..

Im i missing something here, since when Wizzy have unbreakable roots that we can nuke on?

Roaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 10:23 PM   #36
Screamin' 1

ThePhoniex wrote:

Solaran_X wrote:

Guardians/Berserkers (and to a lesser role Paladins/Shadow Knights) are only there to keep the enemy's attention and get their head pounded while the true DPS classes (which are supposed to be Scouts and Mages) actually kill a mob. That is how it was in EQLive, and that is how it was SUPPOSED to be in EQ2. But the DPS ratings of the tanks was made too high, and is not being fixed. Just because you got used to playing the broken version of the class is your fault - not SOE's. They're doing their job and fixing the problem.

OH MY GOD.  Your are saying that we, the player base, is WRONG for playing broken classes?  Classes, that were created, developed and put into production by SOE?  That these balance problems are caused by players playing the classes avaiable to them; and not the [expletive ninja'd by Faarbot]ing people that MADE the game?

How can you argue with people that could possibly believe that... *sigh*

Exactly. They are "doing their job" and "fixing" a problem they *think* is there. A problem *they* put there.  To blame the players is just the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.  I have seen several comments about how tank DPS is too useful in parties and raids. All I can say is, as a level 46 guardian, my dps is woeful in a group. Healers out dps me by a ton. If I am soloing, and I add a Warden, the mobs drop 4 times quicker. I don't mind this, my damage mitigation balances it  out. But if my damage was any less, it would become ridiculous. Now granted, I can solo some mobs other classes cannot. But, it takes me forever, the mob and I both run out of power, and I just wear the mob down. It can take 7 minutes sometimes to take one down, even w/ manastone and PGT power procs. But, I could have made the same exp killing 8 weaker mobs, so it seems to even out to me. Here's something else interesting (This is a live server account): My guardian soloed Sundered Splitpaw in his late 30's (this is the first splitpaw zone, to get to the chest and get the 2md shard) Since the zone scales to the level of the player,  It was close, I died once because I allowed an add and did not run in time. But, for the  most part, it was very balanced.  This zone has been advertised as a solo/small group zone. My level 22 Illusiionist, however, got totally spanked. It was not even close. He would run out of power before killing the first mob in a group of 4, and that was after I decided to try it w/o mezzing. I hope the new changes are addressing this, because it is way out of balance. I should be fair and point out I was a bit rusty playing my illusionist, but even if I had played perfectly, the result would have been the same. On a lighter note, this is one of the funniest things I have ever read: It is very relvent to the dicussion too! Patch History of Blizzard Chess
Screamin' 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 10:41 PM   #37
Naginata

General

Kittypoo wrote:

I don't know where you are getting your information about the combat revamps, but they are not finished yet.  Don't freak out until you see the finished product.  You're just giving yourself unnecessary stress.  Okay? okay SMILEY

They get the information from the fumes of spray paint.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:20 PM   #38
lisasdarr

ThePhoniex wrote: OH MY GOD.  Your are saying that we, the player base, is WRONG for playing broken classes?  Classes, that were created, developed and put into production by SOE?  That these balance problems are caused by players playing the classes avaiable to them; and not the [expletive ninja'd by Faarbot]ing people that MADE the game?

How can you argue with people that could possibly believe that... *sigh*

Actually the problem here is perception, it is clear from both in and out of game information that all fighters are intended to be tanks and not DPS. As such playing a brawler with the expectation that the class is working as intended, when it clearly doesn't fit the stated description, and then complaining when it is fixed, is the players fault. If you had payed attention you would and should be aware that brawlers are intended to be tanks first and foremost, expecting it to remain any other way was wishful thinking, and clearly mistaken. The problem isn't playing the broken class, it is expecting it to stay broken when it is clear it shouldn't.