EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Scout's Den > Ranger
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-24-2006, 03:29 AM   #31
DmZB

General

Very likely thorny trap, since it is a pet, is related to this bug http://eqiiforums.station.sony.com/eq2/board/message?board.id=spells&message.id=9922&jump=true and is being worked on already.  There are a lot of pets and spells expiring almost immediately.

Message Edited by DmZBaT on 03-23-200605:32 PM

DmZB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 03:42 AM   #32
Zholain

Loremaster

watchout1138 wrote:
Bottom line they utterly destroyed our dps by taking stream of arrows away...and yes we still have the skill but its a useless piece of crap.  I can do more dmg with auto attack than i can with stream and that was before todays 33% upgrade in ranged auto attack.  They need to do something with that spell because right now i use it to pull mobs and thats it.

I wish Stream of Arrows had never been created.This is certainly not directed at you Watchout, or anyone else for that matter, but Stream of Arrows created lazy rangers.  When a class becomes so dependent on one skill to accomplish anything at all, that is inherently bad.  What I actually liked about the skill was that it gave me the ability to maintain very good dps while either a) CA's were recharging, or b) I was out of power or low on power.  However, it's raw power combined with the 'flaw' in proc mechanics made it severely overpowering, particularly while soloing.  So many rangers seem to have become so dependent on it, that the 'style' of play that we'd been used to simply vanished.  I hate what it did to the ranger class in general, and the glances that it caused to be thrown our way because it was so powerful.  In my opinion, I wish that the devs would either eliminate it, or bump up the damage...keep the range restrictions as it...and put it on a 10 or 15 minute reuse timer like Sniper Shot.There.  I said it.  Does that make me a bad ranger?Oh, and by the way.  I too am severely disappointed by what I'm hearing about the changes.  Hopefully, this is just a small first step of more changes to come.  But we all need to make sure we continue to express our concerns here in the forums and in-game via /feedback.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:48 AM   #33
Gareorn

Loremaster

Bah!  What a buzz kill.  Had a rough day at work, but was excited to get home and check out the changes.  I think I'll get a few chores done and go to bed early tonight.  I don't see a reason to log on.  Tomorrow will be a better day.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:07 AM   #34
Fennir

Loremaster

what the hell is all the bellyaching about?i'm enjoying the changes immenselyshrug getting tired of posting here i think.  you guys wont be happy till they hand u a bfg.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:11 AM   #35
Tasye

Loremaster

Fennir, you are a fanboi shill...you will love anything they do to you, with or without lube.LU21 did not address a single thing about the massive nerf to our class. We still have T2-T3 DPS, and THAT WILL NEVER CHANGE.It's too bad I wasn't L55 prior to the nerf, it would have been nice to see what kind of damage Pee of Arrows could do.
Tasye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 04:30 AM   #36
Gareorn

Loremaster

Fennir wrote:what the hell is all the bellyaching about?i'm enjoying the changes immenselyshrug getting tired of posting here i think.  you guys wont be happy till they hand u a bfg.

I'm not "bellyaching."  I'm just not logging on tonight.  And, I'm very happy with my character, thank you.:smileyhappy:
Old 03-24-2006, 04:41 AM   #37
purebree

General

I wish some of you wouldnt be so negative when you havent even tried the changes yet. ive been playing with them since the servers came up and i solo way better. the autoattack almost feels like what poison use to after it proc'd, ya know you hit a ca and there would be that little delay and then a huge chunk of life would come off from the procs. Well im feelin that again. against solo mobs im getting mostly aa hits in the 900s after i fire off a ca. if they have any life left when they get to me lunge and step back to finish them. im fighting yellow and orange solos.In groups i think most the added dps is going to come from autoattack also. throw on some haste and debuffs and youll be like a gattling gun. prob wont even use ca's much.
purebree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 04:44 AM   #38
Petrogly

Mary the Prophetess wrote:

I think that the hopes and expectations on the part of Rangers were pinned so highly on this update, and the results were so bland, that there will be a lot of players retiring their Rangers and switching to alts.

It's sad.

More like reitre there rangers and move on to Vanguard when it comes out.
Petrogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 04:47 AM   #39
Fennir

Loremaster

Tasye wrote:SMILEY SMILEY SMILEY SMILEY

im crying salty wet tears for u
Old 03-24-2006, 05:03 AM   #40
Sirlutt

Loremaster

I think that the hopes and expectations on the part of Rangers were pinned so highly on this update, and the results were so bland, that there will be a lot of players retiring their Rangers and switching to alts.

It's sad.

i retired mine right after the changes..  the mere fact that sony didnt realise how hard the changes would hit is a CLEAR indication that their "fixes" would fall short.. anyone thinking otherwise is fooling themselves...if they cant work out how to fix the broken mechanics effectively then theyhave very little chance of trying to fix the balls up they made of it and put Rangers back to being tier 1 DPS without relying on the  broken mechanics.really enjoying Guardian right now... and started a PvP assassin.

I heart DE Broads
Sirlutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 05:16 AM   #41
klepp

Loremaster

yes fennrir is the god of all fanboi's he's the alpha-fanboi...

that said, i was super excited to log in today as well.. hoping that i could consistantly hit the top of dps charts once again.   On a brighter note, doing the final mark trial the other night i was on the top about 1/2 the time.  But mind you,j im better equipped than close to everyone in my guild, i have 30aa and the reduced CA casting times.. and i have 16 master spells (14 t7) and full adept 3 on the rest....    Mind you the times i was on top were when i was 100% catching every ca as it refreshed nonstop.   i mean one bite of lag and the bruiser that was 20dps behind me woulda smoked me =p

anyhow i got off topic, its sad the changes were so subtle... and while its nice to be optimistic and think they'll add more... its just that.... being optimistic

klepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 05:34 AM   #42
Gareorn

Loremaster

Why all the Fennir hate?  He was the one who played on test and kept us all up-to-date on the changes as they happened.  He's usually one of the first to provide answers when someone asks a question.  He's one of the most helpful people around here.

Back to the subject... I haven't played yet, but the changes look pretty good to me.  I'm bummed about another CA being broke, seems kinda par for the course these days though.  Maybe the hotfix for TT will come before I get to log on.  I'm hoping anyway.

Old 03-24-2006, 05:53 AM   #43
LoreLady

Loremaster

I plan on hitting my assassin to 50ish, and giving a compleate screenshot comparison of ranger VS assassin. Just to end this damned thing on why we are currently underpowered to EVERYONE out there. Hell, maybe people will listen with screenshots to look at.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:16 AM   #44
klepp

Loremaster

no they wont, then they'll blame it on your playstyle, or your gear or innacurate parse data or anything else someone in fanboism and denial can come up with =)
Old 03-24-2006, 07:19 AM   #45
Kaleyen

Loremaster

The damage on my Hidden Fire Master I went down...why?

Kaleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 07:33 AM   #46
Velocidad

Loremaster

Without alot of time to test tonight, in the 6-7 fights I had in Bonemire...Trap sux! No Sense even wasting the time to set it, and root broke early 3 of the 6 times I used it, PBS is a waste also broke early 1-2 times. All fights against ^ Vorneous Stalkers by the hive.On the positive side the extra crits from Focus were nice and the upped dmg from the shots I could get off before early root/stun breakage were nice to see also.Once they get those fixed up we may be in better shape than everyone thinks. Then again it is SOE and they could break something else in the process.
Velocidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 08:47 AM   #47
Zaviur

Loremaster

Petroglyph wrote:

It's sad.

More like reitre there rangers and move on to Vanguard when it comes out.
Same I'm so tired of this Monks in eq1, Bst in eq1, and Rangers in eq2.  Gonna quit as soon as Van Guard comes out.
Zaviur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 08:55 AM   #48
Cirro

General

Ok, only read some of the posts, so forgive me if I'm repeating...

Thorny Trap, as of today, is victim of the temporary pet bug.  Just as the defilers and swarm pets are shot, so is our 'pet' trap till that gets fixed.

Yep, Lunge and Bleeding Cut and not on the same line, and my Lunge (granted, AD3) lasts 4 seconds every time I use it (long enough to pop a Triple into the mob).

If you don't have the time to do something right, where are you going to find the time to fix it? - Stephen King
Cirro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 09:03 AM   #49
Cirro

General

Kaleyen wrote:The damage on my Hidden Fire Master I went down...why?

Offhand guess, check your stats, specially strength.   They retro-nerfed armor, such as Xego, every piece lost 2 STR, so you may be a bit lower now than you were?

If you don't have the time to do something right, where are you going to find the time to fix it? - Stephen King
Cirro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 09:15 AM   #50
Emperors

Loremaster

Ok, first off I want to point out that I rarely post on the forums.  Second, why are most of you so down in the dumps after LU #21?  I think SOE did a more than usual good job at fixing us.  If you are trying to solo now, the short root is great for rooting and then steping back and firing off both the triple shot line and the open shot line before the mob hits you.  Or you can do my favorite move and triple shot then leg shot em so that you have even more time to back up more and continue to launch arrows at them.

Thorny trap is most likely a bug related to the pet bugs like someone pointed out in a previous post.

Focus fire in combination with the auto attack bow damage increase is absolutely amazing!!!  I'm getting a critical hit multiple times during the 10secs it's up and at least 1 or 2 of those shots are hitting for 1000 damage or more and I only have the skill at app1, so imagine what it will be like when you upgrade it.

Overall I'm very happy with what SOE has done and I'm by far not the most uberest Ranger out there.  For those people who want to hear about parsing DPS in groups, I had a guildy parse me and I was 300-400 DPS for about 5 fights (#1 DPS in group 3 of those 5) and 500-600 DPS for 2 fights (#1 both times).

Conclusion, I agree with Fennir.  There's nothing to be complaining about, and we should all be trying to do our best with what SOE gives us (which right now is pretty good/ a lot better than what it could have been).

Emperors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 09:35 AM   #51
Jay

General

Word, I played a bit with the changes (before all the servers went down), it was alright - I definitely liked a lot of the changes, and yeah, our damage didn't go down at least. SMILEY  I dunno about needing a BFG, but I'd just like feeling a bit more effective. Maybe I'll get to that point someday - either b/c of changes to the class or adaptations on my part.

I hear ya, Cat - but Stream itself was kinda just part of the big picture. A lot of us got 'lazy,' myself included... b/c of the proc mechanics, which were probably most noticeable in Stream, ya know?

Eh, it is just a game, we'll keep surviving. Later all.

Old 03-24-2006, 12:36 PM   #52
Mirdo

Loremaster

Well after playing for around 5 hours last night I'm with Fennir on this one.  But to really put out highest DPS requires a little thinking and timing of CA's and autoattacks. Towards the end a longinsh session my DPS was dropping from lack of attentiveness to timers.

Mirdo.

Mirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 12:53 PM   #53
Fennir

Loremaster

i played all night and had a lot of fun ripping chunks out of mobs in groups... .. solod a bunch... took out a few ^^^ heroics for old-times sake, new root is very nice
seen about a 100-200 consistent dps increase already, and i don't think i'm used to the changes completely yet... also have some new adept3's to get now that some skills are more usefuli definitely have to work for my dps but i don't feel very nerfed anymore, although stream needs to be fixed badly and triple/precise could use some sort of adjustment.  i'll leave the complaining to others tho, they way better at it than i.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:55 PM   #54
Stormhawk

Loremaster

I'm enjoying the changes quite a bit.  In fights were I could manage to time things right I was pushing some decently high DPS.  I still haven't decided if it is best to just open with Stealthy Fire then Focus Aim or try to squeeze everything in while using Focus Aim from stealth.  I'm thinking once I get Poise it won't be much of an issue but for now, I'm just not sure which is more efficent.  Teamed with some very deadly autoattack damage using Brutal Instinct and Honed Reflexes after Focus Aim, things can get pretty sick.Outside of fixing known bugs with our CAs, next I think they need to hammer out the arrow problem.  Summoning a handful of arrows in the time it takes to tear through a couple stacks is a real problem we need to focus our efforts on getting fixed.  They either need to up the number of arrows summoned or reduce the recast time.  In addition, T5 and T6 arrows need their prices slashed in half atleast.  Maintaining an arrow supply is getting quite insane.

Message Edited by Stormhawk on 03-23-200611:55 PM

Stormhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 02:40 PM   #55
TofuPatty

Loremaster

Gotta say I'm very happy with the changes in LU21 so far.  I did some soloing and grouping and things are better all around.  The change to the lunge line to be a root combined with the leg shot line being far more reliable as a snare have made soloing much better.  Finally having reclaimed arrows produce t7 ammunition has made a huge difference on auto-attack.Focus Aim adding a ranged crit % is frankly huge.  I was lucky enough to find a master of it on the market a couple of days ago and snatched it up, the additional 41% chance to critical on it is probably the best investment I've made - and remember, it's a master2 training option at 64 as well for those not yet at 64 or who have a /respec left to use.  You can get off a lot of the long reuse high damage bow skills in the 10 seconds it up and with poise reducing casting times by 35% - I'm glad I've been saving the points to buy it rather than spending them to max out bow criticals first.  I get the feeling that the ability to critical that often for 10 seconds hasn't really sunk in completely, since criticals will do a minimum of max damage+1 to a maximum of max damage*1.3 you remove the basement value and are assured of hitting for at least the highest value.  Watching most of the shots of rain of arrows making critical hits on a group of mobs is a thing of beauty - and you still have 7.5 seconds of high damage skills to use before focus aim fades.  Being able to critical sniper shot more often than not is great.My only complaint so far is that the damage rating on Grizzfazzle's Bow was not changed and remains 80.8 while every other bow I own or have seen has been adjusted up, and Grizzfazzle's is the bow of choice not just for rangers but for a lot of bow using classes 65+.  I know a lot of scouts who picked the bow because there are DW weapons with better ratings out there than the Grizzfazzle's DW and they're fairly easy to get compared to the paucity of good bows.  Even the Darkfury Longbow was adjusted up and is actually a higher DR now than Grizzfazzle at 82.1.  I want to smack myself for not bidding on it because at the time its DR was waaay below Grizzfazzle.  Hopefully Grizzfazzle's will be adjusted upwards since as it stands the bow is still far below the DR of the 2 handed quest reward option which was what, 92.1?, has far better stats on it and there are a plethora of 2 handed weapons with equal or better DRs that are fairly easily obtainable while good bows still remain elusive.
TofuPatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 03:16 PM   #56
klepp

Loremaster

a good job of fixing us? ........ i wont touch that sentence but... just as one of many, they gave us a root, and nerf'd our pbs.   Kinda like when they increased casting timers and gave us an aa that reduces them..... kinda makes not too much sense eh?
Old 03-24-2006, 03:18 PM   #57
klepp

Loremaster

oh and the backup and leg shot and kite method ect is fine and dandy..... when there isnt any other mobs around!! what happens when you get aggro from 2 triple ups in sanctum...?   I know what happens, you evac or run for your life....  Now let me tell ya what happens when a conjuror gets aggro from 2 triple ups....
Old 03-24-2006, 03:20 PM   #58
klepp

Loremaster

fennir if ya go tsome new adept3's... that probably had something to do w/ your dps increase...

and as for being fixed... we arent fixed until conjrors and bruisers dont put out more damage =p

Old 03-24-2006, 03:36 PM   #59
Craith

Loremaster

I tried the changes for a bit today, and I really like them. I don't know if we are on par with Assasins yet, but it was definately (sp?) a step in the right direction. I just wish Stream would be a bit better, my only Master 1, and the only skill I never get to use SMILEY
Craith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 05:13 PM   #60
Mirdo

Loremaster

Tofupatty,

Completely agree with your assessment of the focus line now. Timing it to coincide with our big CA's is key to getting the best out of our damage potential. I also think that maybe a number of people are underestimating the effect it can have on our DPS.

I'm not sure they will up the DR on Grizzfazzle's bow - isn't darkfury a fabled raid drop? I can't see them putting the DR on a relatively easy to obtain bow as high as a fabled raid drop - although given the history of itemisation in this game I guess anything is possible (although it is improving).

btw, I wonder how many positive posts about the changes I have to make before being labelled a Fanboi or a shill (what a quaint word)- I've always wanted a label like that - must try harder.

Mirdo.

Mirdo is offline   Reply With Quote