EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

 

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Scout's Den > Ranger
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2006, 10:46 PM   #1
Tasye

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 86
Default

They nerfed thorny trap, now it doesn't work AT ALL.Lunge SUCKS. It's on the same reuse timer as our other melee dots. On top of that, it only lasts 1 second, not enough time to do anything. If I want to play a twitch reflex button masher, then I'd buy an XBox.Patch doesn't add any real DPS at all.THANKS FOR THE BUFF TO A FEW OF OUR MELEE SKILLS....GREAT SINCE WE ARE A RANGED CLASS.Patch gets an F+.
Tasye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:00 PM   #2
Fennir

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 760
Default

ok one by one:1. lunge doesnt suck.  i just used it and it lasts 4s on every mob.  it's on the same re-use timer as the other skills IN ITS LINE.  LIKE ALWAYS.  not sure what that complaint is about.2.  trap definitely appears to be screwed up, not sure what the deal is with that3.  umm amazing shot and confusion both max out over 1k now, snaring shot was also buffed, focus line adds ranged crit chance and has lower reuse... those are melee skills?edit: tested trap some more, it appears to be going away when i run over it LOL w t f

Message Edited by Fennir on 03-23-200601:00 PM

__________________
" I constanly read these forums and seeing your stupid sig starting too get to me" - finedork
Fennir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:03 PM   #3
Tasye

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 86
Default

You must have the official SOE shill fanboi Lunge. All others won't last 4 seconds. LOL.
Tasye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:03 PM   #4
Ranja

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,657
Default

HAve you tried Thorny Trap in a number of different cases? I know it does not work properly on uneven ground or with flying mobs, but when I used it in dungeons on flat ground with running mobs it worked consistently. They did not mention anything about thorny trap in the notes. Are you positive it never works? It worked poorly before - is it still just working poorly?
 
The root last 1 second. On test it was 4 secs. What skill level is that line? App1, App2, etc. That does suck that it is on the same timer as our bleeding cut line. This was not mentioned in the notes. So they basically took a way a melee skill. So now we only have 3. That does not sounds good.
 
You do know that they increase auto attack on bow, leg shot damage, confusion damage, and miracle arrow. Those are ranged skills
 
Edited: Fennir beat me to my post. I think you need to calm downSMILEY
 

Message Edited by bentgate on 03-23-200610:05 AM

__________________
Elbryan, 90 Half-elf Ranger

Thoghmor, 70 Troll Bruiser

Rotir, 90 Dark Elf Swash

Terrano, 82 Dark Elf Dirge

Aymon, 90, Barbarian Shadowknight

The Destroyer of Worlds:

http://s7.gladiatus.com/game/c.php?uid=84341
Ranja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:05 PM   #5
Fennir

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 760
Default

yea the trap is busted completelyi lay it down and it just disappears after 2s all by itself, no rhyme or reason.... has to be a bug
__________________
" I constanly read these forums and seeing your stupid sig starting too get to me" - finedork
Fennir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:06 PM   #6
Mondrago

General
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 27
Default

So...the patch did what we all thought it would, which was increase our DPS up a little but nothing even close to pre LU 20?  But do you think the increase was enough?  Overall grade?

 

I know...too many questions.

Mondrago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:09 PM   #7
Fennir

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 760
Default

btw lunge line is NOT on the same timer as bleeding cut linedon't listen to hysterics
__________________
" I constanly read these forums and seeing your stupid sig starting too get to me" - finedork
Fennir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:19 PM   #8
LoreLady

Loremaster
LoreLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,039
Default

On one hand I am happy, on the other hand I am disapointed. I was expecting a larger increase on confusion arrow, and snaring shot. I hoping for around 700 -800 damage for snaring shot instead of300- 470 (master 1'd btw).  I was expecting the skills to atleast double in power. But I have to admit, amazing shot is a great boost. 1.2k max damage SMILEYI am going to continue playing my assassin, its something new to me and im having fun. I'll go back to my ranger when I get bored of my assassin.

Message Edited by LoreLady on 03-23-200610:19 AM

__________________
RIP Oakleaf 1949-2006
LoreLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:25 PM   #9
Sirlutt

Loremaster
Sirlutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,149
Default

same with me on my Guardian .. whose melee combat arts do more damage than my Rangers btw .. (no i am not saying the guardian does more DPS, just that his melee skills hit for more) .. not enough changes to reverse the feeling I get when playing my Ranger that I am a melee class solo and Ranged class when grouped.
__________________

I heart DE Broads
Sirlutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:26 PM   #10
A

 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 165
Default


LoreLady wrote:
On one hand I am happy, on the other hand I am disapointed. I was expecting a larger increase on confusion arrow, and snaring shot. I hoping for around 700 -800 damage for snaring shot instead of300- 470 (master 1'd btw).  I was expecting the skills to atleast double in power. But I have to admit, amazing shot is a great boost. 1.2k max damage SMILEYI am going to continue playing my assassin, its something new to me and im having fun. I'll go back to my ranger when I get bored of my assassin.

Message Edited by LoreLady on 03-23-200610:19 AM


A big increase on confusion arrow would kind of break the design of the skill.

It's designed to help the MT grab better aggro, which is harder if the CA does a lot of damage by itself...

A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:32 PM   #11
LoreLady

Loremaster
LoreLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,039
Default

I still feel that it isent enough of a boost to be on par with assassins, to many skills that dont do enough damage, precise shot, and tripple shot, id even add hidden fire to that list. I personally feel that something still has to be boosted. It may be SoE's plan to take things slow and continue to tweak changes in the future, or this could be "as intended" But, having 640 max damage for things like precise shot, or the amount of parry that effects tripple shot kinda puts a large damper on things.I have tried to stay positive in all my ranger posts but I really feel like the underdog to our counter part, and staying positive is a very difficult thing to do when searching for eqality in DPS.
__________________
RIP Oakleaf 1949-2006
LoreLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:41 PM   #12
Ranja

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,657
Default


LoreLady wrote:I still feel that it isent enough of a boost to be on par with assassins, to many skills that dont do enough damage, precise shot, and tripple shot, id even add hidden fire to that list. I personally feel that something still has to be boosted. It may be SoE's plan to take things slow and continue to tweak changes in the future, or this could be "as intended" But, having 640 max damage for things like precise shot, or the amount of parry that effects tripple shot kinda puts a large damper on things.I have tried to stay positive in all my ranger posts but I really feel like the underdog to our counter part, and staying positive is a very difficult thing to do when searching for eqality in DPS.

I agree with you LoreLady. Precise Shot and Triple Shot are woefully underpowered for our major skills as is stealthy fire. Consider this: Stealthy Fire is our big hitter and does around 1900-2100 damage (on average). What are the assassin's big hitter (minus assassinate because we have snipers for that). I am sure it is much higher. As well as a wizards and warlocks.Then you take Precise shot which as you say does max 640 - that is a disgusting small amount of damage for one of our higer damage skills. Although it is on a 10 sec recast timer. Then you have Triple Fire which does around max 1000 now. Of course, this is all without procs but with the new proc rules, proc rarely ever happen. Those are two of our big hitters that do no where near the damage of even a bruiser or monk melee skills.

FWIW, I am ignorant of recast timers on these skills so those probably play a factor.

 

__________________
Elbryan, 90 Half-elf Ranger

Thoghmor, 70 Troll Bruiser

Rotir, 90 Dark Elf Swash

Terrano, 82 Dark Elf Dirge

Aymon, 90, Barbarian Shadowknight

The Destroyer of Worlds:

http://s7.gladiatus.com/game/c.php?uid=84341
Ranja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:48 PM   #13
A

 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 165
Default


bentgate wrote:

LoreLady wrote:I still feel that it isent enough of a boost to be on par with assassins, to many skills that dont do enough damage, precise shot, and tripple shot, id even add hidden fire to that list. I personally feel that something still has to be boosted. It may be SoE's plan to take things slow and continue to tweak changes in the future, or this could be "as intended" But, having 640 max damage for things like precise shot, or the amount of parry that effects tripple shot kinda puts a large damper on things.I have tried to stay positive in all my ranger posts but I really feel like the underdog to our counter part, and staying positive is a very difficult thing to do when searching for eqality in DPS.

I agree with you LoreLady. Precise Shot and Triple Shot are woefully underpowered for our major skills as is stealthy fire. Consider this: Stealthy Fire is our big hitter and does around 1900-2100 damage (on average). What are the assassin's big hitter (minus assassinate because we have snipers for that). I am sure it is much higher. As well as a wizards and warlocks.Then you take Precise shot which as you say does max 640 - that is a disgusting small amount of damage for one of our higer damage skills. Although it is on a 10 sec recast timer. Then you have Triple Fire which does around max 1000 now. Of course, this is all without procs but with the new proc rules, proc rarely ever happen. Those are two of our big hitters that do no where near the damage of even a bruiser or monk melee skills.

FWIW, I am ignorant of recast timers on these skills so those probably play a factor.

 


Hu ?

Which version of the skill are you speaking off ?

The third arrow alone of my tripple volley does around 900 dmg at adept 3.

A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 12:12 AM   #14
LoreLady

Loremaster
LoreLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,039
Default

Tripple arrow does what, 150-250, then 250-500, then 400-700? - but really the chances of actually doing full damage are very slim to get the last arrow in. And for a 1.5 second casttime, 1 min recast comes to around 600 dpsfor the full damage. Where you look at most other classes for full damage, and the rating is much higher.And, precise shot has a 20 second recast bent SMILEY
__________________
RIP Oakleaf 1949-2006
LoreLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 12:26 AM   #15
Shaulin Dolamite

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 158
Default

Did Ebony longbow and Grizz bow both get DR increased and if so to what?
Shaulin Dolamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 12:34 AM   #16
Star

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 481
Default

Ebony did I think, Grizz is now showing 80.8DR (I think it was 80.6 before). *mutters*
__________________
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 01:20 AM   #17
TwistedFaith

Loremaster
TwistedFaith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 892
Default

Yep Thoryn trap is bizzarely even more broke than it was before (kudos to SoE for that).As for the triple shot which has been mentioned before, I said the same thing over a month ago.It's a pathetically underpowered skill. Check out the lvl 70 version, thats a complete disgrace in terms of the damage it does.The intial base dmg of it needs to be increased drastically just to make it decent. It sucks as if it was a one shot 2.5k-3k hit then it would rock, sadly it's more like a 800dmg hit with a HUGE maybe factor that can make it hit harder.Also I thought legshot was supposed to get a increase, no idea what happened there. Master 1 does around 350dmg, UBER!On the positive side, Focus rocks, got myself a master 1 of it and it's sweet. 10seconds of frantically spamming the skills, lol.
TwistedFaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 01:34 AM   #18
Spite

Loremaster
Spite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 222
Default

I use focus then either sniper of hidden whichever is up. You can cast it while stealth - many people miss that aspect of it.
Spite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 01:37 AM   #19
LoreLady

Loremaster
LoreLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,039
Default

But you fail to realize that the DPS buff only effects auto attack, not skills? Using focus fire while in stealth like that is near pointless unless you are looking for a extra chance to hit with sniper shot/focus fire.
__________________
RIP Oakleaf 1949-2006
LoreLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 02:09 AM   #20
lilmohi

Loremaster
lilmohi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 303
Default

About thorny trap:  All non-persistant pets are bugged right now...it is a known bug and they are working on it.
 
 
I suspect a hotfix will go in for this very quickly since it affects more than just rangers.
lilmohi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 02:34 AM   #21
hieronym

General
hieronym's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 493
Default

what are adamintine arrows hitting for now on auto attack?
__________________
Hiero the Ranger

Essen the Zerker
hieronym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 02:56 AM   #22
Jay

General
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,137
Default

Kinda saddened by the preliminary reports...not that they sound all that bad, they just don't sound very good. Nobody realistically expects our damage to get anywhere close to pre-LU20, but I was hoping this LU would make us a little less underpowered. Right now I feel like a utility class without any utility, cuz I sure don't bring a whole lot of damage. I've grouped with wizards, warlocks, swashes, necros, and assassins lately and I'm usually behind all of them. For the first time, I'm starting to dislike being stuck with so many conditional attacks, while the mages can stand in one place and click buttons as long as they have line of sight.
 
Can you tell that my guild's active T7 group has started parsing every night? SMILEY  Bleh.
__________________
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 03:02 AM   #23
Carna

 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 515
Default

My main is a Brigand... I have a Ranger alt I rolled out to get the measure of the Ranger "changes".... he's only lvl 38 so I was interested to see what SOE was going to do to address his decimated dps.... all I can say is bollocks.

I've no idea if the changes did anything for higher levels... where's the root? Did I miss it? Seriously, am I simply missing something? Is there another class who a blue 1-up mob puts more of a dent into than a mid-level Ranger? Yeah I can beat a blue ^ mob, but I'd rather take a yellow even no arrow mob that I would a green ^ mob with a Ranger.

I'll save my Ranger for when the betrayal comes out.

EDIT: Lo siento, mia culpa... I'm on and EU server and apparently we haven't even got the patch yet despite it being in our live update notes. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to play with root. SMILEY

Message Edited by Carnagh on 03-23-200602:10 PM

Carna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 03:02 AM   #24
Mary the Prophetess

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,472
Default

I think that the hopes and expectations on the part of Rangers were pinned so highly on this update, and the results were so bland, that there will be a lot of players retiring their Rangers and switching to alts.

It's sad.

Mary the Prophetess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 03:02 AM   #25
LoreLady

Loremaster
LoreLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,039
Default


Jay42 wrote:
Kinda saddened by the preliminary reports...not that they sound all that bad, they just don't sound very good. Nobody realistically expects our damage to get anywhere close to pre-LU20, but I was hoping this LU would make us a little less underpowered. Right now I feel like a utility class without any utility, cuz I sure don't bring a whole lot of damage. I've grouped with wizards, warlocks, swashes, necros, and assassins lately and I'm usually behind all of them. For the first time, I'm starting to dislike being stuck with so many conditional attacks, while the mages can stand in one place and click buttons as long as they have line of sight.
 
Can you tell that my guild's active T7 group has started parsing every night? SMILEY  Bleh.

I was counting on you to bring me out of this doom and gloom about rangers since I have lost my positive spark towards this class. I figured if anyone could bring light to the dark it would be jay42. But anyways, I hope they continue working on rangers.
__________________
RIP Oakleaf 1949-2006
LoreLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 03:04 AM   #26
purebree

General
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 7
Default

"what are adamintine arrows hitting for now on auto attack?"Ive been autoattack kiting to see the numbers. 62 ranger, ironwood bow, str 280ish.Arrows are hitting for 400-800 or so.Now turn on Brutal Instinct and kite autoattack, 1834, 1762, 1305, 1573 705 1775 1427 810and that was a 65^^ defender. too bad its a 5min recast.I havent grouped yet but so far solo i feel pretty good.
purebree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 03:05 AM   #27
watchout11

 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 9
Default

Bottom line they utterly destroyed our dps by taking stream of arrows away...and yes we still have the skill but its a useless piece of crap.  I can do more dmg with auto attack than i can with stream and that was before todays 33% upgrade in ranged auto attack.  They need to do something with that spell because right now i use it to pull mobs and thats it.
 
Today was a pitiful attempt at increasing our dps back to T1 where they said we should be IMHO.
__________________
watchout11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 03:05 AM   #28
Aerious Eldrin

Loremaster
Aerious Eldrin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Behind you!!!!
Posts: 23
Default

just logged on after reading the boards here and wanted to post what I have experienced so far just soloing about.
 
lunging blade root is 4secs apprentice IV
 
ebony bow 70.4 DR
 
My STR is is 341.  w/ focus up I fired off two reg shot both crit one for 1790 the other 2260.  reg shot now. 
 
Also, hit focus and fired triple shot and all three hit all three crits.
 
Haven't grouped yet, but could be nice...either way better than what we had.  as good as pre LU20?  probably never gonna be that agin /sigh
 
oh and as an end not
 
MAKE ACRYLIA USUABLE FOR SCOUT RARES!!!
 
ty
Aerious Eldrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 03:11 AM   #29
Jay

General
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,137
Default


LoreLady wrote:

Jay42 wrote:
Kinda saddened by the preliminary reports...not that they sound all that bad, they just don't sound very good. Nobody realistically expects our damage to get anywhere close to pre-LU20, but I was hoping this LU would make us a little less underpowered. Right now I feel like a utility class without any utility, cuz I sure don't bring a whole lot of damage. I've grouped with wizards, warlocks, swashes, necros, and assassins lately and I'm usually behind all of them. For the first time, I'm starting to dislike being stuck with so many conditional attacks, while the mages can stand in one place and click buttons as long as they have line of sight.
 
Can you tell that my guild's active T7 group has started parsing every night? SMILEY  Bleh.

I was counting on you to bring me out of this doom and gloom about rangers since I have lost my positive spark towards this class. I figured if anyone could bring light to the dark it would be jay42. But anyways, I hope they continue working on rangers.

LOL I know, I actually feel guilty when I post like that b/c I'm usually expected to be the class cheerleader and encourage everyone to keep their heads up in the face of adversity. But I'm only human like everybody else, and I get discouraged a lot more often than I let on.

We'll see - it's not like I'm going to give up hope and walk away from my main; that's just not an option. The game is still fun for me, and I'll play a ranger whether we're gimped or overpowered, I'd just prefer to be at least adequate. I guess I am, at the moment. Just getting tired of struggling against the game mechanics to try and eke out even passable DPS. I wish I was as skilled and well-equipped as the others who are breaking 500 or 600 in every fight, but I'm not.

In the end, you shouldn't waste your time doing something you don't enjoy. Loyalty to the class is a good thing, but loyalty at the cost of having fun may be a pretty steep price to pay. It's not like you get some reward or recognition for sticking with it through thick and thin.

__________________
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 03:21 AM   #30
Kaleyen

Loremaster
Kaleyen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: kk thx la~
Posts: 1,341
Default

Guess I'll be the one to say it then...Chin up!  It will get better, this was just the first baby step of many to get us back on track!
__________________
Blaye | 80 Guardian | Leader of Anomaly

Kaleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:01 PM.

vBulletin skin by: CompleteGFX.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All threads and posts originally from the EQ2 and Station forums operated by Sony Online Entertainment. Their use is by express written permission.