EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Scout's Den > Ranger
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-07-2006, 12:53 PM   #1
Fennir

Loremaster

Ranger changes:- Leg Shot had its damage increased and no longer has a double chance to dispel when taking damage.- Bleeding Cut's DoT damage has increased.- Steady Aim's reuse timer has been reduced, and it now increases ranged critical hit chances.- Trick Shot had its casting time reduced and damage increased.- Rip had its damage increased.- Miracle Shot had its damage increased.- Lunge was changed from a DoT to a combination melee attack + very short duration root.

Message Edited by Fennir on 03-07-200603:51 AM

Old 03-07-2006, 01:54 PM   #2
Fennir

Loremaster

These were taken at 25 STR on test and 34 STR on live to try to get comparable screenshots.before:after:
Old 03-07-2006, 02:05 PM   #3
TwistedFaith

Loremaster

Wow really disapointed that triple fire didnt get a boost, thats out bread and butter spell and well it looks pretty pathetic at 70 SMILEY

Message Edited by valleyboy1 on 03-07-200601:07 AM

TwistedFaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 02:07 PM   #4
Melax

duration 4 seconds
Old 03-07-2006, 02:08 PM   #5
TwistedFaith

Loremaster

Melaxus wrote:
duration 4 seconds
2 ranged attacks in 4 seconds?
Old 03-07-2006, 02:45 PM   #6
Radgen

Loremaster

valleyboy1 wrote:

Melaxus wrote:
duration 4 seconds
2 ranged attacks in 4 seconds?
Sure, if you pick the right ones.  They never said we would be able to get off ANY 2 CA's
Radgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 04:00 PM   #7
Azzazal

Loremaster

I cant see this as a vast improvement to get us into decent dps again, Has any test ranger parsed this? Not impressed.Perhaps if a dev actually bothed to play a ranger at all levels instead of [Removed for Content] around PVP balancing we may get our true proc status back.Azzarangering since Kunark in eq1."not buying an 8 patch "omg we left in procs by mistake""
Azzazal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 04:09 PM   #8
TwistedFaith

Loremaster

Azzazal wrote:I cant see this as a vast improvement to get us into decent dps again, Has any test ranger parsed this? Not impressed.Perhaps if a dev actually bothed to play a ranger at all levels instead of [Removed for Content] around PVP balancing we may get our true proc status back.Azzarangering since Kunark in eq1."not buying an 8 patch "omg we left in procs by mistake""

I tend to agree, the two skills that ranger use the most are imho precise shot and triple shot, both of which are vastly underpowered at lvl 70 in comparison to the other t1 classes.Check out the lvl 65 fusion spell that wizzys get, and then look at Rain of Arrows. It's the same with Ice Nova when you compare it to Triple Volley, the base damage simply isnt there. We can play around with stuns, roots, everything but at the end of the day if the base damage of our main attacks arnt upto speed then we will be lagging behind.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:14 PM   #9
Stigch

you're not seeing the bigger picture. It's actually quite brilliant. These changes will defenitely not put us back where we were, but they will make us just that tiny bit more effective. Not alot, but just enough. The added root ability is a small blessing. Now you can fire off your ranged, let the mob get to you, step in, lunge and if it isn't dead yet, you can stand back and let a few more ranged ca's rip. it will take a little practise, but thats'ok.

Now, combine this with the rather exciting achievement options you get in the agility and intelligence lines and the ranger is well on the way to becoming the god of damage again.

Now that the bigger plan is becoming more and more appearant. Nerfzilla doesn't seem all that bad anymore. Here's hoping it turns out the way I think it will.

Stigch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 04:40 PM   #10
ReynardTheFox

Loremaster

These changes are a waste of time, like a lot of what the EQ2 dev team do.
ReynardTheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 07:13 PM   #11
Bithnar

Loremaster

I am diappointed that Triple shot line didnt get an increase.  However, these may not been all the changes that are going to take place.  These just may be what they have changed so far.  4 Second root isnt that great I wish it was 6 seconds (Also, notice its a 4 second root every 20 seconds).  I like the increased critical chance on the steady aim thats a fantastic change IMHO.

I hope they up the damage of ALL our CA's and not just the ones Fennir has posted.  This is a great start please don't stop with just this.

Old 03-07-2006, 07:50 PM   #12
Teksun

Loremaster

If you got off all your snares while the MoB was closing, those four seconds can give you a LOT of room to play in...

Nerf the Hobbits
Teksun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 08:03 PM   #13
Saihung23

Loremaster

So, what do you think Fennir?  Did you play these changes on test?  

We need a ranger test guy posting his/her thoughts on ranger changes as they happen on test. That way we can be aware of them...

Curious about first hand thoughts on these...

Old 03-07-2006, 08:16 PM   #14
Shaulin Dolamite

Loremaster

Sure hope there is more to come : (  First off thought the minimum was a 6 sec root. In total DPS gained these changes wont even show im suspecting.
Shaulin Dolamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 08:27 PM   #15
TaleraRis

Loremaster

4 seconds, [Removed for Content].

Considering we have to be in melee range for that to go off, unless we're in the sweet spot when that happens (which won't be happening while soloing) we'll have to backpedal at least a couple of steps to get a ranged attack off. They don't seem to be taking that into consideration at all.
Najena

Morgasand Ka'Bael
54 Roswellian Mind Scrambler
87 Shield Polisher
Najena
TaleraRis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 08:40 PM   #16
Sirlutt

Loremaster

underwhelmed is the word i am looking for here i think.nice to get something, but I was expecting a little more.

I heart DE Broads
Sirlutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 09:27 PM   #17
Fennir

Loremaster

ahahahahahthe devs are giving us a 48% chance to crit for 10 seconds every minute, doubled the damage on one skill, upped damage on 4 or 5 others, added a root, eliminated half the break chance on our snare shot, and lowered the cast time on another attack.less than a month after they broke us no lessand all i hear is disappointment and cries for more?you guys are lame, sorry.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:37 PM   #18
Teksun

Loremaster

Fennir wrote:ahahahahahthe devs are giving us a 48% chance to crit for 10 seconds every minute, doubled the damage on one skill, upped damage on 4 or 5 others, added a root, eliminated half the break chance on our snare shot, and lowered the cast time on another attack.less than a month after they broke us no lessand all i hear is disappointment and cries for more?you guys are lame, sorry.

/[Removed for Content] I agree with ya...

Nerf the Hobbits
Teksun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 09:39 PM   #19
ChaosUndivided

Loremaster

Fennir wrote:ahahahahahthe devs are giving us a 48% chance to crit for 10 seconds every minute, doubled the damage on one skill, upped damage on 4 or 5 others, added a root, eliminated half the break chance on our snare shot, and lowered the cast time on another attack.less than a month after they broke us no lessand all i hear is disappointment and cries for more?you guys are lame, sorry.

Agreed, you guys are whining way to much, these changes are awesome, Don't forget the 33% Boost to bow DPS.

You guys need to stop thinking we will be uber gods and start being more reasonable.

ChaosUndivided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 09:41 PM   #20
Fennir

Loremaster

i mean COME ON WE ARE GOING TO GET A 50/50 SHOT TO CRIT SNIPER'S SHOT AND STEALTHY FIRE EVERY CASTahahahha this is gonna be great
Old 03-07-2006, 09:44 PM   #21
Saihung23

Loremaster

Have you played this Fennir?  I would imagine so, having the screenies...

So, after playing the changes you like them?  If so, thats great...

Saihung

Old 03-07-2006, 09:46 PM   #22
ChaosUndivided

Loremaster

Fennir wrote:i mean COME ON WE ARE GOING TO GET A 50/50 SHOT TO CRIT SNIPER'S SHOT AND STEALTHY FIRE EVERY CASTahahahha this is gonna be great

Yup, and with Maxed Rank 4 Agility and Focus Fire up, Our crit chance is going to be sick. Imagine dropping a Triple Arrow, Blazing Shot Combo. Where each arrow has a 75% chance to crit.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:51 PM   #23
hieronym

General

still dubious if this will really make that much difference. Id like to see if these changes add another 400DPS that im losing out to a guild assassin when we raided courts last night.

Essen the Zerker
hieronym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 09:51 PM   #24
Fennir

Loremaster

I didn't play with the changes.  I have a lvl 6 bearded female dwarf that I used to link master spells from the itemdb with.   Then I took off all my armor on Live and linked the same masters.I also checked out the damage rating on imbued ironwood (62.1, the exact increase we were told), and the new stats on xegonite melodic (16 str 16 agi 15 int 134/268/268/134 to 4 resists and +1 disruption).I don't need to play with the changes to know they're exactly what we need.  My other skills are fine and I still use them to great success.  The ones being changed are the exact skills that I've always felt were too lackluster and could use a boost. Add up all those changes and we are looking at the DPS fix we need.  Anything more would be overkill.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:07 PM   #25

General

hieronymus wrote:
still dubious if this will really make that much difference. Id like to see if these changes add another 400DPS that im losing out to a guild assassin when we raided courts last night.

Sorry Hieronymus. I can't say this has been my experience. The assassin I grouped with in Courts Sunday was doing around the same DPS I was. Sometimes I was up. Sometimes he was. The best DPS he ever did over me was 100. We were both sitting around 500dps. How much is this about equipment I wonder?I was killing solo yellow ^ last night on Isle of Awakening last night. I planned carefully what I was going to do and did it. I died a few times but that's normal. I wouldn't mind squeezing a little more DPS out, but I don't understand the posts about not being able to kill yellow or even blue for that matter. I have some nice equipment for sure, but I don't know that it's better than other Ranger's at my level. I don't compare. I do know that my experiences do not synch with 70% of the posters to these boards though. I'd love to figure out why.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:19 PM   #26
TwistedFaith

Loremaster

ChaosUndivided wrote:

Fennir wrote:i mean COME ON WE ARE GOING TO GET A 50/50 SHOT TO CRIT SNIPER'S SHOT AND STEALTHY FIRE EVERY CASTahahahha this is gonna be great

Yup, and with Maxed Rank 4 Agility and Focus Fire up, Our crit chance is going to be sick. Imagine dropping a Triple Arrow, Blazing Shot Combo. Where each arrow has a 75% chance to crit.
I was under the impression that the agility line AA skill involving critical attacks ONLY work with auto attack not with combat attacks?
Old 03-07-2006, 10:22 PM   #27
Yrield

General

ChaosUndivided wrote:

So 5 criticals, 2 CAs500 + 800 + 1300 + 650 + 650 = 3900if you are lucky you get 2 criticals quick shot for 600once a year you get 2 criticals poison over that 2x600for a grand total of 6300 damage every 63.5 sec or 99.2 dps (every 93.5 sec if you wait for Focus Fire -- 67.3 dps)/shrug, every step forward are a fix right now, gonna have to wait and see how these changes really affect us in game.Im still suprised to see no change -at all- on Triple Volley and Precise Shot, but oh well... wait and see.... wait and see...
Yrield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 10:22 PM   #28
Fennir

Loremaster

no, combat arts crit just the same as autoattack.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:25 PM   #29
Yrield

General

valleyboy1 wrote:

ChaosUndivided wrote:

I was under the impression that the agility line AA skill involving critical attacks ONLY work with auto attack not with combat attacks?
Ranged expertise affect ranged auto attacks and CAs
Yrield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 10:29 PM   #30
ChaosUndivided

Loremaster

Yrieldom wrote:

ChaosUndivided wrote:

So 5 criticals, 2 CAs500 + 800 + 1300 + 650 + 650 = 3900if you are lucky you get 2 criticals quick shot for 600once a year you get 2 criticals poison over that 2x600for a grand total of 6300 damage every 63.5 sec or 99.2 dps (every 93.5 sec if you wait for Focus Fire -- 67.3 dps)/shrug, every step forward are a fix right now, gonna have to wait and see how these changes really affect us in game.Im still suprised to see no change -at all- on Triple Volley and Precise Shot, but oh well... wait and see.... wait and see...

Well sure if you only use those 2 abilities, but who uses two skills and just stands there?

I can tell from looking at these changes that they are going to help a ton, no amount of theoryquest is going to convince the naysayers though so we will just have to wait and see.

All I ask is people give them a chance and not start complaining even before they go live.