EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Scout's Den > Ranger
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-05-2006, 06:45 AM   #31
lamad

Let my try and sum up what i have noticed so far.....

When stream which increases aggro is on and the mob aggros, i no longer continue to do dmg when the mob gets to close.  THIS SUX considering i am rooted and stifled.

All the arrows are level one so i went from auto attack hit between 700 - 1000 to now hitting for 30- 70

Finally, i no longer proc off my weapons.

Look, i agree that maybe we were a bit over powered, but these changes are a bit much!!!  Why wouldnt SOE just decrease the dmg some spells do rather than make a key spell suck and more dangerous for us to use, make arrows that COST US A TON useless in auto attack, and remove a heavy portion of some of our procs!!!  Again i dont mind a decrease in dps, just dont make the class suck to play, for those who have been used to the way it was!

PS These remarks come after getting OWNED in a group, by mobs i could once solo!!!!

lamad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 05:27 PM   #32
Anas

oh well what's done is done :smileysad:

i too chose to be a ranger for the class not the "I'm=top-of-DPS-parse-AGAIN!" groups.

but as was said above ... we all adapt ...  (and hopefully all the wanna-be dps-loving rangers will drop the class now so only the true rangers remain hehehe )

* carves out a wooden wedge and places it at the bottom of the door *

* Joins the rest of her ranger brethren ... makes a toast .... *

* looks down at her Survival pak and pulls out a Thorny Trap , (lets hope you're not next...) *

Anas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 08:43 PM   #33
Saihung23

Loremaster

WOW!  DOOM AND GLOOM!

So, let me get this straight....our short time atop the DPS chart and you folks are ready to scream shennanigans when we get a few things about our character changed?   Is all of this coming from the wizards who gave up their top of the DPS chart finger waggler to become a arrow flinger?  Or is this coming from the I just parsed my DPS and now it is less on average than it was before people?

If you want to be a ranger be one...you still have your bow, you still have your arrows...I bet King Leoric is soloing roost right now as I write this (heck...he'll probable throw up a post bragging about it later hehe j/k Leoric). 

If you never expected to be tuned up or tuned down after our run at the top of the DPS then you were deluding yourself somewhat. 

If you are a ranger, and wanted to be a ranger before you figured out who was top DPS (still Rangers btw) then this change will be just another among the many trials and tribulations you went through to get here.  We are still kings of our domain (and some queens too hehe).  We need to evaluate the changes not cry about them...we need to discuss the changes not argue about them...we need to be what we have always been.  Rangers.  Evaluating our enemies from the safety of shadow and attacking in an intelligent manner.

This isnt the last change to be made in this game...and it isnt the last one for us.  I am sure there are many nerfs and fixes in our future...at the end of it all though...I am still a Ranger at heart.  And they cant defeat me because of that (and my 50% avoidance).

I hope you folks know, I am not flaming you...I just thought we were more than the damage numbers we put out. 

Sincerely,

Peace Health and Happiness

Saihung Talechaser

50th Ranked Ranger

42nd Ranked Carpenter

Old 02-06-2006, 08:45 PM   #34
Teksun

Loremaster

I kinda wish they'd nerf us all the way back to release...

Nerf the Hobbits
Teksun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 09:09 PM   #35
Niuan

Loremaster

I don't even know where to begin with this...  But here goes!

If Ranger Pride means welcoming all nerfs with open arms.

If Ranger Pride means showing fellow rangers the door when they are in the middle of a healthy vent.

I think you all are in denial... You really hate your class SMILEY  IMO Should not be Pride... Perhads Sadism is a better word.

Niuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 10:37 PM   #36
Zholain

Loremaster

Niuan wrote:
I don't even know where to begin with this...  But here goes!

If Ranger Pride means welcoming all nerfs with open arms.

If Ranger Pride means showing fellow rangers the door when they are in the middle of a healthy vent.

I think you all are in denial... You really hate your class SMILEY  IMO Should not be Pride... Perhads Sadism is a better word.

If you want some constructive advice on how to continue to accomplish the same things you were before LU19, then have a seat.  There are dozens of rangers in here who will be glad to have that conversation with you.If you want to complain because you can no longer sit on your hands while Stream of Arrows demolishes the mob, well, that door is still open.   I was here long before you got here, and I'll be here long after you leave.We didn't get to where we were post-LU13 by ranting like a bunch of lunatics.  And despite your opinion, even post-LU19, we are still very capable.No, I don't like most of the changes.  But they aren't going to keep me from playing the game and having fun.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:39 PM   #37
Saihung23

Loremaster

Niuan wrote:
I don't even know where to begin with this...  But here goes! Next time begin with the back button, then you wouldnt post trash like this.

If Ranger Pride means welcoming all nerfs with open arms.   Way to over simplify a philosophy of dont cry or whine but try to rationally work out solutions.  Who likes reading someone posting how Rangers are suffering a slow death and the hands of SOE devs...what is the solution posed in that post?  I come here to the ranger forums to talk about ranger issues and help younger rangers.  Newcomers to the Ranger forums should see that this is a refuge from the bickering and SOE is the devil posts....instead now they are greeted by Dark Day SMILEY.  Should I be cheering the fact that a ranger feels he cant play his character?  No, instead if that rangers is looking for help on how to overcome obstacles...then I will help wholeheartedly.

If Ranger Pride means showing fellow rangers the door when they are in the middle of a healthy vent.   Believe me, If I could show the door to some people I would.  Without hesitation and without remorse.  Because some folks just never see the glass as half full....and if a health vent makes other people uncomfortable...is it our fault that we are uncomfortable.  What good will come of the Devs thinking of our class as the children that other class forums harbor?  Nothing good will come of it.  If having Ranger Pride means that I should stand up and whine like a pathetic [expletive haxx0red by Raijinn] then yes...I will not whine and I will not be proud of being among the pathetic [expletive haxx0red by Raijinn]es that rangers will have become.

Denial is the thought that telling me and other rangers that we hate your class SMILEY deserves a smiley is an appropriate response to objections raised.  And it is to you that I direct my equally inappropriate response of calling you out.   Way to try to puff smoke up everyones arsehole.

Call me a [expletive haxx0red by Raijinn] sadist for trying to have some quality in here...something better than the other forums...Bah! I say!
Old 02-06-2006, 10:43 PM   #38
Vimy

Loremaster

Teksun wrote:I kinda wish they'd nerf us all the way back to release...

Dude!  Not funny!  Ok, maybe a little.   :smileyvery-happy:The only summon arrow spell was at 20?   Couldn't out DPS most tanks..   if you went right to the start I guess we would still have our avoidance, but no offensive stance?  Yuk!   And no poisons?!  If I remember right, the crafted ones were worse than store bought, and had the same number of procs....But I'd still play.   :smileywink:
edit:   I'm gonna stick to replying to fun/funy posts.   It keeps me in a better mood.  :smileywink:

Message Edited by Vimy on 02-06-200609:52 AM

I am Scissors, Paper is fine, Nerf rock
Vimy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 10:52 PM   #39
Niuan

Loremaster

Call me a [expletive haxx0red by Raijinn] sadist for trying to have some quality in here...something better than the other forums...Bah! I say!
What is a quality post?  One that agrees with your opinion?
Old 02-06-2006, 10:57 PM   #40
Niuan

Loremaster

Zholain wrote:

If you want some constructive advice on how to continue to accomplish the same things you were before LU19, then have a seat.  There are dozens of rangers in here who will be glad to have that conversation with you.If you want to complain because you can no longer sit on your hands while Stream of Arrows demolishes the mob, well, that door is still open.   I was here long before you got here, and I'll be here long after you leave.We didn't get to where we were post-LU13 by ranting like a bunch of lunatics.  And despite your opinion, even post-LU19, we are still very capable.No, I don't like most of the changes.  But they aren't going to keep me from playing the game and having fun.

It seems I touched a nerve SMILEY  To silence someone because they don't share the popular opinion if far worse than any ranting that has occured recently on these boards.  They are expressing feelings in a way they know how.  It is far easier to show someone the door than it is to discuss your difference in opinions.  This is exactly what my original post was about.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:03 PM   #41
Zholain

Loremaster

You have struck no nerve, sir.  However, the majority of this post is not expressing an opinion.  Nor is it offering anything constructive.  The title itelf indicates that it will be nothing but a rant.  And it seems that I am in the majority here.  No one want to read a load of garbage on our forums.  You obviously know how to read, but you apparently haven't learned how to comprehend.  In my post, I clearly said that I, or any ranger here, will be glad to discuss ways to overcome the recent changes.  But instead you seem to prefer to rant.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:19 PM   #42
Niuan

Loremaster

Zholain wrote:You have struck no nerve, sir.  However, the majority of this post is not expressing an opinion.  Nor is it offering anything constructive.  The title itelf indicates that it will be nothing but a rant.  And it seems that I am in the majority here.  No one want to read a load of garbage on our forums.  You obviously know how to read, but you apparently haven't learned how to comprehend.  In my post, I clearly said that I, or any ranger here, will be glad to discuss ways to overcome the recent changes.  But instead you seem to prefer to rant.

I feel you probably mean well, but sometimes people don't post to be constructive.   I feel as the main poster does that the class was nerfed.  I do not share the original posters opinion that the game is over for me, however I see his post for what it is.  He is venting, as are the majority of negative posts.  To argue with them, to "show them the door" is a personal attack on them for not sharing your opinion, or popular opinion.  Let people vent it is human.

Old 02-07-2006, 01:22 AM   #43
Fennir

Loremaster

If you think we don't complain about things that are worth complaining about, you obviously only see what you want to see here.My biggest gripe right now is that rangers get no viable reward from the peacock line in line with the other classes, and that procs are messed up across the board since the melee proc change.  I have posted in threads regarding both of these issues.Just because we're not crying about what you're crying about doesn't mean we welcome nerfs with open arms.  Childish argument, seriously.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:39 AM   #44
Niuan

Loremaster

Fennir wrote:If you think we don't complain about things that are worth complaining about, you obviously only see what you want to see here.Just because we're not crying about what you're crying about doesn't mean we welcome nerfs with open arms.  Childish argument, seriously.

I was stating an observation made after many many days digging.  Anyone who was unhappy because of LU 19 was graciously "shown the door" by several avid posters in this forumn for the sake of Ranger Pride.  One could make an educated guess that we must welcome nerfs without negative feedback to sidestep the dreaded "Virtual Door" :smileyvery-happy:
Old 02-07-2006, 01:39 AM   #45
Gareorn

Loremaster

My biggest gripe is that my bow graphic won't stay up.  I'm a Ranger!  Why can't I get a bow graphic that doesn't drop everytime I zone or use my melee weapons?

Okay, so I'm only semi-serious.  But since reading the forums this afternoon and seeing all the complaints, I thought I'd get mine in too.:smileytongue:
Old 02-07-2006, 02:12 AM   #46
Grign

Where I come from, a [Removed for Content] is a [Removed for Content] no matter how much sugar you coat it with.  We were nerfed, no matter how you want to spin it.  The true question lies in each of us, are we going to react or act?  The "React" 'ers are the ones whining and running around saying the sky is falling.  The "Act" 'ers are the ones counseling to stay the course and adapt and overcome.  I do think the attitude here on the boards, while positive and encouraging for the most part, tends to remind me of a Far Side cartoon titled "Home on the Range" where the cowboys are all around the campfire and one yells to his companions "Hey everyone!  Ned just said a discouraging word!"  In the sense that, while we want to discourage the whiners and naysayers, sometimes it comes across that if you don't agree or aren't full of cheeriness, don't post.  Now I know that is probably not the intended result, but I seem to remember an expression referring to the road to Hell being paved with good intentions...  So just be mindful, that while we should never tolerate brash behavior and blatant crying, we should tolerate open discussion of people expressing feelings of frustration in a sensible manner that are working through their pain and seeking the help of others to do so.

As to the nature of the nerfs, well weapons procing off of bowshots was never intended to be the case and so taking it away doesn't seem like an unreasonable thing.  As for the stream nerf, yes, it was a mega kick [expletive haxx0red by Raijinn] spell, for dungeons especially, but overpowered somewhat.  I would have rather seen them lower the dps on the CA and keep the point blank attack aspect of it versus what they actually did.  Rangers in D&D got an ability to be able to use ranged weapons at point blank range with no penalty, so to say that it shouldn't be possible is unfounded (just watch ol Legolas in Lord of the Rings $$).  That being said, it is what it is, and we as a community can either throw our suckers in the dirt and stomp off, or we can figure out how to re-beat the system with what we have now.  I have cleared Roost and Cache solo several times since the patch, it took a bit to figure out how to work it out (and about 15 terribly painful deaths...), but once I did, it's cake.  As long as you have stun poison, stream works great, just need to place a greater distance between mob and trap for the pull.  Triple arrow mobs, while still soloable, require a bit of strategy now.  If anything, nerfing stream has made the ranger community wake up and start to actually play again.  I mean come on, how hard was it to turn on stream and grab your drink and take a few sips while the mob was dying... Boring lol.  Now I have to pay attention or I die alot more.  As time goes on, hopefully the barrage of new ranger recruits will re-roll toons elsewhere so they can have the next uber class.

My last comment relates more to my frustration with SOE in general.  Here we are, 2 years into a game and they are still making changes that are drastically affecting game and class play.  And this isn't just ranger related, it applies to everyone.  In Everquest 1, they got so into "balancing the classes" that when it was all said and done, they had removed what made the game so cool when it first came out, the uniqueness of each class.  Part of why I liked EQ2 over WoW was its complexity, but with each patch it is becoming more and more like WoW (dumbed down).  I just hope that EQ2 will leave it's beta testing period soon and actually become a game where the Everquest name doesn't stand for the eternal quest to find out what they did to your toon this week and how they are going to be changing it during the weeks to come lol...

Safe Journeys to all of you.  Don't allow yourself to be a victim.  The rules have changed a bit, so what?  Adapt, overcome, and prosper.  It's the ranger way!

Helspawn, Ranger 60 Oggok

Grign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 08:24 AM   #47
TaleraRis

Loremaster

Niuan wrote:

Fennir wrote:If you think we don't complain about things that are worth complaining about, you obviously only see what you want to see here.Just because we're not crying about what you're crying about doesn't mean we welcome nerfs with open arms.  Childish argument, seriously.

I was stating an observation made after many many days digging.  Anyone who was unhappy because of LU 19 was graciously "shown the door" by several avid posters in this forumn for the sake of Ranger Pride.  One could make an educated guess that we must welcome nerfs without negative feedback to sidestep the dreaded "Virtual Door" :smileyvery-happy:
Believe me, I've seen plenty of not-happy posts about LU19 and they haven't been shown the door. Why? Because they aren't posting like whining [expletive haxx0red by Raijinn]s, that's why.
Najena

Morgasand Ka'Bael
54 Roswellian Mind Scrambler
87 Shield Polisher
Najena
TaleraRis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 12:04 PM   #48
Althkael

I, for one, am happy about LU-19, and here's why:1.) Arrows go straight to my quiver.2.) I can mentor without wasting everyone's time rearranging my hotbars.3.) There are sweet new racial quests upon entering your city.4.) The newbie zones of the cities now have history and depth.5.) The ranger community, I hope, will return to the way it was when it convinced me to play this game.My ranger, who is also my main, is still in his thirties even though I've had my account for a couple of months now.  I have never experienced SoA nor have I ever had anything beyond poisons that would proc from my bow.  I can solo very few heroic mobs in zones appropriate to my level at best.  I would rather spend my time chatting on the ranger channel or stalking a mob halfway through Antonica than power-leveling or farming Androus in SH; I get my xp through quests and refuse to "grind", and because of this I am rather happy about this update.  Also, I should now hear less arrow-envy from other classes and less bragging from the sunshine-patriot rangers we are now associated with.I wish I hadn't remained lurking for so long on these boards and that I built my new computer sooner so that I wouldn't have made my beloved ranger when it was the fashionable, flavor-of-the-month thing to do.  Oh well... I guess I'll just try to explore as much of Lavastorm as I can even though I have no business being there.  After that I'll go try my still-new triple-arrow CA which I'll think of as uber.  I'm not going to worry about how much damage I do every second.  I'll just keep playing my pre-end-game.  And I'm going to have a blast.

Message Edited by Althkaelis on 02-07-200602:04 AM

Althkael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 12:49 PM   #49
Zholain

Loremaster

Althkaelis wrote:I, for one, am happy about LU-19, and here's why:1.) Arrows go straight to my quiver.2.) I can mentor without wasting everyone's time rearranging my hotbars.3.) There are sweet new racial quests upon entering your city.4.) The newbie zones of the cities now have history and depth.5.) The ranger community, I hope, will return to the way it was when it convinced me to play this game.My ranger, who is also my main, is still in his thirties even though I've had my account for a couple of months now.  I have never experienced SoA nor have I ever had anything beyond poisons that would proc from my bow.  I can solo very few heroic mobs in zones appropriate to my level at best.  I would rather spend my time chatting on the ranger channel or stalking a mob halfway through Antonica than power-leveling or farming Androus in SH; I get my xp through quests and refuse to "grind", and because of this I am rather happy about this update.  Also, I should now hear less arrow-envy from other classes and less bragging from the sunshine-patriot rangers we are now associated with.I wish I hadn't remained lurking for so long on these boards and that I built my new computer sooner so that I wouldn't have made my beloved ranger when it was the fashionable, flavor-of-the-month thing to do.  Oh well... I guess I'll just try to explore as much of Lavastorm as I can even though I have no business being there.  After that I'll go try my still-new triple-arrow CA which I'll think of as uber.  I'm not going to worry about how much damage I do every second.  I'll just keep playing my pre-end-game.  And I'm going to have a blast.

This person understands.  I applaud you.It seems as if this 'virtual door' I have created has ruffled some feathers.  If that statement bothers you, then perhaps you should rethink the reasons you rolled a ranger in the first place.  The ill words I've seen on these boards in the past week are more than I've seen in a year and a half.  And for an entire year of that, the ranger class was truly in a sad state of affairs.  Even though there were no dps tiers then, in today's Norrath we would have been somewhere around tier 3.  And in all that time, I never saw the likes of what I'm seeing now.  The ranger is a great class.  But not because of the damage we can do.  It is because of the way it is played.  Those who understand this, like the gentleman I quoted and the many other rangers who I have talked with on these boards for a very long time (Kaeros, Demlar, Saihung, Gwyneth, Jarl, Tobias, Gareorn, and a host of others), have shown the fortitude and the pure love of the class that I am pretty sure they will be sticking around for a while.I apologize if my statement offended anyone.  However, the meaning of the post stands.  If you are unwilling and/or unable to tolerate the changes that SOE has, and will continue to make to the ranger, then perhaps this is not the class for you.I have always tried to be kindest, most helpful person I know how to be to my fellow rangers.  But I will not waste that kindness on those who would just spit it back in my face.

Message Edited by Zholain on 02-07-200602:49 AM

Message Edited by Zholain on 02-07-200602:52 AM

Old 02-07-2006, 01:11 PM   #50
SmEaGoLLuM

General

You may be kind Zholain, but I am a straight up guy. Every post of Niuan's in this thread has been nothing but full of [Removed for Content]. Do what you have done in the past and just ignore the d1ckhead.
SmEaGoLLuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 01:49 PM   #51
Zholain

Loremaster

ROFLMAO     Thanks Gollum  SMILEY
Old 02-07-2006, 01:54 PM   #52
Te

General

I'll give my point of wiev to the changes even if they not considered to be the only rightfull ones.

I dont mind the changes that melee weapons wont proc from bow at all.

Some fixes would be nice though.

Some more fabled bow drops pls. Not increasing propper bow drops so people get to stay with a lower tier rare rare fabled bow or a player made is silly. Raiding 7 days a week and not a single bow drop in whole dof is crap both for rangers in my guild and the assassins.

Another thing I think they need to make sure is that like leoric said, armor should proc dont see any point to why not.

For you that cry that rangers suck now, I can tell you one thing. It was either this change or they would probl have changed the whole proc equation on bow all over.

Regarding solo, yes it will be harder but still not impossible. Just not as dumbifying as it has been so far.

*Friends are forever, diamonds are sold*
Te is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 02:37 PM   #53
GoNom

OkaY Played for 3 hours today, got 6 invites for Groups in PoF Roost, tables....meanwhile LFG wasn't on, I wanted a day to get used to the changes.

Yes SoA is nerfed, only for solo use.  We all knew that this was going to come, it was way over powered for soloing, and was not working as intended, but it is still a great damage dealer in groups.

Procs: We knew this was coming too, since sony has been talling about it for weeks.

That leaves me with the Strength Rings, this was absurd and caught everyone off guard.  I plan /feedbacking everyday from my Jeweler and my Ranger to try and drive the point home that this did not do anyone a bit of good.

So I started my night out slow, banged out some writs in SS.  Was nice to actually have to fight a mob again, as apposed to just Stream burning it down quick.  No Ill-effects so far.

Decided to do some kiting, Started slow with some blue ^^^ Raptors near the Snadcrawlers.  No Ill effects noticed.  So the only thing that has really changed, is that Stream is now working how they truly wanted it to.  To be a massive in group damage skill while we wait for our CA's to refesh.

I am still certain that I can own most in DPS....whats the big deal here? 

Luadiane
55 Ranger of Crushbone
Member and Patron of Paragon

Ravenheart
39 Jeweler of Crushbone
The Siphon through which Luadiane's plat falls through
GoNom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 03:02 PM   #54
GoNom

Niuan wrote:

Example A:Ranger enters board after LU19 and states that the end of the world is on him and that there is no hope in sight,.......bahhhhh   My stream is gone!!!!!!   The Devs hate us......the hate us....LETS REVOLT!!!   Off with their heads!!!!!!!

Example B: Man this bites, hows everyone getting by soloing without Stream.   I think its tougher but we can still kite pretty well, what would be nice though is ________    Fill in blank with a contructive thought that a dev can use.

Doesn't have to agree with anyone, heck we can debate it on its merits........but you effectively, perhaps worded differently, accomplished  Example A.

Which of the 2 show promise of the Devs taking notice?  LU13 proves they do listen to player feedback.  If you want to vent, punch a pillow, it would actually accomplish alot more the another Ranger initiated Dev Flame session.

Luadiane
55 Ranger of Crushbone
Member and Patron of Paragon

Ravenheart
39 Jeweler of Crushbone
The Siphon through which Luadiane's plat falls through
GoNom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 07:07 PM   #55
Niuan

Loremaster

Several posts since my last visit catch my eye :smileywink:

One person   G-o-l-l-u-m   < clears throat> Feels that he can win arguments or prove points by using BIG BOY WORDS.   How mature!

Other Folks feel that thier advice, or information shared is so valuable that you can either use his/her advice or reroll  Z-h-o-l-a-i-n  < clears throat>  How arrogant is that??

Sony Forumns are for ideas and feelings to be shared reguardless of how valuable a few self made forumn gods think of thier intelect and/or the quality of thier posts.  Some of you folks honestly need a reality check and realise you are not the editor or controller of Sony Forumns.

I call it like I see it SMILEY

Old 02-07-2006, 07:45 PM   #56
Niuan

Loremaster

GoNomar wrote:

Niuan wrote:

Example A:Ranger enters board after LU19 and states that the end of the world is on him and that there is no hope in sight,.......bahhhhh   My stream is gone!!!!!!   The Devs hate us......the hate us....LETS REVOLT!!!   Off with their heads!!!!!!!

Example B: Man this bites, hows everyone getting by soloing without Stream.   I think its tougher but we can still kite pretty well, what would be nice though is ________    Fill in blank with a contructive thought that a dev can use.

Doesn't have to agree with anyone, heck we can debate it on its merits........but you effectively, perhaps worded differently, accomplished  Example A.

Which of the 2 show promise of the Devs taking notice?  LU13 proves they do listen to player feedback.  If you want to vent, punch a pillow, it would actually accomplish alot more the another Ranger initiated Dev Flame session.

If I was a college science teacher I would expect example B on my homework and tests.  On a video game that does not require an education to play.... either one will suffice.  If the issue raises the attention of enough players either of the A or B category the Devs will look at it.  The assumption that devs only look at college quality posts I don't believe to be true.

Just because someone does not know how to hold a conversation well, or prove a point well does not mean thier input was not valuable to a dev standpoint. It gives them an idea of the scope of the problem, I.E. how many people are effected.  Also gives the devs a ballpark figure on how this problem is effecting that individuals personal game enjoyment.

no matter how crude or raw someones post is, it does offer some benifit to a dev.  If I was running beta software or an application/game tester I would expect feedback in example B style of feedback.  Since the game has gone live and sony cannot filter who plays it, it is reasonable that they can expect both forms of feedback.

Message Edited by Niuan on 02-07-200606:47 AM

Message Edited by Niuan on 02-07-200607:19 AM

Old 02-07-2006, 09:47 PM   #57
KnightOfTheWo

General

Althkaelis wrote:
I, for one, am happy about LU-19, and here's why:1.) Arrows go straight to my quiver.2.) I can mentor without wasting everyone's time rearranging my hotbars.3.) There are sweet new racial quests upon entering your city.4.) The newbie zones of the cities now have history and depth.5.) The ranger community, I hope, will return to the way it was when it convinced me to play this game.My ranger, who is also my main, is still in his thirties even though I've had my account for a couple of months now.  I have never experienced SoA nor have I ever had anything beyond poisons that would proc from my bow.  I can solo very few heroic mobs in zones appropriate to my level at best.  I would rather spend my time chatting on the ranger channel or stalking a mob halfway through Antonica than power-leveling or farming Androus in SH; I get my xp through quests and refuse to "grind", and because of this I am rather happy about this update.  Also, I should now hear less arrow-envy from other classes and less bragging from the sunshine-patriot rangers we are now associated with.I wish I hadn't remained lurking for so long on these boards and that I built my new computer sooner so that I wouldn't have made my beloved ranger when it was the fashionable, flavor-of-the-month thing to do.  Oh well... I guess I'll just try to explore as much of Lavastorm as I can even though I have no business being there.  After that I'll go try my still-new triple-arrow CA which I'll think of as uber.  I'm not going to worry about how much damage I do every second.  I'll just keep playing my pre-end-game.  And I'm going to have a blast.

Well spoken sir. Which is why I'm quoting his entire post again here.To put the same thing another way, how you choose to approach playing this class will determine not only your reaction, but ultimately your decision to remain a Ranger, or to go elsewhere after a Live Update or some other change to the game.One approach is all about playing a Ranger.The other approach is all about game mechanics.Both approaches have their merits, but Cat and others have observed that they play with the emphasis on the former. Not that the latter doesn't affect playing a Ranger, but if it's the foundation of how and why you play, then your reaction will be quite different after an update. Your whole game will shut down because you can't see past numbers to look at the intangibles.I like to play my Ranger. Like the quoted poster, I don't measure DPS as the sole measure of whether the class is fun to play or not. I've seen Rangers in other games and how they are being defined here is not only fun but has never been done before.DPS tier arguments aside, some of us believe in more than just the numbers for our class. You don't have to agree with us but we ask that you respect our right to approach the Ranger class as we will. Even if you don't, we'll continue to play as Rangers and not numberbots.Whether there are board trolls in our forums or not.

Old 02-07-2006, 10:07 PM   #58
Niuan

Loremaster

Well spoken sir. Which is why I'm quoting his entire post again here.To put the same thing another way, how you choose to approach playing this class will determine not only your reaction, but ultimately your decision to remain a Ranger, or to go elsewhere after a Live Update or some other change to the game.One approach is all about playing a Ranger.The other approach is all about game mechanics.Both approaches have their merits, but Cat and others have observed that they play with the emphasis on the former. Not that the latter doesn't affect playing a Ranger, but if it's the foundation of how and why you play, then your reaction will be quite different after an update. Your whole game will shut down because you can't see past numbers to look at the intangibles.I like to play my Ranger. Like the quoted poster, I don't measure DPS as the sole measure of whether the class is fun to play or not. I've seen Rangers in other games and how they are being defined here is not only fun but has never been done before.DPS tier arguments aside, some of us believe in more than just the numbers for our class. You don't have to agree with us but we ask that you respect our right to approach the Ranger class as we will. Even if you don't, we'll continue to play as Rangers and not numberbots.Whether there are board trolls in our forums or not.

Very nice post.  NIcely spoken.  I too really enjoy playing my ranger for the fun aspect of it.   On the other hand I can see how EQ can attract the "action" type of players that will use thier ranger to farm and PL because of the rewards for doing such things.  I don't think one style of play is right or wrong, but rather an opinion of play style.  This update effected the "action" type players more than the "enjoyment" types and I sympathise with thier cause.

Old 02-07-2006, 10:18 PM   #59
Xenon Crimson

Loremaster

Dark day indeed.... if you have your eyes closed. 

I love my toon and have enjoyed playing the class for the last 11 months.  Even before stream was changed I could drop mobs quicker and more effectively using my other combat arts.

Some view every change to this class as a nerf... others accept the change and move on still enjoying the class and excelling at the role.

If your that obsessed with numbers... go play with a calculator SMILEY

Xenon Crimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 12:05 AM   #60
Moonkl

I have never posted to one of these forums before - but the general flow of many of the notes worries me - since they are so contrary to what I see as the ethos of a ranger.

I have been a ranger for over a year now - started as a ranger - and my main is still (and will continue to be) a ranger.

I play solo a lot and found that the mix of abilities in a ranger allowed me to do that (albeit making it challenging at times) as well as be a useful addition to any group. 

In many ways I have always played the game with midset of being the solo - wandering arrow slinger - who is always ready and willing to help when the need arises.

I have gotten used to the changes in the game - such as just getting good at kiting just as some of that ability was changed and as has been discussed a lot in this stream - I view each change as a new challenge to see how I can hone my new skills to be as effective as I can be - and remaster my class.

SOE has made some great changes to the ranger class - and many of the abilities which folks bemoan the loss of - are - to be honest - logical - like it or not.

It makes no sense that a melee weapon should proc off a bow - just as it makes no sense that I can fire arrows at point blank range into the face of a mob who is hitting me with a sword - that just would not be able to happen in real life folks.

Interesting thing is that I was never even aware of just how amazing our DPS could be till I was level 60 and raiding and then seeing parser info....  Guess I was too busy just enjoying the game up until then. 

We remain the closest that there is to a ninja class in the game - with ability to stealth, use poisons, strike fast and hard, lay traps, and vanish just as fast if we need to

Playing a ranger in EQ2 is about strategy, learning your craft and picking your moment to attack - and thats what makes it most satisfying.

Moonkl is offline   Reply With Quote