EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

 

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Scout's Den > Ranger
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2005, 03:11 AM   #1
Shadow-X

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 15
Default

Though the macro system in EQ2 is much more restrictive than the one in SWG (and, many would say, a bit more restrictive than the one in EQ1), I’ve found that it can still be used to make you a more effective player (and to save you a few clicks or keystrokes here and there).

I hope that we can use this thread to post macros that will be useful to our fellow Rangers.  I have a few, but since I’m only level 22 I know I’ve barely scratched the surface; I’m hoping that you higher level folks out there will post a few of your own.

Here are mine:

Retreat:

/yell

/useability Survival Instincts

/say “Help!”

I use this macro when I’m going to “cut and run.”  It breaks the encounter and buffs my defense and parry skills before indicating (in nearby, global chat) that I need some assistance.  (“And brave Sir Robin bravely ran away.”)

 

Cheap Shot:

/autoattack 0

/useability Cheap Shot

I use this macro to set up Cheap Shot (the low-level Predator stun attack).  It turns off autoattack (so that an autoattack does not break the stun) and then activates Cheap Shot.

 

Stealth Strike:

/useability Shrouded Strike

/useability Shadowflame

I use this macro to hit with Shrouded Strike (a flanking attack that puts you in stealth mode on some successful hits) and follow it up immediately with a stealth-based attack (here, Shadowflame because it does fairly good damage and does not require me to be behind my target – usually getting hit with Shrouded Strike causes my target to turn to face me.  I lead off with the Cheap Shot macro then jump behind the target while its stunned; then I hit the Stealth Strike macro.  It does not work as often as the Stealth Strike 2 macro because the target often turns and strikes me immediately after it gets hit with Shrouded Strike, thereby breaking Shroud.

 

Stealth Strike 2:

/useability Stalk

/useability Shadowflame

I use this macro to go into stealth mode and follow up with Shadowflame (Shadowflame does not require you be be behind your target, only that you are in stealth mode).  I find that this macro works nearly every time, if I hit the Cheap Shot macro first and immediately hit Stealth Strike 2.

 

Solo HO:

/useability Lucky Break

/useability Dirty Tricks

/useability Pierce

I use this macro to set off an heroic opportunity when I’m fighting solo.  Note that you can only get three combat arts to fire in a macro if one of them is your heroic opportunity starter.

 

Makeshift Arrows - Pathfinding:

/useability Makeshift Arrows

/useability Pathfinding

This macro is great for building up the arrow supply.  I use it every time that Pathfinding drops.  It's great for people (like me) who forget to look to see if Makeshift Arrows has re-charged but who always notice when Pathfinding drops (running too slowly drives me crazy).

Message Edited by Shadow-X on 03-20-2005 05:12 PM

Message Edited by Shadow-X on 03-20-2005 06:17 PM

Message Edited by Shadow-X on 03-20-2005 07:11 PM

Message Edited by Shadow-X on 03-20-2005 07:12 PM

Message Edited by Shadow-X on 03-22-2005 09:49 AM

Shadow-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 03:23 AM   #2
BuddhaM

 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 37
Default

Good start Shadow-X, ***** for the effort and initiative. SMILEY I too have been trying to use some macros; in my previous life I was a monk in FFXI (Novalis on Diabolos, if anyone knew me) and that system was pretty good for macros. five slots I believe, and all the abilities you could ask for.  This is a great start, and while I am at work right now, I don't have any to add, but I will get back to ya later. I hope to see this start a nive thread with some good info for the general community. Cheers
__________________
Novalithen
level 28 Ranger
level 24 Provisioner
Leader, Legion of Honor
Steamfont Server
BuddhaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 01:40 PM   #3
GoNom

 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 189
Default



Shadow-X wrote:

Solo HO:

/useability Lucky Break

/useability Dirty Tricks

/useability Pierce

I use this macro to set off an heroic opportunity when I’m fighting solo.  Note that you can only get three combat arts to fire in a macro if one of them is your heroic opportunity starter.

 


Only thing I don't like about it is you can't shift the HO wheel with evade, to try and bring up Ringing blow instead of the 4th Swindler's luck in a row.

/useability Lucky Break

/useability Dirty Tricks

Is my Solo HO macro.  That way when SG comes up I can try to bounce it.

__________________
......Remember, that in the end, Everything we do, just becomes everything we've done......

Luadiane
55 Ranger of Crushbone
Member and Patron of Paragon

Ravenheart
39 Jeweler of Crushbone
The Siphon through which Luadiane's plat falls through
GoNom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 08:23 PM   #4
Dashofpepp

 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 84
Default

Ohh...I haven't even really ever thought about using macros in combat.  I just have 4 hotbars up with all my skills on them.  SMILEY  Great idea!  It might help cut down on how many places I need to click during combat.

Retribution - Befallen

Dashofpepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 08:40 PM   #5
Shadow-X

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 15
Default



GoNomar wrote:


Shadow-X wrote:

Solo HO:

/useability Lucky Break

/useability Dirty Tricks

/useability Pierce

I use this macro to set off an heroic opportunity when I’m fighting solo.  Note that you can only get three combat arts to fire in a macro if one of them is your heroic opportunity starter.

 


Only thing I don't like about it is you can't shift the HO wheel with evade, to try and bring up Ringing blow instead of the 4th Swindler's luck in a row.

/useability Lucky Break

/useability Dirty Tricks

Is my Solo HO macro.  That way when SG comes up I can try to bounce it.



That's a great point about the HOs.  (I usually use the Solo HO macro for my first HO and manually hit others later in the battle.)
Shadow-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 05:14 AM   #6
Shadow-X

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 15
Default

Here are some other posts and online resources that may help when creating macros:

A good post on slash commands:

http://eqiiforums.station.sony.com/eq2/board/message?board.id=Newbie&message.id=18007

Okooo’s Macro & Slash Commands Guide: 

http://eq2.tentonhammer.com/index.php?module=ContentExpress&file=index&func=display&ceid=89&meid=81

GameGuidesOnline's Command List (without explanations): 

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm?etView=resources&loadContent=6&gameId=2&fp=1280,800,2150323078

Shadow-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 05:47 AM   #7
BuddhaM

 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 37
Default

Sweet links. Now they only have to extend the number of lines you can add per macro.....
__________________
Novalithen
level 28 Ranger
level 24 Provisioner
Leader, Legion of Honor
Steamfont Server
BuddhaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 07:51 PM   #8
Shadow-X

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 15
Default

I've added a new macro I just put together last night, Stealth Attack 2.  It is successful nearly everytime as long as I use the Cheap Shot macro first.

Message Edited by Shadow-X on 03-23-2005 03:44 PM

Shadow-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 10:25 PM   #9
Shadow-X

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 15
Default

I'm trying to consolidate some general macro information into a single post in the Abilities forum.  If you're interested, you can find it here:  http://eqiiforums.station.sony.com/eq2/board/message?board.id=spellart&message.id=37022
Shadow-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 12:45 AM   #10
kyshander

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 51
Default

Great stuff! Thanks.
__________________
Kyshander Wicked
30 Ranger
22 Woodworker
Crystal Entity
Steamfont
kyshander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 01:43 AM   #11
Shadow-X

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 15
Default

Some of the replies to this thread got separated into a second thread.  It's got a great modification to my Stealth Strike 2 macro so I want to make sure people can find it.  It's here:  http://eqiiforums.station.sony.com/eq2/board/message?board.id=39&message.id=6467.

Shadow-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 03:43 AM   #12
Sotaudi

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 271
Default



GoNomar wrote:


Shadow-X wrote:

Solo HO:

/useability Lucky Break

/useability Dirty Tricks

/useability Pierce

I use this macro to set off an heroic opportunity when I’m fighting solo.  Note that you can only get three combat arts to fire in a macro if one of them is your heroic opportunity starter.

 


Only thing I don't like about it is you can't shift the HO wheel with evade, to try and bring up Ringing blow instead of the 4th Swindler's luck in a row.

/useability Lucky Break

/useability Dirty Tricks

Is my Solo HO macro.  That way when SG comes up I can try to bounce it.




More important than the fact that you cannot shift the HO, it is, in my opinion, a bad idea to try to complete HOs with the same macro that starts them.  The HO starter chain completer (Dirty Tricks in the case above) could be resisted, could miss, or could be interrupted.  This will not stop the macro from continuing.  It will go ahead and use the HO completer skill (Pierce in the first macro).  So the following could easily happen.

You hit the macro, Lucky Break fires off, the HO starter chain comes up. Dirty Tricks queues, but it is resisted, failing to complete the starter chain.  Pierce fires off, but it just hits normally.  That is, no HO is completed.  It takes a moment for you to notice the starter chain wheel is still up.  So you hit Evade.  Evade completes, advancing the starter chain.  Quick Strike is the only available skill to complete the chain, so you fire it, and it misses, failing to complete the HO.  Now you have to wait for another skill to recharge before you can complete the HO, but so much time has elapsed by now, the HO timer expires before one does.

Had your macro been just Lucky Break and Dirty Tricks, you could have hit the macro, and determined that Dirty Tricks did not comlpete the starter chain.  Hit Evade, then hit Pierce.  This would have completed the HO in the above situation since Pierce and Evade fired okay.  And assuming Pierce does miss, in the above example Quick Strike would be available to try to complete the HO.  As it was, you ran out of skills and could not compete the HO because you "wasted" Pierce because the HO was not ready for it.

 

__________________
Sotaudi - Wood Elf - Ranger
Quaroon - Erudite - Illusionist
Siegur - Kerra - Monk
Breven - Froglok - Fury
Voxin - Ratonga - Assassin
Sotaudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 04:04 AM   #13
timb

 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1
Default

With your Makeshift Arrows-Pathfinding macro, I would add Hunter's Instinct, since it has the same duration and is a good one to always have up.
timb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 08:08 AM   #14
Shadow-X

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 15
Default



Sotaudi wrote:

More important than the fact that you cannot shift the HO, it is, in my opinion, a bad idea to try to complete HOs with the same macro that starts them.  The HO starter chain completer (Dirty Tricks in the case above) could be resisted, could miss, or could be interrupted.  This will not stop the macro from continuing.  It will go ahead and use the HO completer skill (Pierce in the first macro).  So the following could easily happen.

You hit the macro, Lucky Break fires off, the HO starter chain comes up. Dirty Tricks queues, but it is resisted, failing to complete the starter chain.  Pierce fires off, but it just hits normally.  That is, no HO is completed.  It takes a moment for you to notice the starter chain wheel is still up.  So you hit Evade.  Evade completes, advancing the starter chain.  Quick Strike is the only available skill to complete the chain, so you fire it, and it misses, failing to complete the HO.  Now you have to wait for another skill to recharge before you can complete the HO, but so much time has elapsed by now, the HO timer expires before one does.

Had your macro been just Lucky Break and Dirty Tricks, you could have hit the macro, and determined that Dirty Tricks did not comlpete the starter chain.  Hit Evade, then hit Pierce.  This would have completed the HO in the above situation since Pierce and Evade fired okay.  And assuming Pierce does miss, in the above example Quick Strike would be available to try to complete the HO.  As it was, you ran out of skills and could not compete the HO because you "wasted" Pierce because the HO was not ready for it.


I'm convinced that the two step Solo HO macro, suggested  by Sotaudi  and others, may be the better way to go for most players.  I'll change mine tonight and see if it improves my effectiveness (I'm been soloing mostly blues and whites the past few nights and haven't had a problem but I may be able to kill quicker, with less down time, if I remove Pierce from my macro).
Shadow-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 11:59 PM   #15
Shadow-X

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 15
Default

Someone from the other thread suggests this version of my Stealth Strike Macro, so that you don't necessarily have to lead with the Cheap Shot Macro.

Stealth Strike (modified):

/autoattack 0

/useability Shrouded Strike

/useability Shadowflame

Shadow-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 09:58 PM   #16
Shadow-X

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 15
Default

I just hit 22.5, so I now have the Corner CA.

Based on this, and the advice of others posting to this thread, I've modified my HO macro to look like this:

HO Starter:

/useability Lucky Break

/useability Corner

Then I can use a coin CA to switch the HO that pops up, if necessary, before finishing the technique.
Shadow-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 02:29 AM   #17
Dionysus2

 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 5
Default

Is there a way to get 2 stealth abilities to effectively work in one macro? I want to put both sneak and stalk in one macro so that it uses which ever one is refreshed. I tried
 
/autoattack off
: ; doability Sneak ; doability Stalk
/doability Shadow Blade
 
But it doesn't seem to work. I don't want to create 2 lines for each stealth back attack but I still want to get off as many stealth attacks as possible without doing it manually.
Dionysus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 10:48 PM   #18
Aenashi

Loremaster
Aenashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 286
Default

Now is there a way to put in a time delay in a macro?
__________________
Aenashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 04:52 PM   #19
StratCat

 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 25
Default

Very Usefull Information!
StratCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 05:28 PM   #20
Dasanhgul

Loremaster
Dasanhgul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Freeport
Posts: 308
Default



ihateforumnames wrote:
Now is there a way to put in a time delay in a macro?



Nope.

 

Dasanhgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 09:19 PM   #21
StratCat

 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 25
Default



Shadow-X wrote:

Someone from the other thread suggests this version of my Stealth Strike Macro, so that you don't necessarily have to lead with the Cheap Shot Macro.

Stealth Strike (modified):

/autoattack 0

/useability Shrouded Strike

/useability Shadowflame




This will not work , Shrouded Strike toggles Autoattack back on ,

So ut has to be like this :

/useability Shrouded Strike

/autoattack 0

/useability Shadowflame or /useability Shadow Lunge

StratCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:28 AM.

vBulletin skin by: CompleteGFX.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All threads and posts originally from the EQ2 and Station forums operated by Sony Online Entertainment. Their use is by express written permission.