EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-05-2012, 06:06 AM   #1
Novusod

Loremaster

Seeing as Player Studio is going to be a major feature of the game this is probably already planned. Maybe SoE is waiting for the new forums before they add it. Don't know. Just wanted to make sure this was on the radar and not forgotten about.

The purpose of the Player Studio Subforum would be to give a place where players can talk about their submissions and projects as well as take feedback from other players on player submitted ideas similar to how the look and feel forum works for SoE designed content. Modding isn't just an individual prospect but a whole community effort. This forum would be part of the needed infrastructure that supports a successful and productive modding community.

Just my two cents.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:11 AM   #2
yohann koldheart

Loremaster

since the player that makes the item will be the one paid if it ends up on the market place and sells i dout there will be too many people openly discussing their ideas.

also we are getting new forums, so if they plan on adding one im sure it will be included.

yohann koldheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:25 AM   #3
Vannya Kaji

Loremaster

I agree with the OP here, but others should also be very cautious about openingly discussing their projects as well. Unless we wanna pass out NDAs! 

This forum should be a home for content creators and mentors to help those new to content creation.

Fortunately, I am part of a very large guild and get a good amount of requests in for item creation and I dont mind passing around a lot of that information; some of these I just do not have the time or the interest to do. I will say, on this note, that despite the major push for content creators having access to armor and mount variations (me included), I have yet to get a single request for these.

Vannya Kaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:59 AM   #4
Novusod

Loremaster

Vannya Kaji wrote:

I agree with the OP here, but others should also be very cautious about openingly discussing their projects as well. Unless we wanna pass out NDAs! 

This forum should be a home for content creators and mentors to help those new to content creation.

Fortunately, I am part of a very large guild and get a good amount of requests in for item creation and I dont mind passing around a lot of that information; some of these I just do not have the time or the interest to do. I will say, on this note, that despite the major push for content creators having access to armor and mount variations (me included), I have yet to get a single request for these.

As I said moding is a community effort. NDAs would be counter productive to those ends. For example someone may be very good at mesh work and another person maybe good at skinning. As a colaborative effort the two working together could produce items of professonal quality. This has been done before in other games. Curently talking to a professonal modder through third party channels. It would be a shame if SoE missed out on the huge potential here by going half way with this. There are a lot of things I would like to discuss but there is just no place to put it right now.

Second point is how many people actually know you are taking requests? People are not mind readers. A post on a public forum letting others know what you want to do are and open to will solve that issue.

Part of this is also to attract new people to EQ2 just because of the modding potential. There is a certain subset of gamers who just play and build content for modded games. Just like there is a free 2 play community of gamers there is a modding crowd of gamers. The phrase 'Build it they will come' applies here.

SoE should be setting this infrastucture like a sandbox. The players and modders bring the sand. That is the goal here.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #5
Vannya Kaji

Loremaster

Hmm, well, the NDA comment was not meant to be taken seriously. I deal with them constantly, but I don't forsee many reasons to adopt them here. As with most forums and chat services, sarcasm doesn't really work well  

Novusod wrote:

Second point is how many people actually know you are taking requests? People are not mind readers. A post on a public forum letting others know what you want to do are and open to will solve that issue.

If this is referring to me specifically, I am not sure I follow you. I am not actually "taking requests", I was getting a feel for what casual players would want as opposed to what content I want to create. 

Another thing to note is that players not familiar with any type of 3d content creation do not generally understand the restrictions we are currently working with, so a good explaination of the content we can and cannot create is a "must".

Mod teams should not be taken lightly, they can put out some amazing content and SOE should reward the team appropriately; I can't see how the current system would work. 

Vannya Kaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
Zorastiz
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Dressed To Kill

Loremaster

These forums are going away Friday I think? A new forum will replace these, there might be a subforum for it there.

Zorastiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:09 PM   #7
feldon30

Fansite Staff

There actually is a PlayerStudio forum, but with the SOE forums in transition, I'm not sure how much it will get used.

feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:31 PM   #8
Kurokage
Server: Kithicor
Guild: Kagemusha

Loremaster

I also asked for this. Being involved with the Bioware forums for custom content, I can say first hand that a forum where designers can share tips, feedback, and support will do wonders for the community as a whole. I am really hoping that once we go to the new forums, there will be a Player's Studio subforum on there. Otherwise we might have to make our own...

Kurokage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:14 PM   #9
Dexella

Community Relations

There won't be a Player Studio subforum on the EverQuest II forums, because Player Studio is not just an EQ2 feature! It is housed on our general Station forums, since it a cross-SOE game endeavor. Items are being submitted currently for EverQuest, EverQuest II, and Free Realms. It is also planned to launch in Vanguard at a later date. Because of this, we want the conversation housed in a location where players of all games can access it and talk to one another. 

As feldon noted, you can find the Player Studio forum here: http://forums.station.sony.com/stat...category_id=116

~Dexella

Community Relations Manager
Dexella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:07 AM   #10
Novusod

Loremaster

Dexella wrote:

There won't be a Player Studio subforum on the EverQuest II forums, because Player Studio is not just an EQ2 feature! It is housed on our general Station forums, since it a cross-SOE game endeavor. Items are being submitted currently for EverQuest, EverQuest II, and Free Realms. It is also planned to launch in Vanguard at a later date. Because of this, we want the conversation housed in a location where players of all games can access it and talk to one another. 

As feldon noted, you can find the Player Studio forum here: http://forums.station.sony.com/stat...category_id=116

~Dexella

You see I have a lot of EQ2 specific questions and discussions I would like to talk about but that forum does not really seem appropriate. Notice that forum has no posts on it while there is a good disgussion going on 3rd party website. SoE seems to have a habbit of creating something with enormous potential and then letting it go to waste because of some over looked detail. Let it not be something so simple as a misplaced forum.