EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

 

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > Zones and Population
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2011, 10:40 PM   #1
Kunaak

Loremaster
Kunaak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,081
Default

vallon zek has a really annoying feature...

it only drops 1 BP, and 1 rune.

we constantly get mage BPs and the "tactical advantage" rune - a rune that by all means should be considerd useful, but overall, its hard to be excited about.

but the biggest issue is the simplest.

it only drops a single BP. thats a huge waste of time, if you go there, clear the zone, and only get another single BP, that wasnt one you needed.

its annoying to see the same single rune every single time, but we can ignore that.

the fact the mob only drops a single BP is what makes the who zone a waste of time.

Kunaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:58 PM   #2
Lempo

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,179
Default

How many times have you killed and how many mage BPs?

                           

__________________
All actions have consequences and repercussions.



Somewhere in Norrath a guild is about to dissolve.
Lempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:20 PM   #3
Morghus

Loremaster
Morghus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,105
Default

Hard mode will be fun, it will drop a whole 2 bps.

Morghus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:00 AM   #4
Mythal_EQ2

Loremaster
Mythal_EQ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 324
Default

This is true of all Drunder instances. Unlike the Kael/Kraytoc zones, which drop 2 primary / 1 secondary loot (i.e. 2 patterns, 1 charm) in EM, all Drunder zones drop 1 less per kill.

I assume it was done to slow progression down as there is no other logical explanation that I can find, but it's annoying and definitely makes these zones less appealing.

__________________


Mythal_EQ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:44 AM   #5
Silzin
Server: Crushbone
Guild: Revelations
Rank: Raider

Loremaster
Silzin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 537
Default

The nattier of the 1 Pattern and 1 other in Drunder has bugged me for a while. If and only IF the Drunder X2 EM's had 100% smart loot would i think that it is ok, but i dont think it is... haven't killed enough in there tho to see if it is or not ... just ha hunch.
__________________
Silzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:01 AM   #6
The_Cheeseman

Loremaster
The_Cheeseman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,285
Default

Being forced to waste time farming zones due to annoying random loot tables that never drop the item you want is basically what modern MMOs are about. You think SOE couldn't make those boxes 100% smart loot? Of course they could, but they choose not to. Why? Because if you didn't have to repeat the zone a ton of times due to randomized loot tables, you'd be done with the content way before they had the time to produce any more. Yeah, it's disappointing when the items you want continually elude you, but the alternative is having a bunch of awesome gear and nothing left that's worth killing.

__________________
The_Cheeseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:11 AM   #7
Morghus

Loremaster
Morghus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,105
Default

The_Cheeseman wrote:

Being forced to waste time farming zones due to annoying random loot tables that never drop the item you want is basically what modern MMOs are about. You think SOE couldn't make those boxes 100% smart loot? Of course they could, but they choose not to. Why? Because if you didn't have to repeat the zone a ton of times due to randomized loot tables, you'd be done with the content way before they had the time to produce any more. Yeah, it's disappointing when the items you want continually elude you, but the alternative is having a bunch of awesome gear and nothing left that's worth killing.

Except that's not what is being complained about here at all. The issue is that  the new Hard Mode zones are dropping as much loot per run as the launch easy mode, and less than the launch Hard Mode...while having a longer lockout and being more challenging overall.

Way to miss the point while at the same time inserting a novel on why you think it should be okay, when it isn't.

Morghus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:26 AM   #8
Banditman

Loremaster
Banditman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 7,459
Default

They actually drop LESS loot than Launch EM zones, and far less than Launch HM.

__________________
Banditman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:43 PM   #9
The_Cheeseman

Loremaster
The_Cheeseman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,285
Default

[email protected] wrote:

Except that's not what is being complained about here at all. The issue is that  the new Hard Mode zones are dropping as much loot per run as the launch easy mode, and less than the launch Hard Mode...while having a longer lockout and being more challenging overall.

Way to miss the point while at the same time inserting a novel on why you think it should be okay, when it isn't.

No, I understand the complaint perfectly. The OP is unhappy that the zones don't drop enough loot per kill and that the randomness of the loot tables means that the loot that does drop is often unusable. Seems obvious to me that they're putting in a progression curve. They made it fairly easy to acquire the launch raid gear by making drops plentiful, thereby allowing people to get their foot in the door. However, as the gear gets better, the MOBs get harder, the lockouts get longer, and the drops get less plentiful, thereby making the best gear more rare and difficult to acquire. These sorts of progression curves are pretty common in gaming, it's fast and easy at the start, but it gets harder and more time consuming the further you progress. This is intended to extend the lifespan of content and prevent it from becoming obsolete too quickly.

The OP is basically complaining because the progression isn't fast enough for his taste, and I suppose that is a valid complaint. However, it's human nature to desire quicker gratification, so if SOE acquiesced to every request to increase the rate of progression, we'd be out of content in no time. At some point a good game designer has to realize that what the players want isn't always what is best for the game, and say "tough, if you're not willing to put in the time, you don't deserve the rewards."

__________________
The_Cheeseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:20 PM   #10
Banditman

Loremaster
Banditman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 7,459
Default

The_Cheeseman wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Except that's not what is being complained about here at all. The issue is that  the new Hard Mode zones are dropping as much loot per run as the launch easy mode, and less than the launch Hard Mode...while having a longer lockout and being more challenging overall.

Way to miss the point while at the same time inserting a novel on why you think it should be okay, when it isn't.

No, I understand the complaint perfectly. The OP is unhappy that the zones don't drop enough loot per kill and that the randomness of the loot tables means that the loot that does drop is often unusable. Seems obvious to me that they're putting in a progression curve. They made it fairly easy to acquire the launch raid gear by making drops plentiful, thereby allowing people to get their foot in the door. However, as the gear gets better, the MOBs get harder, the lockouts get longer, and the drops get less plentiful, thereby making the best gear more rare and difficult to acquire. These sorts of progression curves are pretty common in gaming, it's fast and easy at the start, but it gets harder and more time consuming the further you progress. This is intended to extend the lifespan of content and prevent it from becoming obsolete too quickly.

The OP is basically complaining because the progression isn't fast enough for his taste, and I suppose that is a valid complaint. However, it's human nature to desire quicker gratification, so if SOE acquiesced to every request to increase the rate of progression, we'd be out of content in no time. At some point a good game designer has to realize that what the players want isn't always what is best for the game, and say "tough, if you're not willing to put in the time, you don't deserve the rewards."

No, you still are not understanding.

Launch EM drops are two patterns and one item.

Launch HM drops are THREE patterns and one item.

Drunder EM drops are one pattern and one item.

This is the problem.  Drunder EM drops the LEAST amount of loot.  It is "intended" to be somewhere between Launch EM and Launch HM as far as difficult / quality goes, yet it drops LESS loot than EITHER of those.  It's wrong.

__________________
Banditman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:31 PM   #11
The_Cheeseman

Loremaster
The_Cheeseman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,285
Default

Banditman wrote:

No, you still are not understanding.

Launch EM drops are two patterns and one item.

Launch HM drops are THREE patterns and one item.

Drunder EM drops are one pattern and one item.

This is the problem.  Drunder EM drops the LEAST amount of loot.  It is "intended" to be somewhere between Launch EM and Launch HM as far as difficult / quality goes, yet it drops LESS loot than EITHER of those.  It's wrong.

Again, how do you know that it is "wrong" and not intended? If it fits between existing progression tiers, there is another reason to drop less loot, since the loot is supplemental and optional, not mandatory. Dropping less loot keeps it from obsoleting EM launch content when working up to HM. You don't have to get all the loot from those zones, only enough to supplement your existing EM loot until you can acquire HM loot. It provides greater variety of content within the tier without outright replacing anything.

I don't claim to know this as fact, but it seems like a perfectly serviceable alternative to "It's wrong." Though, I do concede that SOE has a fairly poor track record for Velious itemization.

__________________
The_Cheeseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:48 PM   #12
ThomasCH

Loremaster
ThomasCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: AB
Posts: 378
Default

He should drop 2 BP's. Actually, all nameds in the Sullon, Tallon and Vallon raids should drop 2 armor patterns. Not 1.

__________________
Just another noob..
ThomasCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 04:40 PM   #13
acctlc

Loremaster
acctlc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 520
Default

ThomasCH wrote:

He should drop 2 BP's. Actually, all nameds in the Sullon, Tallon and Vallon raids should drop 2 armor patterns. Not 1.

^^^^  This.  i've already feedbacked it.  They want to push us out of the original launch DoV zones but they don't put the same quantity of drops in the next tier of zones.  Then they boggle at us when progression is not keeping up with the zones they are releasing.  Words (and the content filter) fail me at this point...

__________________
acctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 03:55 AM   #14
Irgun

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 318
Default

Just looking forward if next xpac hits in november and people will still try to clear Zek-Towers / Plane of War (maybe) - either next xpac wont have any new raidzones at the beginning so people actually have time to enjoy/clear Drunder-zones + PoW or we get new raidzones next xpac and people will move on skipping PoW - only thing that would prevent this is if you intend PoW to be THE raidzone even during next xpac.

Hope they just wont do the mistake like they did on Throne of New Tunaria, no one really went in there since it was pushed out 1 month before next xpac ~

Irgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:26 AM   #15
Hamervelder

Loremaster
Hamervelder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,585
Default

[email protected] wrote:

Just looking forward if next xpac hits in november and people will still try to clear Zek-Towers / Plane of War (maybe) - either next xpac wont have any new raidzones at the beginning so people actually have time to enjoy/clear Drunder-zones + PoW or we get new raidzones next xpac and people will move on skipping PoW - only thing that would prevent this is if you intend PoW to be THE raidzone even during next xpac.

Hope they just wont do the mistake like they did on Throne of New Tunaria, no one really went in there since it was pushed out 1 month before next xpac ~

OT with the thread, but a good point: I'm left befuddled at why SOE is releasing content that's more difficult than current content, which hasn't been cleared yet.  Honestly, how many guilds per server are going to be able to raid PoW, when it requires killing all three Drunder zone bosses in hardmode first?  As of 9/29/11, no one on Antonia Bayle has done that, and we're one of the largest servers, with a fairly-large raiding community.  Why in the world would SOE put out content that a fractional percentage of its players can even see yet, if any?

__________________
Elhonas

Warden of Mayhem, Antonia Bayle
Hamervelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:14 AM   #16
lollipop

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 368
Default

hopefully soon this will be fixed. I am hopeing they allow 2 patterns 1 jewlery type item for EM and 3 patterns 1 jewlery type item for HM to follow in line with Keal EM and HM.

I am just hopeing the higher powers allow this change to be made.

lollipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:48 AM.

vBulletin skin by: CompleteGFX.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All threads and posts originally from the EQ2 and Station forums operated by Sony Online Entertainment. Their use is by express written permission.