EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Scout's Den > Ranger
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-06-2007, 07:58 PM   #1
Lamini

Lord

greetings.I played EQ1 since 2000 as a Paladin, my one and only character.  i quit videogames via the cold turkey thing bout 6 months ago and just got this original EQ2 downloaded (other expansions worth it?).  starting EQ2 was something, updated graphics for one!  i settled to EQ2 as i heard you didnt need to raid to get decent items, I was a raid officer in EQ for several years on a top guild, and i enjoy not having to play a game that requires you to treat as a career.  anyway, just looking to manage my time.  any links to ranger sites with slot specific good stuff quests at my levels would be great.  currently looking for a bow.  im lvl 10 and still have the bow i made the character with and have very lame armor.  just seeking what armors i should have (set?) at lvl 10.. 20.. 30.. and so forth. also, where is the bazaar? assuming such a thing exists in EQ2.  would like to farm plat, err gold, and save up for crafted stuff, if thats worth it. 
Lamini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:44 AM   #2
Saihung23

Loremaster

Lamini wrote:
greetings.I played EQ1 since 2000 as a Paladin, my one and only character.  i quit videogames via the cold turkey thing bout 6 months ago and just got this original EQ2 downloaded (other expansions worth it?).  starting EQ2 was something, updated graphics for one!  i settled to EQ2 as i heard you didnt need to raid to get decent items, I was a raid officer in EQ for several years on a top guild, and i enjoy not having to play a game that requires you to treat as a career.  anyway, just looking to manage my time.  any links to ranger sites with slot specific good stuff quests at my levels would be great.  currently looking for a bow.  im lvl 10 and still have the bow i made the character with and have very lame armor.  just seeking what armors i should have (set?) at lvl 10.. 20.. 30.. and so forth. also, where is the bazaar? assuming such a thing exists in EQ2.  would like to farm plat, err gold, and save up for crafted stuff, if thats worth it. 

Welcome back to Norrath SMILEY

Just wanted to welcome you and give your post a bump, seemed all alone there with no replies SMILEY

There is an armor quest in Qeynos Harbor that you can start at level 20.  I suggest saving your money for now and pushing through to twenty.

However, in order to get to 20 with the minimal amt. of deaths (for a ranger that equals about 5000000), you will need to make certain all your equipment is level 10 better (as you level).

You can actually craft better stuff at the early levels than you will get as a drop...the caves is also an awesome place to explore and get armor.

Poisons...MAKE SURE you use your poisons all the time.  When your poison goes away, use more.  At later levels, you can use multiple types of poison at the same time.

Go to Eldarr Grove and do the bow quest from the person in the ehhh.....north east corner behind the cabin type deal.

Its been a long time since I was a new ranger, but I hope this helps...or I hope it is so wrong that many people come in and give you better advice SMILEY

Good luck

Old 09-07-2007, 11:19 AM   #3
Morro Twistedbriar

Loremaster

Mastercrafted armor will be great to use for all levels. common crafted is ok. I suggest harvesting, trading for what you need and using mastercrafted. Mastercrafted is on par with legendary items dropped for those levels. Until 35 I was a poor ranger and then took the time to start a craft and harvest what I needed. Oh and Shinys, chase shinys as well. Some sell very well. Take the time to harvest or craft; or both. Common crafted is cheap enough anyone can buy. master crafted is best if you harvest and find someone to make it. Most people do not charge a lot for crafting services, but the rare components can be expensive to buy. Crafting can be a bit daunting to get the hang of. Jewelers make your Spells, Alchemists your poisons, woodworker your bows, Armorer and weapon smith of course make armor and weapons.There is no Bazaar per say. In each tradeskill instance you will find a broker. They list what everyone has for sell. No need to search and run around the room to find the person you want. You can buy from the broker. People can put boxes of merchandise in their houses and you can go there and buy the item without having to pay the broker fee. If you click on an item in the broker, on the bottom of the broker window will list what the person charges for the item as well as the broker fee.If you are on Lucan server look me up, I'd be willing to help. If not list your server and someone might be willing to lend a hand.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:11 AM   #4
Lamini

Lord

can i get links to this "mastercrafted" stuff, or actual names?  i am now lvl 17, and did that bow quest in... uhmm the windstalker lady village place in antonica. has a rating of 9.9, compared to the maple bow (NPC vendor) 6.6 rating, and actually has stats!  anyway, i found the mender in antonica, so it made all my CRs to the Qeynos Harbor to repair my armor faster.  then i found out that those griffons were not expensive uberguild horses... anyway, i get around faster now ;p.  also, remember any moneymaking quests?  all these i get are like 5silver rewards =(thank you all.  ps. what is this "shiny's"?
Old 09-13-2007, 10:36 AM   #5
Versan
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: True North

Loremaster

I believe, and some of the more experienced players can correct me if I'm wrong, but 'shiny's are the little question marks that you see on the ground that say 'collecting' as opposed to gathering, foresting, mining, etc, when you click to harvest them.  Some items, even in Antonica, can sell on the broker for 10g, at least on Antonia Bayle.  I've only been back from a hiatus for about a month and have made a ton of money selling harvesting collectibles.  I've never passed up a flashing '?' on the ground.Again, while my 'born-on' date is the 2004, I really haven't played much up until the last month.  So, your mileage may vary.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:51 AM   #6
Vatec

Loremaster

Lamini wrote:
can i get links to this "mastercrafted" stuff, or actual names?  i am now lvl 17, and did that bow quest in... uhmm the windstalker lady village place in antonica. has a rating of 9.9, compared to the maple bow (NPC vendor) 6.6 rating, and actually has stats!  anyway, i found the mender in antonica, so it made all my CRs to the Qeynos Harbor to repair my armor faster.  then i found out that those griffons were not expensive uberguild horses... anyway, i get around faster now ;p.  also, remember any moneymaking quests?  all these i get are like 5silver rewards =(thank you all.  ps. what is this "shiny's"?
That bow should tide you over until you get to 22 at which point you should try to get a Pristine Imbued Fir Long Bow.  That's the mastercrafted bow for your level.  You'll find that new mastercrafted items become available every ten levels after that.  They're probably the best deal you can find as far as equipment until you're in your 50s.  As for bows, in your 20s you'll probably want to acquire Stormfire.  That should carry you until you can get something like Longarm in your 40s.  Edit:  Stormfire comes from a long, painful, annoying, boring quest in the Stormhold dungeon.  But you can usually find it for sale on the broker.  Longarm drops off Emperor Fyst in Deathfist Citadel.  If you can't get either, just check on the broker for Pristine Imbued XXX Long Bows and pick the one that is closest to your level without going over....)You haven't mentioned whether or not you've found the broker yet.  That's the EQ2 equivalent of the Bazaar.  You'll find one in the tradeskill instance in your home village.  The tradeskill instance is the strange-looking trap door against the side of a building with someone called a Crafting Trainer (or something very similar) standing next to it.Finally, questing isn't really the best way to make money.  As far as I recall, there are no particularly good money-making quests anywhere in the world other than Feerrott (level 36+ zone).  Your best bets for cash are A. killing creatures and looting their bodies (heh, yes, obvious I know, but if I don't say it, someone will come along and say I gave you bad advice because I forgot to point out the obvious), B. collecting items from the "?" shinies, and C. harvesting roots and rocks for crafting materials which sell for decent money on the broker.Good luck with your new Ranger!
and a few others

90 Provisioner, 41+ Woodworker, 34+ Carpenter
41+ Tailor, 30+ Armorer, 29+ Weaponsmith
70+ Jeweler, 51+ Alchemist, 29+ Sage

Living and dying on OASIS since 11/09/04
Vatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:08 PM   #7
Lamini

Lord

i found the brokers.  i dont see anything i can afford.  i finally made 1gold though.  far as the shinys go, i always right click and put it with the collectable stuffs.  far as the harvesting tradeskilling stuff, no one (NPC) will buy it.  Ive kept them all though just in case i get into tradeskilling... holding off on it as I remember having to get the tradeskill earring from eq1 and that was a lot of life gone.   thanks all for the help.  i play in thundersteps now and accept whatever armor / weapon quests are avaialble, the $$$ ones stink, specially when mobs drop 16sp
Old 05-05-2008, 08:15 PM   #8
Lamini

Lord

i took a little AFK there... im lvl 53 now, got my carpet, got my yehksa sword.  thats about my highlights.  i just realized/learned that there are AAs in EQ2... yey for not grouping!  its not so bad though, i had like a total of 20 AAs till I realized I had some, and what they do.  im spending all my gold on cobalt mastercrafted gear now, which is best right?  i gave up raiding, after running raids on EQ for 6years, so the slow paced game is ok with me, i dont want it to become a job again.  my question is, around my level ii think best bow is mechanized gnome bow (?)... is the RainCaller (epic?) doable without a raid? ie, can my groups do it... thanks
Old 05-05-2008, 11:40 PM   #9
Mirrian

Loremaster

I second what someone else said, post what server you are on and I am sure there will be several people who will help you out. You can join the serverwide ranger channel in your chat options and talk to rangers all over the place, /join butcherblock.worldranger
Mirrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 10:37 AM   #10
Lamini

Lord

just got my Rain Caller .... much better than the bazaar bow i might add!was not easy, spent 2hrs with pick up group in Loping Plains hehe
Old 06-07-2008, 01:13 PM   #11
Alenna
Server: Guk
Guild: Defenders of the Light

Loremaster

I was looking at the eq2 wiki about the quest to get Rain Caller can someone tell me how best to get the required Irontoe brigade faction they talk fpr step 5? about being a level 47 ranger do I have to go through grey quests to get it?
Old 06-07-2008, 02:42 PM   #12
Alenna

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:I swear I pushed edit.
Old 06-07-2008, 04:29 PM   #13
Mariss
Server: Nektulos
Guild: Legions of the iron dragon

Augur

[email protected] wrote:
I was looking at the eq2 wiki about the quest to get Rain Caller can someone tell me how best to get the required Irontoe brigade faction they talk fpr step 5? about being a level 47 ranger do I have to go through grey quests to get it?
Knock out the solo timeline quests in Butcherblock.  That'll give you plenty of irontoe brigade faction.  At 47 I think they probably won't be greyed quests (not that it really matters).
Mariss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 07:27 PM   #14
Lamini

Lord

[email protected] wrote:
just kill the kobolds everywhere in the zone.  theres even a crevice in the zone full of just kobolds.  30minutes, 10k+ faction.  also bunch near the griffin near butcherblock.  ps load up your AEs
Old 06-07-2008, 07:29 PM   #15
Lamini

Lord

any quests ahead of time for decent armors beyond cobalt playermade mastercrafted?  ranged, piercing mods would be nice... if those exist for non raiders.  what exactly does ranged and piercing do anyway.  is piercing stack on top of my piercing bow damage or piercing skill?  err?  does ranged allow me to shoot from further range or?
Old 06-08-2008, 07:31 PM   #16
Alenna

Loremaster

Lamini wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
just kill the kobolds everywhere in the zone.  theres even a crevice in the zone full of just kobolds.  30minutes, 10k+ faction.  also bunch near the griffin near butcherblock.  ps load up your AEs
Will the kolbolds in Steamfont mountain work also?. load up my AEs?
Old 06-10-2008, 04:49 AM   #17
gfx

General

yes, load up your AE's.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:05 PM   #18
Alenna

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:
yes, load up your AE's.
AEs as in Area effects?
Old 06-10-2008, 11:07 PM   #19
Lamini

Lord

yes.  In raids, in order to pass time quickly you would ae the trash mobs.  i saw it most when Luclin expansion came out for EQ as AE xp groups were the $hit with very fast experience.  basically your nuker classes would load up their AEs, have a tank with good agro pull a bunch of mobs simultaneously, and once agro was established, the nukers would unleash their wrath.  back then AE agro was not as easy as it is now, so the enchanters would basically chain cast AE stuns so the cloth wearers wouldnt die so fast.in your case, you cant chain agro unlimited number of mobs like you could in EQ, so youre left with 3 or 4 kobolds together, and invis/AE. if you find that kobold canyon im talking about, its just kobolds down there, and many.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:05 PM   #20
Alenna

Loremaster

Lamini wrote:
yes.  In raids, in order to pass time quickly you would ae the trash mobs.  i saw it most when Luclin expansion came out for EQ as AE xp groups were the $hit with very fast experience.  basically your nuker classes would load up their AEs, have a tank with good agro pull a bunch of mobs simultaneously, and once agro was established, the nukers would unleash their wrath.  back then AE agro was not as easy as it is now, so the enchanters would basically chain cast AE stuns so the cloth wearers wouldnt die so fast.in your case, you cant chain agro unlimited number of mobs like you could in EQ, so youre left with 3 or 4 kobolds together, and invis/AE. if you find that kobold canyon im talking about, its just kobolds down there, and many.
ok I only know of one AE we Rangers have and that pounce and its' upgrades are there others?
Old 06-14-2008, 01:39 PM   #21
blackdog1

Loremaster

Well rain of arrows is one. It's our best damage dealer. But you don't get that to like 50 something I think.
blackdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 03:10 PM   #22
Alenna

Loremaster

blackdog1 wrote:
Well rain of arrows is one. It's our best damage dealer. But you don't get that to like 50 something I think.
that is only 2 more levels, Now if I can get my guild to help me use this bonus xp weekend to get her to 50 which is when she gets it I'll be all set :-/
Old 06-23-2008, 01:14 PM   #23
Alenna

Loremaster

drat forgot to post the day  I went to the canyon and not only got the faction I needed but managed to finish the kobold L & L so that when I am in steamfont i can fight the kobolds there better.  I even managed to get enough extra for my alts to get a very good start on their Kobold L & L SMILEYTY for you help. and yes my Pounce(what ever is it called now) worked quite well.