EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-11-2012, 11:09 AM   #1
thesiren

Loremaster

Well, John Smedley apparently disagrees with some here on the forums, and is busy Twittering EQ2's newfound F2P success.

https://twitter.com/j_smedley?_twitter_noscript=1

There has been a 40% increase in logins since F2P launched (so much for the old guard quitting, lol), with a 300% increase in new players all around, and a 200% increase in item sales since live converted to Extended's F2P model.  Plus, Smedley adds that they've gotten a lot of new subs lately as well (guess they're squeezing people right where it hurts the most with the plat cap, AA slider locking, etc.).

I guess it's time for me to peek out from booming Freeport onto my old family guild on Unrest.  Maybe there are actually new players there now!  How's Unrest doing these days anyway?

thesiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
Griffildur
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: First Lords

Loremaster

Don't know about you but on Splitpaw I have yet to see 300% more players.

I actually ran a poll, asking how many new players were at one point and I got 2 replies. I am thinking he sneaked 2 extra zeroes in his numbers.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
thesiren

Loremaster

Well, they might be clustering onto Antonia Bayle, Crushbone and, well, Freeport, lol.  But it does make sense if that is the case, because those have more active players on them in the first place who can spread the word and invite more friends in, plus most new players want to be on a busy server if they don't know anyone on any others so they roll there too. 

And even though Nagafen's population nowadays is still not what you could consider even moderate let alone booming, it's probably 5-6x higher than it used to be-- I can tell because now there are 5-6 other people in most zones you go into, where there used to be 0. 

Old 01-11-2012, 11:26 AM   #4
Avirodar
Server: Oasis
Guild: Tyranny

Loremaster

thesiren wrote:

Well, John Smedley apparently disagrees with some here on the forums, and is busy Twittering EQ2's newfound F2P success.

There has been a 40% increase in logins since F2P launched (so much for the old guard quitting, lol), with a 300% increase in new players all around, and a 200% increase in item sales since live converted to Extended's F2P model.  Plus, Smedley adds that they've gotten a lot of new subs lately as well (guess they're squeezing people right where it hurts the most with the plat cap, AA slider locking, etc.).

I guess it's time for me to peek out from booming Freeport onto my old family guild on Unrest.  Maybe there are actually new players there now!  How's Unrest doing these days anyway?

Given SOE held a triple and double SC promotion within short span of each other, shortly after the FTP transition, a 200% increase in sales is rather dismal, given the short span of time involved.A 40% increase in logins is far too vague. Is this simply character logins per day? More interesting data would be average concurrent users. Also, player logins always go up when an "expansion" is released, so the success of the increase can not be attributed entirely to FTP, even though AoD was terrible.300% increase in new players will not factor in existing players making throwaway or accounts to box. This will not reflect actual real growth. It is also 1/3 of what DCUO had, and the drop was quick to follow.But, you earn one SOE whiteknight point.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:44 AM   #5
Illmarr

Loremaster

I'm always glad to hear good news about the game I spend way too much time on, but little factoids like this really are worthless without some kind of context to put them in perspective. As pointed out above there have been numerous promotions involving not only SC but also a double experience weekend and an "expansion" release.

As far as log in go, I know I'm wasting about 30ish minutes a day swapping accounts and characters to do research on 6 tradeskillers that I have not logged in to adventure in months if not years. Fivwe minutes to zone from house to guild hall, make one item and zone back isn't what I would call a quality addition to the health numbers of the game. All it's done is take that time away from a character that I might actually interact with other players with

Illmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:46 AM   #6
Kenazeer

Loremaster

At 9:57pm Eastern last night there were 2 red servers and the rest yellow, which is at or slightly below where it used to be prior to F2P on a weeknight.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:46 AM   #7
willnotuse

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

I actually ran a poll, asking how many new players were at one point and I got 2 replies. I am thinking he sneaked 2 extra zeroes in his numbers.

You must be on a lame server as all we see on chat on ours is non-stop new player questions.

willnotuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #8
Crillus
Guild: Ashen Dawn

Loremaster

Kenazeer wrote:

At 9:57pm Eastern last night there were 2 red servers and the rest yellow, which is at or slightly below where it used to be prior to F2P on a weeknight.

Yeah and it was a Tuesday night - I'm on AB, I see a number of new players there. I've only been back playing EQ2 for maybe 6 months, so I might even count - of course, I joined again before it went FTP.

Crillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:54 AM   #9
Nrgy

Lord

thesiren wrote:

40% increase in logins ... The woefully few that heard about F2P w/o any advertising came to see ... nothing too exciting here if they don't stay.  I can only imagine the number of the old vets that came back on launch day on their new free silver accounts only to find out that all their toons were locked out due to race and class entitlements that were stripped away, just like we told them in that absurd thread pre-launch.

300% increase in new players (all around) ...  huh?!?  I wouldn't be putting much weight on this.  80% of these are new Beastlords and 20% are new Bank mules created on free accounts.   There isn't much new going on here, sorry, spin it anyway you like.  I'm sure someone will believe it.

200% increase in sales (since Live convertion to F2P) .. Really?  That would imply post-launch and not include the actual purchase of AOD, not a bad stat.  HOWEVER, events in the post-launch period included a Triple-SC, Double-SC (christmas), Double-XP, Frostfell and spread out over two major high volume holiday times where many people have extended free time.  How many people purchased triple-SC and downgraded accounts from recurring to non-recurring only to pay for an entire years worth of Sub time for $60 rather than month-to-month being $180?  How many people used the discounted SC to buy up XP/Vitality potions specifically for the double-XP event?  How many people purchased triple and/or double SC and are sitting on it?  Not that making 200% profits thru sales isn't very nice, but there are a lot of factors at play which point to a veteran base and NOTHING NEW, sorry.

Free/Silver restrictions will force even the most casual of the F2P folks into a sub, but that is the plan and tbh one I agree with.  F2P accounts are cool and all, when used for silly things like bank mules or trade skill bots.  Any serious player will sub, they know it, we know it, the only people that don't know it are the F2P folks, but they will know it soon enough.

---------

Unrest populations is doing just fine despite SOE's lack of effort "all-around" (tm).  btw, why would you even want to play with "new" players?  It's one thing to get a buddy to sign up and tear through content together, but PUGing pre-90, pre-DOV has got to be a nightmare when "new" players are involved, unless they (the group) is all "new" players, then I could see some benefit,

Nrgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #10
Banedon_Toran

Lord

I checked all 26 of my throwaway accounts looking for a character who owns a semi-rare painting. Sorry mister Smedley, had their been a working EQ2Players I could have worked out which account I needed quicker... Also 300% increase in NEW players... kinda depends on how many 'new' players they were getting before. In the last 24 hours I increased by reading by 1200% ... or to put it in context, yesterday I spent 10 minutes reading the local paper, today I spent 2 hours reading a Salvatore book...
Banedon_Toran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:08 PM   #11
noluuk

Loremaster

Unless these numbers were gotten from an independant source then they are worth less than nothing. I just don't see these huge numbers they are speaking of.

noluuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:17 PM   #12
Lempo

Loremaster

Banedon_Toran wrote:

Also 300% increase in NEW players... kinda depends on how many 'new' players they were getting before. In the last 24 hours I increased by reading by 1200% ... or to put it in context, yesterday I spent 10 minutes reading the local paper, today I spent 2 hours reading a Salvatore book...

This says it exactly.

If SOE had ever been one to release/publish sub numbers it could mean something but most people that read this don't understand what it really means. 300% new players doesn't mean from the number of current subscribers it is in relation to the previous cycles new subscribers. Also as has been pointed out this includes accounts that were created by current subscribers that were created for boxing, so while there could be an increase in new players, there could also be a decrease or it could be unchanged.

Statistics can so easily be twisted, for instance in the past 2 weeks Smokeblower has blown 10,000% less smoke at us and UP us, of course he is on vacation...

Somewhere in Norrath a guild is about to dissolve.
Lempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:19 PM   #13
naladini

Loremaster

I still think the game would be better with fewer servers, even if player numbers are going up. Megaservers, constantly being able to find players (regardless of how old a particular server is), would be a good long term improvement. They did this with DCUO, of course thats a game with a newer infrastructure. Freeport has bigger instancing capabilities, but it always sounded like there was a limit to how big it could get, not sure how easy it is to get around the limit. Otherwise though, I like what I'm seeing and hearing. Its not surprising that numbers went up. Dungeon Finder is working for me, people are plentiful on Freeport, and mercenaries rock at keeping things going. Its a pretty good thing for a 7 year old game to be talking about population resurgence.

Fan Faire Fun: 2010 - 2007 - 2006 - 2005
naladini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:38 PM   #14
agnott

Loremaster

May I remind you all that when John Smedley made the announcement of the very first sever mergers for EQ2, he started of the post with:

"The game is growing"

Think about that.  You are merging servers and you say the "game is growing" in the same paragraph.

It was clear to me from that day forward  ... John Smedley has trouble being truthful with his playerbase.

agnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:40 PM   #15
Kenazeer

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

Kenazeer wrote:

Yeah and it was a Tuesday night - I'm on AB, I see a number of new players there. I've only been back playing EQ2 for maybe 6 months, so I might even count - of course, I joined again before it went FTP.

And it is at or slighlty lower than before for a weeknight.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:49 PM   #16
Nrgy

Lord

[email protected] wrote:

Banedon_Toran wrote:

Also 300% increase in NEW players... kinda depends on how many 'new' players they were getting before. In the last 24 hours I increased by reading by 1200% ... or to put it in context, yesterday I spent 10 minutes reading the local paper, today I spent 2 hours reading a Salvatore book...

This says it exactly.

If SOE had ever been one to release/publish sub numbers it could mean something but most people that read this don't understand what it really means. 300% new players doesn't mean from the number of current subscribers it is in relation to the previous cycles new subscribers. Also as has been pointed out this includes accounts that were created by current subscribers that were created for boxing, so while there could be an increase in new players, there could also be a decrease or it could be unchanged.

Statistics can so easily be twisted, for instance in the past 2 weeks Smokeblower has blown 10,000% less smoke at us and UP us, of course he is on vacation...

You can not divide by zero ...  ... but you could say there has been infinitely less smoke blow Up us in the past two weeks.

Nrgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:49 PM   #17
Avirodar
Server: Oasis
Guild: Tyranny

Loremaster

agnott wrote:

It was clear to me from that day forward  ... John Smedley has trouble being truthful with his playerbase.

That would explain why Smedley and SmokeJumper get on so well.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:49 PM   #18
naladini

Loremaster

agnott wrote:

May I remind you all that when John Smedley made the annoucment of the very first sever mergers for EQ2, he started of the post with:

"The game is growing"

Think about that.  You are merging servers and you say the "game is growing" in the same paragraph.

No. This isn't the year 2000, and a server is not a unit of measurement for a game's growth and current population.  

Games with heavy instancing tend to struggle with more servers as folks don't see other players.

Mathematically, EQ2 as a game was growing.  From a perception standpoint, people playing the game weren't seeing the additional people because of the instances.  The exact same thing happened to DCUO in the beginning, because they chose to launch with servers rather than one large instance.  Cities felt empty because people spent most of their time dropping into instances (DCUO did have a big population dip as well though).

In the long run, the large instance server has the advantage of masking any drops or swings in population.

The only thing you lose are "server firsts".  That's not a big loss to me.

Fan Faire Fun: 2010 - 2007 - 2006 - 2005
naladini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #19
sanamin

Loremaster

Of course there were more logins. The game keeps crashing out.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:54 PM   #20
thesiren

Loremaster

Kenazeer wrote:

Kenazeer wrote:

Which is hardly bad considering that Star Wars: The Old Republic, a majorly hyped new MMORPG, launched during this past month too. 

Not to mention that Blizzard instituted its "yearly pass" offer after EQ2 went F2P too, where you get Diablo III for free on launch day if you agree to pay for a year sub to WoW (plus Blizzard gives every one of your characters a flying mount that you can use from level 20 as a ground mount on up, and gives you free beta access to Mists of Panderia or whatever their new expansion is going to be called).

So there's some heavy competition there.  I'd say EQ2 is holding up just fine.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #21
Kenazeer

Loremaster

naladini wrote:

agnott wrote:

May I remind you all that when John Smedley made the annoucment of the very first sever mergers for EQ2, he started of the post with:

"The game is growing"

No. This isn't the year 2000, and a server is not a unit of measurement for a game's growth and current population.  

Games with heavy instancing tend to struggle with more servers as folks don't see other players.

Mathematically, EQ2 as a game was growing.  From a perception standpoint, people playing the game weren't seeing the additional people because of the instances.  The exact same thing happened to DCUO in the beginning, because they chose to launch with servers rather than one large instance.  Cities felt empty because people spent most of their time dropping into instances (DCUO did have a big population dip as well though).

In the long run, the large instance server has the advantage of masking any drops or swings in population.

The only thing you lose are "server firsts".  That's not a big loss to me.

Yeah.....right....the game was growing after LU13 right up until launch of KoS. I can only surmise you weren't around then or were on some kind of psychoactive substance.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:59 PM   #22
Kenazeer

Loremaster

thesiren wrote:

Kenazeer wrote:

Kenazeer wrote:

Which is hardly bad considering that Star Wars: The Old Republic, a majorly hyped new MMORPG, launched during this past month too. 

Not to mention that Blizzard instituted its "yearly pass" offer after EQ2 went F2P too, where you get Diablo III for free on launch day if you agree to pay for a year sub to WoW (plus Blizzard gives every one of your characters a flying mount that you can use from level 20 as a ground mount on up, and gives you free beta access to Mists of Panderia or whatever their new expansion is going to be called).

So there's some heavy competition there.  I'd say EQ2 is holding up just fine.

I might tend to agree if all the logons were subs, but they aren't.

But, anyway, I am not disputing the assertion that EQ2 is treading water at best, I am disputing the assertion that the number of people logging in is growing as is suggested by Smed's comment and the original post.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #23
agnott

Loremaster

sanamin wrote:

Brilliant.

agnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:10 PM   #24
Griffildur

Loremaster

sanamin wrote:

lol, +1 from me SMILEY

Old 01-11-2012, 01:12 PM   #25
Griffildur

Loremaster

willnotuse wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

You must be on a lame server as all we see on chat on ours is non-stop new player questions.

You win the prize for this week's lamest statement.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:59 PM   #26
Axyrem

Loremaster

sicne F2P started i saw a few people running around in the last few weeks, the only group i had was once with my wife.

well if you saw 6 people before, then a 300% increase would make it 18 ? well yea thats sincerly a huge increase.....

its common tactics these days in business to talk everything nice......

Axyrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:09 PM   #27
gourdon

Loremaster

Nrgy wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Banedon_Toran wrote:

This says it exactly.

You can not divide by zero ...  ... but you could say there has been infinitely less smoke blow Up us in the past two weeks.

Fail and fail.  You can't reduce by more than 100%.  Further, the change is in the numerator while the original value is in the denominator.  Just don't say or write anything regarding statistics, because neither of you have any idea.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:16 PM   #28
Griffildur

Loremaster

gourdon wrote:

Nrgy wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Banedon_Toran wrote:

This says it exactly.

Fail and fail.  You can't reduce by more than 100%.  Further, the change is in the numerator while the original value is in the denominator.  Just don't say or write anything regarding statistics, because neither of you have any idea.

I don't know, I wonder if you even read what was being said ...

Also 300% increase in NEW players... kinda depends on how many 'new' players they were getting before

That makes a lot of sense and I am afraid you don't make any even if you try to seem knowledgeable.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:18 PM   #29
MRRX

Loremaster

I found the statistics interesting if nothing else - I just came back from a 3 year hiatus.    Am I part of your 300% increase ?    If so it's nothing to do with F2P or expansions, just wanted to check in on things and find the game has improved dramatically in that time, such that I want to play again.

Ah, the zeal of a convert SMILEY .

togameforlife.wordpress.com

MRRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:24 PM   #30
gourdon

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

thesiren wrote:

Given SOE held a triple and double SC promotion within short span of each other, shortly after the FTP transition, a 200% increase in sales is rather dismal, given the short span of time involved.A 40% increase in logins is far too vague. Is this simply character logins per day? More interesting data would be average concurrent users. Also, player logins always go up when an "expansion" is released, so the success of the increase can not be attributed entirely to FTP, even though AoD was terrible.300% increase in new players will not factor in existing players making throwaway or accounts to box. This will not reflect actual real growth. It is also 1/3 of what DCUO had, and the drop was quick to follow.But, you earn one SOE whiteknight point.

I would say a 200% increase in item sales is a bit ambiguous.  If it means a 200% increase in SC spent on items, not non-recurring subscriptions, then it is a strong result.  This is because there is a guaranteed increase in spending on items that aren't subscriptions.  Everyone that purchased triple SC got a 200% increase from their purchase.  Not everyone took advantage of triple or even double SC.

The big question is how much did purchase of AoD and non-recurring subscriptions bloat this number?  If they weren't included or weren't a significant portion, then the numbers are good.  Otherwise, not so much.