EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-11-2012, 02:30 PM   #31
Griffildur
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: First Lords

Loremaster

gourdon wrote:

I would say a 200% increase in item sales is a bit ambiguous.  If it means a 200% increase in SC spent on items, not non-recurring subscriptions, then it is a strong result.  This is because there is a guaranteed increase in spending on items that aren't subscriptions.  Everyone that purchased triple SC got a 200% increase from their purchase.  Not everyone took advantage of triple or even double SC.

The big question is how much did purchase of AoD and non-recurring subscriptions bloat this number?  If they weren't included or weren't a significant portion, then the numbers are good.  Otherwise, not so much.

The numbers are always bloated every time something new is released. After a month or 2 things stabilise and we can have a clearer picture.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:52 PM   #32
Jovie
Server: Guk

Can't decide...

Man there are some nasty responses on this thread.

Anyway, people who don't work for soe can speculate all they want, run polls that most people will ignore anyway and jump twice and bark at the moon and they will never ever know actual population figures.

I highly doubt Smed was blowing smoke.

Now for my server of Guk, while i can't tell actual population i can say that since f2p more zones have had copies operating, the 1-9 chat has been more new player questions and less Highwire spam and i notice a lot more people running around in odd places as i travel.

Jovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:01 PM   #33
molinaro

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Don't know about you but on Splitpaw I have yet to see 300% more players.

I actually ran a poll, asking how many new players were at one point and I got 2 replies. I am thinking he sneaked 2 extra zeroes in his numbers.

That's quite the comprehension fail on your part.  The quote said nothing about 300% more players.  It said 300% more new players.  That means something entirely different.

If before the F2P launch they were averaging 10 new accounts per week, they would now be averaging 30 new accounts per week.

That's entirely different from your expectation of seeing 300% more players on the server.

molinaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:27 PM   #34
Gilasil

Loremaster

Sounds like great news!  If there were no truth behind it at all he would have just said nothing.  The bottom line of course is if revenue is stronger but I don't think they EVER discuss revenue in public.

As others have pointed out, if they saw that kind of increase in the last two months -- with the release of both Skyrim and SWTOR -- that's very encouraging.

I just came back after a couple month break to play Skyrim and SWTOR.  (Skyrim by the way is a great game, being single player you can't play it for years, but it's great for a 1-2 month interlude).  Anyway the boards for both of those games have a LOT of haters just like these boards.  Both games are doing VERY well and you have people on those boards who just can't say anything good about them and refuse to believe any good news.  Just like this board.

So the fact that there are a lot of haters on this board just shows it's holding true to form.  I guess some people get games so they can play them, others so they can complain about them.  Entertainment of a sort I guess.

When I rolled up a beastlord last weekend half the servers were red (i.e. very high population) including servers I'd never seen as red before.  I know they could have changed the definition of what constitutes high population but it's still an encouraging sign.

P.S.  I think I'm going to cancel my SWTOR subscription.  It's a nice game, but the cartoony graphics puts me off and the gameplay isn't any better then EQ2.  Besides they don't have Iksar SMILEY

Gilasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #35
salty21db

Loremaster

People are always negative on boards no matter what is said.  Especially when you don't have to be a subscriber to post or what not (moreso now with f2p).

If you want some real negativity just visit eq2flames lol.  

*Lets remember to post respectfully please*

salty21db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:39 PM   #36
Nrgy

Lord

Gilasil wrote:

P.S.  I think I'm going to cancel my SWTOR subscription.  It's a nice game, but the cartoony graphics puts me off and the gameplay isn't any better then EQ2.  Besides they don't have Iksar

hehe .. Right?  Blizzard in outterspace, no thank you.

Nrgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:02 PM   #37
Banedon_Toran

Lord

[email protected] wrote:

Man there are some nasty responses on this thread.

Anyway, people who don't work for soe can speculate all they want, run polls that most people will ignore anyway and jump twice and bark at the moon and they will never ever know actual population figures.

I highly doubt Smed was blowing smoke.

Now for my server of Guk, while i can't tell actual population i can say that since f2p more zones have had copies operating, the 1-9 chat has been more new player questions and less Highwire spam and i notice a lot more people running around in odd places as i travel.

I totally believe the figures quoted by Smedley are correct.  I'm just pointing out that percentage increases lose their meaning if you don't know what the starting figures are.  I once got a certificate at high school from the RE teacher for "significant improvement" in my work, however my Geography teacher (who always hated me) rather unkindly pointed out that it's easy to improve from nothing.

A 300% increase in NEW players is a good thing, and I can honestly say that I have met some of those new players in game, however this is a 300% increase in NEW players not a 300% increase in TOTAL players, so don't expect this to mean you should be tripping over new players.

Banedon_Toran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #38
Gladiolus

Loremaster

My own logins have increased by at least 600% since the release of Age of Discovery. Normally I would log two or perhaps three characters per day, but of course crafting researchers mean that every one of mine get logged in at least once a day. With each one zoning up and down to get the quest in a house, craft the item at the guild and deliver it at the house, there are also several crashes, so plenty of additional logging in but still only the same number of accounts and the same amount of total time in the game.

Gladiolus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #39
Cakeny

Lord

Lies, dammn lies, and statistics.

Cakeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #40
Nrgy

Lord

Banedon_Toran wrote:

I totally believe the figures quoted by Smedley are correct.  I'm just pointing out that percentage increases lose their meaning if you don't know what the starting figures are.  I once got a certificate at high school from the RE teacher for "significant improvement" in my work, however my Geography teacher (who always hated me) rather unkindly pointed out that it's easy to improve from nothing.

A 300% increase in NEW players is a good thing, and I can honestly say that I have met some of those new players in game, however this is a 300% increase in NEW players not a 300% increase in TOTAL players, so don't expect this to mean you should be tripping over new players.

Nice that a rolemodle, in a teaching position, is brave enough to tell someone they will always be a Zero and never a Hero. 

~Judge Smails: Well, the world needs ditch diggers, too. SMILEY

Nrgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:29 PM   #41
agnott

Loremaster

John Smedley has been uncharistically "chatty" about games outside his own. One in particular.

I think Mr Smedley is quite agitated that a new MMO has shown rock soild proof that the sub model is alive and well in the MMO industry.

agnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:31 PM   #42
Starbuck1771

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

I actually ran a poll, asking how many new players were at one point and I got 2 replies. I am thinking he sneaked 2 extra zeroes in his numbers.

Not everyone will reply to your poll. Just because you don't see an increase on your server doesn't mean there wasn't one. I know there was a huge spike on permafrost.

Starbuck1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #43
Griffildur

Loremaster

Starbuck1771 wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Not everyone will reply to your poll. Just because you don't see an increase on your server doesn't mean there wasn't one. I know there was a huge spike on permafrost.

Actually, the level of activity is pretty clear and a very good indication of number of players. I wonder if any other Splitpaw people can share their experience.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:39 PM   #44
Starbuck1771

Loremaster

agnott wrote:

John Smedley has been uncharistically "chatty" about games outside his own. One in particular.

I think Mr Smedley is quite agitated that a new MMO has shown rock soild proof that the sub model is alive and well in the MMO industry.

If your speaking about TOR the only reason people are paying is due to the Star Wars name. If you want to play a Star Wars MMO it is your only choice due to Biowares no Compitition clause in the contract. Personaly I can wait for The Secret World in April.

Starbuck1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:45 PM   #45
Onorem

Loremaster

Starbuck1771 wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

I do agree that random "polls" asking for people to reply aren't really worth much.

I didn't notice any spike, let alone a huge one, on permafrost though...at least nothing more than I'd expect from a new "expansion" that included a new class.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:53 PM   #46
Felshades

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

300% increase doesn't mean 300% on one server. or each server.

It means across all servers.

Felshades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:00 PM   #47
Griffildur

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

300% increase doesn't mean 300% on one server. or each server.

It means across all servers.

Yes I know I didn't express myself very well , since they're actually talking about new players only. You must have missed that SMILEY

Old 01-11-2012, 08:00 PM   #48
Valdaglerion

Loremaster

thesiren wrote:

Well, John Smedley apparently disagrees with some here on the forums, and is busy Twittering EQ2's newfound F2P success.

https://twitter.com/j_smedley?_twitter_noscript=1

There has been a 40% increase in logins since F2P launched (so much for the old guard quitting, lol), with a 300% increase in new players all around, and a 200% increase in item sales since live converted to Extended's F2P model.  Plus, Smedley adds that they've gotten a lot of new subs lately as well (guess they're squeezing people right where it hurts the most with the plat cap, AA slider locking, etc.).

I guess it's time for me to peek out from booming Freeport onto my old family guild on Unrest.  Maybe there are actually new players there now!  How's Unrest doing these days anyway?

SOE is not a transparent company from a numbers perspective but they are pretty easy to see through.

Easy to toss out numbers when you no one can validate any of it and crucial information is left out. Things like "new players" versus "new accounts" which is how they count, paid versus unpaid accounts.

200% increase in item sales....wonder if this had anything to do with the fact you could buy the expansion only digitally from SOE...so you either pre-ordered or purchased it on SC at some varying price depending on how much you paid for SC during any of the numerous specials they had.

Valdaglerion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:36 PM   #49
S1lence

Loremaster

EQ2 is still more fun than any other game out right now and the time (and now money/$C) invested into a toon will keep that viewpoint prejudiced.

It's is still dying though, and will continue to do so until they stop using broken mechanics and encounters as a tool for slowing progression to sell more fluff. The original developers had a vision of a beautiful game that captured your imagination, but at some point they lost control over content because the only objective now is to capture your wallet.

S1lence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #50
Laenai
Server: Oasis
Guild: Tyranny

Loremaster

Remember that post where I said "After they give all these inactive accounts a silver paid status, they'll say they have all these new subs."

TAAAAAAAAAAADAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Old 01-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #51
dawy

Loremaster

I do hate these sort of figures they're at this state of the game,1 month on from launch and an expansion(no matter how dire and content lite it is) fairly meaningless to me as it can be spun anyway they want.

I'm on splitpaw and as expected with the release of AOD there server was quite full,not fit to bursting,far from it but better than the ghost town it was earlier in the autumn but since SW:TOR release and the return to work after xmas the server has gotten ever more quiet.

The real effect of the F2P will surely only be known in the coming months not before.

dawy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:38 PM   #52
Dreyco

Archive of Ik

Community before Free to Play:  OMG!  This game is awesome, but you aren't doing anything to get new people coming in!  It's a ghost town everywhere!  Nobody has any reason to come and play this game!  NO NEW PEOPLE ARE PLAYING!! WAAAAAHHH!!!

*New Numbers are released saying the game is growing with Free to Play*

Community Now: THOSE NUMBERS ARE LIES!  FILTHY DIRTY LIES!

*Rolls eyes*

Are you guys for real?  The game shows growth and they give us numbers that we've been asking for and you shoot them down for it?  Give me a break.

It's great to see the game growing.

Does it still need work?  Yes.  But... wow, some people would complain if SOE wrote them a check for 50 dollars.  I can see it now...

"SOE IS TRYING TO BUY MY HAPPINESS!!"

*Sighs*

Grand Historian of The Archive of Ik
Dreyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:03 PM   #53
willnotuse

Loremaster

dawy wrote:

The real effect of the F2P will surely only be known in the coming months not before.

The same comments were being made about Freeport and how much of a "failure" it was according to Gaige and others.  I'll be glad when all the alt accounts of the EQ2Flamers are finally banned.

willnotuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:08 PM   #54
dawy

Loremaster

willnotuse wrote:

dawy wrote:

The same comments were being made about Freeport and how much of a "failure" it was according to Gaige and others.  I'll be glad when all the alt accounts of the EQ2Flamers are finally banned.

Eh?

Its a forum and as such and within reason people can do express differing views,i stand by what i said its way to early to be heralding the F2P model as a total success after all what i assume SOE want is for the free players to turn into subbed players for the most part (while still spending in the cash shop),so i'll say it again its far too early to tell if its an unqualified success or not.

As for the "Freeport" server i dont comment on as i never played on it never really had a reason to go over there tbh but from what i've read it seemed to have worked but again i've no first hand knowledge so i dont really comment on it,cept for this one of course

dawy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:09 PM   #55
Tyrsei

Historian

Dreyco wrote:

Community before Free to Play:  OMG!  This game is awesome, but you aren't doing anything to get new people coming in!  It's a ghost town everywhere!  Nobody has any reason to come and play this game!  NO NEW PEOPLE ARE PLAYING!! WAAAAAHHH!!!

*New Numbers are released saying the game is growing with Free to Play*

Community Now: THOSE NUMBERS ARE LIES!  FILTHY DIRTY LIES!

*Rolls eyes*

Are you guys for real?  The game shows growth and they give us numbers that we've been asking for and you shoot them down for it?  Give me a break.

It's great to see the game growing.

Does it still need work?  Yes.  But... wow, some people would complain if SOE wrote them a check for 50 dollars.  I can see it now...

"SOE IS TRYING TO BUY MY HAPPINESS!!"

*Sighs*

^^^Winner^^^

SOE can't win regardless of what they say,their evil I tells ya.

Tyrsei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:12 PM   #56
Raknid

Loremaster

That bit of information DOES NOT state the game is growing. There is not enough information from his statment to say the game is growing. For all we know the number of people who have left the game has risen by 400%.

I will say what I said before. The game is treading water at best when you compare the server loads pre expansion vs post expansion.

Please point me to the statement by Smedley that says the game population as a whole is growing.

Raknid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:19 AM   #57
Adaeon

Tester

As has been pointed out many times in this thread, an increase in NEW players by a percentage is not the same as an increase in total players by that percentage, nor is there any indication of the relative time frames. Perhaps in the month after F2P hit, they have seen an increase total relative to a single day beforehand.

Increased logons has also been addressed. Given the way trade apprentices work, I would think that alts are seeing more activity.

Also, the increase in item sales may very well include dungeon mark purchased items.

New subscriptions...I don't know exactly what he is referring to. Is Bronze a sub? Are lapsed accounts logging in as 'silver' counted? Are all the old accounts being granted silver status also being counted as 'new item sales'?

I hope that the game is posting at least sustainable profits, as I am still enjoying myself. However, assuming (if one cares to) that Mr. Smedley is being honest and accurate, this still tells us very little.

I would personally be interested in knowing if EQ2's total income has increased or decreased since going F2P. I can't help but notice that particular question was NOT addressed.

Adaeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:17 AM   #58
Ilavatar

Loremaster

I'm not surprised they saw an increase in new accounts. The F2P program is actually pretty generous to new players. It's the returning vets that mostly have the problems.

The increase in item sales also makes sense if it includes the double and triple cash promotions on top of the need to unlock items.

It's good ... but it still needs some work. It could be a lot more successful if tweaked properly.

Ilavatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:31 AM   #59
Tatwi

Loremaster

I would play more often if I...

• did not have three kids and a wife
  • did not have a job
  • had not signed up for a year of WoW for the "free" Diablo III (and feel compelled to justify the commitment by actually playing the game)
  • didn't already have a million hobbies and very little free time...

I did buy all the expansions though, so when I do log in I have stuff to do! EQ2 is the best, most feature rich MMO on the market. I only wish it were better optimized for shader graphics cards, like my GTS 450...

Tatwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:15 AM   #60
Griffildur

Loremaster

Tyrsei wrote:

^^^Winner^^^

SOE can't win regardless of what they say,their evil I tells ya.

Yeah well, you see people that have been here for several years ( not a month like you &nbspSMILEY have already seen the lies SOE throws at us all the time and we're calling them on those. Those lies do no go down very well, it's always a few new people who still believe them.