EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-10-2012, 03:37 AM   #1
TwistedFaith

Loremaster

So AOD has been out for a month now what are your thoughts about the "expansion", did everyone feel it was worthy of the name 'Age of Discovery'? My own opinion is that it is somewhat of a disapointment. The main features of the expansion all seem to have died a death, with mercs being the only feature that I use, and even they are now flawed simply because there's nothing new to do with them. 

The dungeon maker stuff was crazy popular for the first week but has since disapeared. We had guildies designing zones and being really into it for the first week then because nobody wanted to run them they simply gave up on them. I personally found them horrid and pointless from the outset and I don't see how SOE hope to get people interested in them beyond making loot so insanely good that people will be forced to do them. Something I can see happening honestly.

The apprentices I would not really call content, making one item a day is hardly engrossing content. I like the idea of the recipes but again, it's just a massive timesink that really doesn't count as content in my eyes.

Mercs are fun, I don't know anyone who has a issue with them beyond some silly bugs. If there's one feature that would be nice to see enhanced it's these. Look at how SWTOR handles companions. The only downside of mercs is that there's nothing to do with them. The content has for most people simply been played to death, LFG for Ascent for the 1000000 time etc.

Reforging is something that I think I have done once, again a feature with no new content. It's a nice idea but there's no depth to it at all.

The game needs a ton of new content to keep people playing, Butcherblock is becoming a wasteland, simply because there's nothing to do, there's no new zones, new epic questlines, nothing. The 20 AAs were just gotten so insanely, my ALT got his done in 35mins on double XP day. 

I hope the so called new content supposedly coming in February is good because I am seeing more and more people simply abandon the game. What happened to amazing questlines like the claymore that took you weeks, all we seem to get now is a endless supply of marketplace "content" and rubbish features that die a death.

TwistedFaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:26 AM   #2
Miapa

Loremaster

Definitately not worth it.  Honestly, it should've been between $10 and $15.

Mercenary.  Rating: Fair.  I really only use the Bard mercs and maybe a healer.  I don't see a point in the others.

AA Increase.  Rating: Bad.  20 AA increase and nothing new?  Meh.

Tradeskill Assistant.  Rating: Fair.  I wish that new crafting recipes actually had to do with the crafting class.

Dungeon Maker.  Rating: Bad.  I ran one dungeon and was bored out of my mind.  There is no scripting or layout design.  Everything just seems generic because of it.

Beastlord.  Rating: Good.  I think this class is well designed, even if it is slightly overpowered and other classes desperately need a rework.

Reforging.  Rating: Fair.  I tested it once to convert a badly designed item from a raid to something else and it seemed as if I completely lost one stat and gained barely anything of the second stat.

This expansion feels like a quick cash-grab from 2 weeks of development work to make up for the lost money during the major outage due to their network security.  That and make some money for EQNext.

Miapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:51 AM   #3
Arcturys

Lord

Well I guess we all knew what to expect in at least one regard: there is no new content. I really wish SOE would've just kept it honest and stuck with the "adventure pack" advertising they were originally using, instead of the later "expansion pack" labeling which was quite misleading.

All AoD included was simply new features. I think most people enjoy the majority of these features, but after the fact I really do have to say I feel rather cheated by the full expansion pack price they placed on a collection of simple features. Velious was the same price, and offered enough content to keep us entertained for months, and more is on the way. AoD didn't offer anywhere near the same entertainment value.

As the OP said, the Dungeon Maker already seems on the decline a mere month after it was released. And I don't care what definition someone tries to apply, it did not count as "content." Tradeskill apprentices are certaintly being used consistently and frequently by everyone that got one, but that accounts for a few minutes a day, and unfortunately I have to say it's more along the lines of "Okay, here's the WORK I need to get done today before I can PLAY." It's like homework or chores that just need to be finished first. It certainly isn't content, and I think if we are honest, most people do their daily TA training and quests for the chance at a colossal reactant rather than for the recipes themselves.

What do I find myself doing pretty much every day? The exact same things I was doing before AoD even came out, aside from the aforementioned daily "chores." I'm playing in the exact same zones and dungeons, doing the exact same quest timelines, and farming the exact same gear for my alts. Nothing has really changed after I spent my $40. To put it another way, if I had NOT spent that $40, I would still be playing the same way today as I am playing right now. Minus the "chores."

The mercs are pretty bugged. They are really no better than PUGs, in that they seem to randomly do their job or just pull some kind of NPC version of AFK. Again, they aren't new content, and don't really add anything to the game. They just allow you to play when you can't find a group (which we could actually do before AoD), or they are just barely good enough to allow you to solo in places that were a tad too tough before, but they aren't good enough to allow you to go to places that were way out of your league before. Again, they are simply allowing you to bide your time in PRE-EXISTING content. Content that was already there before we spent $40.

The reforging is a nice feature. The particle effects are okay I suppose, but rather redundant since we were already capable of custom weapon appearances via the appearance inventory. Most of them are nothing special. It's only the highest tier essences that have the more impressive particle effects (although some are over the top). The part I've gotten some use out of is the reforging of blue stats. That's been fairly handy when you have gear that was good, but maybe wasted a blue stat on something you didn't really need or care for. Being able to change those into something more useful is great, but then the limitations on which stats can be changed and what they can be changed into greatly diminishes the potential of the system.

I'd say the only true new experience offered by AoD is the beastlord. Personally I have no interest in the class, but for those that are enjoying it, because of the way the class is built, it offers a fun new way to play. However, I can't imagine it's all that new and exciting once you get used to the class, since you still have to level up through the same old zones and the same old quest lines - the ones that were already there before you spent your $40.

EDIT: Oops, forgot about the AA increase. Well, the 20 was kind of useful, in that I was able to pick a couple more abilities than I had before, but the AA caps on all but the Tradeskill tab remained the same. I was stuck to pretty much the same choices as before. The other problem was that they didn't change the XP needed for those 20 AAs. I don't know about 35 minutes as the OP stated, but I did finish the 20 AA on my two mains on double XP day. It only took a few dungeon runs. So now what? Back to the stuff I was doing before. You know, the stuff I was doing back before I spent the $40.

In summary, I'm pretty much playing the exact same game I was playing before, but I spent $40 in there somewhere and seem to have very little to show for it.

Arcturys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:29 AM   #4
Wurm

Loremaster

Arcturys wrote:

In summary, I'm pretty much playing the exact same game I was playing before, but I spent $40 in there somewhere and seem to have very little to show for it.

My opinion exactly.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:44 AM   #5
daalberith

Lord

Beastlords are alright, but overpowered. I expect them to get toned down a bit, but who doesn't expect a new class to get adjusted a bit after being added to a game?

I have yet to use a merc. I don't really have a need for them. Maybe if I was trying to level up a troub or templer solo I'd consider it just to speed things up. I decided to re-roll my old defiler insted of pay for a server transfer and see no need for it on him, though, so maybe not.

The dungeon maker has a lot of potential I think. It's a nice tool for RPers and story tellers if nothing else. How it shapes up in the long run I think will have a lot to do with how the devs handle and support it. Seeing some of the most popular dungeons being farms is disappointing, but not surprising for someone who witnessed a similar system and how it was used in another game.

I'm not overly impressed with reforging for the most part, but I admittedly have barely used it.

I don't generally craft so apprentices mean nothing to me. Others seem to be liking them, though, so more power to them.

Overall I pretty much knew this expansion wasn't worth it going in. That seemed evident to me from the lack of information SOE was putting out about the details of it. My wife did talk me into getting the collector's edition for one account, though, for the house and the mount for all of my characters. I only purchased the base version of AoD for my other active account because of tripple SC. Otherwise I'd likely have skipped it. The only thing that has seemed more of a rip off to me so far has been Freebloods, to be honest.

Hanlon's Razor: "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."
daalberith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:48 AM   #6
Matanzas

Loremaster

GU63 better be pretty freaking amazing for the lack of content given in AoD.  There must be something they were working on.

Matanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:49 AM   #7
gourdon

Loremaster

Mercs open up the game for when you're playing solo or in a small group.  They definitely aren't the most competent, but they are better than some players.  Are they at the 20th percentile, which is what I suggested before AoD?  I'm not sure.  The healers are really good at noticing effects and curing.  They are not so good at healing.  It would be nice if we could take better control of their activity.

First, we really need more control over their leash with the ability to adjust the distance at which they react and what distance they close to.  It would also be nice to be able to adjust their priorities.  They should know whether they are supposed to get aggro or to avoid it.  There should be the ability to balance between cure, heal and dps on clerics.  These things might be difficult to do and it might just be better to let us have some spell/CA buttons for our mercs on our bars.  Think of it as the ability to request a particular activity.  It would also be nice to be able to do something to improve our mercs.  This might affect the cost to hire them, but having activities invested in improving them would make them more interesting.

The drop rate of the colossal reactants should be cumulative until one is dropped in order to even out the distribution of them.  This is not a complaint about the availabity of them in the game.  They are nicely rare.  There shouldn't be a change in the expected overall drop rate.  The problem is that on the TS apprentices, all other rewards are virtually worthless in comparision.  This makes it more a lottery than a product of how many crafters you have.  In dungeons, there are a lot of different items that drop, many with comparable value, so the lottery aspect is greatly reduced.

As far as TS apprentices go, it is nice to see that there is an alternative path to having something decent that doesn't require raiding.  I would have preferred that the recipes just include many rares harvests and adornment materials to produce across all tiers of the game.  It would be pretty cool if to make a level 90 item, you started with a level 10 item and upgraded it to 20, 30 etc, up to 90, using rare harvests and adornment material all the way up.

The Dungeon Maker is going to need improvement in the tools we have to add extra elements to encounters.  Just being able to play your own character in them will improve them.  We also need time for the good ones to come out.  Further, there needs to be a way to avoid having craptastic token grind dungeons end up in the Hall of Fame.  The poop is floating to the top in this case.  That will change to some degree when characters can play in them.  This will particularly the case if they are viewed as places to get XP.  Give them elevated XP to make up for the lack of quests or give a quest at the entrance to finish the dungeon.  I would also consider making the rewards maybe half the usual random drops a creature of their level and difficulty would drop instead of Dungeon Marks.  This will reduce the exploitability of an all boss dungeon.  Maybe there should just be a limit on the number of boss level treasure drops per mob in the dungeon.  Give a few of the DMs out as the quest reward, but keep the number extremely low for real characters versus avatars since they will get normal treasure.  This will prevent high powered characters from razing weak dungeons to farm DMs.

At first I though reforging was a total waste.  However, it seems like part of that perception was based on the fact that I value stats differently than the Devs do.  They have removed crit mit and crit chance from the list of abilities to alter, so they really should allow a stat to be completely removed and for the efficiency of transfer to be 100%, especially since this ends up being a tool to fix itemization lapses.

Beastlords need to be nerfed early and often.  I'm not a fan of the play style, so I have little else to say about them.

The AAs are a ridiculous disappointment.  Only 20 stinks.  My main has adventure XP turned off and already is at 312, almost 313 AAs, and this is a character with 5000ish quests done.  I really wish there were another advancement point category beyond AAs with minimal utility to give us essentially unlimited character advancement without creating a meaningful power divide.

If we don't get a new overland zone and some dungeons in the Q1 GU, then people can complain about content quantity.  The Freeport revamp is a little bit light for a GU, but it isn't all that bad.

Finally, the bugs are getting out of hand.  There needs to be elevated effort toward bug squashing.  However, I have no idea where they can get the manpower.  Maybe they can have some Saturday bug days in exchange for something nice for the Devs as compensation?

Old 01-10-2012, 06:10 AM   #8
LaeliaJS

Loremaster

My opinion....

Dungeon Maker -- Building them is way more fun than playing them

Tradeskill Apprentices -- Colossal reactant lotto machines

Beastlord -- Taking away meatbeast warders was not nice

Mercenaries -- I looked around for the billy doll epic merc but couldn't find it

Reforging -- My inquisitor has 340 multiattack now, woohoo

Edit:

AA -- I put my last 4 points into run speed because there was nothing left to buy

Conclusion -- I only really bought AOD for the lavastorm house and so I'd never have to do the griffin quest again.

LaeliaJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:10 AM   #9
Arcturys

Lord

gourdon wrote:

I really wish there were another advancement point category beyond AAs with minimal utility to give us essentially unlimited character advancement without creating a meaningful power divide.

Been saying this for a while myself. It's one thing EQ1 had that EQ2 is sorely lacking. There is virtually an unlimited number of ways to customize and improve your character in EQ1, and there's always something more to do. I've already hit 90/90/320 on two of my characters (more are getting close), and I've only been playing for a year now. A year is probably considered slow for some people, but I play pretty casually and don't even grind that stuff out hardcore (too boring for me). But even with my laidback play style, it's too easy to hit the caps, and then there's not really anything else to do. Sure there are other quests I never completed, but why bother now? I'm at the cap, the XP is a total loss, and 95% of the quest rewards are now useless to me. In other words, it's too easy to get capped in EQ2, and then boredom follows. We've lost too many guildies in the last few months, and they were uttering those words: "I'm bored."

There needs to be an alternate Alternate Advancement category. Based on EQ1, it would include things like gradual stat increases (health, power, attributes, etc.), and even things that in EQ2 would be equivalent to blue stats on items. They also used a scaling cost system to make some AA harder/take longer to earn. For example, tier one might cost 2 AA, tier two would cost 4, tier three would cost 6, etc. For that you might have gotten a +1% health gain per tier, or mana (power), or armor class (mitigation), and so on. Nothing major and unbalancing, but it gives us something more to do, and makes our characters better. In EQ2, it's pretty much just the gear. There's not much else you can do to improve your character. Ultimately most people end up with the same cookie cutter setup, because there are too few different-yet-viable options.

There are thousands and thousands of points worth of stuff in EQ1's AA system. There's always more to do. That might be too much (it can be overwhelming), but we really need something more than what we've got at the moment. And an extra 20 AAs to the cap with no new AAs isn't the answer.

Arcturys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:41 AM   #10
Elomort

Loremaster

Overall I am very happy with the feature pack/DLC (I also agree that SOE got the terminology wrong on this).

I have had a lot of fun playing my beastlord and I am really getting a lot of use from my mercs, especially my elite one who has opened up a huge number of doors for my previously DPS weak warden.

Moving forward I hope they live up to the "new zones for free" mantra and keep releasing paid for feature packs/DLCs ** As long as they stop calling them expansions **

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.
Elomort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:46 AM   #11
Miapa

Loremaster

Arcturys wrote:

gourdon wrote:

I really wish there were another advancement point category beyond AAs with minimal utility to give us essentially unlimited character advancement without creating a meaningful power divide.

Been saying this for a while myself. It's one thing EQ1 had that EQ2 is sorely lacking. There is virtually an unlimited number of ways to customize and improve your character in EQ1, and there's always something more to do. I've already hit 90/90/320 on two of my characters (more are getting close), and I've only been playing for a year now. A year is probably considered slow for some people, but I play pretty casually and don't even grind that stuff out hardcore (too boring for me). But even with my laidback play style, it's too easy to hit the caps, and then there's not really anything else to do. Sure there are other quests I never completed, but why bother now? I'm at the cap, the XP is a total loss, and 95% of the quest rewards are now useless to me. In other words, it's too easy to get capped in EQ2, and then boredom follows. We've lost too many guildies in the last few months, and they were uttering those words: "I'm bored."

There needs to be an alternate Alternate Advancement category. Based on EQ1, it would include things like gradual stat increases (health, power, attributes, etc.), and even things that in EQ2 would be equivalent to blue stats on items. They also used a scaling cost system to make some AA harder/take longer to earn. For example, tier one might cost 2 AA, tier two would cost 4, tier three would cost 6, etc. For that you might have gotten a +1% health gain per tier, or mana (power), or armor class (mitigation), and so on. Nothing major and unbalancing, but it gives us something more to do, and makes our characters better. In EQ2, it's pretty much just the gear. There's not much else you can do to improve your character. Ultimately most people end up with the same cookie cutter setup, because there are too few different-yet-viable options.

There are thousands and thousands of points worth of stuff in EQ1's AA system. There's always more to do. That might be too much (it can be overwhelming), but we really need something more than what we've got at the moment. And an extra 20 AAs to the cap with no new AAs isn't the answer.

I'd love to see this too.  However, I don't think it'd ever happen.  The progression-type content we're getting in Velious is boring and terribly thought of for the long-term.  Having to do this content over and over to grind out hundreds/thousands of AA is a bad idea.  It worked in EQ1 because loot actually means something and you were farming loot and gaining AA.  A massive AA increase would only work with a completely different type of content.

Miapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:10 AM   #12
kahonen

Loremaster

Way overpriced.

Mercenary.  Never bothered.  I'm sure some find them useful but if I want a healer, I'll group with one.

AA Increase.  20 AA increase and nothing new to use them on?  Do SOE even play this game?

Tradeskill Assistant.  Waste of time for 99% of players that will never see a rare to make the new recipes with.  Nice recipes but the chance to actually use any of them is very slim due to cost of Colossal Reactants and the purely random nature of them dropping.  Guy in my guild has received 3 of them for making simple, level 80, difficult-to-fail constructs for the daily quest.  Best others have managed is a bunch of berries.

Dungeon Maker.  Waste of time.  Tried a couple and decided to wait for SOE content (you do remember SOE - the people we pay to provide content?).

Beastlord.  Enjoying this aspect of AoD.  Good class but probably going to be hit with a nerf bat in the near future.  SOE have a habit of making things look attractive when they are initially introduced and than taking toys away. 

Reforging.  Why bother?  Allows us to replace one garbage stat with a even less of a slightly less garbage stat.  Also allows you to add sparkly effects to weapons thereby increasing lag which in turn means you need to turn graphics settings down so you can't see them.

SOE haven't done themselves any favours with AoD.  Especially so considering promises made about "free" new content to follow shortly.  If that doesn't arrive and, more importantly, perform properly, that could be the end of the road for an awful  lot of people.

kahonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:30 AM   #13
isest

Loremaster

I got invited to beta 3 days before it went live, and I was glad that I did.  I cancelled my pre order for me and the wife's account.   40 bucks for aod,  you got to be joking.   I still say that.  A big 0 no content, and they want 40 bucks.  They can keep it until its 10 bucks, and no I am not buying any station cash to get it.

Now if they offer it for 10 bucks, I might get it,  however I only logged in 5 times since aod went live, as I been off in another universe far far away.  The freeport revamp was the straw that broke this old dinosaurs back.

isest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:45 AM   #14
Mystfit

Loremaster

Reforging-haven't tried it

Mercs-nice, but hasn't really allowed a family of three to turn into a group of 6 in much DOV content, which I'd kind of hoped for.

BL's-haven't played mine (except AA weekend) since Meatbeast was removed. The spirit of that class SHOULDN"T have been on back of one mob, but I'm a girl, sue me!

Apprentice-tired of common raw rewards but I like them!

Dungeon Maker-I'd like to see more options open up, but a good start!!!

Did I get my money's worth, I think so. I spent $30 at Hardee's last night with the family. Food was gone in 5 minutes.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:23 AM   #15
Shawnyve

Loremaster

I knew it was a feature pack - I thought they made that mighty clear when they were marketing it.

Money wise, I bought some Station Cash on a triple cash day and got both expansions digital collector's editions for $50, so I think it was worth the price.

Putting it on the right altar is another.
Shawnyve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:31 AM   #16
Griffildur
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: First Lords

Loremaster

I bought it whwn triple cash promo was running so it was not much at all. 

Personally i find it not worth it. BL is interesting but does not make up for the lack of any content.

My guild used to be in the top raiding guilds on Splitpaw - mainly the first one after the hardcore guilds. Now we don't even raid x4 anymore, there's not enough people for that.  Most are bored silly and refuse to raid the same old stuff, others have gone onto other games.

I find myself not having the motivation to do anything , can't even be bothered to finish the BL epic.

I expect I'll cancel my sub soon.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:18 AM   #17
Elomort

Loremaster

kahonen wrote:

Tradeskill Assistant.  Waste of time for 99% of players that will never see a rare to make the new recipes with.

I know that tomorrow I will be making a killing on the broker as I sell food and drink that adds 2% more dps for mages. I am a few days off food that ups the healing but will get there.

I am not sure yet on the 3% extra block food/drink but i think that will be after the healers.

Not bad getting those stats out of food with just common materials.

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.
Elomort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:53 AM   #18
Lochr

Loremaster

AoD is the new horse armor.

It's absolutely terrible. $40 for 20 AAs? 20 AAs you didn't want when you had already spent 245?

The mercenaries suck. They just aren't good enough to allow you to do anything you couldn't solo before.

The tradeskill apprentice in theory could be nice, but the ridiculous rarity of the colossal reactants means that you'll never be able to make anything in the level 90 tier that you research.

The dungeon maker feature I suppose would be cool if you are a decorator. Last month. The rating feature means that any new dungeon you make isn't going to ever show up in the top ten list, and who is going to search for a dungeon outside that? They are unbearably boring to play. You get a monster avatar with 1 lousy attack on a fast timer, and a lousier AE attack on a slow timer. How fun does it sound to mash the 1 key over and over? You DO get to press the 2 button occasionally...

I had a subscription since day 1. I cancelled last week because I didn't want to give Sony another $40 three weeks after they basically stole $40 from me.

Lochr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:17 PM   #19
Grumble69

Loremaster

SOE's business model of free content + paid features needs to be set on fire and put out with a good ol whizzing contest.  The only thought that goes through my mind is--"why did I pay for this?".  I haven't done that with any prior expansion.  The old model was just fine.  Go back to content-based expansions.  If I have to pay for DoV Part 2, so be it.  I've had a lot of gripes about DoV's itemization.  But in terms of getting what I paid for, DoV has been a good product.

Grumble69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #20
Torri
Server: Lucan DLere
Guild: Lioncourt

Loremaster

I wouldn't have paid $40 for it, but had enough SC from previous promos so got it for under half off.

Have not rolled a Beastlord

Have not hired a Merc

Have made good use of re-forging to get myself some multi-attack. Couldn't care less about particle effects, just more lag in my eyes.

Have dutifully slaved for my Apprentices (Thought the idea was supposed to be the other way around) and seen no Reactant in close to 200 tries. Two server discos so far from creating items. The gear is nice, would like to see a neck added somewhere. That may be too much to ask for since you're not breaking a set bonus or losing a red slot from raid-dropped stuff to use them.

Got about 3/4 of the way through designing my first Dungeon before running out of desire to place stuff. Inability to make linked encounters really bummed me out. Was frustrating playing as a basic avatar. I will revisit them as my character and see if there is any more enjoyment.

The AA merely reflect the already established minor incremental upgrade we see now in gear. 20 AA for a .02% increase in player power = Zzzzzzzzzzzz

Torri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #21
Khurghan

Loremaster

Beastlords - a lot of fun but don't remotely seem like EQ2, serious question did the devs rip code from eqnext?

Mercs - no clue haven't used them.

Dungeons - no clue haven't used them.

Reforging - So so, overly restrictive mechanics for many classes though. If i have an item with 150dps mod and 1ma I can't reforge any of that dps to MA? Design decision or coding issue?

TS Apprentices - A good idea on paper but the execution seems poor, the ratio of T9 reactants to level 90 tradeskillers with the recipes means at some point soon tradeskillers will be practically paying to do combines not charging for them.

20 AAs - LOL

Echoing what Mrrshan said above the high-end game at least for eng-lang euro players is in desperate need of CPR (although I don't really think AoD is that much of a factor in that).

Khurghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:54 PM   #22
hansomepete

Loremaster

I feel well ripped off, honestly.

I wasn't going to do it much like I wasn't going to do DOV. My guildies talked me into it and I bought the DOV expansion sort of glad I did so I'm not that upset. Again a guildie got it and said the beastlord was worth it, Inever played eq so I didn't really care about that. Said we can reforge our old wepaons but after seeing it and using it It's a great I dea but a lousy way to do it. You have to nerf the heck out of a stat, just to get a little of something else. If it was true reforging you should be able to take a stat from an old weapon and put it on another higher level weapon. That would be a true reforge, not just take a stat and replace it with a low grade extra stat. Greater customization would make work for crafters because people would want to buy stuff to grab the stat off of it.

Apprentices eh its ok, new stuff is cool, reactant prices are through the roof!!!! i've only been able to get the lv80 stuff myself. The extra potion you get from the daily is a nice additive.

If it wasn't for the double station cash I problably would not have bought it. Think it came out to be 19 bucks or something like that. For what I got and paid for yea that's about right for me.

hansomepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:07 PM   #23
S1lence

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

Definitately not worth it.  Honestly, it should've been between $10 and $15.

^^^ This ^^^

Mercenary. Rating: Broken. I love the effort and concept but it just doesn't work as a reliable in-game tool. Only usefulness is as a wildcard in PVP.

AA Increase. Rating:  Meh. Should have allowed at least 2 of the points to be used to get an additional heroic endline.

Tradeskill Assistant. Rating: A++ Here, I swore i wouldnt go back to crafting but the reactants actually put the payday back into the mix now. The recipies are way too imbalanced and i'm sure will be nerfed at some point but that decision isn't made by the crafting devs.

Dungeon Maker. Good. at the start. When DM released there was a huge incentive to run them to farm transmutables as well as getting random doohickeys from the mystery boxes. As usual someone sniveled and it got nerfed resulting in a great idea that gives very little rewards. I really think 2 improvements would be allowing sales displays in DM's and to have Reactants/Rares be purchasable with marks (even if it takes a huge amount).

Beastlord. Rating: Good. class that is continuing to improve. Well thought out Mythical timeline also however the need to go back and kill old DOV content to get an AOD Myth kinda depressed me.

Reforging. Rating: Fair. It needs MUCH more lattitude on what can and can't be modified.

Gameplay: HORRIBLE. low framerates, constant LD's along with even worse zoning times made me feel as if i've gone back to the PS2 "Loading" Screen.

S1lence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #24
Avirodar
Server: Oasis
Guild: Tyranny

Loremaster

TwistedFaith wrote:

So AOD has been out for a month now what are your thoughts about the "expansion", did everyone feel it was worthy of the name 'Age of Discovery'?

The "discovery", as I view it, is how little SOE cares about this game anymore.All of the news and webcast releases by SOE staff before AoD, completely lacked any kind of excitement and passion. Other than SmokeJumper trying to lay on the spin, the other staff seemed bored and disinterested. Reforging : SOE's way of saying "The ItemBotScript2000 we use to make gear, is useless"Beastlord : SOE selling out.Mercenaries : As if EQ2 needed to become more of a single player game...Dungeon Maker : Flopped as hard as Dungeon Finder. SOE ignored the players, yet again.Tradeskill Apps : A joke that made "dedicated tradeskillers" think they were important, until they tried using it.20 AA's : SOE adding something so that people who did not care about the other junk, might pay $40 for 20 AAs.It is my belief that SOE does not want MMO players, anymore. They want cow clickers.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:39 PM   #25
Raffir

Loremaster

I like the Beast Lord class, though I don't play it much because I'm working on other classes right now.  I don't use Mercs cause I don't need them and I don't use the dungeon maker.  I have yet to try out tradeskill apprentices and reforging...but will get around to it one of these days.

But given the number of alts I play, the flying mount perk will more than make the expenditure pay for itself  since I hate the squawking gryphs with a passion and usually buy another mount as soon as I can.

Raf

Raffir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:44 PM   #26
Chronus1

Loremaster

Other than giving me a merc that cures mandates that I can name Mandatecure and giving a really good source of alt loot/plat (farming reactants from ToT and eow) I don't really see much here. Woo, 2% more potency food and drink and mage bp! It's like an entire adornment's worth of potency!

Mercs: AI is poor with cure times being amazingly slow to the extent they let me down on Dreadlord Dsmoni's spores of death. If you just need a cure but not particularly quick (mandates) they're amazing.

Reforging: Scouts are happy, melee priests are happy. Ok-ish way to make up for amazingly poor thought gone into items.

Tradeskill apprentices: Good alt loot/plat source from reactants. Also nice source for MA gear for healers.

Beastlords: Pretty good, OP as heck but that was to be expected. Nerf incoming after brawler nerfs finally hit...

Dungeon maker: I can't even be bothered to do it for the 5% potency temporary adorns. Cool for decorators I guess.

20 AA: It resulted in near nothing of use on my warlock, on my bruiser it's looking like not being too useful and the 4 inqs in the guild said they may as well not bother allocating the points. Finally created some varitation in specs though due to everything being so worthless.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:06 PM   #27
Zorastiz
Guild: Dressed To Kill

Loremaster

Mostly I don't have much good to say about it except the MERCS, my friend, her daughter and I are the only ones left in game from the old days. We don't, can't or are not interested in raiding so we rolled new toons and have each purchased a MERC.

One tank, one healer and one DPS, we run quests without them and HQ's with them, it makes it really fun due to the lack of grouping, broken dungeon finder and absent friends.

They work pretty well for robots, I don't know why you all are complaining about them, they are not supposed to be players with skills and uber gear, they are what they are and for us at least they work well.

Zorastiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:11 PM   #28
Kenazeer

Loremaster

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

...so we rolled new toons and have each purchased a MERC.

I think they are commenting about their performance at cap.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:56 PM   #29
Minzi

Lord

Mercenaries are great for leveling. At 90 they kind of turn into an extra boost to let you do things you couldn't QUITE do solo. Finished the swashbuckler fabled epic with one, for example. About where they should be I think. Dungeon maker as shipped was pretty dull, looking forward to the changes. Tradeskill apprentices have given me a bunch of recipes so far but I'm missing reactants to make anything. Those are going to take a while to trickle down in price. Beastlords have been great for me as I normally play a fighter; everyone wants scout gear and is happy to pass on the fighter gear. Otherwise no experience. 20 extra AAs were great for my main, utterly useless for aforementioned swash. But then, it seems like swashbucklers only have about 200 good AAs including the heroic tab. The best effect I have seen since the xpac is that I am having a crazy easy time getting groups and pickup raids. I picked up 9 gear upgrades since Friday and went from having a huge surplus of pure primal velium shards to needing 18 more just to finish reaugmenting.
Minzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:18 PM   #30
Zorastiz
Guild: Dressed To Kill

Loremaster

Kenazeer wrote:

[email protected] Bayle wrote:

...so we rolled new toons and have each purchased a MERC.

I think they are commenting about their performance at cap.

Maybe so, regardless if people expect that they can buy a Merc and run groups at lvl 90 as if you had 6 good players in them then I think they are expecting too much, but that's just my opinion.

Zorastiz is offline   Reply With Quote