EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-23-2011, 02:09 PM   #1
AjiaAwakener

Loremaster

I'd like to express my disappointment in the latest "expansion" Age of Discovery.  When I first heard about it, I assumed that the content associated with it was just being kept secret so that when it showed up in the beta that it would be a cool surprise.  Much to my disappointment the content I assumed would be part of AoD was simply not there.  The content of Freeport Reborn is nice, but it's not up to the level of an expansion, since it's a facelift to existing zones, not new zones.

The most important thing to add with expansions is overland zones that everyone can see.  The last several content game updates have been invisible to me because they are hiding away inside dungeons and instances.  I have yet to see Drunder.  It is important to also make sure your high end players are busy exploring new heroic and raid zones, but if that's all you add, many of the more casual players or weaker raiders will never see the content and will feel cheated.  In fact, the last several expansions have been short on overland zones IMO.  One or two overland zones is simply not enough to make it feel like an expansion.  I don't care how big they are, zone count (of radically different zones) is of more interest to me.  Sentinal's Fate wasn't too bad, but two huge zones wasn't as satisfying as Echoes of Faydwer that had 6 overland zones.

AjiaAwakener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:47 PM   #2
Artaxiel

Loremaster

Yup. 

They said that more/better content is no longer part of any expansion pack, and that new content will get pushed regularly as part of the "free game" (makes sense, since more dungeons and so forth snares F2P people, and then you make them buy game features.)  However, they released a so-so feature pack with no content updates, with no known content updates in the future and no balance sweeps/bug fixes/tweaks of the content they do have.  Then they turn around and have SmokeJumper proclaim that he doesn't listen to the forums because they're full of trolls.  They're not full of trolls.  They're full of people tired of getting screwed.  So yes, I'm pretty disappointed too, but I must also admit I'm not really surprised.  SOE's business model for this game obviously has nothing to do with what we thought it would, or else they'd be fixing it.  People like you and me are no longer the target audience, apparently.

Artaxiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:54 PM   #3
Meditatious
Server: Kithicor

Loremaster

If you're tired of getting screwed, there's plenty of other games to choose from.  It looks like a copy of Rift is down to $7.50, so I bet they'd welcome you with open arms.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Meditatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:55 PM   #4
SOE-MOD-02

Community Moderator

This post has moved: /eq2/posts/preList.m?topic_id=49996...post_id=5691515 Insults are not permitted.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:57 PM   #5
SOE-MOD-02

Community Moderator

This post has moved: /eq2/posts/preList.m?topic_id=49996...post_id=5691516 Insults are not permitted
Old 12-23-2011, 02:58 PM   #6
Jovie
Server: Guk

Can't decide...

One of the ways people get better product is letting the company know of your frustrations. If you tell them they sold you a crap product and you demand more, there is a chance they will improve the next one.

If nobody tells them of their dissatisfaction, they probably continue to produce crap.

Just helps to be polite about it.

Jovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:00 PM   #7
Artaxiel

Loremaster

You're absolutely right -- I think where the trollishness comes from is when we have no updates or anything, and the forums take on some of the more appealing aspects of Lord of the Flies.  Still, I think the underlying problems continue to remain unresolved.

Artaxiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:35 PM   #8
thait

Loremaster

Artaxiel wrote:

Yup. 

They said that more/better content is no longer part of any expansion pack, and that new content will get pushed regularly as part of the "free game" (makes sense, since more dungeons and so forth snares F2P people, and then you make them buy game features.)  However, they released a so-so feature pack with no content updates, with no known content updates in the future and no balance sweeps/bug fixes/tweaks of the content they do have.  Then they turn around and have SmokeJumper proclaim that he doesn't listen to the forums because they're full of trolls.  They're not full of trolls.  They're full of people tired of getting screwed.  So yes, I'm pretty disappointed too, but I must also admit I'm not really surprised.  SOE's business model for this game obviously has nothing to do with what we thought it would, or else they'd be fixing it.  People like you and me are no longer the target audience, apparently.

No known content updates?  So i take it the other half of DOV coming out in Feb isn't a content update in your mind.

thait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:43 PM   #9
Odys
Server: Storms
Guild: Eternitalis

Loremaster

SOE has been focusing so much on high end players that they forgot the others that reprensent(ed?) a large part of the population.

Due to that Storm is a ghost town, and you mostly find people in EM raid gear raiding or doing a bit of drunder.  The fresh 90 are probably unable to group.

The problem comes certainly from the fact that hard code players are over-represented in either the forums or the tests, so SOE should really perform a serious pooling about what their customers do expect.

In over a year there was absolutely no casual content released but cristaline caverns. That's too few.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:56 PM   #10
Michayla
Server: Najena
Guild: Valhallas Guard

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

One of the ways people get better product is letting the company know of your frustrations. If you tell them they sold you a crap product and you demand more, there is a chance they will improve the next one.

If nobody tells them of their dissatisfaction, they probably continue to produce crap.

Just helps to be polite about it.

Actually, the best way to let a company know of your frustrations is to cancel your subscription, not buy anything from the marketplace, and stop logging into your account. MMO players are notorious for posting "the sky is falling" on forums, but not leaving. 

Companies no longer care at the frothing of the mouth of its customers if they are still getting paid. Want to really make a statement? Put your money where your mouth is and cancel. 

Michayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:04 PM   #11
Luterin

Lord

AoD will become a little better after the weekends, when they allow you to use your real chars for player made Dungeons...

But then again, since you don't need AoD to use player made dungeons...

Luterin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:10 PM   #12
Mohee

Lord

Sure you can do player made dungeons without AOD, but you get no reward from it. If you don't have the expansion, then no tokens for you.

I suggest checking out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EverQu...t_II_expansions 

and compare all the expansions and the Adventure Packs, versus the content being released lately.

It just gets smaller, and smaller, but the new price remains the same.

No really, that link is really worth checking out! =)

EQ'ing since 1999
Mohee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:34 PM   #13
Conandar

Loremaster

thait wrote:

Artaxiel wrote:

Yup. 

No known content updates?  So i take it the other half of DOV coming out in Feb isn't a content update in your mind.

We have heard the promises...they are just vapors, and mighty thin vapors at that, until we have something concrete.

Furthermore, the latest "expansion" was lackluster.

DYOD, to me, is a disapointment.  Playing a mob "avatar" with no loot except tokens that we cay "buy" stuff with was not what I wanted.  Even worse, the dungeons are merely just rehashes of old zones - nothing new.  Playing an avatar with limited ability and way too little power to power those those powers is disapointment.  Yes, we are told that its going to be fixed...now.

Reforging is a disapointment.  I had thought we could do something useful, but what we get is the ability to change useful stats into less useful stats, and the ability to add sparkly fluff.

Beastlords?  Ugh.  I was there in EQ1 when they showed up in that game.  They were terribly overpowered then, and they show signs of the same flaws here.  Furthermore, we now have 25 classes!  25 classes when what we really needed was class consolidation, not expansion.

We, in Freeport (so far), have lost our suburb racial homes. Yes, they were slums, but they were home.  Now we can only visit if on a quest that involves that zone.  YECH!

And 20 more AA points with nothing new to spend it on, and those of us who were at 300AA already had nothing to spend the last few points on.  It feels like the new points are merely to bring the real cap equal to the number that you can have in each tree...except for the new tradeskill tree, which many regard as fluff and useless.  If tradeskills are your thing then great for you.  Now you can spend 40 AA there and just about buy them all. When I first heard of the new point cap I hoped that the tree caps would be raised as well, so I could spend them where I wanted...no new caps in each tree was a serious disapointment.

Yes, this is merely my opinion, but I suspect that much of it is shared.  As the ancient cartoon character Wimpy said,"I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."  I think we bought a $40 hamburger on the promise of content in 3 months.

Conandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:57 PM   #14
Gravy

Lord

AjiaAwakener wrote:

In fact, the last several expansions have been short on overland zones IMO.  One or two overland zones is simply not enough to make it feel like an expansion.  I don't care how big they are, zone count (of radically different zones) is of more interest to me.  Sentinal's Fate wasn't too bad, but two huge zones wasn't as satisfying as Echoes of Faydwer that had 6 overland zones.

I disagree totally.

I'd rather have one seemless zone with a few dungeons than 5 zones where I have to zone in and out all the time. Zone count sucks. The bigger the zone the more immersion IMO.

This is why the Freeport and Qeynos revamps are such great ideas.

Gravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:39 PM   #15
Xephier
Server: Guk

Loremaster

Luterin wrote:

AoD will become a little better after the weekends, when they allow you to use your real chars for player made Dungeons...

But then again, since you don't need AoD to use player made dungeons...

That would be a nice update for me, I think that'd improve those dungeons 10 fold for me, what woulda made them better however is actually leting you "make" the dungeon rather than just decorate a pre-made layout.

Second dungeon related comment: dungeon finder needs to be made cross-server, NOW. I'm sick to death(as a non-guilded person atm) of having to take an hour just to get a group together just to have half/all of the group bail for raids. And sadly this is during primetime, during non-prime times, getting groups together is nothing short of an unfunny joke, it dont happen unless you're in an active guild and popular enough to get in with the regular groupers.

Honestly I think this expac scared off a lot of the already dwindling population, sure SOE explains it well enough, like "we will be offering content in free game updates" however they give us NO date as to when this will be happening(if ever) and what they will be offering, they just tossed us an expac that gave us not more than a few features, and my biggest complaint to date, the whole freeport revamp offered litterally NOTHING to qeynosians, there's a nice new chestpiece a medeocre weapon and an awesome cloak, all of which the quenosians have to wait a year for.

End point being, ya can't do things one way for 6-7 years, then all of a sudden drop the "this expac contains nothing"(please buy anyways) we will give you "something"(content) "sometime"(when they get to it after fixing all the bugs brought in by xpac and server merge - oh, also the bugs caused by the bugfixes, can't forget those!)

Xephier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:12 PM   #16
hoosierdaddy

Loremaster

Unforunately, gone are the days of massively, sprawling overland zones, complete with unique creatures and adventures being provided with each expansion (whatever that words even means any more). KoS, EoF, and RoK were the last and best examples of what SOE can do when devoting their time to developing actual content.

The Bloodline Chronicles, Splitpaw Saga, and Fallen Dynasty adventure packs had more playable content than AoD--and they cost $7.99. These adventure packs also served the purpose of filling the boring gap between expansions, such as the one we've been promised in February, but which will more likely be released in late March.

Based on my playstyle, the only thing that I gained from this "expansion" were twenty relatively useless AAs to allocate and the ability to reforge, or correct what people in charge of itemization should have had the foresight to do themselves. In regards to the playable content provided by AOD, underwhelming is an understatement.

"The human race is the most stupid and unfair kind of race. A lot of the runners don't even get decent sneakers or clean drinking water. Some runners are born with a massive head start, every possible help along the way and still the referees seem to be on their side. It's not surprising a lot of people have given up competing altogether and gone to sit in the grandstand, eat junk and shout abuse. What the human race needs is a lot more streakers." -- Banksy
hoosierdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:18 PM   #17
Nayawk

Loremaster

AjiaAwakener wrote:

When I first heard about it, I assumed that the content associated with it was just being kept secret so that when it showed up in the beta that it would be a cool surprise.  Much to my disappointment the content I assumed would be part of AoD was simply not there. 

SOE were pretty clear from the get go that AoD was a features only expac.  The forum and game were talking about a feature only expac for months.  I can't see how it is fair to pin your dissapointment on SOE when much of it stems from you ignoring what they were saying for months.

Nayawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:28 PM   #18
Elomort

Loremaster

[email protected] wrote:

In over a year there was absolutely no casual content released but cristaline caverns. That's too few.

Oh come on please. Even as a casual I know that DoV was released only 10 months ago. Who can forget timing the release right on Errolissi Day, Moonlight Enchantments and Database problems?

Yes, there has been a real dearth of overland content in that 10 months and I am hoping that a little more attention is paid to overland zones and accessable content very early in the New Year, but to say that only CC was released in the last year is just patently false.

The next GU though I feel will only really address the needs of the PvPers, so sadly I am not really expecting much until maybe July.

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.
Elomort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:02 PM   #19
yohann koldheart

Loremaster

Nayawk wrote:

AjiaAwakener wrote:

When I first heard about it, I assumed that the content associated with it was just being kept secret so that when it showed up in the beta that it would be a cool surprise.  Much to my disappointment the content I assumed would be part of AoD was simply not there. 

SOE were pretty clear from the get go that AoD was a features only expac.  The forum and game were talking about a feature only expac for months.  I can't see how it is fair to pin your dissapointment on SOE when much of it stems from you ignoring what they were saying for months.

^exactly

soe couldn't have been more open and honest about aod not including any zone content,  the OP thinking it was going to be some kind of big surprise is pretty ridiculous  .

yohann koldheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:43 PM   #20
AjiaAwakener

Loremaster

I'll admit that my disappointment about the lack of content in the xpac is partly my own fault.  SOE was very upfront about this being a features-only expansion. But they have been sneaky about things in the past, so I've come to regard anything they say with a grain of salt.  Anyone remember Smokejumper saying we would be able to fly in new Freeport?

Also, while I understand that I have plenty of opportunity to play a different game, I find it more constructive to give feedback on my displeasure with the recent changes rather than simply stopping the recurring subscription.  Since they have gone Free2Play, not paying is no longer a viable method to express my disappointment.  The fact that I bought the xpac already means that's not an option either.  More importantly, I feel that expressing how I feel about the direction of the game is more likely to be constructive than leaving the game that I've loved for seven years.

I'm invested in EQ2.  I have 8-year veteran rewards.  I want the game to get better.  My opinion of what *is* better may be my own and no one else's, but if I don't say something, SOE will assume that I like everything they're doing, and that is certainly not the case.  Thank you everyone who had a constructive comment, they were very interesting to read.  Apparently a couple people were less than civil in their disagreement; I saw moderated posts.  This is unfortunate for many reasons, but the one mentioned earlier in the thread is probably the most important: Smokejumper, the Executive Producer of the EQ brand, does not read the forums "because they're full of trolls".  Shame people can't have a rational discussion about differences of opinion without being inappropriate.

AjiaAwakener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:05 PM   #21
Michayla
Server: Najena
Guild: Valhallas Guard

Loremaster

AjiaAwakener wrote:

I'll admit that my disappointment about the lack of content in the xpac is partly my own fault.  SOE was very upfront about this being a features-only expansion. But they have been sneaky about things in the past, so I've come to regard anything they say with a grain of salt.  Anyone remember Smokejumper saying we would be able to fly in new Freeport?

Also, while I understand that I have plenty of opportunity to play a different game, I find it more constructive to give feedback on my displeasure with the recent changes rather than simply stopping the recurring subscription.  Since they have gone Free2Play, not paying is no longer a viable method to express my disappointment.  The fact that I bought the xpac already means that's not an option either.  More importantly, I feel that expressing how I feel about the direction of the game is more likely to be constructive than leaving the game that I've loved for seven years.

I'm invested in EQ2.  I have 8-year veteran rewards.  I want the game to get better.  My opinion of what *is* better may be my own and no one else's, but if I don't say something, SOE will assume that I like everything they're doing, and that is certainly not the case.  Thank you everyone who had a constructive comment, they were very interesting to read.  Apparently a couple people were less than civil in their disagreement; I saw moderated posts.  This is unfortunate for many reasons, but the one mentioned earlier in the thread is probably the most important: Smokejumper, the Executive Producer of the EQ brand, does not read the forums "because they're full of trolls".  Shame people can't have a rational discussion about differences of opinion without being inappropriate.

Your entire post was griping how AoD is content-less. I fail to see how flying in Freeport equals content. It's not. It's a convenience mechanic, a mechanic that was later explained wouldn't be possible because people even on high end machines were crashing due to resource overload. (Paraphrasing of course) It was explained again and again, but that doesn't seem to be good enough for you. 

As far as it being "more beneficial to speak about your disappointments," that might be true, but canceling said subscription and not logging into your account also speaks volumes. Money talks, and until people who are oh-so-disappointed are willing to put their money where their mouth is, and cancel, then this is the direction EQ2 is going to take. To give you an honest-to-gods real example: Final Fantasy XIV. Square Enix pushed out a breathtakingly beautiful game, but it was horribly rushed. They got the initial subscribers. Only a few months in, players started leaving in droves, canceling their accounts and moving on to other things. Square Enix saw this, practically fired the entire development team and started anew. They went free-to-play, completely free-to-play, hired a new dev team, and started anew. That game was released September 2010. They JUST started charging for the game a couple of weeks ago, after over a year of tweaking and fine tuning the game. And you know why? Because people like me spoke with our wallets. Sure, we griped on the forums. Sure, we complained during beta. But the product was pushed, released, and we were all horribly disappointed. It wasn't until we all canceled our subs and SE looked at their financial records and said "Whoa, we really need to make some changes here." 

So, feel free to complain all you want, but until you (and ALLLLLL the other people whining that AoD was a horrid disappointment despite the fact they KNEW it was content-less but they want to gripe about it anyway) cancel your account, SoE is far less willing to listen to one post on a forum.

Michayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:18 PM   #22
Brigh

Loremaster

AjiaAwakener wrote:

Anyone remember Smokejumper saying we would be able to fly in new Freeport?

As was said before, during beta they found that flying causes frame rates to plummet, so it turned out to be technically unfeasible.

-Stephen Colbert

CoD3 double XP Rank Up promotion lesson for kids
Brigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:26 PM   #23
Nynaeve

Loremaster

AOD was the ONLY expansion that made any sense for me to buy (being only Lv 60).

But the price was indeed way to high, cause all I got was:

MERCS. very useful, although too expensive unfortunately to use too often.

All the other AOD stuff I dont really care about, DYOD looks kinda lame really, and Tradeskill-App., well who cares.

Nynaeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:35 PM   #24
Brigh

Loremaster

Nynaeve wrote:

AOD was the ONLY expansion that made any sense for me to buy (being only Lv 60).

But the price was indeed way to high, cause all I got was:

MERCS. very useful, although too expensive unfortunately to use too often.

All the other AOD stuff I dont really care about, DYOD looks kinda lame really, and Tradeskill-App., well who cares.

How can you not afford mercs at level 60?

In my 20s I could go afk for a week online with the merc active and still afford it.

I am currently sitting on 23p at 28.

Personally I care about tradeskill apprentices giving me profit. I bought a reactant, made a first server item that was no higher than level 30 (don't remember exactly what it was right now), and turned around making a profit of 85g on the broker.

-Stephen Colbert

CoD3 double XP Rank Up promotion lesson for kids
Brigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:14 PM   #25
Mohee

Lord

Brigh wrote:

AjiaAwakener wrote:

As was said before, during beta they found that flying causes frame rates to plummet, so it turned out to be technically unfeasible.

I don't get this. Look at the details/Size of freeport compared to the size/detail of other zones you can fly in, such as Stonebrunt/Sundered Frontier, Great Divide, EW, EoF, with lots of people able to max out their render distance and every other graphic option, and they are fine in this zone.

I highly doubt they really had a problem. or maybe they did at first because of some memory leak they caused and said "screw it, its not worth fixing, lets just scrap the idea and make more marketplace items!"

EQ'ing since 1999
Mohee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 04:23 AM   #26
Kalypso23

Augur

thait wrote:

Artaxiel wrote:

Yup. 

We have no idea what's in the update other than some vague "it's the rest of Velious."  Also, there has been an incredibly crappy update schedule (no schedule), update communications (no communication) and incredibly poor response to beta/testing feedback (hahahahahahahahaha!)  This sucks and it's not getting better, with no schedule for improvement.  Feel better donning that white armor?

Kalypso23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 06:43 AM   #27
Elomort

Loremaster

Mohee wrote:

Brigh wrote:

AjiaAwakener wrote:

I don't get this. Look at the details/Size of freeport compared to the size/detail of other zones you can fly in, such as Stonebrunt/Sundered Frontier, Great Divide, EW, EoF, with lots of people able to max out their render distance and every other graphic option, and they are fine in this zone.

Ever wondered why there are lots of cliffs and rock walls and items in every zone to actually block a lot of your view?

Ever wondered why people doing Storm Gorge (which has a large number of NPCs in view) had mobs or themselves fall through the world during a double raid or even a mere 6 party raid? Ever heard the cries of people there to get of the flying mount?

It's one thing having a lot of items in a zone, it's a whole different kettle of fish when you can see the lot of them and then on top have the wings of a few hundred people using up your ability to render polygons.

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.
Elomort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 06:44 AM   #28
loopylynx

Loremaster

I'm really sick of seeing you people complain about how useless AoD is.  I'm glad I bought it.  In fact, I'm glad I bought it for two accounts.

For one thing, mercs open up a WHOLE new world to people that don't group or raid much, and allows them to see an entirely new side of the game.

For those of us that have played every class over the years, beastlords make it nice to have a different perspective and have some new buttons to push.  Not to mention the inherent "exploration" mode you go into when you keep saying, "can I tame that?  How about that one?"

Tradeskill apprentices are there to put some focus back on tradeskilling by giving crafters AWESOME recipes.  I completely agree with this.  They're working pretty hard on making tradeskilling useful, and I'm glad about it.

Dungeon maker allows you to see something new, ALL THE TIME.  And sometimes, it's nice to group just for the sake of having fun.  This way you can do it with anyone.

What I would personally like to see is them do something about this stupid instance formula everybody is caught up in.  Which is "Run (x) instance 3000 times for (y) peice of gear, move on to next instance.  Or buy (y) peice of gear for 1000p."

loopylynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:06 AM   #29
Wurm

Loremaster

Elomort wrote:

Mohee wrote:

Brigh wrote:

AjiaAwakener wrote:

Ever wondered why there are lots of cliffs and rock walls and items in every zone to actually block a lot of your view?

Ever wondered why people doing Storm Gorge (which has a large number of NPCs in view) had mobs or themselves fall through the world during a double raid or even a mere 6 party raid? Ever heard the cries of people there to get of the flying mount?

It's one thing having a lot of items in a zone, it's a whole different kettle of fish when you can see the lot of them and then on top have the wings of a few hundred people using up your ability to render polygons.

All the KOS zones handle this just fine... hmmmmmm.

Old 12-25-2011, 09:08 AM   #30
Chakos

Loremaster

AjiaAwakener wrote:

I'll admit that my disappointment about the lack of content in the xpac is ENTIRELY my own fault. 

Fixed that first statement for you -- regardless of any "surprises" SoE may have pulled in the past, assuming there to be one incoming is entirely on you, not SoE (to ANY degree). Your disappointment was self-inflicted.

Chakos is offline   Reply With Quote