EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > PVP Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-07-2009, 11:17 AM   #61
Azol

Loremaster

I believe these groups you saw were composed of some terribly-equipped badly-played characters. Okay, wizard can have some displacement gear (that was nerfed recently, just FYI) and he used MS obviously. Let us face it, if a group cannot pop/breach MS for 30 seconds it's a terrible group and they all should probably quit the game. Just go to EQ2Players, hit PVP Leaderboards, hit Total kills - only 2 Wizards in top 100, but plenty of rangers, brigands and assassins. Are we so massively overpowered?

And again, just FYI, Bolt of Ice (and Fission) lines of spells was already  toned down  for PVP (GU36, I believe), so nowadays BOI deals just a bit more of damage as other nukes, but with 1.5 seconds longer cast. That is what I call ridiculous.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:24 AM   #62
Valdar

Loremaster

Aeralik wrote:

Magius789 wrote:

Whatever happened to that update where they made it so that one attack or spell could only do a max dmg of 40% of the persons overall health?

It still exists and can be turned on at anytime.  Players didnt like it previously but at the time we also didnt have people with 100% crit, 100% double attack, chokers and various other new effects which increase the damage output of players even more than before.

The 40% "fix" was a bad idea then and still is so now because it is too harsh on specific classes.

If you're concerned that overall DPS is too high tone it down across the board but balance it out with hps and ask each guild on the server to supply a decent group to test it on PVP test. My guild would gladly supply a group, and I am sure others would be happy to participate too.

Just turning it on would be a bad idea imo.

Valdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:35 AM   #63
Azol

Loremaster

Give us dedicated PVP developer, please!!!
Old 04-07-2009, 01:47 PM   #64
Sprin
Server: Nagafen
Guild: L U S H

General

Killque wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

They should not nerf a single spell or CA being cast, but the DPS and HPS, if you like. A Mage can cast Fission in 3.5 seconds for, say 13k. That is 3714 DPS. You have 3.5 seconds to kill or at least interrupt him (and there is no 100% guarantee Fission won't get resisted). A Scout can use 3-5 CAs in 3.5 seconds and do even more DPS. If you implement 40% rule, Fission will hit for, like, 6k instead, so Mage DPS will be 1714. Scout DPS will stay the same. Congratulations on new Everscout update.

Dude, do you even play this game? I mean come on! Your math is sort of correct, but it's application in game is all wrong.

Wizards do NOT have it as hard as you think. I have seen full groups take more than 30-40 seconds to kill a solo wizard and he takes a few of them out in the process.

You are making it sound like wizards are easy to kill, and you are dead wrong.

Without getting into the manashield debate, which i dont really think is a debate, its massively OP.... but i digress... 

As much as i hate getting one shotted, i must say, when my HP goes down from 100 percent to 0 percent in less then a second, its 99.999% of the time NOT a single spell... its a series of attacks / procs / triggers....  So as much as i would love to say, make a cap!!... its not reasonable.  It would nerf very little of the actual "one shots" that people get and would make those classes with long spell cast times and heavy hitters nearly worthless and make the "multiple quick attack/procs" classes untouchable. 

Just about every time i get "one shotted" i say to myself... [Removed for Content], how did he one shot me... look at the combo log and (of course ist a scout class) i see that in one seccond they did.  1900 CA, 2400 double auto attack, 900 x 3 procs, 120 x 5 procs etc etc... = 100%+ of my HP = i got "one shotted" with a serious of little attacks and procs and triggers...  nerf the "one shot damage" to 40 percent and you'd be skipping that kind of "one shot" and only nerfing the long cast time spell attacks (not including Death touch, which is insta cast and nearly irresistable, as per its very own description.. which should be nerfed to kingdom come BTW)...

That being said, i certainly dont think Wizzys and other really hard hitting mages have it as hard as they always say... Alot of times they say "oh its a 4 second cast time this, or a 2.5 second cast time that" and 4 seconds at 10k is way underpowered compared to scouts 10k in 1 second....  the thing is, in most cases if a mage see's someone coming they are casting the second they get you in their range, which is usually 30+ meters, so the time it takes said scout to get the 30 meters that casting time is down to almost nothing, so its usually an even playing field, not even counting the root they can cast if they want to...  A scout or melee class cant cast until they are within 5 meters, which gives the mage class a 25-30 meter buffer in which to cast their long casting spell, which does even the playing field down to closer levels... 

I just dont think a cap on a single hit will balance anything out... My toon went from Illy to coercer... and i knwo that people think that coercers "one shot"... essentially they do.. (or can) but its not a single attack, its a half dozen debuffs and a single cast that procs a dozen damage procs... so that wouldnt do anything for scout / fighter "one shots" or most mage "one shots".. and healers dont usually one shot, so that would really only nerf one or 2 classes that have that ability....  and like said before... get 60+ critical mitigation which is usually PVP chest and Pants, and if you get shard armor plus those 2 pieces, then your looking at 70+ crit mitigation and usually lots of resists, and your not going to get one shotted by those high powered mage spells, only those 20 in one shots from the scouts / mages...

bad idea to bring back a 40% rule... if anything, a super high amount... like a 90 percent rule, would take the one shot element out of it, but allow for procs from gear to finish that off anyways... so a few nice pieces of raid / instance / collection gear and you can hit for 90 percent of someones HP in one shot and the other procs can finish them off... this would still reward people for actually gearing out their players but would prevent the true "one shots" from occuring.

Sprin is offline   Reply With Quote