EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > General EverQuest II Discussion > General Gameplay Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-19-2007, 01:01 PM   #1
_Kryogeni

General

I'm still patching from last night and I've been thinking about what class I'm going to choose when I finally finish patching next year.

I played a Pikeman in SWG and I was pretty much the only tank my guild had. It was alot of fun.

I've read a few posts saying that there was a serious shortage of tanks on some servers and/or most of the tanks suck. I'm not 100% on the way aggro works in this game, but I'm fairly certain it won't take me long to nail it.

So anyway, I'm looking for a good tank class that does good DPS and is still a class that will be useful in Raids and parties.

_Kryogeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 01:04 PM   #2
Birn

Loremaster

To be honest, most guilds are not really looking for a monk or a SK when they are raiding - there are of course exceptions but as it is now it can be hard to get into a raid guild with either one of the two classes. If you want a better chance of raiding as a tank you could either roll a guardian or a zerker.

"We have no plans what so ever to do actual sales of in game items, and I'm personally very opposed to the idea for EverQuest"

"We aren't going to be allowing RMT in any way, shape or form on the non-exchange enabled EQ II servers. Period."
Birn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 01:05 PM   #3
StoneySilen

General

Well since you said Raid, I wouldn't recommend Monk.  They are just a DPS class in most cases in raids and there are better DPS classes. Raid Tanks are generally Guardians/Berserkers with Offtanks being Berserkers/SK's sometimes Pallies.  Of course there is exceptions to this and some guilds use SK's/Pallies as main tanks etc...
Old 07-19-2007, 01:06 PM   #4
Thunderthyze

Loremaster

No shortage of tanks unless you are looking for a specific type then its Sod's Law I'm afraid.

High dps tank? Look no further than 'Zerker. Raiders will only ever be looking for Guards/Zerkers....all other tanks tend to be a bit superfluous in high end group play.

Thunderthyze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 01:08 PM   #5
Freliant

Loremaster

Good Tank and Good Dps are somewhat dis-similar.

Current order of tanking ability levels 1-70, non raid:

Guardian, Berzerker, Paladin, Shadowknight, Monk, Bruiser

Current order of DPS ability 1-70, non raid and not raid equipped:

Bruiser, Monk, Shadowknight, Berzerker, Guardian, Paladin

Current order of utility 1-70 non-raid:

Shadowknight, Berzerker, Paladin, Guardian, Monk, Bruiser

When it comes to raiding, you enter a brown smelly area that I don't want to get into atm, but according to most people current best tank for raids is the well played tank who doesn't wear leather. Take that any way you want ^_^

Sephastus 80 Wizard - Retired

Onosphire 80 Guardian- Retired
Freliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 01:09 PM   #6
Mabes

Loremaster

For grouping, yeah tanks find groups pretty easily, the sk would probably have a little bit of an easier time finding one, as there's a preconception that brawler tanks aren't good at tanking.  As far as dps goes, they're pretty close to equal, sk being perhaps a tad higher.  As far as raiding goes, neither class is really needed for raids, tbh you'll have a difficult time finding a raiding guild that is seeking either of those 2 classes.

Tion - Templar \ Jeweler - Nektulos
Varos - Assassin - Nektulos
Mabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 01:12 PM   #7
firexcracker

Lord

Birn wrote:
To be honest, most guilds are not really looking for a monk or a SK when they are raiding - there are of course exceptions but as it is now it can be hard to get into a raid guild with either one of the two classes. If you want a better chance of raiding as a tank you could either roll a guardian or a zerker.
See above ^ It tends to be difficult in general to get into a raiding guild as a fighter.  If you want to dps, there are dps classes who can do it way better than a fighter. If you want to tank, hold aggro, taunt, etc.. nobody does it like a fighter. If you want to dps, however, a fighter is not the right class.
firexcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:58 PM   #8
LordPazuzu

Loremaster

A properly geared and specced monk can tank end game group content just fine, right through Unrest.  Besides, who doesn't like group Feign Death?  For raiding the monk has to be more creative in becoming useful.  As far as DPS goes, the nukers and assassins will always out dps the monk.  The use of Feign Death along with the monk's superior avoidance, are two of it's most valuable assets.  Learn to apply those to situations.

I've seen SK's maintank raids without issue and they are more interesting to play than Guardians.  Guardians are a one trick pony.  AN SK with a high end fabled 2hander can deal out signifigant DPS.  What I would really like to see are the introduction of the superior SK/Pallie only 1handers from EQ1 that had damage stats like a 2handed weapon.  Mace of the Shadowed Soul, Lightblade of Vitality, and that swords that dropped in the bottom of Velketor's an the bottom of the Hole all come to mind.  I think that would do wonders to increase the desirability of the SK.

LordPazuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 10:05 PM   #9
Kram337

Loremaster

Brawlers (monks/bruisers) can tank level 70 group content just fine by the way. They just do more DPS while they're at it. As for raiding, I'd think the DPS a brawler brings to a raid would be more desirable than the SK's DPS. Though I've recently heard of SK's doing 1.5k dps zonewide while raiding. I know bruisers can do 1.5-2k zone wide or more. Heck, a well played bruiser can consistently out parse the T1 dps'ers especially if they take agro or have issues with the AoE's. Oh anyway, to answer the OP's question, I'd go with monk. (or bruiser SMILEY but I'm bias)
Kram337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 04:05 AM   #10
Rahatmattata

Loremaster

Of the 2 options, I'd pick monk. Group FD is better than evac. For raiding, IMO it will be easier to get in a raid as a monk. A monk *should* do more dps than a SK if gear & skill is as equal as it can be, and both are in optimal group setups. There are a select few encounters and raid zones where a brawler is very handy to have for pulling and FDing. SKs have FD too but I *think* it's on a longer timer. And monks can FD the entire group if a raid wipe is incoming. If I was a raid leader I wouldn't even run a crusader if I had other classes to pick from. I'd pick a monk over a SK or Paladin every time, but that's just me. And this is assuming I had a warrior MT & OT which are a dime a dozen, so not hard to get.

Basically, play which ever you have the most fun with because both classes are gonna have about an equally hard time getting a raid slot, but IMO monk has the slight advantage over SK for getting a spot. However, in groups 99% of the time a group will pick a SK tank over a monk tank. Monks seem to have issues holding aggro on multiple mobs in AE dps heavy groups, especially multiple encounters. Also, in raids if it comes down to it... a SK is most likely going to be picked to tank than a monk.

I'd pick monk just because it's more fun IMO. Just beware, either class you pick is going to struggle to get into a high end raid guild, you might have to shoot for casual/alliance raiding, but that's fine if that's your thing. One last thing to think about... swashbucklers and brigands do excellent dps, can tank most raid/group content, are about 1,000 times more fun to play IMO, have a much higher chance of getting in a top end raid guild, and get all the goodies scouts get.

A Cure For Cancer
Rahatmattata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 07:27 AM   #11
Norrsken

Loremaster

Freliant wrote:

Good Tank and Good Dps are somewhat dis-similar.

Current order of tanking ability levels 1-70, non raid:

Guardian, Berzerker, Paladin, Shadowknight, Monk, Bruiser

Current order of DPS ability 1-70, non raid and not raid equipped:

Bruiser, Monk, Shadowknight, Berzerker, Guardian, Paladin

Current order of utility 1-70 non-raid:

Shadowknight, Berzerker, Paladin, Guardian, Monk, Bruiser

When it comes to raiding, you enter a brown smelly area that I don't want to get into atm, but according to most people current best tank for raids is the well played tank who doesn't wear leather. Take that any way you want ^_^

I actually think that sks can tank just as well as a guardian in basically all instances, IF geared and specced for it. They will also hav the dps of a defensive guardian if they do though. SMILEY and in groups, tankin ability is basically the same between all tanks. I mean, if no one can rip aggro of either tank unless going nutty and opening up with their highest hit before the tank has a lockdown on aggro, the difference is naught.

Norrsken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 05:06 PM   #12
Ealthina

Loremaster

Well watching my wifes monk on raids and just general playing I'd go with a Monk any day.  On raids she consitantly parses 1.4 - 1.8k.  Her avoidance in Defensive pushes upwards of 65% making it very easy for me to heal her.  Pulling is cake with FD pulls.  No reason NOT to go with a Monk.
Ealthina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 04:56 AM   #13
Albrig

General

There was a Paladin in my group. Pretty well geared.

There was also a Bruiser in the group. The Bruiser pulled aggro a lot of the time and could tank and beat the crap out of anything it pulled - whilst having the Assassin in the group on 24% aggro transfer, decently geared too.

The Paladin changed that around.

The next time you're in a group and you find yourself saying without thinking "We have a REAL tank now", think again.

Albrig is offline   Reply With Quote