EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > Station Forums > Player Studio Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-19-2012, 10:00 PM   #1
rollenzekson

Happy Camper

I just had a cloak rejected because it uses an in game symbol and want to warn you that there are 8 more with other similar symbols in my art pipeline. I do not have an issue with them being rejected, but could somebody official publish what we are allowed to take from within game and what we are not? I had an item rejected because it was not Everquest enough so I thought to myself "what is more Everquest than a diety symbol?".

Thanks in advance,

Rollen

rollenzekson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:37 AM   #2
floydbishop

Developer

While I don't know the official stance on this (someone else form SOE chime in here if I'm wrong), I think you can recreate something like a symbol from the game, but you cannot just copy paste from a screen shot or something like that.

For example, a cloak with a drawing of a tree would be fine, but a cloak with a screen shot of an in game tree would probably not be. Again, if I'm mistaken, someone please correct me.

floydbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:39 PM   #3
Eden_Evergreen

Happy Camper

I'm curious for the purposes of making paintings...

Would it be "ok" to use a screen-shot for a background, and then add in my own depictions of EQ2 or FreeRealms characters for the foreground?

Or should both background and foreground be entirely without imagery from in-game?

Asking this because I have some ideas for paintings, but do not wish to waste my time and SOE's by using too much from in-game, so that it would result in a rejection.

Thank you for your time.

PS - Mr. Floyd Bishop, *fabulous* job animating cats in FreeRealms. Helps me miss having a live kitty less.

Eden_Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:56 PM   #4
IceSy

Happy Camper

I was also thinking of using screen shots from EQ to make "paintings / pictures", but of EQ landscapes that I have taken over the years. No Characters are in them,. just landscape shots.

IceSy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:08 PM   #5
Eden_Evergreen

Happy Camper

... and that would likely have been my next question. SMILEY

I'm very much a beginner in the modeling end of things, though I've been doing textures for several years. A rectangular painting sounds like something I might manage to accomplish in the foreseeable future -- so anything to do with images that might make the painting worth looking at are very intriguing to me. SMILEY

Old 12-22-2012, 03:24 PM   #6
HaohmaruEQ2

Developer

Eden_Evergreen wrote:

... and that would likely have been my next question.

I'm very much a beginner in the modeling end of things, though I've been doing textures for several years. A rectangular painting sounds like something I might manage to accomplish in the foreseeable future -- so anything to do with images that might make the painting worth looking at are very intriguing to me.

Original 'illustrations' of EverQuest (1 or 2) locations/people/etc would be great. You'd need to create a frame to house the painting and work it into the same texture limitations. If the back of the painting was a little 'flat' texturally (to save the majority of the texture for the painting and some strips for the painting frame), that'd be ok.

However, things like 'paintings' open an interesting door - namely, Screenshots as paintings. I'm not sure what our stance is on this yet, but it could lead to hundreds of submissions of screenshot paintings due to the low barrier of entry. Sounds good until you realize that quantity is not always quality and keeping a healthy market of quality items should further its (and your) success and encourages better entries.

I think if the painting felt like a unique painting and came off as something fellow players would want it would be ok but still subject to our review in the end. We (EQ2) would prefer as much of the item be originally created without EQ2 assets, but as we're still massaging this program, even that stance could change.

HaohmaruEQ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:51 PM   #7
Eden_Evergreen

Happy Camper

HaohmaruEQ2 wrote:

Eden_Evergreen wrote:

...  anything to do with images that might make the painting worth looking at are very intriguing to me.

Original 'illustrations' of EverQuest (1 or 2) locations/people/etc would be great. ...

However, things like 'paintings' open an interesting door - namely, Screenshots as paintings. ... it could lead to hundreds of submissions of screenshot paintings ... Sounds good until you realize that quantity is not always quality ...

I think if the painting felt like a unique painting and came off as something fellow players would want it would be ok but still subject to our review in the end. We (EQ2) would prefer as much of the item be originally created without EQ2 assets, but as we're still massaging this program, even that stance could change.

Thank you for that information.

I agree that it's better to have fewer high-quality than many low-quality items, when adding to the SC Market. *nod*

My thought had been to possibly use original work in the foreground with an EQ2 screenshot as part of the background.

However, with the "We (EQ2) would prefer as much of the item be originally created without EQ2 assets..." that answers my question. With that information, I would probably avoid using a screen-shot except perhaps as showing "outdoors environment" through the window of an indoor image, for example.

I'll focus on cloaks for now, since at least I know that geometry passes inspection! *winks conspiratorially*

Again, thank you for your time and for giving us more information.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:47 AM   #8
convict

The Quiet Type

I hope that's the stance they take on it, or else they will get overloaded with submissions.

convict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:37 PM   #9
Ngreth

Developer

I am often a decider in items if they make it to me.  (To make it to me, art has to pass it for poly limit, and other art technicalities)

In my opinion, screen shot paintings are OKAY with ONE major caveat.  I do not want a screenshot.

I want something that looks like it was done with oil paint (or some equivalent medium)

So I would want a "filter" run over the image to make it look like a watercolor... or oil painting, etc.  I think you get the idea.

Ngreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:05 PM   #10
Syrah

Player Studio Program Manager

Let's also talk about symbols. Let's say you really like the symbol on the sails of this ship...

https://www.everquest2.com/images/e...istofwastes.jpg

...and you wanted to put it on something -- a cloak, a piece of furniture, etc.

Can you copy it? No, you need to redraw it and add your own flair to it. It can obviously relate to that image and be intended to communicate that kinship, but it needs to have your own creativity.

It's like American Idol/Pop Idol... you can't just sing the song exactly like the original recording artist. You need to make it your own somehow.

Hope this helps.

Syrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:49 AM   #11
Covic

Developer

With all submissions we want them to be your own creative design.  Reference to symbols and items in game are ok but we want the artist to do the work of creating something unique. 

Covic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:32 PM   #12
Cakvala

Happy Camper

Ngreth wrote:

I am often a decider in items if they make it to me.  (To make it to me, art has to pass it for poly limit, and other art technicalities)

In my opinion, screen shot paintings are OKAY with ONE major caveat.  I do not want a screenshot.

I want something that looks like it was done with oil paint (or some equivalent medium)

So I would want a "filter" run over the image to make it look like a watercolor... or oil painting, etc.  I think you get the idea.

SO YOUR THE ONE! MUHAHAHAHAH... So where do I send the Candy, Chips, Cokes and or Alcohol too? (joking)

Cakvala is offline   Reply With Quote