EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > Station Forums > Player Studio Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-16-2012, 01:55 AM   #1
rollenzekson

Happy Camper

12/15/2012 I see that player made items are now for sale in Everquest.

There are only 5 items for sale and 4 of them were from one artist.

This begs a few questions from me. Are items going to be put up in sections by artist name? How many items can/will be up for sale at one time? How long will our items stay up for sale? Will sales volume on said items dictate how long they remain on the market?

I just had three newely submitted items get accepted while I have several older items that are still under review. Is this because the artists working on the items have different work loads? Is it possible some items are falling through the cracks? If not then should we take the long delay as a good or bad sign?

One last thing: I saw in the Everquest2 thread that you would like to see collaboration between artist i.e. where one person models and another does the texture work. While I can do both well enough I would not mind doing a few models only and let somebody else do the texturing especially on models that I might have rejected because of texture. Is there a system in place where the modeler can be assured to be credited for his/her work since it would be the texture artist submitting the item?

Thanks in advance;

Rollen

rollenzekson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #2
Syrah

Player Studio Program Manager

rollenzekson wrote:

12/15/2012 I see that player made items are now for sale in Everquest.

There are only 5 items for sale and 4 of them were from one artist.

This begs a few questions from me. Are items going to be put up in sections by artist name? How many items can/will be up for sale at one time? How long will our items stay up for sale? Will sales volume on said items dictate how long they remain on the market?

I just had three newely submitted items get accepted while I have several older items that are still under review. Is this because the artists working on the items have different work loads? Is it possible some items are falling through the cracks? If not then should we take the long delay as a good or bad sign?

One last thing: I saw in the Everquest2 thread that you would like to see collaboration between artist i.e. where one person models and another does the texture work. While I can do both well enough I would not mind doing a few models only and let somebody else do the texturing especially on models that I might have rejected because of texture. Is there a system in place where the modeler can be assured to be credited for his/her work since it would be the texture artist submitting the item?

Thanks in advance;

Rollen

Hi Rollen,

Last Thursday we added ten player-made items to the EverQuest store. Our plan is to add ten more this week and for the next few weeks. This allows items to get a little more attention in the spotlight. If we just added them all in, I don't think this would be as fun and I don't think each item would get the attention it deserves.

Sections will not be by artist names. Some artists make a lot of items and many just make one. We would need to make some substantial updates to the EQ store to be able to support an optional view by artist.

Several folks have asked "how long will something stay on the market?" and that's a case-by-case thing. If something is in a crowded category, we will need to rotate stock in and out. If something sells exceptionally well, it will be very hard to rotate it out. If something is seasonal, we would likely bring it back every year for its season. If there aren't many options in a category, we would not take those items down. We need them for variety and choice.

Some items take longer than others. This is not a good sign or a bad sign. Sometimes it does have to do with the workload of the artist best suited to work with you on that item. If the artist asks for a particle effect, that will automatically lengthen the period of time. Example: you submit a fireplace furniture item and want a smoke effect coming from the appropriate place.

-Syrah

Syrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:24 PM   #3
rollenzekson

Happy Camper

I agree with not wanting to flood the market, but I would also like to see some of my items up for sale and or at least being able to tell my friends when they will be for sale. Is there anyway you can let us know how many items have been approved so far or some number where we can make our own rough estimate?

Thanks,

Rollen

Old 12-17-2012, 04:46 PM   #4
IceSy

Happy Camper

Will we have a way to check a "sales report" for ourselves?

Thanks!

IceSy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #5
IceSy

Happy Camper

rollenzekson wrote:

I honestly do not see how this would be a good idea. It could pose huge amounts of issues due to not only who gets credit, but how would you do "pay-outs"? While this is a nice thought, it is not very likely to happen anytime soon. 

Also, in my case, I have certain textures already in mind when I start making something. Trying to relay that, and have it interpreted correctly could become a nightmare, both for the person creating the object, and the person creating the textures.

IceSy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:05 PM   #6
rollenzekson

Happy Camper

It's good to have a texture in mind when doing a model, but at least for me I get additional ideas for textures while modeling and texturing an object. Personally I am still a babe in the woods when it comes to photoshop so I always experiment with different effects and many times these experiments give me an idea for a new texture. I have submitted a few items with the same model, but significantly different textures.

It would be cool to see how other people would texture my models.