EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > Station Forums > Player Studio Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-10-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
prind

I just recieved the news that my scythe submission (Hand of Sorrow) was declined due to it being outside the "aesthetic boundaries" of EverQuest. I am hoping to get a little more specific feedback as to what part was outside of those boundaries.

Here is a render of the item:

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/...creenshotmf.jpg

I was really hoping to finally see a decent looking scythe in EQ for necros and shadowknights to use. I tried to use realistic textures and materials with darker colors so it wouldn't be too bright for the setting of EQ. Your time is appreciated!

~Prindan Beoulve

prind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:41 PM   #2
rollenzekson

Happy Camper

I looked at your JPEG and the Scythe looks good from that angle. One thing though is their use of "aesthetic boundaries" is pretty generic. It might be because your black texture is too dark and there is little discernable detail. What else did they say about it? If they didn't say anything else then the item is probably too close to another item in game already. It also might be that your normal map is not coming through very well.  You could use the illusion of pitting where you have rust divots on the blade.

It's frustrating I know. I have had a couple of my favorite items get rejected while others that I thought were inferior to my favorite items are in the accepted stage. Read their notes and if they say the item shows promise then adjust the texture maps accordingly.

rollenzekson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #3
Laku

The Quiet Type

Hi Prindan, there is a support email on the player studio page for asking the team for more specifics, I have used this before myself. It's a nice scythe. A few thing you might want to consider is using a less pure black. Black is a very hard color to use, and if you use it it's sometimes a good idea to break it up with other (brighter) colors. The second thing that caught my eye is that the blade comes out of the handle from the top, when most scythe's blades tend to come out at a right angle. I hope this helps.

Laku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:22 PM   #4
feldon30

SOE Community Council

It may be the blood. The team has to build items which fit within PEGI and other game ratings.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
rollenzekson

Happy Camper

feldon30 wrote:

It may be the blood. The team has to build items which fit within PEGI and other game ratings.

It's not the blood. I have an item in the accepted stage that is covered in blood. The more I look at it the more I think it's the black. Can you re-render with a white or grey background?

rollenzekson is offline   Reply With Quote